I bought a guitar is it rubbish? Page 6

• DrStrangelove 19 Mar 2016 20:03:31 15,207 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I still don't understand what's the point of an amp that's not a Marshall. Of course, it would be bad if everyone sounded the same, but I don't understand why people spend their hard-earned money on something else. Some of them aren't even cheaper! Madness.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 20:06:21 19-03-2016
  • Deleted user 19 March 2016 20:20:55
    Because Orange and Matchless are better
  • Cappy 19 Mar 2016 23:31:11 14,218 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    My amp has been in storage for over a decade, I hook up to an ancient Phillips karaoke machine on the rare occasions when I want a bit more volume. I have no complaints.
  • DrStrangelove 20 Mar 2016 18:20:04 15,207 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    PES_Fanboy wrote:
    Because Orange and Matchless are better
    Pfft, you can emulate an Orange by using the cheapest fuzz pedal you can find
  • Mr_Sleep 20 Mar 2016 18:23:20 23,445 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @DrStrangelove I have a laney valve amp and it is much nicer than my old Marshall. Oh and the Fender Twin is a thing of beauty that Marshall will never match.
  • Deleted user 20 March 2016 18:23:26
    I can emulate a Marshall stack with my iPad app. Sadly, that argument has died with the modellers. I am deffo saving up for a Kemper
  • DrStrangelove 20 Mar 2016 18:43:46 15,207 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    PES_Fanboy wrote:
    I can emulate a Marshall stack with my iPad app. Sadly, that argument has died with the modellers. I am deffo saving up for a Kemper
    Nope. I've owned many modelling amps/tools and none of them is a replacement for any valve amp. All solid state modellers I've tried sound like shit, the hybrid ones sound better, but still like cheap wannabes. I didn't know about the Kemper before, I hope I'll be able to try it at my local shop, because it does sound intriguing, but I'm cautious, because no modelling amp I ever tried lived up to its promises. Also, if everything I want is a Marshall, I'm not sure something that tries to copy another amp is what I want--instead of just getting the one and only amp I need.

With every modelling thing I settled for one setting at some point and stopped using any other. Later I found out that was always the respective device's Marshall emulation.

I'm usually one for alternatives and underdogs, and with guitars, cars, everything, there's good and bad about this and that. For example, after opting for alternatives like Framus, I ended up loving Gibsons even though I think they're overpriced and need modding and better pups, I love Jacksons although they don't have quite the character of a Gibson, etc... but with amps, I've owned a lot, I've tried a lot, and other than in any other area, when it comes to amps Marshall is the answer to all my questions. They're just so insanely good. Half of all big metal bands still use the JCM800, but I don't think that's just misguided brand loyalty, they simply are evil motherfuckers if you excuse my language.

They're not the best at clean sounds, I'll give you that. But for overdrive, they're the alpha and omega.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 18:56:46 20-03-2016
  • DrStrangelove 20 Mar 2016 18:50:09 15,207 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    @DrStrangelove I have a laney valve amp and it is much nicer than my old Marshall. Oh and the Fender Twin is a thing of beauty that Marshall will never match.
    As an old Sabbath fan, I have a soft spot for Laney, I've owned two, but they're just not my cup of tea for how I want to sound like. I want that bite, and somehow Marshalls seems to be the only ones to give me that.
  • Deleted user 20 March 2016 20:09:45
    I'm with you on valve amp niceness but trust me, when you try the Kemper. They're basically obsolete, you just need a cab or two and you're able to model anything, even if it isn't onboard already, they can model any amp you mic up.

To an extent that, in a 'deaf' test, my mate whom has worked in studios all his professional life (and has the best ear of anyone I know) couldn't identify his own amp from the model.
  • DrStrangelove 20 Mar 2016 21:28:43 15,207 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Lies. I shall try it, but still... lies!
  • Deleted user 20 March 2016 21:30:44
    Sad times (for amp sellers). For everyone else, 1,500 gets you the tone of every amp and effect that's ever been produced
  • DrStrangelove 20 Mar 2016 21:36:35 15,207 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Even worse, for less than that you get the best amp there is
  • Deleted user 20 March 2016 22:30:34
    I have an Egnater Tweaker 40w valve head I push through a jet city 2x12 cab. Its pretty monstrous. I love it.

For quieter times I use a Yamaha TRH10 which is one cool, fantastic sounding little amp. I also love it.
  • Deleted user 21 March 2016 21:14:33
    So my totally-not-a-PRS-Custom Harley Benton finally arrived today, and I've spent a couple of hours with it.

And....it's fucking incredible, just like the others I've seen. I paid 220 for it, and the finish is pretty much flawless and it looks super expensive, the pups are fantastic (Wilkinson), the tuners are the best I've ever used (shit all over those on my Fender, Gretsches and Gibson) and I've never had a guitar ship to me which has been IN TUNE before! It doesn't need anything, even the action plays great out of the box.

Niggles - and these are really picky:

Tremolo attachment is a bit weird, not a screw in like Fender, took me a minute to work out how (push the bar down, then tighten underneath with a small provided Allen key).

Fretboard is parched. This is usually the case on most guitars to be honest, I just wish I knew why they ship without having been oiled

Parcelforce took five days to move it 16 miles from Heathrow to my apartment, and have managed to lose the kit box I ordered at the same time
  • Deleted user 21 March 2016 21:14:59
    Pic does it no justice whatsoever
  • elstoof 21 Mar 2016 21:43:58 25,868 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Maybe you calling your flat an apartment confused them.
  • elstoof 21 Mar 2016 21:45:16 25,868 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Finish does look good though.
  • Deleted user 22 March 2016 05:45:24
    If they saw my curtains they'd have hung onto it forever
  • elstoof 22 Mar 2016 07:38:28 25,868 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I thought you were doing a gig in a knocking shop.
  • Fourwisemen 22 Mar 2016 07:53:43 913 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The boy came over at the weekend and gave his HB a test drive and loves it. It does need a proper set up, the action is a bit on the high side and the electrics are a bit sketchy but can't really complain as it was advertised as B stock.

It was bought as a project guitar so will no doubt be a different colour, have different pick ups and all sorts soon but he was over the moon with it. In his words 'with a set up and a bit of tweaking it could be as good as my Schecter c-1 classic' and he loves that guitar.

Once he's done what he wants to do with it it'll probably be his gigging guitar, it's a bit lighter weight than the Schecter. All told, a very happy customer.
  • Deleted user 22 March 2016 09:27:11
    170!

I'm not sure on the depth, it doesn't feel any different from the maple top of my other expensive guitars.

I've spent this morning divebombing the whammy and the thing is resolutely staying in tune. Bearing in mind it MUST have spent time in a cold warehouse before being in the balmy living room of my gaff, I can't believe how well it is doing!

All in all, it's a pisstake. Apparently they have a team in Denmark who contract out all the guitars to different Chinese manufacturers depending on their skills in what they need. Then they get them back, do QA checks (put them as 'B', 'D' or chuck out those which are not best quality) and set them up (in Denmark) before sending to Thomann.

If I had one of these as a beginner, I wouldn't have quit fumfteen times
  • DrStrangelove 22 Mar 2016 09:42:49 15,207 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    PES_Fanboy wrote:

I've spent this morning divebombing the whammy and the thing is resolutely staying in tune.
    How is that possible? Almost all trems I've tried, among them Fender, Ibanez and Kahler, had trouble staying in tune
  • Deleted user 22 March 2016 09:44:31
    PES_Fanboy wrote:
    I've spent this morning divebombing the whammy and the thing is resolutely staying in tune.
    I was just about to ask that. I'm always wary of low cost trems as my first real guitar was a cheap super strat (probably cost about 170 all those years ago) with a replica Floyd Rose style locking tremolo. It absolutely did not want to stay in tune. Add that to the relative complexity of tuning a dodgy double locking guitar when you're a beginner with less than perfect pitch. I ended up screwing it flat.

The question I have to answer is do I need another guitar...
  • Deleted user 22 March 2016 09:50:38
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    PES_Fanboy wrote:

How is that possible? Almost all trems I've tried, among them Fender, Ibanez and Kahler, had trouble staying in tune
    Yep, my Strat is a fucker, it'll literally budge within ten minutes of playing. This one, well, maybe I got super lucky, I wasn't going to attach the trem arm, as I thought it was going to be dreadful, but it just isn't.

When I get a bit of time, I'll take the whole thing apart. I want to look at the pots and see what's in there, but I also want to see who makes the bridge. The tuners, as I wrote yesterday, are utterly brilliant.

I keep waiting for something catastrophic to happen.

They even strung it with D'Addarios!
  • elstoof 23 Mar 2016 13:43:33 25,868 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Just order a HARLEY BENTON Sortacaster, Thought I'd get in on the HB love while I wait for a USACG order to come through. These things have got some mad love over on the forums. Was thinking about their kit guitar to have a run through of assembly before getting the deluxe build going, but doing a decent finish on the body would push the price up quite a bit. The Te-20 I went for is the same 70ish as the kit costs! just buying the cans of primer, paint and lacquer would cost that.

I'll probably end up taking this apart and putting it back together after a clean up,this one had quite a lot of shit inside so it'll essentially be like making the kit anyway.
  • Deleted user 23 March 2016 14:38:54
    Nice, I've sanded off a top coat of my LP kit body and started staining it. I'm doing a red stain and then lacquer.

The kit itself is much higher quality than those I've used before, neck joint is snug. As it should be as these are presumably done using the same tooling as the completed guitars. Not too convinced on the pups and pots, but I haven't listened to them yet, planning on soldering up and trying before buttoning everything up, I would ideally like gold hardware on it anyway if I'm being a guitar tart (always).

The PRS clone: I genuinely haven't used any other guitar since getting it Monday. It is utterly fabulous, the only minute issue I've found after many playing hours is the fret end edges aren't as smooth as they could be. But I only know that from specifically running my palm along the edge of the fretboard, it is unimportant when playing
  • Deleted user 23 March 2016 14:43:35
    Already planning next kit though on basis of how good the LP one is: natural finish Partsocaster with single humbucker and scalloped frets for Yngwie
  • elstoof 23 Mar 2016 15:09:22 25,868 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    You're going to scallop them?

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.