I bought a guitar is it rubbish? Page 2

• mothercruncher 9 Feb 2016 07:50:57 16,216 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've made my own- a "W" special, according to my self made headstock graphic, bought a neck, made the rest. Love it to bits, I can never sell it.
    I also rescued a 1973 Ibanez SG lawsuit copy from the scrap heap. Really bashed about, huge divots in the fretboard from all those years playing, covered in nicotine, humbuckers acting like single coils etc. Fixed fretboard, rewired, skimmed the neck, plays really nicely now though the tight fret spacing takes getting used to.
    None of my stuff is valuable, but priceless nonetheless :)
  • brigadier 9 Feb 2016 07:55:47 1,036 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Reading that just reminded me I bought a Telecaster that looked like it fell off the back of a truck. Chunks of the body had been glued back on, at least that's what it looked like. The lead would only stay in the guitar if you put it in a certain way. Loved that piece of shit. Sadly my ex-girlfriend took it after we broke up, I wasn't bothered at the time since I'd already upgraded but now I want that bad boy back!
  • Deleted user 9 February 2016 08:01:55
    I want to do a guitar repair course, I've got a mate who does it, it's a proper skill. He bought a real piece of shit plank a few years ago, re fretted it and lowered the action plus loads of other things and it plays like a dream.

Slight Trigger's Broom about it but if you take his time as 'free', I think it cost him about fifty quid and it does play better than my telecaster :(
  • THFourteen 9 Feb 2016 08:44:15 51,988 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Guitar is fine, you are rubbish
  • Deleted user 9 February 2016 09:17:50
    OP gonna cut you
  • Deleted user 9 February 2016 09:24:18
    Classic wellsie
  • Deleted user 9 February 2016 09:27:30
    @brigadier I was looking at the Epiphone SG Special (I think it's "Special", as it's the cheapest of the range at 150) to go with Rocksmith on PC in an attempt to get back into playing after 10 years+ without touching a guitar. Is the SG worth it or should I look for something 2nd hand for the same price? Rocksmith is more so I don't have to buy an amp and pedals at this point
  • THFourteen 9 Feb 2016 10:17:29 51,988 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Can you actually learn guitar from Rocksmith btw?
  • Deleted user 9 February 2016 10:19:19
    I don't think you can learn fundamentals but I would say if you've had a couple of lessons then RockSmith is pretty ace to learn how to play the songs on it, which will get you some way.

For 30 quid, it's probably the best learning tool out there.
  • neems 9 Feb 2016 10:19:34 4,552 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Kovacs77

As much as I love Rocksmith (it's the only thing I use electric with) I doubt you really need anything too fancy if that's all you're intending to use it for. Even though I have completely ignored that advice myself.
  • Deleted user 9 February 2016 10:20:26
    By funamentals I mean the pure basics, such as how to fret properly, how to hold the pick etc.

An actual RGT person can put you on that road much better.
  • THFourteen 9 Feb 2016 10:34:05 51,988 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    PES_Fanboy wrote:
    By funamentals I mean the pure basics, such as how to fret properly, how to hold the pick etc.

An actual RGT person can put you on that road much better.
    Well i have an electric guitar that i tried to learn how to play 15 years ago. I bought a "guitar for dummies" book, but got bored of trying to learn scales and whatnot so never stuck at it. Plus my hands are puny making things where you push all the strings at once difficult to play (barre chords?)

And the songs in the for dummies book were pretty dull like old mcdonald, stuff like that.

I could play the intro to that nirvana song. Over and over again.

So in short, i guess i know how to hold the pick and make a rudimentary chord, and i can probably re-learn how to read tab as i've forgot now.

Had the guitar sitting in a closet for years
  • Rivuzu 9 Feb 2016 10:34:31 18,146 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I really enjoyed my time with Rocksmith, but I was using a Bass guitar with no prior knowledge of how to play at all. Admittedly the easier route. Still bits about it I don't quite understand.
  • neems 9 Feb 2016 10:41:29 4,552 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @THFourteen

I got started when a house mate at uni showed me how to play the intro to 'Come as you are'. Several years later I learnt how to play the rest of it :)
  • Deleted user 9 February 2016 10:43:56
    There are plenty of fairly-convincing videos on youtube of people learning to play from scratch using Rocksmith, not sure how sponsored-by-ubisoft those videos are though! They claim 60 days to learn to play the riff from Walk This Way by Aerosmith, from never having held a guitar before.
  • neems 9 Feb 2016 11:02:03 4,552 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Speaking of Rocksmith, does anybody know where I could get a cheap Real Tone Cable? I live in constant fear of this one breaking, but not 25 worth of fear.
  • Deleted user 9 February 2016 11:17:08
    Not what you asked but if you attach the Real Tone cable to a more stable standard instrument cable using something like a cheap guitar tuner or pedal it'll protect it more. My Real Tone cable hardly gets near my dangerous hands.
  • DrStrangelove 9 Feb 2016 11:22:04 14,115 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Kovacs77

I haven't tried the Special models, but all I tried from Epiphone was good value. Personally, I'd probably look for a used higher range model like a G-310 or G-400, you might get one of those for not much more.

I still have my G-400, my first guitar from 18 years ago, and after replacing the pickups with Seymour Duncan Black Winters I don't play anything else anymore. Mind, my other guitars are Framus, Jackson, Gibson and Charvel, each roughly 2-3 times as expensive as the Epi. It now does everything from clean to black metal wonderfully, and I love the look and sound and feel of SGs anyway.

I think the SG is an excellent beginner's guitar, it's very comfortable and lightweight, great playability, and the slightly shorter Gibson/Epi necks may be a little easier on you when stretching your fingers.

edit: ironically, the SG is the most and the Les Paul the least comfortable guitar I know.

At least in the past, the one letdown of Epis were the muddy pickups, although people say they have improved over the years. But they worked well enough for beginners, and if you wish you can later turn it into a beast with good aftermarket pickups.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 11:42:16 09-02-2016
  • Deleted user 9 February 2016 11:30:14
    Kovacs77 wrote:
    There are plenty of fairly-convincing videos on youtube of people learning to play from scratch using Rocksmith, not sure how sponsored-by-ubisoft those videos are though! They claim 60 days to learn to play the riff from Walk This Way by Aerosmith, from never having held a guitar before.
    Yeah, they're a decent tool but ultimately all that does is teach you how to play the riff from Walk This Way. I think you'd get into bad habits to enable playing that, which is why (IMO) the tutor is a good bet just for a few lessons to start.
  • PierrePressure 9 Feb 2016 12:32:19 943 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    First thing I did when I got my student loan was buy myself an expensive guitar.

I can play a few songs but once I started getting onto scales it lost me a bit so I gave up.

My guitar is a Maton MS501 they're an Australian company, think they're better known for acoustics.

The picture isn't mine (pinched it off ebay) but the guitar is the exact same model and colour as mine.

Hmm, think this thread has prompted me to give it another go.
  • Deleted user 9 February 2016 12:37:08
    Gnarly axe bro
  • mal 9 Feb 2016 12:39:54 29,326 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    PES_Fanboy wrote:
    It is a Gibson and yes, 2015 was dreadful for them but this is a 2016 and they're back baby
    Did it come in baby blue and white? That is teh secks :o
  • Deleted user 9 February 2016 12:45:21
    Blue mist, I believe.
  • Duffking 9 Feb 2016 12:51:01 16,160 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    PES_Fanboy wrote:
    Kovacs77 wrote:
    Yeah, they're a decent tool but ultimately all that does is teach you how to play the riff from Walk This Way. I think you'd get into bad habits to enable playing that, which is why (IMO) the tutor is a good bet just for a few lessons to start.
    Rocksmith actually makes it harder for a beginner because it doesn't correct bad playing habits, and also adds an extra layer of difficulty in having to read a bloody screen at the same time as putting your fingers on the right frets and fighting the right string to pick.
  • Deleted user 9 February 2016 13:23:38
    Duffking wrote:
    Rocksmith actually makes it harder for a beginner because it doesn't correct bad playing habits, and also adds an extra layer of difficulty in having to read a bloody screen at the same time as putting your fingers on the right frets and fighting the right string to pick.
    harder compared to what? versus a proper instructor, it's definitely worse, but it's better than nothing, and actually pretty good IMO.

the reading a screen thing is analogous to reading tabs IMO. although i think rocksmith does make it hard to break away from reading ANYTHING and do it from memory, as it's ironically much more intuitive to read than tab. with tab i initially found it hard to read at the same pace as i'm playing so i remembered everything instead. with rocksmith i struggle to play the songs from memory unless i learn them outside of the game after.
  • brokenkey 9 Feb 2016 13:34:20 10,235 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    gravearchitecture wrote:
    with rocksmith i struggle to play the songs from memory unless i learn them outside of the game after.
    That surprises me (genuinely), as I have muscle memory that allows me to do the just dance steps for "domino", and and drum on medium a range of tracks off Lego Rock Band.
  • Deleted user 9 February 2016 13:44:17
    brokenkey wrote:
    gravearchitecture wrote:
    with rocksmith i struggle to play the songs from memory unless i learn them outside of the game after.
    That surprises me (genuinely), as I have muscle memory that allows me to do the just dance steps for "domino", and and drum on medium a range of tracks off Lego Rock Band.
    i mainly play bass on rocksmith and it's pretty easy to just play anything that's on screen as it's so easy to just read + play. the downside is that if you turn the note highway off (as it does in master mode) i'll struggle to remember what i was playing because it goes straight from the screen to my fingers :)

different with guitar (for me).
  • Deleted user 9 February 2016 13:47:34
    @gravearchitecture tab is one of the issues I have - why did RockSmith go with the different orientation of the tab? Drives me nuts
  • Deleted user 9 February 2016 13:55:20
    @PES_Fanboy you can invert the orientation in rocksmith so it's 'right' like tabs. i sort of like the wrong way, though!

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.