I bought a guitar is it rubbish? Page 13

• elstoof 2 Sep 2018 20:14:33 23,968 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Justin guitar plays in Katie Meluaís band
  • Deleted user 2 September 2018 20:41:33
    Justin Guitar is the one in ZZ Top without a beard.
  • elstoof 2 Sep 2018 20:48:34 23,968 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    He genuinely does play for forum favourite Katie Melua though
  • Deleted user 2 September 2018 21:11:09
    This is the closest thing to crazy I have ever seen.
  • Load_2.0 2 Sep 2018 21:23:27 29,782 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I make love while playing the guitar.
  • elstoof 2 Sep 2018 21:27:30 23,968 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    She must have to go on top then
  • Load_2.0 2 Sep 2018 21:47:49 29,782 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    To myself.

I made another music hole.
  • elstoof 2 Sep 2018 21:56:45 23,968 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Must muffle the harmonica a bit
  • fontgeeksogood 2 Sep 2018 22:47:43 6,779 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    elstoof wrote:
    He genuinely does play for forum favourite Katie Melua though
    While my guitar gently sleeps (on Tempurgel)
  • MikeP 7 Oct 2018 12:49:20 2,942 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Picked up a new guitar, a Fender Modern Player Tele Plus. Single coil neck & mid pickups, coil tapped humbucker at the bridge. 5 position pickup switch & a maple neck. The rear of the body is sculpted so it's not as chunky as a regular telecaster.

Build quality is excellent and the tonal variety is great. Very happy with it.
  • MikeP 11 Oct 2018 19:37:14 2,942 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Oh and if anyone is the market for aftermarket pickups, I've just installed a humbucker from Tonerider, a UK based company. It sounds very, very, nice. And they come in at about £35, much cheaper than Seymour Duncans or DiMarzios.
  • Juz 17 Oct 2018 18:06:08 3,331 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Sounds nice, Mike and whilst on the subject of Fender..

Iím 99% down the road of chopping in the SG and Epi in px for a nice new Elite Stratocaster. This would leave me with the PRS SE and the Strat.

Anyone got any strong opinions either way on the Strat Elite?
  • Drakesmoke 17 Oct 2018 19:09:35 572 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Juz I have never tried one but own two which I picked after playing three types.

1. Mexican Standard. These have quite radically changed now, the standard Mex now have alnico pickups instead of the ceramics (not a fan of ceramics, it played OK though).

2. American Special. Texas Special pickups, CBS headstock, massive frets. Medium hot and basically sounds like SRV. Very easy bends with those fat tall frets.

3. 1960s Classic Player. Mex but with Custom Shop appointments and in the same price bracket as the Special. Thinner finish. Classic 69 custom shop pups (vintage output, very glassy and classic strat, beautiful clean and take fuzz brilliantly). Vintage capstan tuners.

Two point trem that holds tune marvellously. Mine is a very pale blue with a mint scratchplate, very John Lennon esque. 9.5 inch radius as a nod to modernity.

If you want classic strat tones and appearance, honestly go with 3, and use the change to get a Baja Tele (the brilliant, brilliant Tele version of this). Depends on what sound and level of modernity you want though.

For me, a mix of vintage sound/aesthetics but with a few of the vintage 'quirks' worked out is perfect, which the CP does brilliantly.

If you fancy trying that, make sure it is that model. Fender have a multitude of similar named strats, including a recent line with 7.5 inch radius which I don't like. Sounds great, just don't dig the curved board.
  • Juz 17 Oct 2018 22:50:15 3,331 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Drakesmoke

Cheers man!

The thing is that I donít think I can stomach the noise of single coil pups in terms of hum. I know that the Noiseless pups arenít supposed to be as pure a Strat sound as the vmods and such but itís gonna have to be a trade off for me. I would dearly love a sound as close to Gilmour as possible and it may be that the elite ainít the way to go.

However, the locking tuners and compound radius in addition to the Noiseless pups is probably too much of a pull. Iím gonna be heading up to Peach guitars this weekend with my 2 trade ins and Iíll see for myself..they also donít have the colour that Iíd really like so may be a deal breaker in itself.
  • Drakesmoke 18 Oct 2018 00:51:29 572 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Juz the vintage capstan type tuners in all honesty are like an early locking tuner!

Regards hum, obviously YMMV with tolerance for that. I don't notice lots at all and it can depend on how much gain you use, your chain, even lighting in venues etc can be a factor (never run your amp from the same power strip as stage lights!)

If you are mainly playing solo it could obviously be more of an issue, but then again hum is normally only experienced when not playing. I'm playing pretty damn loud and mostly clean/edge of breakup with a hard hitting drummer, horns and the kitchen sink thrown in so even in sections where I'm resting, it ain't an issue.

Between songs I can mute with my tuner so hum doesn't bother me - I want the purity. I'd avoid P90s if this is a problem for you.

One last point on strats and hum - positions 2 and 4 assuming you have a 5 way switch have some natural hum cancelling. Although I can never hear them over the band!

I did like the look of the Elite stuff though. In fact on their first run I considered the cherry sunburst Tele with the binding to be one of the more beautiful instruments I've seen. I'm interested in what you end up with anyway!

EDIT - if you do go Elite, interested in the compound radius experience pls

Edited by Drakesmoke at 00:53:26 18-10-2018
  • Juz 18 Oct 2018 08:35:57 3,331 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Drakesmoke

I will feedback for sure.

However, we're doing two very different things; I'm only noodling around at home through my Katana 50 (Clean channel, usually lots of reverb and nothing else), not playing in actual gigs like you; I still very much consider myself a beginner.

I've seen that Tele - I'm not usually a fan of em, looks-wise, but that one was a beauty; it looked like the offspring of Fender and Gibson!
  • dominalien 18 Oct 2018 09:08:31 9,233 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Wrong thread.

Edited by dominalien at 06:26:15 19-10-2018
  • smemma 18 Oct 2018 09:31:04 692 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hmmmm, wavering over either a 2019 Gibson Les Paul Traditional or a 2019 Les Paul Classic....

Never thought I'd bother with an LP but suddenly I feel compelled, a feeling ridiculously sparked by the fact that Gibson's new left handers cost the same as the right handers! I do also really just want one, it turns out.

Anyone got any opinion on these two? I find the vintage-ness of the Traditional appealing, but at the same time am really taken with the Classic, and reckon I'd get some use out of the more modern features (coil tapping, phase inversion etc).

Also got sidetracked by my lust for a Rickenbacker 360, but decided it wouldn't get used enough!
  • Juz 18 Oct 2018 09:39:18 3,331 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    smemma wrote:
    Hmmmm, wavering over either a 2019 Gibson Les Paul Traditional or a 2019 Les Paul Classic....

Never thought I'd bother with an LP but suddenly I feel compelled, a feeling ridiculously sparked by the fact that Gibson's new left handers cost the same as the right handers! I do also really just want one, it turns out.

Anyone got any opinion on these two? I find the vintage-ness of the Traditional appealing, but at the same time am really taken with the Classic, and reckon I'd get some use out of the more modern features (coil tapping, phase inversion etc).

Also got sidetracked by my lust for a Rickenbacker 360, but decided it wouldn't get used enough!
    My only experience is with the Epiphone Les Paul, and it's one of massive weight and sharp angles for if you're sitting down. The sound is beautiful though.

I'm sure that if you play an LP standing up you'll be fine. Or get a weight-relieved one.

Some people just ain't bothered by the weight and shape, but I do 99% of my playing slouched on the sofa.
  • monkman76 18 Oct 2018 09:47:58 14,930 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Juz What do you think of the Katana 50? I've been hovering over the 50 and the 100 for weeks now. The 50 is everything I need and more, as an advancing beginner, except for one thing - an effects loop so I can play some different lead tones over a clean rhythm loop. Wish they'd added that to the 50.
  • smemma 18 Oct 2018 09:58:48 692 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Juz Not bothered by the weight - I've played them before (and played an Epi Les Paul for YEARS - although they are lighter than a Gibson) and it hasn't annoyed me as I mostly play standing up; my pedalboard is miles away from any seating. The Classic does have a little weight relief though.

It's tricky as shops just don't stock the LH versions so I can't test guitars out brilliantly - I can just about get by playing a RH upside down but it doesn't give the best impression of how a guitar feels..
  • Juz 18 Oct 2018 10:21:29 3,331 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @monkman76

I think it's a fabulous amp, and not just for the money.

I went from a 1980's Marshall Reverb 12 to the Katana, and it's astonishing frankly.

As much as I love metal, I never really use any of my pedals - it's a bit pants with the Trio+ and the Zoom G3NX - the drums always sound like turds.
  • Drakesmoke 18 Oct 2018 13:41:11 572 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @smemma Trads tend to have a chunky neck somewhere in the late 50s ballpark, so factor that in, personally love a fat neck.

To me the Trad is the closest thing to a vintage Paul without going Custom Shop so would be my choice of the two.
  • Drakesmoke 18 Oct 2018 13:57:21 572 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Juz I still consider myself a beginner too. There is always somebody that can humble you and I'm not great anyway!

Actual advice if you can. Go to somewhere bricks and mortar stocking a few different options. They will likely have a Katana. Take your pedal board and use the whole setup through that amp. Even if you are buying online ultimately, no harm in it, and happy future new guitar day thumbs up emoji.
  • Drakesmoke 18 Oct 2018 13:57:55 572 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Double post.

Edited by Drakesmoke at 13:59:07 18-10-2018
  • smemma 18 Oct 2018 14:06:54 692 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Drakesmoke wrote:
    @smemma Trads tend to have a chunky neck somewhere in the late 50s ballpark, so factor that in, personally love a fat neck.

To me the Trad is the closest thing to a vintage Paul without going Custom Shop so would be my choice of the two.
    Yep, that's an appealing aspect of the Traditional - I find thin necks a little awkward. Although I do bloody love my Fenders
  • monkman76 18 Oct 2018 21:06:02 14,930 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I ordered the Katana 100. Whoops.
  • Juz 21 Oct 2018 13:45:59 3,331 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    I ordered the Katana 100. Whoops.
    Lots of whoops going round these parts; I accidentally slipped down to Peach Guitars and chopped the SG and Epi in for a Strat Elite.

Thumbs up for Peach. Proving that a unit on a trading estate doesnít have to be soulless, the entire gaff is done up like a Western saloon with I think 1600 guitars on display. Nice and friendly too.

Strat is EXACTLY what I was after in terms of tone, the only sticking point is that thereís a lot of pinking every single time the trem is even vaguely used and then drops badly out of tune. Pinking seems to come from saddles rather than nut.

Gonna whip these strings off, oil the fretboard, and make sure the new strings are well stretched.

Edited by Juz at 13:46:48 21-10-2018
  • monkman76 21 Oct 2018 14:15:40 14,930 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    What's pinking?

And did the shop part exchange your old guitars? Is that a common thing?
  • Juz 21 Oct 2018 16:41:47 3,331 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    What's pinking?

And did the shop part exchange your old guitars? Is that a common thing?
    You know, the ďpinkĒ sound a string makes when it jumps on the nut or saddle when youíre either bending the string or adjusting the tuners.

Yeah, they mostly all take px. Peach offered the highest trade in and the guitar was cheapest too. Dawsonís donít do trade in for some reason though.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.