I bought a guitar is it rubbish? Page 16

• fontgeeksogood 27 May 2019 14:30:22 6,224 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Nice! Enjoy. I had hands on with the Meteora yesterday and I might have to have one, volume pots are the wrong way round but so playable and look fucking awesome
  • Rodimus-Prime 1 Jun 2019 13:14:49 314 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I've dusted off my guitar and have been playing quite a lot recently (it's a Cort MBC-1 - unfortunately in jet black, not sparkly red).

I'm just wondering if anyone plays Rocksmith? On the Xbox One, i remember being able to download Plug in Baby, but i can't find it on the PS4 store anywhere. I seem to remember Invincible being a downloadable song too...
  • Pipedream 1 Jun 2019 14:56:32 473 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Are you planning on using Rocksmith as a leaning tool?

I ask as the Ultimate Guitar Pro app is wonderful for that. Plug your guitar into a phone / tablet and play along to a tab or song with the free Tonebridge.
  • Armoured_Bear 1 Jun 2019 14:58:42 26,859 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Add a comma. FFS, add a comma.
  • Rodimus-Prime 1 Jun 2019 15:13:59 314 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Hello Pipedream,

Nah, i can already play fairly well. Rocksmith 2014 was a fiver in a recent sale, so it's just for fun really. I used to have a Tom Delonge Signature Strat, so appreciate playing along to all the Blink songs.
  • Pipedream 1 Jun 2019 15:21:41 473 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear are you commenting on my post?

My apologies, English isnít my first language. Hope you enjoyed that comma.
  • fontgeeksogood 1 Jun 2019 16:09:33 6,224 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    It isn't his either, he's Scotch
  • DrStrangelove 1 Jun 2019 16:30:32 14,247 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    On top of that he's living in Switzerland, and in German you typically use one comma per paragraph. Also one sentence per paragraph.
  • Juz 6 Jun 2019 11:08:30 3,306 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I'm currently on a mad one, swapping out standard tuners for locking ones.

Put some Schaller tuners on my PRS SE and that was a bit of a bitch, actually - holes lined up but Schaller screws were too thin for the holes and the posts are VERY short compared to the PRS ones.

Got some Grover Rotomatic 502c for the Les Paul and they just fitted straight on like a dream.

Top Tip:

I got the Grover tuners from Amazon US and the customs/taxes were all done at checkout so no nasty surprises, and they still came out at c.£70.00 instead of the £120-£140 they are over here.
  • smemma 6 Jun 2019 13:40:11 681 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Time to add to the collection! Struggling to decide between:

Les Paul Standard 60s
    Les Paul Modern (for the beautiful blue finish)
    Rickenbacker 360
    Or getting a couple of cheaper guitars - probably the Gretsch G5420TG and an Ed OíBrien Strat (really want a Strat with a sustainer)

First world problem I realise, but good god Iím finding this very difficult! Doesnít help that as a left hander no shops have any of them in stock (aside from the Rickenbacker) for me to try out
  • Gruff 6 Jun 2019 13:57:46 3,428 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Still at the beginner stage, but still enjoying it :) Not familiar with acoustic guitars, so bought a Dreadnaught sized guitar for average size me, its a pain to hold and play for any length of time.

What size should I have gone with, is 3/4 the way to go or are they for kids. What is a manageable type of acoustic I can just noodle on while I'm not playing my electric?

Edited by Gruff at 13:59:09 06-06-2019
  • Juz 6 Jun 2019 13:58:42 3,306 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Don't forget the 2019 Classic that I got in Goldtop - heavily discounted everywhere AND (imho) had more sustain and a better feel than the Standard 50's that I A/B'd
  • DrStrangelove 6 Jun 2019 15:29:15 14,247 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Gruff wrote:
    Still at the beginner stage, but still enjoying it :) Not familiar with acoustic guitars, so bought a Dreadnaught sized guitar for average size me, its a pain to hold and play for any length of time.

What size should I have gone with, is 3/4 the way to go or are they for kids. What is a manageable type of acoustic I can just noodle on while I'm not playing my electric?
    I avoided western guitars for a long time exactly for that reason, I found Dreadnoughts just too big and uncomfortable. Later I found out that there are a great lot of different shapes and sizes, there's something for everyone. After some research and testing I chose a "000" size one, the Sigma 000M-1ST to be specific (Sigma is Martin's budget line and I must say I find their quality really impressive in that price range).

There are so many shapes and sizes it can get pretty confusing. For example, a "0M" size is the same as a "000" one but it's got a slightly longer and wider neck. 000 scale length is similar to a Gibson, 0M is the same as a Dreadnought which is similar to Fender and most other electric guitars.

They're similar to a classical guitar in size and shape and a lot more comfortable than a Dreadnought, perfect for my liking. It's not as bassy as a Dreadnought though, it leans more towards mid-range punch but that's exactly how I like it. It's kinda similar to Les Paul vs. SG (although more pronounced) and I prefer SGs too. But if you're looking for a lot of volume, you'll need a big body. 0M vs. Dreadnought sound comparison

An overview of the most important acoustic guitar shapes and sizes. You'll find a wealth of helpful videos on Youtube on this topic.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 15:41:40 06-06-2019
  • smemma 6 Jun 2019 16:24:22 681 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Juz I was looking at those but left handed models are out of stock everywhere now that the new range is out.... very few places keep LH models in stock
  • Armoured_Bear 6 Jun 2019 17:50:52 26,859 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Pipedream wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear are you commenting on my post?

My apologies, English isnít my first language. Hope you enjoyed that comma.
    No, the thread title!
  • Armoured_Bear 6 Jun 2019 17:52:03 26,859 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    squaregoyaprickahllkickyircuntin
  • Gruff 6 Jun 2019 18:09:00 3,428 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Thanks doc, appreciate the advice. Confusing is right, but thats got me headed in the right direction at least:D
  • DrStrangelove 6 Jun 2019 18:51:58 14,247 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Gruff it's definitely confusing at first, but I recommend consuming some YT videos, that'll help getting a better understanding and knowing what to look out for. Again, my "000" is far more comfortable than a Dreadnought and I love it.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 18:54:42 06-06-2019
  • MikeP 6 Jun 2019 19:22:34 2,934 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Just taken delivery of a discounted (Factory refurb) Yamaha revstar 820CR. I have no idea why it was discounted as it's pretty much immaculate, but I'm not going to turn my nose up at a £250 discount.

It's lovely to play, sounds great and I really like the aesthetic - brushed steel components, anodised copper scratch plate and a satin top.

• fontgeeksogood 6 Jun 2019 19:28:20 6,224 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    That's gorgeous
  • MikeP 6 Jun 2019 19:43:49 2,934 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I'm also in the process of renovating an old US standard tele. The finish was in bad shape, so stripped it down, sanded the neck and removed the poly varnish from the body.

I've stained the wood black and it's in the process of getting an oil finish. Stain and oil came from Crimson Guitars in Dorset.
  • fontgeeksogood 6 Jun 2019 19:47:31 6,224 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Isn't that the tatted bald guy who talks like the Queen
  • MikeP 6 Jun 2019 20:06:36 2,934 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Indeed it is. They're a surprisingly big operation - they have 16 staff. Make instruments, Luthier's tools & supplies, kits and do courses.
  • Juz 7 Jun 2019 08:36:17 3,306 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    smemma wrote:
    @Juz I was looking at those but left handed models are out of stock everywhere now that the new range is out.... very few places keep LH models in stock
    Ballsacks - didn't notice the LH bit.
  • SallyGreen 7 Jun 2019 11:18:45 1 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    I think that better choose from these variants of guitars if you can of course. They are the best for beginners and for intermediate players as I think. Also, I was really surprised by the quality of the materials.
    Hope it was useful.

Edited by SallyGreen at 11:19:14 07-06-2019
  • monkman76 27 Jun 2019 16:36:23 14,808 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Starting to think about getting a new guitar for around £500. What are people's thoughts on the new Player Strats versus the Epi LP Plustop Pros?

Obviously two very different guitars. I think I slightly tend towards more single coil Fendery sounds so far, but I've not been playing long so that could change over time - and I already have a cheap but decent Squier Tele, so I've kind of got that ground covered.

That said though, in my head low-end Fender beats upper-end Epiphone. I'd maybe stick a humbucker or two in my Tele if I went for the Strat, for a bit of variety. Thoughts?
  • MikeP 28 Jun 2019 16:23:40 2,934 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Les Paul's are "classic" but I might be a bit controversial here by saying that they aren't that versatile.

You could look at a guitar that has coil-tapped humbuckers, so you can go for a fatter or more cutting sound depending on what you feel like.

So something like this: https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/fender-player-telecaster-hh-mn-tidepool

Other options would include a PRS SE: https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/prs-se-ltd-edition-standard-24-satin-black#product-details

Or you could go down the HSS Strat route, with a humbucker on the bridge position: https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/fender-player-stratocaster-hss-mn-tidepool

I absolutely love my Yamaha Revstar. Rather than a coil-tap for single coil sounds, it has a filter circuit you can engage. That makes it sound more single coil, without any of the problems of hum. They do one right in your price range. The Yamaha build quality and sound is excellent.

https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/yamaha-revstar-rs420-electric-guitar-black-steel

Edited by MikeP at 16:36:47 28-06-2019
  • Armoured_Bear 28 Jun 2019 16:26:15 26,859 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Fucking comma!!!
  • MikeP 28 Jun 2019 16:35:13 2,934 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Say what now?
  • DrStrangelove 28 Jun 2019 17:49:24 14,247 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    MikeP wrote:
    Say what now?
    He's talking to the OP. A little belatedly

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.