I bought a guitar is it rubbish? Page 17

• DrStrangelove 28 Jun 2019 17:53:06 14,247 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    MikeP wrote:
    Les Paul's are "classic" but I might be a bit controversial here by saying that they aren't that versatile.

You could look at a guitar that has coil-tapped humbuckers, so you can go for a fatter or more cutting sound depending on what you feel like.
    The LP in question does have coil splitting:

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Electrics/Les-Paul/Les-Paul-Standard-Plustop-PRO.aspx
  • monkman76 28 Jun 2019 18:45:35 14,808 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I agree though, Les Pauls are not that versatile. But surely if my other guitar is a Tele I'm golden :)
  • MikeP 28 Jun 2019 19:23:36 2,934 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Interesting to see that the LP does have coil splitting, that definitely opens it up a bit.

Maybe the other thing to consider is if you're looking for a tremelo system or not. I like the simplicity and stability of fixed-bridge guitars in the main, but I do have a couple that are equipped with trems.
  • monkman76 28 Jun 2019 19:27:21 14,808 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I don't know at the moment. I'm only two years into being able to play an E chord :) I mostly want something of decent quality that'll serve me well for a few years. Thinking the Player strat is probably the way to go. Maybe with bridge humbucker as you say.
  • DrStrangelove 28 Jun 2019 19:28:51 14,247 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    I agree though, Les Pauls are not that versatile.
    I disagree about that, I think the LP is one of the most versatile guitars out there. But I guess that depends on the stylistic range you're looking for. For me it's blues to black metal, BB King to Mayhem, and for that I believe it doesn't get much better than an LP. It can do mellow and buttery smooth and it can do very heavy. A Strat is extremely versatile too but it just doesn't match the styles I play. For someone else the Strat may be perfect and the LP may suck.

However keep in mind I replace the pickups anyway, the stock Gibson and especially Epiphone pups are definitely more limited than the Duncans I use.

Still I watched some videos now and actually I was positively surprised by the LP's coil split. I'm not a fan of coil split but it does very nicely in that video imo.

While researching this I found that the Plustop--and other Epis--have the flat 60s neck. Now I want one. What put me off most of the LPs I've played was that they had that thick 50s neck. I hate the 50s neck and I love the 60s one. In this video which compares the very two guitars you're eyeing, the guy says that's what he doesn't like about this LP but that's exactly what makes it interesting to me.

I guess that's one of the things you should keep in mind, he says the Strat has a thicker, more rounded neck, so that may be bad for me but good for you if you're used to a Telecaster (which I believe has the same neck as the Strat).

I believe the guitar's feel is very important. I grew up with an Epi SG with a 60s neck so that's just natural to me, but if you're used to a Tele the Strat will probably feel much more natural to you. Of course it's always best to compare them yourself in a store.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 19:29:19 28-06-2019
  • MikeP 28 Jun 2019 19:31:10 2,934 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I've been impressed with the quality of the Fender player series. I have the twin-humbucker tele.

Definitely worth giving an HSS configuration Strat a try. I've never owned a strat, maybe I should chop in a couple of my current lot and give one a go.

Edited by MikeP at 19:31:22 28-06-2019
  • MikeP 28 Jun 2019 19:35:04 2,934 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    monkman76 wrote:
    I agree though, Les Pauls are not that versatile.
    I disagree about that, I think the LP is one of the most versatile guitars out there. But I guess that depends on the stylistic range you're looking for. For me it's blues to black metal, BB King to Mayhem, and for that I believe it doesn't get much better than an LP. It can do mellow and buttery smooth and it can do very heavy. A Strat is extremely versatile too but it just doesn't match the styles I play. For someone else the Strat may be perfect and the LP may suck.

However keep in mind I replace the pickups anyway, the stock Gibson and especially Epiphone pups are definitely more limited than the Duncans I use.

Still I watched some videos now and actually I was positively surprised by the LP's coil split. I'm not a fan of coil split but it does very nicely in that video imo.

While researching this I found that the Plustop--and other Epis--have the flat 60s neck. Now I want one. What put me off most of the LPs I've played was that they had that thick 50s neck. I hate the 50s neck and I love the 60s one. In this video which compares the very two guitars you're eyeing, the guy says that's what he doesn't like about this LP but that's exactly what makes it interesting to me.

I guess that's one of the things you should keep in mind, he says the Strat has a thicker, more rounded neck, so that may be bad for me but good for you if you're used to a Telecaster (which I believe has the same neck as the Strat).

I believe the guitar's feel is very important. I grew up with an Epi SG with a 60s neck so that's just natural to me, but if you're used to a Tele the Strat will probably feel much more natural to you. Of course it's always best to compare them yourself in a store.
    I think there's loads of great advice in here - neck feel is super-important, both the shape and also the finish. I don't personally like very heavily glossed ones, they just feel a bit draggy and sticky sometimes.

I buy a fair bit of kit second-hand to try, because if I like it it's cheaper, but I don't lose much if I want to move something on.
  • fontgeeksogood 28 Jun 2019 19:42:28 6,224 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    MikeP wrote:
    I don't personally like very heavily glossed ones, they just feel a bit draggy and sticky sometimes.
    Same. I don't really like any gloss to be honest, I took the wire wool to my PRS (also I have a PRS who wants to touch me)
  • MikeP 28 Jun 2019 19:49:10 2,934 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I'm going to rebuild the old banger of a tele I was restoring tomorrow. I was very happy with the way the neck finish worked out. Sanded back to the wood, then applied satin wipe-on poly.

I'll put a couple of pictures up when it's done if people are interested?
  • DrStrangelove 28 Jun 2019 19:58:20 14,247 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    MikeP wrote:
    neck feel is super-important, both the shape and also the finish. I don't personally like very heavily glossed ones, they just feel a bit draggy and sticky sometimes.
    It's definitely something to look out for, Gibsons and Fenders have very different necks. First, Gibson necks are always shorter than Fender (24.75" vs. 25.5") so that may need some getting used to. I believe they're also generally narrower (couldn't find specs on that on the Fender site, but iirc Gibsons are said to have narrow necks with slightly smaller string spacing). Without saying one's better than the other, feeling comfortable with one may make the other feel a little off. Fender necks do feel a little off to me.

And it's not only necks, the bridge also makes a difference. I love the Gibson style--relatively elevated--Tune-o-matic bridge not least because I find it super comfortable for palm muting. I don't like Fender bridges nor the Floyd Rose on my Charvel because for my liking they're just too low above the body. With the Charvel, it turned out to be a bigger issue than I anticipated (actually I didn't think of that at all).

That's definitely another thing to look out for, the Strat's flat bridge may again feel more natural to you. But who knows, maybe you'll try the LP and find it very nice.

edit: if you're looking to play on the upper frets a lot, the LP isn't good at that. You can do it, but it's definitely more uncomfortable than a Strat. And in this regard, all of them are utterly destroyed by the SG.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 20:18:39 28-06-2019
  • fontgeeksogood 28 Jun 2019 20:03:21 6,224 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    There's huge differences in Gibson necks throughout the ranges and ages, even within LPs. The shape / profile of the neck is important too, '59 FTW
  • fontgeeksogood 28 Jun 2019 20:05:14 6,224 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    MikeP wrote:
    I'm going to rebuild the old banger of a tele I was restoring tomorrow. I was very happy with the way the neck finish worked out. Sanded back to the wood, then applied satin wipe-on poly.

Yeah, I would like to see. I was warned off sandpaper by a woodworker who said to go with the wire wool but I've always wondered if that's bullshit or specific instruction as he understood my inexpert gorilla hands
  • DrStrangelove 28 Jun 2019 20:08:46 14,247 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    And yeah, definitely try a PRS if you have the chance. Especially if you can't decide between Gibson and Fender, iirc finding the middle ground between them was the original idea behind that make.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 20:09:12 28-06-2019
  • MikeP 28 Jun 2019 20:15:41 2,934 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    MikeP wrote:

Yeah, I would like to see. I was warned off sandpaper by a woodworker who said to go with the wire wool but I've always wondered if that's bullshit or specific instruction as he understood my inexpert gorilla hands
    If you're just trying to matt down the finish wire wool or Scotchbrite plastic pads are the most commonly recommended approach. Advantage of the plastic is that any discard isn't going to get drawn onto the pickups.

I needed to strip the poly off completely, so used a few grades of paper. Took longer to do the neck than the body. The body was stripped back to the wood with a heat gun and a blunt paint scraper. The polyurethane finish came off in sheets.
  • monkman76 28 Jun 2019 20:26:21 14,808 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Great comments guys, thanks. I'll be heading up to Andertons in a couple of weeks to have a play on a few. I will try the PRS SE, though I hate the way they look (sorry PES) and maybe a Gretsch Streamliner as a wild card.

Fwiw I do quite like the neck on my Tele, but as it's still very early in my guitar 'journey' I don't really know any different. I quite fancy having a Gibson-type neck as well so I can get a good feel for what I like over time.

Do like the look of the Player series though...
  • MikeP 28 Jun 2019 20:29:13 2,934 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    PRS also do a more Les Paul type of guitar, the 245 range. It's a single cutaway model.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-dept/electric-guitars/modern-body-guitars/prs-se-245-standard-in-tobacco-sunburst-pse-st245ts-1
  • monkman76 28 Jun 2019 20:34:07 14,808 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah I slightly prefer that to the standard. Still got those feckin birds though
  • DrStrangelove 28 Jun 2019 20:44:00 14,247 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Heh yeah that's what kills them for me too. But in all honesty, they are very good.
  • fontgeeksogood 28 Jun 2019 20:55:39 6,224 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    THE BIRDS ARE HOW PEOPLE KNOW YOU HAVE A PRS
  • DrStrangelove 28 Jun 2019 20:58:47 14,247 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    They're also how people know you don't have a Gibson. Aside from the Epiphone headstock, obviously
  • fontgeeksogood 28 Jun 2019 20:59:52 6,224 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I also have a Gibson. It is not fit to sniff my PRS saddle
  • DrStrangelove 28 Jun 2019 21:02:36 14,247 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Definitely beats the PRS inlays though
  • MikeP 28 Jun 2019 21:03:03 2,934 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Do any of you have a recommended online place to sell stuff?

I've not tried Reverb, and although I've used eBay historically, I wonder if there's a better retailer.
  • MikeP 29 Jun 2019 18:00:13 2,934 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Put the telecaster back together today, which wasn't too bad. It'll need a proper setup at some point as some of the frets are worn and could do with shaping, but it sounds good.

Second shot gives a clearer idea of the finish, black woodstain with a satin wipe-on polyurethane varnish over the top.

Edited by MikeP at 18:01:06 29-06-2019

Edited by MikeP at 18:01:20 29-06-2019
  • DrStrangelove 29 Jun 2019 19:35:46 14,247 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Wow. That is a gorgeous finish, I love it.
  • Drakesmoke 30 Jun 2019 10:20:40 563 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Nicely done MikeP
  • DrStrangelove 30 Jun 2019 18:27:58 14,247 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    While researching my likely next guitar I stumbled upon this which I found pretty funny. They're comparing Les Pauls, a Gibson Standard, a Gibson Studio and some Epiphone. Here they're comparing sustain with somewhat unexpected results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzM9dvV-VJU&t=690s
  • Fab4 30 Jun 2019 18:36:27 8,827 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Chappers and 'The Captain' are a great double act :)
  • monkman76 30 Jun 2019 18:38:22 14,808 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I had a quick play on an Epi LP plustop pro and a Player strat today. Actually found the Epi a bit nicer to play. I see what you mean Dr about palm muting being easier on a LP. Always found it a bit uncomfortable in my shoulder on my Tele.
  • DrStrangelove 30 Jun 2019 18:56:48 14,247 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Tele certainly wasn't created with palm muting in mind, I mean originally the bridge is even hidden under that metal cover. I don't think Gibsons were created with that in mind either, they just turned out to be better suited for that by accident.

From my experience with all the guitars I've played and owned, today I must have a Gibson-style Tune-o-matic bridge. It's just so comfortable and I love it so much.

I really like Jackson Dinkies but they all seem to have flat bridges which I will not cope with anymore. The Jackson I bought some 10 years ago was the rare exception with a Tune-o-matic bridge and I will never ever sell it.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.