I bought a guitar is it rubbish? Page 18

• MikeP 1 Jul 2019 17:35:36 2,934 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Definitely agree about the ease of palm muting on the Tune-o-matic.

I have a Fender Jaguar with the same bridge and it's great. I was playing it over the weekend and I'd forgotten how punchy the pickups were.
  • Armoured_Bear 1 Jul 2019 18:42:59 26,859 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    For the love of god, a comma!
  • DrStrangelove 1 Jul 2019 18:46:06 14,247 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    For the love of god, a comma!
    Maybe you should PM the OP who hasn't been seen in 5 months instead of complaining about it every few days in this thread
  • monkman76 1 Jul 2019 19:36:01 14,808 posts
    Seen 32 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think he'd rather just carry on being the most tedious man alive.
  • DrStrangelove 2 Jul 2019 15:55:53 14,247 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bought a Boss Katana 50 combo today, and I understand now why they're all the rage. This thing is amazing, it's hard to believe it's a solid state amplifier. It's got the sound and punch, it's loud but you can also set it to 0.5W for home practice (or use headphones). It's also got many built-in pedal effects that you can customise if you connect it to a PC (haven't tried that yet) and that way you can also direct record on PC.

What's really ridiculous is the price. 219. That is phenomenal value. Highly recommended (the entire Katana range seems to be amazeballs).

edit: I should clarify that I'm recommending this solid state amp as a diehard valve amp fanboy.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 21:34:34 02-07-2019
  • DrStrangelove 7 Jul 2019 21:52:40 14,247 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Update on the Katana. I've played around with it connected to PC via USB, and with the Katana software you can customise the shit out of it. There's like 50 BOSS pedals built in that you can customise and assign to its physical controls. There's like 4 different Wahs and 4 different fuzz pedals and all sorts of boosters, distortion, overdrive, phaser, flanger, EQ and whatnot. Just pick your favourites, dial them to your liking and assign them to the amp's controls.

What I really like is that the USB connection registers two sound inputs for recording. One is the amp's sound and speaker emulation etc., the other one is just the guitar's output completely bypassing whatever the amp does. This is great for using software effect/amp/cabinet emulation on your PC. They thought of everything.

Apparently the Katana head has a built-in speaker so you can practise even if there's no cabinet connected. The Katanas are just a marvel of intelligent design with great sound and insane value. I asked the guy in the shop for alternatives to try but he basically said for this price just get the Katana and forget everything else.

I'm still baffled, I used to know solid state amps from 10-20 years ago (or current ones like Line 6's rubbish), this thing just obliterates them. It's got sound and dynamics and response I thought were impossible on a solid state amp. Boss really outdid themselves here, they did everything right. It's a big jump in value/practice amps and I can only encourage everyone to try one if you get the chance.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 22:02:54 07-07-2019
  • monkman76 8 Jul 2019 08:22:10 14,808 posts
    Seen 32 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, I've got the 100. I don't see myself needing any other amps for a long time.
  • MikeP 8 Jul 2019 11:56:25 2,934 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Honestly, the quality of Digital Signal Processing that's available now means that picking a valve amp is more of a lifestyle choice than a quality thing.

There's an Anderton's video with Chappers and the Captain where they try to pick a valve amp v a Kemper model, and they get it completely wrong. And they have a pretty hard time accepting it. They might sound a bit different, but they don't sound 'worse' anymore.

Not sure if you can do it on the Katana, but I have a Helix LT and you can re-amp on that setup. You send the 'dry' USB recording from the audio software back into the unit, and you can change everything in the setup. Laid down a good part on a Fender Twin, and you want to hear how it would sound through a Mesa Boogie amp? Just select the patch, change the amp model and press playback on the dry channel in the audio software. It's ridiculous.
  • blarts 9 Jul 2019 15:55:40 7 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    Just bought one of the Epiphone Tributes
    Nice throaty pickups that clean up as you roll the volume down, great action out of the box, intonation is good, and lovely to play
  • fontgeeksogood 9 Jul 2019 16:16:19 6,224 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    750 quid for a fucking Epiphone
  • DrStrangelove 9 Jul 2019 16:30:22 14,247 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    They can be pretty good and they have no birds
  • fontgeeksogood 9 Jul 2019 16:47:42 6,224 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    The birds are how people know you have a premium guitar
  • DrStrangelove 9 Jul 2019 17:03:03 14,247 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, like a yorkshire terrier with pink ribbons is how people know you're upper class
  • thelzdking 9 Jul 2019 22:36:44 9,403 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I like my PRS, although there is an inescapable 'prog-rock wanker' thing about them.
  • monkman76 9 Jul 2019 22:42:43 14,808 posts
    Seen 32 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I keep thinking I need to consider the SE standard range in my price bracket (~500), then I see things like the colour schemes and the headstock colour matching the body (ugh) and I remember why I don't.
  • thelzdking 9 Jul 2019 23:24:26 9,403 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Headstock must match or compliment either body or fretboard. I'm quite funny about it, actually. I think Fenders with rosewood fretboards and the maple headstock look really wrong.

It wouldn't stop me buying a guitar, though.
  • DrStrangelove 10 Jul 2019 00:23:36 14,247 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ideal is a rosewood fingerboard and an angled headstock with a black finish on the front obviously
  • Juz 10 Jul 2019 08:53:06 3,306 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I've recently been playing with high-gain sounds on the Katana 50, and, whilst the Gibson sounds the best, it's also the noisiest in terms of hum, and the hardest to keep the higher strings muted on.

The Fender is lovely on high-gain, but the PRS is probably the best all-round.

The Gibbo hums until you make contact with any bit of metal, which I thought meant poor-earthing, but apparently it's an entirely normal thing for an LP to do.
  • blarts 10 Jul 2019 13:41:40 7 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    750 quid for a fucking Epiphone
    Nah got it for 600 (including hardcase) and then there was an imperfection on the High side lacquer over the binding so they refunded me 80 so not too bad for an Epiphone with proper Gibson '57 pickups in it
  • MikeP 10 Jul 2019 13:47:59 2,934 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I know that people like ragging on PRS a bit - agree they can be a bit "session", on the looks, but my plain old black Tremonti SE with the birds and a single cut is a fair way from the Santana-look.

Juz, that sounds a bit weird. If it only stops humming when you're earthing the guitar, that's not great. I can't recall the Epi LP I had years ago doing it.
  • MikeP 10 Jul 2019 13:51:16 2,934 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Also:

PRS SE Standard 24 in Satin Black.
  • DrStrangelove 10 Jul 2019 16:59:26 14,247 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Juz wrote:
    The Gibbo hums until you make contact with any bit of metal, which I thought meant poor-earthing, but apparently it's an entirely normal thing for an LP to do.
    I'm interested in this too, all my guitars do/did it to varying degrees, so I just did some testing. These are my findings, mind I'm not an expert and whatever I say may not necessarily true for other people with this issue.

I first thought it's an earthing issue too (I mean, that's what you do when touching the guitar metal parts, you're earthing it), but I believe it's actually a shielding issue that should be reduced when applying proper shielding, which I'm going to try in the future.

Actually, at the core there is an earthing issue, but to my surprise it doesn't seem to be in the guitar, but in the amp or even your house's power supply or whatever, I have no idea how that stuff works. Bad guitar shielding apparently amplifies--not causes--this issue. (also, if there's something wrong with earthing in your guitar wiring, hum is usually your least concern)

So I currently have a 20 yo. Epiphone SG G-400, a 10 yo. Gibson SG Special Raw Power, and a Charvel SoCal. They all hum when I crank up the gain (Epi least, Charvel most), and it's reduced when I touch the metal parts.

What I found is that even with the guitar unplugged this happens. With only the instrument cable plugged in, the amp hums and it's reduced when I touch the free plug's earthing (the shaft). If you can replicate this, I'm pretty sure there's nothing wrong with earthing inside your guitar.

I've tried this with 3 different amps, 2 different wall sockets, 2 different power cables and 3 different instrument cables. It's always the same. I thought maybe the instrument cables are badly shielded, so I also plugged in only a 3.5mm to 1.5mm adapter plug without cable, and it did the same. Hum was similarly reduced when I touched the metal edge of the amp's input socket. With the guitar plugged in, touching the same spot on the amp does the same as touching the strings. So I'm sure the earthing issue is caused by the amp not providing enough of it, the guitars' wiring seems to be perfectly fine.

Now the guitars always produce some hum which is slightly reduced when touching it, it's just not so noticeable depending on situation. When I turn the guitar so that it picks up more electromagnetic noise (e.g. frontally towards a running PC vs. 90 degree angle, or noise picked up from whatever sources outside the house), the hum gets louder and touching it has a much more pronounced effect; I suspect that's what you get with your Gibson too.

The weakest point is the plastic cover of the control cavity. Putting my hand on the cover produces a LOT of noise. Similarly when holding it against my belly (which might be part of what's going on when playing).

Interestingly, the Epiphone's cavity is covered in graphite paint (the cover is unshielded though), while the Gibson has no shielding measures whatsoever. It's just completely untreated wood inside. The result is that putting my hand there on the front (between the pots) produces some noise with the Gibson but none with the Epiphone. And again, the Epiphone is a little less noisy in general despite having higher output pickups installed.

Now the Charvel's cavity, being basically a Fender Stratocaster, has the cavity accessed from the front, so there's no plastic cover on the back. I haven't looked inside because I'd have to remove the strings and disassemble half the guitar. But even so, putting my hand on the back behind the controls produces a huge lot of noise, just as much as with the plastic covers on the other two. Which leads me to believe that there's no shielding whatsoever going on in the Charvel either.

I don't know about the shielding of your guitars--or Gibson in general--but at least with mine that seems to be where I might be able to fix the issue.

Here's a before/after video of someone shielding his Telecaster, it makes quite a difference, and note he also always reduces the noise when touching the guitar:

Edited by DrStrangelove at 17:08:45 10-07-2019
  • MikeP 10 Jul 2019 17:34:07 2,934 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I'm going to have to experiment when I get home now :D

One thing that's recommended is to twist/braid the conductor cables from the pickups - that cancels hum. Some companies also use a shielded cable outer. Like PRS for example...
  • DrStrangelove 10 Jul 2019 19:23:14 14,247 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I noticed another interesting thing: as said before, with the unplugged cable, touching the shaft reduces noise somewhat. Additionally holding the other hand near the plug eliminates all noise completely. Letting go of the shaft and it's full noise again, no matter where my hand is.

Not sure what this means for the guitar, but I guess applying proper shielding is the best thing I can try.
  • fontgeeksogood 10 Jul 2019 19:42:49 6,224 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    MikeP wrote:

One thing that's recommended is to twist/braid the conductor cables from the pickups - that cancels hum. Some companies also use a shielded cable outer. Like PRS for example...
    Is that why my PRS is much better than docs Les Paul
  • MikeP 10 Jul 2019 20:11:09 2,934 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Here are my results. Selected a very high gain model on the Helix.

Cable not plugged into a guitar - lots of hum

PRS Tremonti - no hum
    Fender Jag (Humbucker) - no hum
    Fender Tele - no hum
    Yamaha Revstar - no hum

Conclusion - Gibson guitars are broken :p
  • DrStrangelove 10 Jul 2019 21:48:23 14,247 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    MikeP wrote:

Is that why my PRS is much better than docs Les Paul
    I don't have a Les Paul, and I believe Gibson uses braided conductor cable on most pickups
  • fontgeeksogood 10 Jul 2019 22:00:12 6,224 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    STOP BEING MEAN ABOUT MY GUITAR
  • Juz 12 Jul 2019 09:03:07 3,306 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    I noticed another interesting thing..touching the shaft reduces noise somewhat.. letting go of the shaft and it's full noise again, no matter where my hand is.
    Paging InnuendoBot.

Interesting findings there Doc, and exactly the same for me. I think it is all just shielding tbh - I may well get some of that copper tape and give it a go on the Gibbo.
  • quadfather 12 Jul 2019 09:28:14 34,586 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Can anyone recommend a cheap DI box for a bass guitar? My head is getting muddled by it all. The only essential things I need are a ground shift and a thru. But they seem to range from 50p to a million pounds.

Also, in other news, the mooer fog fuzz bass pedal is fucking amazing for 43!

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.