• Drakesmoke 15 Jul 2019 14:28:20 570 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @monkman76

Just get a Baja and don't look back.
  • monkman76 15 Jul 2019 14:30:45 14,838 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Can you still get them new? I know second hand is where it's at but I don't know guitars that well so I'm a bit wary.
  • Drakesmoke 15 Jul 2019 15:05:30 570 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @monkman76

Absolutely yeah, quick Google shows stock at a few big retailers. I suspect the run may end due to these new lines so if you have the cash, now may be the time. I gigged mine for years, it's a weapon!
  • monkman76 15 Jul 2019 15:14:25 14,838 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oh yeah, cheers. Hm, not really much in it price-wise though, so why go Baja over these new ones?
  • quadfather 15 Jul 2019 16:20:52 34,671 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @wuntyphyve

What do you think of the Schecter Stiletto Studio-4 Fretless Electric Bass (4 String, Honey Satin)
  • DrStrangelove 15 Jul 2019 17:01:53 14,373 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I just ordered me a Gibson Les Paul. After we've established their immaculate quality, hum proofness and non-birdiness.
  • MikeP 15 Jul 2019 17:24:28 2,939 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Drakesmoke Thanks for the run-down over a couple of posts, that's really good information.
  • quadfather 15 Jul 2019 18:27:41 34,671 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've had a few pints and my finger is hovering over a really expensive bass with money I don't have. This is awful.
  • DrStrangelove 15 Jul 2019 18:35:58 14,373 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @quadfather

What you need to make the decision easier is more booze
  • monkman76 15 Jul 2019 18:37:13 14,838 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    But ideally free booze
  • Juz 15 Jul 2019 22:58:18 3,311 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    I just ordered me a Gibson Les Paul. After we've established their immaculate quality, hum proofness and non-birdiness.
    Lol. I love mine and Iím sure you will too. Whatchoo go for?
  • Drakesmoke 16 Jul 2019 00:14:25 570 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    Oh yeah, cheers. Hm, not really much in it price-wise though, so why go Baja over these new ones?
    I must admit I haven't properly read into the new ones because I don't need to. My 50s Baja though - I like what I'd say is your holy trinity best, I.e. Strat, Tele, Les Paul. And my Tele is the only one of the three where I've thought, 'that's it. Don't need another'.

One thing I like over other Teles is the neck. It's quite girthy and has a beautiful soft V shape. THE best neck I have played. If the Vintera or whatever you are looking at doesn't have that you owe it to yourself to try and get one in hand to compare. The Baja has had a serious reputation since it came out for a reason. I'm quite missionary about them!

The pickups are great, can't remember the exact one in the bridge but I think it's Custom Shop Broadcaster. It's got twang but it can kick you in the face.

The Neck pickup is again Custom Shop. Twisted Tele - quite 'Strat neck' and a bit more usable live than a trad Tele neck pickup.

You get S1 switching so you get extra tones. One is like a real thin funky choppy out of phase sound clean. Stick gain on that and you can get some claws out and it becomes a kick-arse cocked wah type vibe. Then, you can run both pickups in parallel which essentially makes them function as a humbucker, so you can get some beef and approximate a Les Paul.

It has vintage capstan type tuners, I think the nut is tusq type, it's just awesome.

Don't necessarily always be sold by a US build. High end Mex can kick it just fine with American instruments. The Classic Player series are designed by the US Custom Shop master builders anyway.

I used it for years for my soul band which was seven strong with horns and everything and it just worked. Nothing cuts in that environment like a Tele whichever you'd choose. Just remember if people wince roll the tone to 8!

If you can, get to a shop with both and compare.
  • monkman76 16 Jul 2019 05:58:49 14,838 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cheers. Thing is I think the Vintera (modified version) is just a slight rebrand of exactly what you're describing. Mexican, same 4 pickup positions, same S1 switch. Out of my price range really anyway but I just love the colours of the one I posted :)
  • DrStrangelove 16 Jul 2019 06:54:59 14,373 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Juz wrote:
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    A 2018 LP Faded worn cherry. An actual US Gibson Les Paul with a gorgeous soft case for Ä699, I couldn't believe it. They discontinued it in 2019 and apparently I snatched the last one left in Germany.
  • Juz 16 Jul 2019 08:11:49 3,311 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    Juz wrote:
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    A 2018 LP Faded worn cherry. An actual US Gibson Les Paul with a gorgeous soft case for Ä699, I couldn't believe it. They discontinued it in 2019 and apparently I snatched the last one left in Germany.
    Noice! My old SG was faded cherry.

The inescapable truth is that a PRS SE of similar money (like I've also got - I LIKE the birds!) will be vastly superior in terms of quality of finish, but will feel almost clinical in the hands, whereas the LP feels a little bit..unrefined I guess is the best way of putting it.

The LP is like an old yank muscle car: not amazingly put together, and only good for one thing, but sounds fucking awesome and gives you a grin when you use it. The PRS is like a quick Honda Civic or something..dunno where that leaves my Strat Elite in this analogy..I'm bored at work - waiting for film jobs to come in.
  • smemma 16 Jul 2019 11:57:27 688 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well my new LP Standard 50s (left handed) order is apparently not likely to make it into the uk until at least October, so Iím getting impatient and being drawn back to a LH Rickenbacker 360! Has anyone here got a 360? Would be interested in opinions as I know theyíre a bit divisive...
  • MikeP 16 Jul 2019 12:03:08 2,939 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Hah! That's an interesting way to describe them.

At the end of the day, if playing makes you feel happy, that's what you're looking for. Doesn't really matter if it's a megabucks custom shop, or an Epi/Squier if you want to play it, it's working for you.
  • DrStrangelove 16 Jul 2019 17:42:59 14,373 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Juz

Yeah I think I agree with that (aside from PRS, I only tried an SE once in the shop, I was very impressed, it was super smooth but it just was't my thing--I mean, I can't say much about them).

A Les Paul is an ergonomic nightmare, it's heavy, bulky, has zero contour for your belly or forearm, bad upper fret access and so on. In terms of comfort and playability, it's not a good guitar, Gibson's pricing is questionable and their QC is... inconsistent. But that sound... there's just nothing that sounds quite like it. If I want to make my guitar sing and squeal like Gary Moore's, there's just nothing else like it.

In contrast, I've got a Jackson Dinky which is super comfortable, super playable, super fast etc. but it doesn't sound special. It's a metal guitar and it's excellent at that, but... yeah it's a metal guitar like a thousand others. It sounds just like any other metal guitar with the same pickup.

I was also looking at the Jackson Monarkh which is their LP-looking guitar. I was expecting it wouldn't be what I'm looking for (I want LP sound, I don't care if it somehow looks like one), and yeah in the videos it sounds just like metal guitar no. 6134.

I guess it's telling that among all my guitars my favourite is that old Epi SG, it's just got more character than anything else I've got.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 17:43:26 16-07-2019
  • Drakesmoke 22 Jul 2019 08:40:00 570 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    So a really nice thing happened yesterday. I went to visit my gran and my aunt and uncle from Wales were over. My auntie greeted me at the door with 'there's a guitar in the front room for you'.

So it turns out she bought an Alvarez AC65 classical guitar for her granddaughter about two years ago who never took to it and she just wanted it out of the house.

It's actually really nice and definitely several steps above many of the wonky 'my first guitar' efforts I often associate nylon strings with. It's also my first classical guitar full stop. Plays very well and sounds lovely, and it's all solid mahogany with a solid cedar top, bone nut, it's great.

The only issue, and here is where I am asking for advice, is obviously one of them has smoked in the house and it does have a subtle hint of ash tray about it.

I'm thinking string change and a thorough lemon oil of the fretboard (rosewood) but the only thing I can think of for the body is polish. Any tips? Anything you could throw in the soundhole for instance to absorb anything? Anything that would help the case too?
  • wuntyphyve 22 Jul 2019 16:47:11 12,429 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    I've had a few pints and my finger is hovering over a really expensive bass with money I don't have. This is awful.
    Sorry man I've been in the middle of fucking nowhere for a week. Did you buy one or manage to resist?
  • quadfather 22 Jul 2019 18:43:56 34,671 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @wuntyphyve

Managed to resist. Just.

Looking at either one of those Sandberg's or a shecter. I won't be happy until I have a fretless bass and I'm not sticking to entry level this time
  • fontgeeksogood 22 Jul 2019 18:46:31 6,541 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Get a PRS
  • DrStrangelove 22 Jul 2019 19:19:56 14,373 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's finally arrived \o/

• wuntyphyve 22 Jul 2019 20:03:41 12,429 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @quadfather Iím strictly second hand. Iíd love to get something in the region of a new sandberg or USA fender but I canít save for shit and always end up splurging on a mid tier second hand instrument, like Iím about to do again. A nice limited edition Fender Jazz bass has popped up for under 400 quid and I think Iíll get that instead of the sandberg. I donít mind second hand so long as the bass is decent nick.
  • quadfather 23 Jul 2019 13:36:38 34,671 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @wuntyphyve

My problem is that I change my mind on a daily basis.
  • MikeP 23 Jul 2019 20:13:58 2,939 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I have a Yamaha THR10 amp that I'm no longer using. Don't suppose anyone's in the market for one?
  • DrStrangelove 23 Jul 2019 21:57:23 14,373 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    For the record, the new Gibson also has no control cavity shielding whatsoever. I've dug deeper into all this stuff and there's much more to this than that, proper shielding is a complicated issue and my early amateur conclusions were propably rubbish.

Gibson not giving a fuck about shielding may be the main reason why people have noise issues with them, but apparently that's only part of the problem. If you've got one with those oldschool braided wires that are for both shielding and pickup earthing, that's possibly a flawed design too potentially causing earth loop issues.

I've ordered a multimeter which revealed that in my Epiphone I've got flawed earthing. It kinda works but not as well as it should. I've also ordered copper tape and wires and shit and I'm planning to do a before-after video to compare the difference between improper and proper shielding and wiring.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 21:58:33 23-07-2019
  • smemma 23 Jul 2019 22:02:36 688 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Went to try out a new Les Paul Standard yesterday and came home with a Custom Shop 58 for twice the price yesterday - the single most incredible sounding guitar Iíve ever played. Sadly found some issues with the binding and had to return it - thought I was doing the sensible thing (as for the same money Iíve now got a stunning Rickenbacker 360 and will get a LP Standard 60s when it arrives) but I canít stop thinking about that custom shop.....
  • DrStrangelove 23 Jul 2019 22:51:17 14,373 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @smemma

Heh there are good reasons to get a Gibson, but quality control isn't necessarily among them.

edit: that said, if you get an incredibly sounding Gibson you must keep it no matter how rubbish it's made

Edited by DrStrangelove at 23:16:41 23-07-2019
  • smemma 24 Jul 2019 08:47:44 688 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @DrStrangelove Iím desperately trying to figure out ways to get it back in my life! I realise Gibson quality control is very iffy, but I was just concerned that for £3,800 it wasn't good enough that it was going to need some repair work not too far down the line!

But I need it back. Itís got itís claws into me

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.