I bought a guitar is it rubbish? Page 3

• Deleted user 9 February 2016 14:37:44
    I guess it's just I've grown up with tabs, didn't know you could shift orientation - pro tip!

But, if real newbies pick it up, they'll have difficulty then reading the 'real' tablature, I would assume?
  • mothercruncher 9 Feb 2016 14:54:19 16,197 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    SG is an excellent choice for a beginner what with the shorter scale length making some fretting easier... unless you're very tall and/or have very long fingers.
    At the end of the day a beginners guitar should be cheap so that cost isn't a barrier to giving it a go but have a decent neck and action so playing it isn't a chore. I think the Yamaha Pacificas are a brilliant all round starting point.
  • Deleted user 9 February 2016 15:13:36
    A cheapo guitar with a few quid spent on setting it up right > equivalent cheapo + setup costs guitar
  • DUFFMAN5 9 Feb 2016 15:18:33 24,527 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I have always fancied the Rick Turner LB/model 1 guitar.
    I just don't think my open chords, G Cm and Dm will do it justice ;)
  • Duffking 9 Feb 2016 15:30:17 16,156 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    gravearchitecture wrote:
    Duffking wrote:
    Rocksmith actually makes it harder for a beginner because it doesn't correct bad playing habits, and also adds an extra layer of difficulty in having to read a bloody screen at the same time as putting your fingers on the right frets and fighting the right string to pick.
    harder compared to what? versus a proper instructor, it's definitely worse, but it's better than nothing, and actually pretty good IMO.

the reading a screen thing is analogous to reading tabs IMO. although i think rocksmith does make it hard to break away from reading ANYTHING and do it from memory, as it's ironically much more intuitive to read than tab. with tab i initially found it hard to read at the same pace as i'm playing so i remembered everything instead. with rocksmith i struggle to play the songs from memory unless i learn them outside of the game after.
    Harder than finding some decent lessons online to follow and downloading a few tabs.

I've been playing for about 8 months and I only found rocksmith even close to helpful about 2 months ago. As a teaching tool it's next to worthless, IMO. The lessons in particular are terrible.

But once you've had a few months of practice it's pretty fun to mess about with scales in session mode and riff repeater is a decent way to slow a tab down.

As for analagous to reading tabs... when I play off a tab I don't tend to look at the tab as I play. I read a few notes, get those down, read a few more, add those on, and build it up until I know the riff.

Edited by Duffking at 15:31:07 09-02-2016
  • mothercruncher 9 Feb 2016 16:19:49 16,197 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    But that works for you, others might need something more to keep the interest. Rocksmith is about as good as that gets.
  • Beetroot_Bertie 9 Feb 2016 22:04:39 449 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    As a beginner I've found a PC/Mac app called 'Yousician' (formerly GuitarBots) to be a little more forgiving than Rocksmith.

It's free but has a rather hefty subscription model attached to it should you wish to pursue that. It gives you some free minutes every day - probably enough for a 20 minute session every 12 hrs but get a bit naggy about the benefits of subscribing. What I do like is that its display of notes scrolls across the screen rather than out of it and I've found that much easier to interpret and react to. As such it's much closer to tab too.

The songs are a bit naff sounding but I've found it a gentler start than Rocksmith for a newb. I only mention it because it might be useful for someone else starting out and the free time each day is enough for some progression. It'd be interesting to hear how it fares with seasoned twangers.
  • Deleted user 9 February 2016 22:12:07
    I downloaded Yousician a while back and haven't tried it yet, you reminded me.

Still squealing with delight at purposefully detuning and then getting the GForce to magically retune with a whir of servos
  • Mr_Sleep 9 Feb 2016 22:50:59 22,568 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    DADGAD that shit. Then do lots of heroin and get into fights and become a folk legend.

I am pretty sure that's how it works.
  • mothercruncher 9 Feb 2016 23:18:35 16,197 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I bet it can't tune Joni Mitchell.
  • mAc6 9 Feb 2016 23:22:46 3,382 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    dont fret
  • Deleted user 10 February 2016 03:30:03
    mothercruncher wrote:
    SG is an excellent choice for a beginner what with the shorter scale length making some fretting easier... unless you're very tall and/or have very long fingers.
    At the end of the day a beginners guitar should be cheap so that cost isn't a barrier to giving it a go but have a decent neck and action so playing it isn't a chore. I think the Yamaha Pacificas are a brilliant all round starting point.
    Yeah I've an Epiphone SG and it's a lovely little starter guitar, much, much nicer than a lot of my mate's first electrics. I also got lucky in terms of price, as a friend was selling it in a near mint condition for about a quarter of its RRP.

I also have an old electric bass sitting around that is a perfect example of a really shitty instrument putting you off playing, it's fucking horrible to hold; the body weighs a tonne and the neck is not nice at all. Also, high action on a bass (my hands are not especially strong to begin with) - foget it.

I kinda feel bad as I don't pick it up the SG often enough, but I mostly play drums anyway.
  • Dave_McCoy 11 Feb 2016 20:00:55 3,134 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I started on a Yahama Pacifica (which I still have) after playing a friends nylon stringed classical for a while. Still quite like my old Yahama. I now have a hollow body Gretsch with a bigsby tremolo which I am very fond of.

I found Rocksmith sort of useful but I do find myself staring at the screen and if it hits master mode and the notes disappear I feel suddenly lost.
  • Fourwisemen 13 Feb 2016 09:08:11 811 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ClemFandango wrote:
    I've owned approx. 30 guitars from 150 squiers to a 1976 les paul black beauty and 1973 telecaster to a gretsch White falcon. The best advice I can give to any beginner is spend a bit of money (up to 300-400) on your first guitar and try and go 2nd hand Japanese if you can. Even if you don't take to it you'll never lose your cash value.
    Good advice. I started with a cheap Fender dreadnought and I hated getting to grips with it to the point where I nearly gave in.

I then bought a PRS SE245 (sorry Clem, I like it) which got me back into it, but I very rarely plugged it in..I just pissed about on the sofa.

The best decision I ever made though was realising I just needed an easier playing acoustic so bought a mahogany topped Taylor GS Mini. To say I love this guitar is an understatement and would go so far as to say it contributed to my improvement as a player.....not that I'm anything special at all but anyone who can't play guitar would think I can play.

Best advice I could give, spend a reasonable amount, it does make a difference.
  • Stan546 13 Feb 2016 09:29:20 1,115 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I* went out and spent 450 on a guitar, 150 on an amp and a further 60 on a case 10 years ago. I stopped playing after a month and now it sits dorment at my parents. It was a lovely electric acoustic guitar. I just haven't got the patience to get over the first 3 months of being shit.

Now piano on the other hand, 60 second hand old keyboard my grandparents brought at a car boot, after 3 days I'd learnt several chords, twinkle twinkle twinkle little star, old McDonald's farm
    and a random one from a book! Just gotta learn to read music now!

*Parents paid for it, Dad said I could have 500 for my first GCSE, I could have spent that better!

Edited by Stan546 at 09:30:46 13-02-2016
  • Deleted user 13 February 2016 09:40:04
    Jesus, you were handed 500 sheets for sitting a school exam?
  • Stan546 13 Feb 2016 09:42:52 1,115 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, my dad made the promise when I was 11 and I never let him forget it. I couldn't believe it either, especially as it was an early exam I took at 15 and I only got a C!

It might have helped he loved guitars and I wanted to buy one.

Edited by Stan546 at 09:43:36 13-02-2016
  • Deleted user 13 February 2016 09:48:58
    Decent! Think I was allowed a takeaway and a rented game at the weekend (that said, it was still a good weekend!)
  • Mr_Sleep 13 Feb 2016 11:22:46 22,568 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Stan546 wrote:
    Now piano on the other hand, 60 second hand old keyboard my grandparents brought at a car boot, after 3 days I'd learnt several chords, twinkle twinkle twinkle little star, old McDonald's farm
    and a random one from a book! Just gotta learn to read music now!
    It's worth having a look at Michael Aaron's Piano Course. It is very much in the classical tradition the further you get into them but they are good for getting to grips with finger positions and it gently leads you into more complicated understanding.
  • Stan546 13 Feb 2016 12:31:16 1,115 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Mr_Sleep Actually that looks really good, so far I'd just been looking online for staff, YouTube videos and basic music sheets I could print off, but that looks like it'll give me direction! Plus I prefer learning the more classical music, so thank you very much!
  • Deleted user 13 February 2016 13:15:48
    Whomever tipped Yousician, this is an excellent tool (better than RockSmith IMO) for a beginner!
  • mAc6 13 Feb 2016 20:21:33 3,382 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I,got the Logitech rare woodone SE on sale army Zavvi, couple of years ago, it is orange coloured
  • mothercruncher 13 Feb 2016 20:31:22 16,197 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Im sorry, you bought a reduced orange special edition wooden Logitech army... I dunno, shoe? At Zavvi you say?
  • Deleted user 13 February 2016 21:02:34
    I bought my nephew an Orange guitar starter kit, the guitar is actually really great, and you get a lil practice amp (single channel but great and loud), strap, gig bag, cable, picks and a tuner.

Not like when I started, the starter guitars were fucking shite
  • Fourwisemen 13 Feb 2016 23:18:53 811 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @ClemFandango

It's funny how different shaped guitars can turn you on or off. My lad really likes the Telecaster shape, I really can't stand it. I look at a PRS, especially a decent priced one and just want to touch it....he couldn't care less.

We both like Gibsons.

I do have an itch for a new guitar, even though I think the GS Mini could keep me happy for life, but nor sure what next. I'd love a full size Taylor or Martin but they are out of my budget right now.

That 210ce looks pretty nice on vids I've just looked at.

Fave guitar you've owned is what Clem?
  • Dirtbox 14 Feb 2016 00:11:33 91,097 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Karl_B 14 Feb 2016 01:15:53 8 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Never blame the tools. Only you can be fucking rubbish, not the objects around you. Given the chance you can make them great.

mark Zuckerberg without a keyboard was shit too.

With? Not so much.
  • Pipedream 14 Feb 2016 01:55:19 471 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    In my youth I played guitar daily, made me miss out of a console generation. Due to girls, health, work and other reasons I pretty much stopped playing.

I decided I wanted to play again and start fresh so sold my Gibson, my Engl combo and bought a Chapman and a typical digital practice amp. Now I can't put the thing down and with my only gaming being a bit of 3ds.

Interesting life story. I also had all bran today.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.