I bought a guitar is it rubbish? Page 21

• smemma 24 Jul 2019 08:47:44 713 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @DrStrangelove Iím desperately trying to figure out ways to get it back in my life! I realise Gibson quality control is very iffy, but I was just concerned that for £3,800 it wasn't good enough that it was going to need some repair work not too far down the line!

But I need it back. Itís got itís claws into me
  • Drakesmoke 24 Jul 2019 08:50:49 591 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    smemma wrote:
    Went to try out a new Les Paul Standard yesterday and came home with a Custom Shop 58 for twice the price yesterday - the single most incredible sounding guitar Iíve ever played. Sadly found some issues with the binding and had to return it - thought I was doing the sensible thing (as for the same money Iíve now got a stunning Rickenbacker 360 and will get a LP Standard 60s when it arrives) but I canít stop thinking about that custom shop.....
    If the problems with binding are that there is colour bleed from the finish, it's actually possibly period correct. No word of a lie! A guitar group I am in on FB had a big thing where there was a sale on these and the issue was discussed at length.
  • smemma 24 Jul 2019 09:08:01 713 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Drakesmoke no it wasnít that - it had bleed but thatís fine, it was that clearly it split during production and they lacquered over it, and also one small section had basically no nitro over it, and felt rough to touch - thought the outer binding might come away from the body over time
  • Drakesmoke 24 Jul 2019 10:01:19 591 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @smemma Ah. That is poor. Or at least the sort of thing that should have knocked a few hundred off the price.
  • smemma 24 Jul 2019 10:05:36 713 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Drakesmoke they offered £200 off....

Going to see if theyíll do an extra bit of deal considering I just bought the Rickenbacker too

And then itís just the small matter of finding an additional £1200 or so.
  • fontgeeksogood 24 Jul 2019 11:31:36 9,523 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Period correct shittily finished guitar: £3,800

PRS would not do this. Never buy a guitar with a dead bloke's name on it
  • Drakesmoke 24 Jul 2019 11:46:19 591 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:

That means you have like 30 years tops to buy a PRS
  • fontgeeksogood 24 Jul 2019 11:51:56 9,523 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    No, Rodger Paul Reed Smith is gonna live forever
  • monkman76 24 Jul 2019 12:12:13 16,064 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Drakesmoke wrote:
    fontgeeksogood wrote:

That means you have like 30 years tops to buy a PRS
    And that's if he doesn't get taken out by the RSPB
  • fontgeeksogood 24 Jul 2019 12:27:34 9,523 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Have the RSPB become radicalised, holding up in Cheddar Gorge
  • smemma 24 Jul 2019 12:36:39 713 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    They were trying to flog me a PRS, the fools.
  • DrStrangelove 25 Jul 2019 01:11:15 15,115 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So I've applied copper tape shielding to my Epiphone's control cavity (and slightly rewired it following guidelines I've found online). And I've made before and after recordings for testing.

It certainly makes a difference, if only partially. I guess you'll have to separate low frequency hum and high frequency buzz. The former is still there, the latter (the more annoying one) is gone.

I suspect the LF hum is caught by the pickups and the HF buzz in the control cavity. Also the LF hum is caused by some source in a certain direction, turning left or right by 90 degrees almost eliminates it. The HF buzz was always there no matter the angle, and now it's gone no matter the angle. Also, as expected, holding hand/belly against the cover plate has no effect anymore. The effect of touching metal parts is also reduced because that seems to be mostly about the HF buzz too.

I should mention that I'm testing this with the Katana on the highest gain channel, so noise-free is not going to happen. When coil splitting, all hell breaks loose. So, near-silence in the right angle is probably no minor feat.

I will cover the pickup cavities in copper tape next, but I suspect that won't make much of a difference because obviously you can't shield the pickups from the top. I will try anyway and make more recordings, and add recordings of my other guitars as well, before I make a comparison video out of that all.

But in any case, I can already recommend shielding the control cavity, that alone makes a tangible difference already.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 01:13:46 25-07-2019
  • MikeP 29 Jul 2019 10:16:16 2,965 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I've decided to do a spot of rationalisation in my guitar collection, so I'm selling two of them.

The first is a Fender Telecaster Player HH in Tidepool (metallic blue). Nice satin neck, humbuckers are coil-tapped as standard. It's in absolutely perfect condition, having not been played much. Its spot has been taken by my Yamaha Revstar.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-dept/electric-guitars/telecaster/fender-player-telecaster-hh-tidepool-maple-fretboard

I'd be happy to let it go for £425.

The second is a Fender Classic Player Jaguar HH in Olympic White. It's in really good condition, just one chip in the finish by the lower edge of the neck pocket. That pinged off when the neck was taken out for a truss-rod adjustment, but it was stuck back years ago and has sat there ever since.

It's a great guitar, but it's not quite my style. It has a brilliant control system. The control setup has a master kill switch, the humbuckers have individual blend controls so they can be moved from full humbucker to single coil individually, each pickup has an on/off switch, there's a bass cut switch, and a master volume and tone pot.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/fender-classic-player-jaguar-hh-pau-ferro-fretboard-olympic-white

I'm looking for £525 for this.

I live in North London - happy to let people come over and have a try if you're interested. Can also send pics, just haven't uploaded them yet.
  • quadfather 30 Jul 2019 12:07:29 36,416 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fuck it. I'm on the train into Manchester and I'm going to buy a new bass and then get pissed to forget about the expenditure.
  • quadfather 30 Jul 2019 13:43:03 36,416 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well that didn't take long. I went into a shop and looked at the basses. One immediately stood out, practically shouting at me. It's a beautiful Mexican fender precision and I simply couldnt leave without it. What a weird feeling. It was like I'd gone somewhere to pick up something that was already mine. Bizarre. Either that or I'm topping up from last night over this pint. But it's FUCKING BEAUTIFUL.
  • quadfather 30 Jul 2019 15:02:06 36,416 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @wuntyphyve

It's so beautiful
  • wuntyate 30 Jul 2019 15:11:48 14,513 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @quadfather Pics! Colour? I nearly got a jazz bass the other day but I'm back on track for this Sandberg now, picking it up at the weekend.
  • Slikz 30 Jul 2019 15:42:07 293 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    So I went into the shop to buy my first 'mess-around' guitar and came out with a fender player series strat in polar white. As soon as I saw it I had to have it - its beautiful. Don't know what the hell I'm doing but just started using the fender play app, any recommendations would be appreciated!
  • monkman76 30 Jul 2019 15:48:26 16,064 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    https://www.justinguitar.com/

I'm basically Justin's pimp in this thread, but he's an incredible resource for an absolute beginner to guitar (I started from scratch two years ago). His videos are also all on Youtube, but you can log into his website and track your progress etc. Can't recommend him highly enough. Apart from some music theory stuff it's all free too.

Edited by monkman76 at 15:49:23 30-07-2019
  • Ddanno 30 Jul 2019 16:09:50 1,555 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    https://www.justinguitar.com/

I'm basically Justin's pimp in this thread, but he's an incredible resource for an absolute beginner to guitar (I started from scratch two years ago). His videos are also all on Youtube, but you can log into his website and track your progress etc. Can't recommend him highly enough. Apart from some music theory stuff it's all free too.
    Can recommend.
  • quadfather 30 Jul 2019 18:50:41 36,416 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    wuntyphyve wrote:
    @quadfather Pics! Colour? I nearly got a jazz bass the other day but I'm back on track for this Sandberg now, picking it up at the weekend.
    Oh my god I am in love with it. I'm just sat here on the chair playing along to some random shit on chordify, and it's fucking singing

https://photos.app.goo.gl/NDirvFSEHdzzrrcM9
  • wuntyate 30 Jul 2019 20:49:59 14,513 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @quadfather Ah man that is lovely. Quite the sexy colour! There's something about the look of a Fender P Bass that just seems to make the world alright. Happy with how it sounds? Weirdly enough I've started playing along with stuff on my bass randomly, something I've never done before, and boy am I actually quite enjoying it. No pressure to come up with shit.

Although right now I'm still trying to mix this EP I'm working on with my mate and my brain is literally running out my ears. We've just booked it in for a guy to master it at the end of the week because we literally cannot spend any more time tweaking it as I don't think it's going to get any better due to reaching our limitations. Still, first attempt at the old DIY approach. It's been quite the learning curve.
  • quadfather 30 Jul 2019 21:19:30 36,416 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @wuntyphyve

I'm not quite at that stage yet, but good luck with the recording.

Yeah dead happy with it straight away. The action is perfect so I just need to tinker with the intonation to fine tune it. Strings are new so will leave them on for a bit. I fucking love the colour.

But yeah, it's great fun to just pick stuff up and play along. The chordify app is great - you can only choose guitar, piano or ukelele (?) Chords but it's enough to get you by and it lets you do what you want basically. It's great fun. I've just played some blues on this baby, and it sounds/feels like someone is caressing my balls. Fantastic stuff.
  • wuntyate 30 Jul 2019 21:27:04 14,513 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @quadfather I'm probably the worst person in the world to actually attempt mixing as I'm tone deaf but it passes the time. Surprisingly fun as well.

Not heard of Chordify I'll maybe have a wee look.

That'll be your next thing won't it... You'll be buying a Ukulele next. Actually joking aside the wife's uncle just started learning it last year and he fucking loves it.
  • wuntyate 30 Jul 2019 21:28:47 14,513 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Actually I still don't know what notes I play on this thing so chordify I don't think is compatible with me ha ha. I'm attempting bass theory AGAIN just now and dammit I'm going to stick with it.
  • fontgeeksogood 30 Jul 2019 21:30:41 9,523 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Quaddy I just looked at a picture of a precision bass. There's no pictures of birds on the fretboard wtf
  • quadfather 31 Jul 2019 13:12:18 36,416 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    My guitar makes birds appear in the air, never mind the fretboard
  • monkman76 31 Jul 2019 13:21:58 16,064 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Basses are not tweeters, they're woofers. I assume it has an assortment of dogs on the fretboard.
  • DrStrangelove 31 Jul 2019 13:26:34 15,115 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Basses, obviously
  • quadfather 31 Jul 2019 13:48:30 36,416 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm glad I didn't go for the fretless one now. When I played one in the shop, even with markers you can still be out of you're not careful. The slides are nice but I'll leave that to the double bass. Which unfortunately has been collecting dust since I got back into electric. Different style of music playing anyway.

I can't stop playing blues on this new bass. It just sounds so good.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.