I bought a guitar is it rubbish? Page 22

Next Last
  • quadfather 31 Jul 2019 13:51:02 34,901 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    wuntyphyve wrote:
    Actually I still don't know what notes I play on this thing so chordify I don't think is compatible with me ha ha. I'm attempting bass theory AGAIN just now and dammit I'm going to stick with it.
    It's dead easy mate. It's more of a guide really to keep you playing in time. I just glance at the root notes going by in time to make sure I'm still in the groove. You feel it more that see it anyway. It's great for a solo player. And it's free.
  • DrStrangelove 3 Aug 2019 02:54:15 14,489 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    How to fake a Gibson with a cheap Epiphone and no one will ever know

• wuntyphyve 6 Aug 2019 11:05:51 12,668 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @quadfather How are you enjoying the Fender? I picked up that Sandberg at the weekend. Guy had it all set to try with amp etc but I was in a hurry so quickly checked it over and took it home.

Turns out the volume potentiometer is fucked. It's got a slight wiggle to it and if I turn it it cuts out. I've opened it up and sprayed with contact cleaner, worked it in, checked the wiring etc but no joy. Messaged the guy, said he feels awful but I said that it was my decision not to check it so hey ho.

Got it booked into the guitar repair man in town tomorrow, it's an easy fix so long as he's got that pot in stock. Just frustrated as it's in perfect nick and plays beautifully. Ce la vie. The joys of buying second hand gear. By his own admission it was sitting unplayed for quite some time so that's presumably a factor.
  • monkman76 6 Aug 2019 11:17:26 14,925 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I also bought a Fender (bit of a trend in here) - a Player strat in sage green metallic with humbucker in the bridge. I'm in love.
  • quadfather 6 Aug 2019 13:45:56 34,901 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    wuntyphyve wrote:
    @quadfather How are you enjoying the Fender? I picked up that Sandberg at the weekend. Guy had it all set to try with amp etc but I was in a hurry so quickly checked it over and took it home.

Turns out the volume potentiometer is fucked. It's got a slight wiggle to it and if I turn it it cuts out. I've opened it up and sprayed with contact cleaner, worked it in, checked the wiring etc but no joy. Messaged the guy, said he feels awful but I said that it was my decision not to check it so hey ho.

Got it booked into the guitar repair man in town tomorrow, it's an easy fix so long as he's got that pot in stock. Just frustrated as it's in perfect nick and plays beautifully. Ce la vie. The joys of buying second hand gear. By his own admission it was sitting unplayed for quite some time so that's presumably a factor.
    Aw that's a shame. I hope you get it fixed up properly. What style did you go for in the end?

The fender is absolutely beautiful. It's like as soon as I rest my left hand on the frets, I'm just completely relaxed. It's such a relaxing bass. I don't know what it is. Maybe the neck, I don't know, but it just feels right.

Playing relatively quiet and simple stuff at the moment just to get used to the feel and tone. Friend is singing and playing to sugar queen by the band of heathens so I'm learning some stuff for that at the moment and it's just great.

Starting to do some talking heads type stuff on it too.

So yeah, love at first sight.
  • wuntyphyve 6 Aug 2019 15:16:32 12,668 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @quadfather Oh aye I'll get it sorted no bother. Not the first time I've had pot issues and I'm sure it won't be the last. It's just frustrating as I think I know what you mean with regards to the feeling on the fretboard. This just feels joyful. It's also probably the lowest, smoothest action I've had on a bass yet. To be fair as it's for home studio use I never actually touch the volume pot, but it would bug me if I didn't get it sorted as I'll never know when I'll get the itch to get another band together for live stuff.

It's this bass (only in black): https://www.sandberg-guitars.de/electra-vs-4/

Did you get a DI box sorted btw?
  • quadfather 6 Aug 2019 15:37:21 34,901 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @wuntyphyve

Fair do's then I guess. Yeah the fender has really low action as well. That's contributing to the smoothness too.

That's a lovely bass. Looks like a precision.

I've not bought a di box yet, as when I'm at home I just go straight into the markbass amp, and there's a music man 65 linked to another musicman 150 at the studio so I just go straight into that. If we're recording, I'll go into a di box and then the mixer, so I think most situations are covered at the moment. I just borrow the kit that's at the studio really.
  • wuntyphyve 6 Aug 2019 16:00:43 12,668 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @quadfather It's light too. Although not as light as this guy which I've been using recently: https://www.guitar.co.uk/traben-array-attack-4-string-black-burl-bass , that guys is like playing an instrument that only exists in your head it's so light.

Edited by wuntyphyve at 16:01:16 06-08-2019
  • fontgeeksogood 6 Aug 2019 20:21:11 6,762 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I need a 12 string acoustic and PRS uncoolly don't make one. Any recommendations? Budget is under £400 will that just get me shitters
  • quadfather 7 Aug 2019 08:24:44 34,901 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    wuntyphyve wrote:
    @quadfather It's light too. Although not as light as this guy which I've been using recently: https://www.guitar.co.uk/traben-array-attack-4-string-black-burl-bass , that guys is like playing an instrument that only exists in your head it's so light.
    Yeah the weight was a factor too. Friend has a g and l bass and it weighs a bloody ton. Shoulder is knackered after about half an hour. The fender is about mid weight I'd guess.

Bah, back to work today after a week and a half off. No bass in sight :-(
  • wuntyphyve 7 Aug 2019 10:12:56 12,668 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    When I was doing a lot of band stuff years ago I actually ended up needing a massage on a semi regular basis. The bass was so heavy that it was completely fucking my back. Granted the jumping about like a twat wasn't helping.

This was it: https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/14102411201758--traben-neo-4-aged-white

Heavy bastard. I still have it but it doesn't get played much these days.

It's frustrating. I would love to just can work and sit and bass it all day.

Edited by wuntyphyve at 10:14:08 07-08-2019
  • quadfather 7 Aug 2019 10:47:13 34,901 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @wuntyphyve

Tell me about it. I would happily tell work to fucking do one and just play music all the time. Stupid fucking slavery society.
  • wuntyphyve 7 Aug 2019 10:56:17 12,668 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    This is what we have evolved to. Look at us humans, so creative and intelligent, yet we make ourselves slaves for 8-10 hours a day through the best, fittest and most inspired times of our lives. Joy.
  • fontgeeksogood 3 Sep 2019 21:05:13 6,762 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Not a guitar but it might be rubbish.

I bought an upright Heintzmann piano, well over a hundred years old, for very little money (like, if-its-shit-burning-it-for-firewood-is-still-reasonable money), it's got a very unique sound, I'm sure it needs tuning but I kinda like it the way it sounds (almost tinny, not really what I would call way out of tune but my ears are a bit shit). Musos of EG, anyone had experience with piano tuners
  • Juz 4 Sep 2019 07:20:22 3,330 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:

I bought an upright Heintzmann piano, well over a hundred years old, for very little money (like, if-its-shit-burning-it-for-firewood-is-still-reasonable money), it's got a very unique sound, I'm sure it needs tuning but I kinda like it the way it sounds (almost tinny, not really what I would call way out of tune but my ears are a bit shit). Musos of EG, anyone had experience with piano tuners
    Donít call that blind cunt from Friday Night Dinner.
  • 46matt 4 Sep 2019 10:31:59 142 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Anyone had experience with active pick ups? Iíve only used passive but looking at a new guitar that has EMG 81/85 pickups. Pros/cons?
  • DrStrangelove 4 Sep 2019 12:26:53 14,489 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    46matt wrote:
    Anyone had experience with active pick ups? Iíve only used passive but looking at a new guitar that has EMG 81/85 pickups. Pros/cons?
    The EMG-81 is the only active pickup I've ever used, so I can't say anything about other ones. One difference is obviously that you'll have to put a battery in the guitar, but it's so long-lived that this shouldn't be an issue (just make sure to always have a spare one ready).

As for its tone and characteristics, most people either love them or hate them, and I'm in the hate camp. In my opinion they sound awfully weak and sterile.

They excel when using tons of gain and effects as they manage to uphold definition even in extreme conditions, where most pickups will become a muddy mess.

But the lower your gain and effects, the shittier they become. There they just have no character and sound like nothing. I'm in the raw sound camp with which I mean I use gain and effects sparingly, and for clean sounds, blues crunch, Gary Moore singing and even mid-gain classic Slayer sound I find them just useless. (I'll have to mention that Slayer actually use them, but I'm having a much harder time getting that raw sound out of an EMG-81--even the stock pups of my Les Paul get me there faster).

Some people will tell you they quite like their clean sound, but they are wrong.

So I had this Jackson that came with an EMG-81 (single pickup guitar). That was good for definition at high gain but useless for everything else. In the end I replaced it with a (passive) Seymour Duncan Black Winter and it completely transformed the guitar. Suddenly it was ok at blues crunch, much better at aggressive extreme metal sound, and clean it annihilated the EMG. It was like jumping up a few leagues.

So no, I really don't like the EMG-81, I think it's pretty shit. I'd even take one of the better Epiphone pickups over them any day.

Again, this is my personal opinion and there are other people who swear by them. But also again, they're wrong.
  • 46matt 4 Sep 2019 12:43:23 142 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Thanks for that, I know that the EMGs are typically used for metal but I typically play punk and heavier rock stuff so mostly just running a load of gain through my Orange TT.

Probably just need to have a go with one.
  • quadfather 4 Sep 2019 12:43:57 34,901 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:

If you're going to keep it and play it, first thing I'd recommend is locating it somewhere where you don't think you're going to move it for a while. As even simple moves can sometimes require a retuning afterwards.

A standard tuning should cost around £40 quid. However, that's assuming that the hardware is all ok. It could be fine, but it might need some pegs replacing or worse, work on the framework. If it's the latter you're talking potentially hundreds.

I'd get a tuning person to check it first and you'll know your options then.
  • DrStrangelove 4 Sep 2019 12:45:38 14,489 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    46matt wrote:
    Probably just need to have a go with one.
    Yeah definitely try them out if you have the chance.
  • fontgeeksogood 4 Sep 2019 16:41:22 6,762 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @quadfather thanks Quaddy
  • fontgeeksogood 8 Sep 2019 18:05:04 6,762 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    The piano tuning guy was fucking brilliant. We talked about what I was after, and then he tuned it all up and then showed me a video of how to mod it into a tack piano (and back), which I spent most of yesterday doing. It now sounds just great, like an old honky tonk cowboy era pianee (with mod) or regular piano (without)
  • quadfather 8 Sep 2019 21:44:54 34,901 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @fontgeeksogood

Excellent, he/she sounds like a great tuner. I like the wild west honky tonk vibe too, cool tone :)
  • Juz 9 Sep 2019 08:41:02 3,330 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Fucking piano wankers.
  • thelzdking 9 Sep 2019 08:44:30 9,522 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ten-minute piano solos in all of their songs from now on.
  • Juz 9 Sep 2019 09:51:36 3,330 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah - Elton John & Liberace in the house innit.
  • MikeP 9 Sep 2019 13:12:57 2,942 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Someone way back in the thread mentioned the Baja Telecaster.

I've done a little bit of chopping and changing recently on my guitars, and got my hands on a used Classic Player 60s Baja in pretty much unplayed condition.

It's excellent. In effect, it's a Telecaster with extra modes built in. The out of phase settings are great for really cutting funk sounds (also sound very good with the right distortion settings) and a series mode when the two pickups are in effective one massive humbucker.

Only change I'm going to make is to swap the mint green pickguard out for a black one. It just doesn't quite look right on the pale blue paint.
  • Drakesmoke 10 Sep 2019 09:23:00 572 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @MikeP

It was me. Sounds like you got the 60s one. I've got the fifties in butterscotch. That one has a big old chunky V neck which I love, I'd think yours will be a slimmer taper?

One really cool sound I've found is to use overdrive on the out of phase sound, very 'cocked wah' sounding.
  • Drakesmoke 10 Sep 2019 09:26:41 572 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Acquiring my second Gibson today. The first one was an SG Special from the 2015 line. Spent a fair bit of money on that, stripping out the robotuners, installing a guard, swapping out all the awful tan furniture. It ended up looking great and it sounded great but I could not get on with that wide fretboard and it went.

Finally bit the bullet last week and have pulled the trigger on a second hand 60s Les Paul Standard in bourbon, from the new line up. Four hundred off RRP. Weird feeling. It's the guitar I said I wanted by 40 (three years off that still) and now it's coming today it doesn't quite feel real!

Edit: which will leave me with a bunch of Les Pauls. I have done a couple of upgrades to my Epi LP Tribute: proper Nashville Gotoh bridge ith the posts converted to Gibson spec, tusq nut, fret level, and coil split changed to phase reverse.

Head says I should flip it and put the cash into paying off the Gibson. Heart says I don't know and I also know I will be losing money on it.

Edited by Drakesmoke at 09:29:44 10-09-2019
  • MikeP 10 Sep 2019 12:10:43 2,942 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Drakesmoke Yeah, it's a slimmer neck, which I prefer. I've had a tele before with the 'baseball bat' and I didn't really get along with it.

I'm going to have a really good play with various overdrives (I have a Helix LT, so I have Quite A Few at my disposal) and see how they work with the out of phase settings.
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.