I bought a guitar is it rubbish? Page 24

• wuntyate 23 Apr 2020 13:03:08 16,987 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah I've not heard anything bad about them and know a few folk that have bought from them. I can also recommend GAK and Andertons
  • monkman76 23 Apr 2020 13:18:28 18,564 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah Andertons are great - apart from the entertaining YouTube channel, their customer service is incredibly helpful. They don't have the prettiest of the new Epi LPs in stock though, gah. Nor do GAK, who I also like (they're my local too).
  • BillMurray 30 Apr 2020 21:55:17 9,682 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    @wuntyate

And if we're talking surf green colour, the sea foam green fender precision is a thing of beauty

https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/fender-vintera-50s-precision-bass-sea-foam-green
    Complete coincidence as it's the first time i've wandered into this thread but i've just ordered one of these. Realised I had some cash sat in an old savings account and thought fuck it, always wanted to learn guitar and i'm not doing much else at the minute. I've owned a copy of Rocksmith for years and just ordered the cable a few days ago with the intention of borrowing a guitar from a friend but decided to take the plunge anyway.

Was looking at telecasters the other day but i've always prefered the sound of strats. Can't wait to get crackin'! Love the colour!

Edit* Sorry, meant the 6 string! Just saw 'vintera' and 'sea foam' and my mind went to the guitar i'd just ordered.

Edited by BillMurray at 21:57:45 30-04-2020
  • monkman76 30 Apr 2020 21:58:38 18,564 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Wuntyís link is a bass - now Iím imagining some sort of hilarious episode where it takes you hours of trying to tune it up enough to play guitar tunes :D
  • monkman76 30 Apr 2020 21:58:55 18,564 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Oh ha, you edited.
  • BillMurray 30 Apr 2020 22:15:33 9,682 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ;)

It's quite daunting but I'm pleased I've got a lot of friends who've played for years for advice. Currently subbing to a zillion YouTube guitar channels. No more Animal Crossing evenings for a while.

Edited by BillMurray at 22:17:23 30-04-2020
  • monkman76 30 Apr 2020 22:30:39 18,564 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Canít recommend Justin Guitar highly enough, and I also like Paul Davids, Sean Daniel and StichMethod. Marty Music is OK but Iím not sure why heís so popular.
  • BillMurray 30 Apr 2020 22:33:25 9,682 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @monkman76 I'll add all of those to the list! Ta!
  • fontgeeksogood 30 Apr 2020 22:33:43 12,913 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Paul Davids voice is somehow simpering AND patronising sounding.

I've decided I hate him
  • SnackPlissken 30 Apr 2020 22:34:10 3,199 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    FYI fender play are doing 3 months free during lockdown.
  • monkman76 30 Apr 2020 22:34:50 18,564 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    He comes across as smug but Iíve decided heís just Dutch
  • BillMurray 7 May 2020 20:13:27 9,682 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Completely forgot to post a photo!

Haven't had much of a chance to play around this week but i'm gonna throw myself into things with the long weekend. Ordered a strap, a little 1w headphone amp and i've got a lead on the way too.

Ignore the Pringle crumbs and empty bottle of whiskey at my feet.

Edited by BillMurray at 20:23:00 07-05-2020
  • wuntyate 7 May 2020 20:17:43 16,987 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That looks really nice man. Love the colour.
  • BillMurray 7 May 2020 20:28:40 9,682 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    wuntyate wrote:
    That looks really nice man. Love the colour.
    Cheers! I think after buying this I realised I'm a bit of a tart and like things that look quite nice. You wouldn't believe how long it took me to pick out that strap that looks completely nondescript. It's nice too though. The soft denim is reet nice.
  • monkman76 7 May 2020 20:45:56 18,564 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah thatís nice. Want one! What strap did you get? Iíve been thinking about getting a nicer one.
  • BillMurray 7 May 2020 20:56:36 9,682 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    Yeah thatís nice. Want one! What strap did you get? Iíve been thinking about getting a nicer one.

It's an Ernie Bell strap? I don't know much about brands but he's popping up everywhere. Think it was about 20 quid all in?
  • elstoof 7 May 2020 21:07:24 27,157 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Ernie Ball is a big string manufacturer, get yourself some super slinkyís in the pink packet and get your Hendrix on
  • BreadBinLidHero 7 May 2020 22:23:12 10,591 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That's a nice-looking guitar. Maple fingerboards always look better IMO.
  • Drakesmoke 14 Dec 2020 08:20:37 787 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So just prior to the end of the world as we know it, I had the pleasure of five minutes on a Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb in the demo booth of a local music shop. That thing has haunted me ever since. A Strat through that thing sounded genuinely better and more authentic than my tube amp, which after I left the band I was in I have zero use for (can't use that thing in the house).

I happened to spot that they've reduced in price by maybe a hundred quid and found myself on GAK at stupid o'clock last night. Curse you, PayPal credit. It's coming on Wednesday.

With the PP credit I have four months interest free. Going to try and flog my Hot Rod Deluxe (MK3) during that time period. That's maybe three or four years old and has seen its share of gigs. It also has a Thon flight case which from memory was getting on for about £150+ on its own.

What would anyone think would be a good compromise between trying to make a decent amount to pay off the new amp and being priced to sell for the two? I'm thinking of listing for £450 ish and being happy if I get around the £370-400 mark.
  • Deleted user 14 December 2020 13:03:57
    @Drakesmoke There's "gigged" and "gigged".

You're talking to someone who knows his stuff - tell me what shape I think it will be in.

Original valves? Original speaker? Have you tarted it up at all?
  • Drakesmoke 14 Dec 2020 16:58:03 787 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    EMarkM wrote:
    @Drakesmoke There's "gigged" and "gigged".

You're talking to someone who knows his stuff - tell me what shape I think it will be in.

Original valves? Original speaker? Have you tarted it up at all?
    Original speaker. I'd consider that broken in.

I've not serviced it or swapped valves out. I once had a Blues Jr that I ended up having a dead valve on but I think although they share characteristics, the Jr's are very vulnerable to it.

We played maybe six pub/bar gigs a year and maybe a similar amount of weddings. One to two hour's practice on it a week, not quiet but not at gig volume (drummer would use hotrods at rehearsal).

Very loud drummer, big band with horns usually in my ear and there was never a monitor for me, so it was played fairly loud, generally on 2.5 - 3 always on the clean channel, although in real volume terms, I always had a compressor on which boosted the volume a touch.

I've always been careful to warm it up and use standby in intermissions etc.

I'm not inclined to spend any money on re-valving it to be honest. Did that when I sold the BJR and it cost me a third of the sale. However I am interested in your thoughts on that.

Tolex is decent. Bottom left hand corner, the screw on the face of the frame is a bit loose and there is a bit of wiggle on the corner of the frame but no huge structural problems.
  • Deleted user 14 December 2020 17:07:25
    @Drakesmoke Brilliant. I see no problem in you chancing it at the top end of your thinking.

I have the Blues Jnr III here, amongst other things, and Iíve never got around to swapping the speaker out. That said, I love it how it is!

Thatís a really nice, versatile amp youíve got there, and I reckon someone will have it off you at a good price :)

Edit: Oh, and donít revalve it before sale, as long as it sounds alright. The used tone of them will probably sell it, and if the buyer fancies a different sound they will only swap them again anyway!

Edited by EMarkM at 17:10:32 14-12-2020

Edited by EMarkM at 17:50:45 14-12-2020
  • Drakesmoke 14 Dec 2020 17:38:06 787 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @EMarkM cheers for the advice. I was dreading you telling me to re-valve it to be honest!

Had a couple of squeaky bum moments at weddings with it thinking the tubes had gone. It was always the case that I'd plugged into and out of the wrong end of the pedal board thankfully. Adrenaline and dehydrated load ins up narrow staircases past p#ssed people can lead to that kind of confusion.

I did love the tube sound but them going was always a worry and they only ever sounded good at just the volume where the keyboard player f*cking hated me!

Looking forward to the faux attenuation on this Tone Master for that sort of reason. I've got the Waza Air phones for silent practice but amp wise at home I have a Mustang GT40 which sounds less than inspiring to be honest.

Edited by Drakesmoke at 17:38:27 14-12-2020

Edited by Drakesmoke at 17:38:45 14-12-2020
  • Deleted user 14 December 2020 17:53:02
    Yeah, itís always at the back of your mind with valves, isnít it? Just waiting for that sound of tinkling glass! :D

Youíll do well with your new setup. No comment on the Mustang!
  • Drakesmoke 17 Dec 2020 08:19:16 787 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So the Tone Master arrived yesterday.

Since receiving this yesterday I've had about ten minutes to play it.

The tone I've always dreamed of, right there at my fingers. This sounds quite a bit better than my Hot Rod Deluxe IMO, and with the faux attenuation you can get that tone at house volume too. It's built better than the HRD too, with a lovely solid pine cabinet. Weighs just over half as much.

Love the cover too, which I wasn't expecting. Fender logo is properly embroidered, it's not a print.

Need to rewire my pedal board this weekend so I can put some drives and stuff through it. Exciting times.
  • Deleted user 17 December 2020 12:00:05
    @Drakesmoke Brilliant: have a super time! :)
  • TechnoHippy 25 Mar 2021 18:10:51 19,011 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    This is the first guitar related thread I could find, so hopefully I can tap into the hive mind for some advice. I always wanted to learn to play and never gotten round to it, I'd like to finally change that. It's mostly metal/rock type stuff I'd like to play and I've seen starter sets for around £150. My question is are these good enough to start with, or am I best getting something better?

Also can anyone recommend good resources for training?
  • elstoof 25 Mar 2021 18:28:36 27,157 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Nothing much wrong with a cheap starter set, you wonít be able to tell the difference between a good and a bad guitar yet anyway. Justin guitar is well respected in terms of free YouTube lessons, Iíd say itís the best place to start off
  • elstoof 25 Mar 2021 18:29:55 27,157 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    this is pretty sweet for 200 quid

Edited by elstoof at 18:34:25 25-03-2021
  • monkman76 25 Mar 2021 18:35:09 18,564 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Justin Guitar is amazing yes, though I'd actually recommend signing up on his website justinguitar.com as the courses are all laid out in order and you can track your progress etc. All the important stuff is free too.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.