I bought a guitar is it rubbish? Page 26

Next Last
  • monkman76 29 Mar 2021 11:59:54 18,559 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    https://www.andertons.co.uk/fender-mustang-micro-personal-guitar-amplifier

It's not completely wireless unlike the Waza Air (you have a cable going from your guitar to your ears), and it doesn't have the 'amp-in-a-physical-space' trickery going on, but for 4x cheaper they seem pretty great - even though a basic pair of old iPhone in-ear phones. Loads of nice-sounding tones, really easy to use (no app needed). I'll be spending the summer strutting around the garden with this for sure.
    This is fantastic, can't believe how big it sounds even with cheapo earphones. Been wide-stancing it around the house like a rock god all weekend.
  • Dougs 29 Mar 2021 12:05:14 99,066 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @monkman76 I even amused myself with that.
  • TechnoHippy 29 Mar 2021 18:33:58 19,001 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Still on the first few lessons and no playing yet, but the guitar is now tuned - the app made that a doddle. I'd foolishly assumed it would come tuned, but it sounds much nicer now :-)
  • wuntyate 29 Mar 2021 19:10:38 16,956 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @TechnoHippy aaah no they wouldn't have shipped it tuned, too much tension on the strings in transit. You'll need to keep tuning it over the next few days til it settles as it will drift slightly.
  • TechnoHippy 29 Mar 2021 19:33:50 19,001 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Makes sense.
  • quadfather 30 Mar 2021 09:35:38 38,649 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Make sure to keep it in a room with no moisture, or put it in its bag after use. I keep learning that the hard way :)
  • elstoof 30 Mar 2021 10:07:44 27,143 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Birdseye tele neck just arrived from Warmoth, it very sexy
  • TechnoHippy 30 Mar 2021 12:28:15 19,001 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    What should I clean it with? Apparently I'm supposed to do so after use, but it doesn't say how.
  • monkman76 30 Mar 2021 12:31:50 18,559 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Nah sack that. Too much faff. Just wash your hands before you pick it up each time, and clean it every couple of months I'd say. I also wouldn't bother putting it in a bag every time either unless you live in a mildew infested hellhole. They say it should be close at hand so you can pick it up on a whim, then you'll play more and get better faster.
  • TechnoHippy 30 Mar 2021 12:38:07 19,001 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    It's currently on a stand by my desk for easy grabbage :-)
  • elstoof 30 Mar 2021 12:40:21 27,143 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    A quick wipe down with a jay cloth or tea towel if you got sweaty would suffice
  • quadfather 30 Mar 2021 12:46:23 38,649 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I only mention the bag because all my stuff is in a lower room which always has some levels of moisture. If it's dry, definitely keep it to hand to encourage playing!

Luckily, us bass players don't have to worry about string rust
  • fontgeeksogood 30 Mar 2021 12:46:46 12,913 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Simply take into the shower with you
  • TechnoHippy 2 Apr 2021 08:19:20 19,001 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Fingertips are a little slow and sore, but I almost manged the intro to Redemption Song last night - small progress, but still pleased :-)

Edited by TechnoHippy at 09:08:46 02-04-2021
  • elstoof 3 Apr 2021 14:39:51 27,143 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I bought my daughter a little 3/4 Squier Precision from Andertons, itís bloody great! Never really played a bass before but after messing about today I think I want one
  • monkman76 9 Apr 2021 07:11:51 18,559 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm back to looking at basses. Can't decide between this

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Squier-Classic-Vibe-60s-Precision-Bass-LRL-Olympic-White/2U5E

And this

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Squier-Classic-Vibe-60s-Jazz-Bass-LRL-Daphne-Blue/2U5H

Think I slightly prefer the look of the jazz bass, but might slightly prefer the tone of the precision, based on watching loads of videos. (They're both around £350 on other sites so ignore the price difference.)

Help!

When will music shops reopen? Maybe I should wait until then and try them in person. But that sounds too sensible.
  • TechnoHippy 9 Apr 2021 08:07:36 19,001 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I would have thought that music shops are starting to reopen.

On my own journey I've hit chords and my fat clumsy fingers are struggling - and transitions are sounding horrible.

On the plus side I can now do a simplified intro to Redemption Song from memory :-)
  • monkman76 9 Apr 2021 08:17:42 18,559 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Keep at those chord changes - it seems completely impossible at first (I remember I couldn't even make a C chord with the help of my non-fretting hand) but one day it'll click and it's so satisfying.
  • Drakesmoke 9 Apr 2021 08:32:51 786 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @monkman76

I'm not a bass player but I bought that exact CV Jazz with the intent of recording with it. Never did and sold it at a loss.

The Classic Vibe range isn't what it was to be honest, I think Fender took note of their rep as Mexican killers (never played one from that period so can't comment) and shifted production. I've read that quality wise they sit between the previous CV and the older Vintage Modified now.

The build and finish was decent enough. The fret board was Indian Laurel (this won't come with rosewood or Pau Ferro) which I found very dry and a bit grey.

Scratchy pots without a great taper. Obvs could upgrade that.

Tuners were a bit imprecise.

Set up was high out of the box.

Pickups sounded fair to good through a Fender Rumble. Not enough of a bass connoisseur to comment further than that.

Could be a decent mod platform if you chuck a load of oil in the fret board. But if I wanted a decent bass out of the box I'd keep saving or finance for a Mexican one, preferably a Vintera.
  • monkman76 9 Apr 2021 08:41:54 18,559 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Interesting, thanks. The videos online certainly do suggest you get a lot for your money with Classic Vibe, so it's good to get a counter opinion.

I'm not sure enough of wanting a bass to spend more than that though. Maybe I will wait until I can try one in a shop.
  • TechnoHippy 9 Apr 2021 09:03:05 19,001 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    Keep at those chord changes - it seems completely impossible at first (I remember I couldn't even make a C chord with the help of my non-fretting hand) but one day it'll click and it's so satisfying.
    Thanks - I try and do at least minutes practice and/or lessons a day depending on how the day's going - however I do also try and make time for just playing some simple tabs. I've just spotted a Shadows tab for Apache and as they were my guitar heroes before metal I'll give it a try.
  • elstoof 9 Apr 2021 09:28:07 27,143 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    I'm back to looking at basses. Can't decide between this

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Squier-Classic-Vibe-60s-Precision-Bass-LRL-Olympic-White/2U5E

And this

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Squier-Classic-Vibe-60s-Jazz-Bass-LRL-Daphne-Blue/2U5H

Think I slightly prefer the look of the jazz bass, but might slightly prefer the tone of the precision, based on watching loads of videos. (They're both around £350 on other sites so ignore the price difference.)

Help!

When will music shops reopen? Maybe I should wait until then and try them in person. But that sounds too sensible.
    You could always add a PJ bass to the list to help complicate things...

Necks on the Jazz are usually a bit narrower than a P which may be something you need to try playing to decide on. Think the J neck is 1 5/8 at the nut
  • Drakesmoke 9 Apr 2021 11:41:27 786 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    Interesting, thanks. The videos online certainly do suggest you get a lot for your money with Classic Vibe, so it's good to get a counter opinion.

I'm not sure enough of wanting a bass to spend more than that though. Maybe I will wait until I can try one in a shop.
    You'll possibly be fine if you aren't wanting it to 'be a bass player' then. The issues I've listed could be worked on over time or just do a bit of a setup and live with them. I wouldn't buy one to pro gig but if it's just to muck about or learn on it'd be fine...

To be fair I would say you got bang for buck with it, I just don't think it compared to a Mexican Fender.

I would look at maple board options in that range though. I really didn't like that fret board. I think pau ferro is a fine rosewood alternative but this Indian laurel stuff, unless I got a bad example, nah, didn't like it.
  • Next Last
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.