Next Last
  • elstoof 11 May 2021 12:57:39 27,431 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Iíve got a bass body and neck coming soon
  • quadfather 11 May 2021 13:00:17 38,797 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Nice! What shape is the body based on? And the neck?
  • elstoof 11 May 2021 13:15:57 27,431 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Itís a P bass, black korina/limba, rear routed. Got some ebony knobs to go on, standard P pickup from Aguilar, need to finish the body. Neck is wenge with an ebony fretboard, chosen a board with nice white streaks through it so that should look nice, can leave that unfinished but might take it through a few grades of sandpaper. Tele/original P headstock, all black hardware
  • monkman76 11 May 2021 13:16:47 18,730 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    WENGE
  • quadfather 11 May 2021 13:24:40 38,797 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @elstoof

Nice. I can't imagine how that's going to look but it sounds great! Is it pure black ebony with the streaks? Or the more wooden coloured version?
  • elstoof 11 May 2021 13:55:16 27,431 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Iím hoping itíll look something like this

The fretboard should be near black with some creamy streaks through it, I think the one I chose has them off to the treble side in a long swoopy curve but I canít remember exactly. It was the one I liked best though!
  • quadfather 11 May 2021 14:15:31 38,797 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oo yeah, that looks fucking lovely
  • wuntyate 11 May 2021 14:34:56 17,215 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'd love to put my own bass together. Elstoof, I'm a complete noob at this and excuse the obvious question, but are you getting the wood and cutting out the body yourself or do you essentially buy all the pieces pre-made and go from there?
  • elstoof 11 May 2021 14:47:02 27,431 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I get them made, thereís a few companies but Iíve been using Warmoth and Iíd recommend them. Theyíre licensed by Fender as well so they can make the correct headstocks, they make really good quality parts and you can customise pretty much anything to as high a standard as youíll ever get from an MIA Fender. Part of their license agreement is they have to periodically have their parts examined by fender to ensure theyíre of ďat least equal qualityĒ.
  • wuntyate 11 May 2021 16:02:42 17,215 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @elstoof Nice one, I've had a look at their site. I'm quite interested. A future project perhaps.
  • quadfather 11 May 2021 16:14:51 38,797 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Coz you need 8
  • elstoof 11 May 2021 16:18:12 27,431 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    It can be a fairly involved project, while you can theoretically just bolt it together and play thereís still some wiring to do along with as much set up as you want to get stuck into although any guitar tech would have a dream job setting the stuff up
  • Drakesmoke 12 May 2021 08:14:39 821 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Worth getting a full fret level of your taking it to a tech, levelling isnít particularly difficult either but you need a fair few specific tools to do it right
    Exactly, would rather make sure it was done properly, plus I ain't going to handle putting pickups in a 335 myself - it's a notoriously difficult job, so it'll all get done in one.

With regards setups, I'll have a go at truss, action, intonation etc but that's about it.

I am a bit funny about truss rods on set necks though. Have set up a few Fenders fairly successfully. But never as well as the tech.
  • Drakesmoke 12 May 2021 08:17:24 821 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    MacReadysChessWizard wrote:
    Drakesmoke wrote:
    Just picked up an Epi 'Inspired By Gibson' 335 in vintage sunburst.

Really nice, and came well set up out of the box, but the frets are gritty as hell, like they haven't been properly finished. I don't mess with frets so it's going in for a skim this weekend.

If you can get over that small issue I'd fully recommend them although they are hard to get hold of at the moment. I could only find a handful at one retailer and they were gone the day after, everywhere else was sold out.

Have got a Gotoh Nashville bridge coming this week along with some conversion posts so it'll not have the Epi flathead screws showing at the bridge and look more 'Gibson'. Am also having my tech sling some Seth Lover pickups in. Can't wait.
    Dude, don't ever be afraid to do stuff to your guitar - especially fret polishing; easiest and least likely to fuck up thing to do imho.

Get yourself a couple of fingerboard protector things and polish away (just don't use wire wool unless you wanna mask off all electrics).

I got this kit:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0134RO0DI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and never looked back. I use it on my £2k Les Paul with no worries or concerns.
    Just replied to Elstoof about the same thing sorry. You're braver than I. I've got a 2020 standard which I got about £500 off RRP on, and even with the discount I wouldn't do that myself. I do think that Gibsons are more likely to have better fret work to start with though, Epis I've had have commonly had frets that aren't all level to start with so it can be more than a polish and then you need crowning etc.
  • elstoof 12 May 2021 08:22:52 27,431 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    You can easily spend 300 quid or more on good quality tools for a full fret level and dress, then youíve got to learn how to use them. Only makes sense if you plan to do loads, or youíre just a weirdo who likes to do that kind of stuff (hi)
  • MacReadysChessWizard 12 May 2021 09:13:18 148 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Drakesmoke wrote:

Just replied to Elstoof about the same thing sorry. You're braver than I. I've got a 2020 standard which I got about £500 off RRP on, and even with the discount I wouldn't do that myself. I do think that Gibsons are more likely to have better fret work to start with though, Epis I've had have commonly had frets that aren't all level to start with so it can be more than a polish and then you need crowning etc.
    No worries - I've had to do more bits and bobs to the Gibson than all my others put together (Strat Elite, Mexican Tele, PRS SE). The truth is that I had to have a goldtop LP, but they're really very poor vfm compared to..well..pretty much everything, especially the Fenders. Yesterday I was busily re-gluing an inlay in on the LP, only to find out that the actual inlay is thicker on one side so I had to sit there, rubbing away with the sandpaper. It looks perfect, but I can still feel a slight bump in one side of the inlay..poor QC.
  • Drakesmoke 12 May 2021 10:53:37 821 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @MacReadysChessWizard

Mine has a badly cut nut and the back is orange peel in spots. It was pre-owned but bought from retail, so could be buckle rash...but could be too thick a lacquer which hasn't cured properly, or a combo of above.

The nut is perfectly functional but is cosmetically a mess.

So yeah I know Gibbos can have problems! They pale to insignificance to some Epis though, you can absolutely see where that company saves the money, and it's usually the fret work.

Agree on Fender. Have three high end Mex (Classic Players and a Vintera) and an Am. Special. All banging out of the box, obviously you might adjust actions to taste but the QC is a lot higher, which isn't right really right for a supposedly more production line guitar!
  • MacReadysChessWizard 12 May 2021 11:04:47 148 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    @Drakesmoke

Agree strongly; the nut on mine isn't exactly a work of fucking art, either.

But..still a magical, totemic instrument, and when I had the Epi version of one years ago, I always felt that I was settling for 2nd best, however, with the new versions having a nearly-Gibbo headstock I might be tempted again.

Oh yeah, just remembered that I also had a Gibbo SG that I returned as the quality on that one was complete arse too.

Edited by MacReadysChessWizard at 11:06:30 12-05-2021
  • Drakesmoke 12 May 2021 11:24:04 821 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah. Tonally it's amazing and the top is a beaut on mine, so I just let the orange peel slide. Nobody sees it.

Mine's a bourbon, quite purpley in some lights, and has a slightly mismatched top. Subtle flame on the right but the left has a few small stripes up top and then diminishes to almost a plain top. I reckon a lot of people who want 'look at the flame on that' might not like it but it has a character (and I'd like a full on plain top anyway). I do like that Gibson bursts all have a bit of individuality. You don't get that with Epi, which I'm convinced are often photo flame.

Nothing like that waft of vanilla as you open the case of a nitro finished instrument either amirite
  • MacReadysChessWizard 12 May 2021 11:55:07 148 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Drakesmoke wrote:

Nothing like that waft of vanilla as you open the case of a nitro finished instrument either amirite
    I still go into the loft now and then to get a hit off the case it came in..that's just about the finest smell in the world...'cept maybe for pussy.

/80's
  • quadfather 12 May 2021 12:08:09 38,797 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I have a hard case for one of my fenders that I have to tear myself away from. It reeks of beauty :)
  • elstoof 31 May 2021 13:21:18 27,431 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Tossing up between a les Paul standard and a PRS..
  • convercide 31 May 2021 13:25:48 6,469 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Tossing up between a les Paul standard and a PRS..
    Which one are you going to finish on? Just make sure to wipe the strings clean as spunk hampers the tone.
  • Pipedream 31 May 2021 13:35:37 645 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Do Les Paul's still having tuning issues due to the headstock?

I'd personally go for a PRS.
  • monkman76 31 May 2021 13:45:19 18,730 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Those birds though, ugh.
  • Cappy 31 May 2021 15:04:26 14,309 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Pipedream wrote:
    Do Les Paul's still having tuning issues due to the headstock?

I'd personally go for a PRS.
    The Gibson break angle shouldn't specifically cause tuning issues. The nut is often the source of issues of this sort, it may require some graphite lubrication to ensure the strings move smoothly.

I've used a vintage guitar with absolute garbage tuners by modern standards which I just didn't have to heart to change because it would ruin a vintage instrument swapping out original parts that were quite distinct from modern equivalents. You can get by if you ensure the nut isn't impeding movement of the strings.

One other thing I've seen people do is think they can swap out strings for different gauges, a lot of the Gibson guitars and their Epiphone equivalents are really not happy with string gauges lower than 11, you might get away with lower but you'd need to put in some work or seek professional help.

If the guitar has a Bigsby swapping out for anything below 11s is generally a really bad idea when it comes to tuning atability.
  • elstoof 31 May 2021 16:55:08 27,431 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    Those birds though, ugh.
    I kind of like the birds. The brush stroke ones on the Paulís Guitar are nice. Thatís the only one I really dig, not interested in trems so Custom doesnít appeal really
  • Drakesmoke 11 Jun 2021 08:17:00 821 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So I've not had nearly enough time to play the thing but after a (too long) wait with the guitar tech the new Epi 335 came back spectacular.

My partner thought I was mad for spending the amount of money on pickups I did (and probably couldn't hear the difference) but the Seth Lovers are undoubtedly the best sounding pickup I've ever played. Fully recommend them in a semi hollow application.

This got me to thinking about my existing 335, also an Epi, a 335 Pro. That also needed a load of fretwork doing and had other upgrades like a Tusq nut and a nicer scratchplate and bracket (this stuff is now standard on the newer ones).

My thinking was, with such a large guitar, do I need two? So I've ended up selling it...and funding the order of an Epi Firebird, which arrives today.

There seems to be a distinct shortage of the official hardcase so have had to order that from another supplier (DV247). Despite being based in Romford they appear to be sending the case from the EU, so hope I don't get any of the post-Brexit import charges. Also a bit bugged that by the looks of things it's going to have to live in a cardboard box for a few days whilst I wait for that to arrive.

Edited by Drakesmoke at 08:17:17 11-06-2021
  • Next Last
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.