I bought a guitar is it rubbish? Page 4

• Fourwisemen 14 Feb 2016 09:49:05 813 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @ClemFandango

Nice selection. That White Penguin looks ace.

The guitar teacher I used to use had a White Strat which I never really liked the look of, then I played it... I have to say it changed my opinion and appreciation immediately and would quite happily have one in my collection now. I've not played many electrics but I've a feeling I could play some thing more suited to me than the PRS. I does sounds bit sludgy, but I think it's meant too (in fairness, I was totally I experienced when I bought it and really did buy it because it was black and I liked the look of it).

I've only owned the three guitars I still have and the GS Mini is by far and away the favourite. I've a few mates who play a bit and everyone who picks it up and plays about with it just smiles. I couldn't recommend one enough and to the point I've considered getting a limited edition one, I kind of like the Koa models.

My lad has really been into Schecters, not really my bag but I picked him up a C1 Classic in a sunburst, maybe tobacco, a few years ago and he loves the thing. Shame he's a lefty, I can't have a go of it.
  • mothercruncher 14 Feb 2016 10:53:21 16,266 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Schecters are really nice guitars for the money, thick necks though. Don't think I can ever do a Strat- too "Clapton-y".
  • DrStrangelove 14 Feb 2016 23:53:30 14,247 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Karl_B wrote:
    Never blame the tools. Only you can be fucking rubbish, not the objects around you. Given the chance you can make them great.

mark Zuckerberg without a keyboard was shit too.

With? Not so much.
    What are you talking about? Of course your tools can be rubbish. A screwdriver can be bent after one hour, screws can break when you tighten them ever so slightly. A guitar cqn have awful fretwork resulting in buzz and dead notes, the neck might be installed at a bad angle so you'll never be able to set it up properly, the pickups may be mushy crap without a trace of definition. A vibrato system may detune the guitar after one single use.

Will guitar pros get a few good sounds out of them? Yes. Will everyone, beginner to pro, be frustrated? Yes. There are beginners who are (yet) rubbish with a top end PRS but there are also many people who'll be frustrated because they can't get anything useful out of a guitar, and they may not know it's the guitar or the amp that's the main culprit.
  • Deleted user 15 February 2016 02:02:18
    Cheers to Karl B for the bullshit post of the day. Gonna tell a colleague that the reason he can't see shit under that particular microscope is because he's shit, not because it doesn't work.

Any of ye slags have an Ovation? Lovely things.
  • brigadier 15 Feb 2016 06:24:10 1,036 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    FuzzyDuck wrote:
    Cheers to Karl B for the bullshit post of the day. Gonna tell a colleague that the reason he can't see shit under that particular microscope is because he's shit, not because it doesn't work.

Any of ye slags have an Ovation? Lovely things.
    No, but my missus usually gets it once a month.
  • Deleted user 16 February 2016 09:36:47
    This is how I picture Mark Zuckerberg now.

• Deleted user 13 March 2016 19:18:49
    One of my friends brought round a guitar he bought for his boy (a beginner), so I could set it up today.

It's astonishing. Cost 150. Harley Benton (bought from Germany). Looking at their website they've got lots of different, uhh, 'inspired by' models. I've just ordered a couple, if they're anything like the LP Custom copy he bought his kid...

It sounds almost identical to my Gibbo I spent loads on last month :(
  • Cappy 13 Mar 2016 19:27:18 14,087 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    They'll have had to cut the corners somewhere to stay in business, 150 doesn't pay for decent materials.

I'd keep lighter strings on it because who knows what the neck is going to be doing in a few years.
  • Deleted user 13 March 2016 19:31:18
    It's a mahogany neck and body....three piece, but astonishing. Was set up pretty good from the factory too, oiled the fretboard and restrung it and it was pretty much ready, action nice and low
  • elstoof 13 Mar 2016 19:32:04 23,415 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Looks like they cut the middleman out to save the money - Squire could knock them out for the same wedge if they didn't sell on the high street.
  • Deleted user 13 March 2016 19:38:47
    Yeah, it's (obviously) made in China, but the craftsmanship isn't as fucking far off my USA made guitar as I'd like it to be
  • Cappy 13 Mar 2016 19:48:44 14,087 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Looking at the website, they also sell the same guitars for 80 in kit form and seeing the bare wood the LP copy seems pretty decent.

Chinese guitars tend to hide all sorts of sins under a nice finish.
  • Deleted user 13 March 2016 19:57:20
    I've ordered a kit, too. I've made one before a couple times from a kit and always had to go see my friend who has a proper woodworking shop to sort them out. Be interesting to contrast!
  • Fourwisemen 13 Mar 2016 20:10:00 813 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My boy has been looking to do a custom setup so will check these out. Good shout PES
  • elstoof 13 Mar 2016 20:11:06 23,415 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I haven't picked up a guitar in about 10 years and even I'm tempted by one of those tele kits
  • Fourwisemen 13 Mar 2016 20:12:44 813 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Cappy

What's the web address. Just googled them but just getting shops and ad words..
  • Deleted user 13 March 2016 20:14:01
    @Fourwisemen

https://m.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_electric_guitars.html
  • Cappy 13 Mar 2016 20:29:53 14,087 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    They've even got a Gretsch/Epiphone Emperor/Swingster inpired model.

Roller bridge as standard, not bad at all.
  • Deleted user 13 March 2016 20:42:02
    I looked at that one cos I'm a huge Gretsch fan but I dunno, trems on low-end guitars sound like recipes for retuning every time
  • Fourwisemen 13 Mar 2016 21:20:38 813 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @PES_Fanboy

Thanks PES. The boy is a lefty so they didn't have any kits to build from scratch but the shape he fancied was cheap enough to buy and use as a project guitar. Bought..!!

It was his 16th on Friday (yeah, I know I don't look old enough) and being the fine chap he is I reckon an additional treat isn't out of bounds.
  • Deleted user 13 March 2016 21:27:41
    Lefty flip it!
  • DrStrangelove 14 Mar 2016 00:00:20 14,247 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    PES_Fanboy wrote:
    I looked at that one cos I'm a huge Gretsch fan but I dunno, trems on low-end guitars sound like recipes for retuning every time
    I've played one of those 100 quid Jacksons with a trem and recommend to stay far away from it. Even many expensive guitars have trems that quickly detune the guitar. Actually the only trem I've ever tried that stayed in tune was the original FR. Be careful even with mid-price trems, and avoid cheap ones like hell.

These days, very cheap guitars can be surprisingly useable. But only fixed bridge models.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 00:07:40 14-03-2016
  • mothercruncher 14 Mar 2016 09:51:58 16,266 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Sound advice- the quality of the metals begins to show at the cheaper end on high wear parts.

But even if you bought one and replaced a bridge, or got some locking tuners in the future they're a good deal.

I don't think many like to admit it, owners and manufacturers, but the margins of "tone" are extremely thin these days with such good copies about. When you strap a pickup onto a piece of wood a large proportion of its natural sound disappears under the amplification.

Acoustics however are where you more easily notice the extra money you spend.
  • DrStrangelove 14 Mar 2016 12:35:06 14,247 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    mothercruncher wrote:

I don't think many like to admit it, owners and manufacturers, but the margins of "tone" are extremely thin these days with such good copies about. When you strap a pickup onto a piece of wood a large proportion of its natural sound disappears under the amplification.
    Only partially. A Gibson SG and a Les Paul sound very different even with the same pickups, for example. Bad quality woods and poor build may have a bad impact on tone. Cheap guitars also tend to have poor sustain.

But I think that's not the greatest problem. Where it matters most is build accuracy, I believe. Fretwork for example needs to be very precise, or else you'll quickly have rattling or dead notes, or perhaps even worse, out of tune ones. Cheap tuners need constant retuning, and bad nut or bridge can also cause problems.

These days, a 100 quid guitar can be a fair enough beginner's instrument. But I wouldn't buy one to tune it with better parts. Proper hardware and pickups cost a few 100s, and on such a cheap instrument that's a waste of money. Especially if the neck/fretwork is bad, then it's just wasted money.

For such purposes, I'd always choose something decent in the 200-300 price range, e.g. Epi or Ibanez.
  • Deleted user 14 March 2016 13:44:14
    The bits which make the difference to tone IMO aren't really down to woods - and that's one of the reasons the Harley Benton was so good - the saddles, bridge and (graphite!) nut were all much better quality than you'd expect at the price point. Wilko pups, too!

Obviously mahogany body and maple veneers are incredible at this price point, but that's largely just pretty stuff.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.