Following Any Daft Punk fans here? Page 26

• craigy Staff 7 Jan 2016 13:40:30 9,475 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Touch from Random Access Memories is the absolute best track they've done. It's about the enlightenment/emotional awakening of a robot! How can anything be better than that?
  • Not-a-reviewer 7 Jan 2016 13:41:39 7,304 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's not hipster, it's outright mainstream.
  • Deleted user 7 January 2016 13:45:42
    I reckon RAM will get better with age. I've not listened to it in a while, but yeah, some great tunes on there. Not as good as Human After All.
  • craigy Staff 7 Jan 2016 13:49:15 9,475 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    There's loads of things to like about RAM. Giorgio By Moroder is another favourite because it's a big "deal with it" to people that are limited in their thought about what a Daft Punk track/album should be.

"Once you free your mind about a concept of harmony and music being 'correct', you can do whatever you want."
  • You-can-call-me-kal 7 Jan 2016 14:03:23 22,915 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    FWIW I'm being ironic about them ripping off Electro Disco. Obviously they know what they're doing. They did a track with Giorgio FFS!
  • drhickman1983 7 Jan 2016 14:10:50 7,511 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I still like RAM more than their other albums. It's not one of my favorite albums ever or anything, but enjoyable.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 7 Jan 2016 14:23:46 22,915 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Homework is my fav. The problem with Discovery for me is that all the good tracks have been utterly rinsed by adverts and tv shows, so I can't actually hear the music anymore. RAM is pretty good although I usually get bored by the time Pharrell turns up.
  • Decks 7 Jan 2016 14:31:59 29,706 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Discovery is far and away there best studio album, but as you say its pretty much impossible to listen to now. I liked RAM at first but looking back its a pretty weak album.

THIS is the best thing they've ever done though, and one of my favourite albums evar
  • Deleted user 7 January 2016 14:35:34
    It's the best live DJ set I've ever heard. I used to do a bit of DJing a few years ago and some parts in the set I can't believe are done live. Great record!
  • DaftFunker 7 Jan 2016 14:50:44 59 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Love Daft Punk and their brand of ever evolving electronic music. I agree that Discovery is their best studio album, but the truly great thing about Discovery is that it gave way for the sublime Interstellar 5555: The 5tory of the 5ecret 5tar 5ystem.

The first time I showed the film to my 5 year old daughter, she laughed, cried and when it finished, started it all over again immediately. I had to buy her her own copy for fear of wearing mine out.

I look forward to the next output, but it does seem that the masks are starting to come off, and what effect that will have on them, only time will tell.
  • Futaba 7 Jan 2016 14:59:26 3,636 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    DaftFunker wrote:
    Love Daft Punk and their brand of ever evolving electronic music. I agree that Discovery is their best studio album, but the truly great thing about Discovery is that it gave way for the sublime Interstellar 5555: The 5tory of the 5ecret 5tar 5ystem.

The first time I showed the film to my 5 year old daughter, she laughed, cried and when it finished, started it all over again immediately. I had to buy her her own copy for fear of wearing mine out.
    This, I've watched it around 20 times at least, anyone who likes Discovery should watch it.
  • boo 7 Jan 2016 16:44:23 13,791 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    Just been listening to Giorgio Moroder - Best of Electronic Disco.

Really is essential listening for Daft Punk fans.
    Just bought this! 'tis excellent!
    Good recommendation, that man!
  • YenRug 10 Jan 2016 01:00:51 4,553 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The problem with RAM: the first two tracks are so bland and do absolutely nothing, it would have been filler anywhere else, but by putting them at the start it really does the album a disservice and put me off it for a long time. When I play it now, I skip those two tracks straight away.
  • Deleted user 10 January 2016 09:25:12
    RoyBatty wrote:
    THIS is the best thing they've ever done though, and one of my favourite albums evar
    Yeah, I saw that live (Marlay Park). Despite being note for note identical to their Coachella set (and every other set they played that summer) it still absolutely blew me away...
  • Fake_Blood 10 Jan 2016 11:17:17 10,893 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That's the thing though, ram could be totally awesome when seen live if they give it the 'alive' treatment.
  • Deleted user 10 January 2016 18:12:29
    They had three albums to cherry pick from for Alive 2007, the pickings are a bit slimmer if they've only got RAM to use.

I can't really picture any track on that album having the same kind of impact as Da Funk did on the day... The whole place singing along to a track with no lyrics was probably one of my favourite moments from any gig ever :D
  • Decks 10 Jan 2016 18:44:54 29,706 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Thanks for the Interstella 5555 recommendation, my 11 month old has been entranced with it today.

Edited by RoyBatty at 18:45:29 10-01-2016
  • Ruckly 21 Feb 2016 11:57:39 1,066 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Daft Punk Documentary

Lacking the men themselves but a very interesting documentary if you're a fan.
  • anephric 21 Feb 2016 12:05:20 4,980 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah, I watched it and it was really good. I like that it contextualised all their influences for RAM. It helps that I love all the things Daft Punk love, like Moroder, Paul Williams etc. Having the Phantom of the Paradise clip in there was cool when they were interviewing Williams.

They really should've been nominated for an Oscar for their Tron Legacy soundtrack.
  • Ruckly 21 Feb 2016 12:10:59 1,066 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm only a plastic fan, had no idea that they'd done the Tron soundtrack. Was a great documentary though, I liked the phoenix-like rise from the ashes when they destroyed Coachella.

Interesting to see Skrillex there talking about how much they had an effect on him - looking at how big he his makes you realise what a big influence they've had on the American music scene.
  • Vortex808 21 Feb 2016 14:21:57 15,110 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It did indeed.

Nice doc.
  • Deleted user 24 February 2016 22:27:30
    @Acidizer
    Did you go to any of the Alive 2006/2007 dates?... Marlay Park was fucking amazing, and that place only has a capacity of 32,000... Being one of 40,000 people crammed into a much tighter space hearing it for the very first time must've been pretty mindblowing!

It's easy to watch something like Glastonbury on TV and say, "Meh! looks OK I guess...", but the experience is totally different if you're actually there.

Kanye west can fuck right off, though!
  • HarryB 24 Feb 2016 23:46:35 7,630 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Watched documentary on iPlayer, very good watch. Agree with all who say RAM sucks. Tron soundtrack is amazing though, and the old stuff is unreal.
  • Deleted user 25 February 2016 09:48:45
    I really like RAM, but then again I really liked Human After All. I like how original they are with each release. None of their albums are 10/10 and have a fair amount of duds on them, even Discovery (Too Long anyone?). I don't mind Pharell that much, the Daft Club remixes with The Neptunes were good and he has a history with them. Plus Get Lucky is great, even if it was overplayed.

The doc is decent enough, didn't really tell me anything new but it was good to hear from various talking heads who had worked with them over the years.
  • Deleted user 25 February 2016 10:09:25
    SirBobbyGandalf wrote:
    The doc is decent enough, didn't really tell me anything new but it was good to hear from various talking heads who had worked with them over the years.
    ... and for some reason Skrillex...

He can fuck off along with Kanye
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.