Random rants that don't warrant their own threads Page 480

• wuntyphyve 12 Sep 2019 16:32:47 12,798 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Three wanks, three poos. Each poo gets a little white jacket before the waterslide.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 12 Sep 2019 16:33:00 21,091 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    That was aimed at wunty but it works here too.
  • wuntyphyve 12 Sep 2019 16:34:09 12,798 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah it is but I don't have to look at it ergo it's not my problem.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 12 Sep 2019 18:13:45 6,533 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    What a charming page-starter post to open the thread to...
  • KnuttinAtoll 12 Sep 2019 18:43:55 7,438 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    I've never understood multi pooers. 1 a day is more than enough pooing.
    Exactly, if I take a dump more than once a day I start to wonder if something's wrong.
  • Psiloc 17 Sep 2019 10:29:00 5,197 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    What is it with London businesses and conference calls?

Every one of our other 200 or so clients will simply pick up the fucking phone when they have a question or raise a ticket. We usually get them sorted within a few minutes.

Clients inside the M25 though, I get invited to a video conference with 10 people for two weeks on Wednesday. Often the person who reported the issue isn't even there, it's project managers who can't answer any of my follow up questions.

"Bob, who sends his apologies, reported at 1:35 PM on the 1st that the software isn't working as he expected. Can we discuss our action points please?"

"What's the problem he's having?"

"Bob didn't give us that information. Let's make that our first action point: we're to find out from Bob what the problem is for our follow up meeting next month."

Here's a fucking idea: get Bob to ring me.
  • askew 17 Sep 2019 10:39:08 19,962 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Heh. I believe they call it 'cover your arse' syndrome.
  • Mr_Sleep 17 Sep 2019 18:17:28 22,834 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    People really should use the phone more. We frequently start writing email responses and then ring the people instead. The constant bouncing around of support tickets, emails and texts seems counter-efficient at times.
  • JoeBlade 17 Sep 2019 18:25:42 4,498 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    People really should use the phone more. We frequently start writing email responses and then ring the people instead. The constant bouncing around of support tickets, emails and texts seems counter-efficient at times.
    I particularly like (as in: totally despise) how people create a support ticket, then proceed to send you an e-mail referring to the ticket, then finally call you on the phone if you don't respond to either of the former within 5 minutes.
  • Your-Mother 18 Sep 2019 20:40:23 2,996 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    JoeBlade wrote:
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    I particularly like (as in: totally despise) how people create a support ticket, then proceed to send you an e-mail referring to the ticket, then finally call you on the phone if you don't respond to either of the former within 5 minutes.
    Microsoft corporate support gives you options of how you want to be contacted. Every time I choose email, every time their first email is “when do you have time for a call?”

Makes me wonder why they bother to give the option.
  • JoeBlade 18 Sep 2019 21:08:25 4,498 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Your-Mother wrote:
    Microsoft corporate support gives you options of how you want to be contacted. Every time I choose email, every time their first email is “when do you have time for a call?”

Ha, too right! I've had that every single fucking time I've requested Azure support.

The worst part is I deliberately asked for e-mail each time because half of the engineers who called me seemed to be doing so from the middle of an overcrowded shopping centre, making those calls very long and tedious indeed.
    There's only so many times I can say 'beg your pardon?' or 'could you please repeat that?' before I feel like hurling the phone against the wall.
  • Graxlar_v3 19 Sep 2019 06:24:35 7,937 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Your-Mother wrote:
    JoeBlade wrote:
    Mr_Sleep wrote:

They should cut out the middle man and when you select email there should be s pop up that asks ‘what time did you want your call?’
  • THFourteen 19 Sep 2019 07:08:47 53,012 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Psiloc

Sounds like our project manager. She passes on literally every question that's below the highest level to me. Gotten to the point now where I don't even bother to wait for her to pass questions on to me during calls I just answer them anyway to save time.

Edited by THFourteen at 07:08:54 19-09-2019
  • nickthegun 19 Sep 2019 08:37:34 78,773 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    JoeBlade wrote:
    Your-Mother wrote:

Ha, too right! I've had that every single fucking time I've requested Azure support.

The worst part is I deliberately asked for e-mail each time because half of the engineers who called me seemed to be doing so from the middle of an overcrowded shopping centre, making those calls very long and tedious indeed.
    There's only so many times I can say 'beg your pardon?' or 'could you please repeat that?' before I feel like hurling the phone against the wall.
    1000% this. I always select email contact for a reason, not for that email to be 'when can we set up a WebEx?'.

It drives me fucking crazy.
  • Juz 19 Sep 2019 11:30:49 3,345 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Think I'm about to witness further lunacy of someone woefully ill-equipped being over-promoted.

It's a tale as old as time.
  • JamboWayOh 19 Sep 2019 11:33:18 15,074 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Juz wrote:
    Think I'm about to witness further lunacy of someone woefully ill-equipped being over-promoted.

That was a common occurrence during my time in the civil service. Probably explains a lot.
  • anephric 19 Sep 2019 14:00:28 3,426 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It happens in the civil service to promote someone out of the way, ie failing upwards, because they haven't got the gumption to fire people above a certain grade if they're making a mess of something.

Even when someone was pretty much refusing to work (on a senior civil service grade) it took the bit of the public sector I used to work in two years to drag him through disciplinary and fire him. And then he went through tribunal as well. Years of fucking about whilst still being paid £80k+.

Where I am now (which didn't used to be full-fat public sector but now is, even if they don't like to admit it to themselves) there are people on huge salaries who just disappear for days on end, not even responding to area directors, who get away with it. Or constantly go on long term sick, come back for the minimum to reset it, then off again.

I wish I had the wherewithal to get away with fuckbaggery like that.
  • Dougs 19 Sep 2019 15:52:50 90,576 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The trouble is, these days there is no way to stop anyone being promoted. Being "fitted" for a promotion board doesn't exist and you no longer have to share reports. If you can blag your way to an interview and interview well, you're golden
  • JamboWayOh 19 Sep 2019 15:58:24 15,074 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    True sometimes it's about having a face or personality that 'fits'.
  • adamasunder12 19 Sep 2019 16:01:04 926 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    It's bloody annoying getting a notification from the front page, someone replying in an article comments only for the link to take you to the article. Not even to the comments section which I then have to trawl.

Why hasn't this been fixed? Or have I missed something as usual?

Edited by adamasunder12 at 16:01:49 19-09-2019
  • Your-Mother 19 Sep 2019 16:15:42 2,996 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Maybe it’s a deliberate ploy to stop you from posting in every thread every five seconds.
  • adamasunder12 19 Sep 2019 16:22:49 926 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Tough crowd
  • challenge_hanukkah 19 Sep 2019 16:34:42 11,291 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    anephric wrote:
    It happens in the civil service to promote someone out of the way, ie failing upwards, because they haven't got the gumption to fire people above a certain grade if they're making a mess of something.

Even when someone was pretty much refusing to work (on a senior civil service grade) it took the bit of the public sector I used to work in two years to drag him through disciplinary and fire him. And then he went through tribunal as well. Years of fucking about whilst still being paid £80k+.

Where I am now (which didn't used to be full-fat public sector but now is, even if they don't like to admit it to themselves) there are people on huge salaries who just disappear for days on end, not even responding to area directors, who get away with it. Or constantly go on long term sick, come back for the minimum to reset it, then off again.

I wish I had the wherewithal to get away with fuckbaggery like that.
    They don't even like to sack lowly band E's. They really can't be arsed.
  • anephric 19 Sep 2019 16:45:38 3,426 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    What's a band E? Is that NHS? Same as an A/AO?
  • challenge_hanukkah 19 Sep 2019 18:08:28 11,291 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It's the same as AO I think.
  • JamboWayOh 19 Sep 2019 19:39:09 15,074 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Are AAs not a thing in the civil service?
  • KRadiation 1 Oct 2019 08:49:02 1,472 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oh dear... so about a month ago now I had an issue with another manager. it's on the last page.
    Due to the trains and someone jumping off a bridge and all that.

Well I've had to return to that store this week to cover due to illness... and...

It's only gone and happened again today (though not at MY station, the next one ahead) and I've had to once again phone the same person and ask if she can come to work earlier !!

fucks sake awkward.
  • challenge_hanukkah 1 Oct 2019 08:53:26 11,291 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    When I eventually kill myself I won't be throwing myself in front of a bus or a train or anything like that. There are far more dignified and less annoying methods.
  • Juz 1 Oct 2019 09:05:11 3,345 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    Juz wrote:

That was a common occurrence during my time in the civil service. Probably explains a lot.
    If this was the civil service, then it'd be expected, but this is a smallish, privately owned company.

What's worse is that this dumbo has already had two bites of the cherry of promotion and she fucked both up spectacularly. She loves the titles, but never ever had the balls to do the shitty parts of the job...but the owner thinks she's the bees-knees; he has a long history of investing his trust in people who, ultimately have fucked the company.
  • Psiloc 1 Oct 2019 09:52:56 5,197 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    @Psiloc

Sounds like our project manager. She passes on literally every question that's below the highest level to me. Gotten to the point now where I don't even bother to wait for her to pass questions on to me during calls I just answer them anyway to save time.
    What is even the point of project managers. Had another meeting last week with a few people I actually needed to talk to and their project manager. The meeting was legitimately 50% useful, 50% trying to get the project manager up to speed and answering her asinine questions.

This is the same project manager that came on board at the implementation stage of the project, which usually takes two days, and has managed to fanny around for a full year and counting.

It's really one of those jobs that sounds good on paper but in practise just don't fucking do anything except insert themselves in between people who could otherwise be having a constructive conversation.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.