Random rants that don't warrant their own threads Page 503

Next Last
  • Tomo 6 Jun 2021 13:56:26 19,371 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Parents.

First time back seeing them for ages. My mum (70s) got herself a 2-year old Volvo last year. Comes with a tablet screen inside. She also got herself an iPhone 12 Pro Max l33t ePeen a week ago, to coincide with me seeing them so I can "set it up" for her. You can hear the alarm bells already...

Today, I'm out for a morning walk with my dad on the beach, miles away from his car when we get a panicked call from her saying she can't unlock the Volvo. See, my folks live in the middle of fucking nowhere and there is barely any phone signal out here, so of course the phone can't communicate with the car so she can't unlock it. And, for some reason the lock/unlock key fob is also not working... Nnnrghhh. So, she wanders around fiddling with the Volvo app, desperate for a bar or two of signal, until somehow she manages to unlock the car boot?! For some reason, this then enables her to unlock the car doors when she's back at the car an hour later.

She's already turned off the lane control because she doesn't like it. She doesn't understand the concepts of WiFi and mobile internet. She was annoyed that she didn't know how to set the radio to automatically play Radio 4. She also said that her new iPhone was "basically the same as her last one then"... an iPhone 7.

So many mostly pointless shiny features she has absolutely no idea how to use. Then she spent the rest of the morning saying she has a headache and claims her blood pressure has shot through the roof.

Nnnrghhh.
  • Mola_Ram 9 Jun 2021 00:00:00 25,895 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I was listening to an American political podcast, and they were talking about how they're using ranked choice voting for the upcoming New York mayor election. And one of them said

"Oh, I don't know about this, should we really be making elections more complicated?"

IT'S NOT THAT FUCKING COMPLICATED, YOU JUST ORDER THE CANDIDATES ACCORDING TO HOW MUCH YOU LIKE THEM, OR JUST DO IT RANDOMLY IF YOU DON'T KNOW OR CARE. YOU. FUCKING. IMBECILE.

Though maybe putting more than one number on a thing is too complicated for Americans.
  • Your-Mother 9 Jun 2021 00:20:03 7,655 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It’s probably more a reference to the fact that state and city ballots tend to be absolutely overloaded with people as you’re rarely just voting for a single candidate, you’re voting for mayor, and for sheriff, and for treasurer, and for prosecutors, for school boards, for municipal staff, even down to the coroners. And then it also has the initiatives and ballot measures etc etc.
  • Mola_Ram 9 Jun 2021 00:23:29 25,895 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ok, but you're still voting for all of that if you're just having to pick one person.

And for the people who don't want to rank 5 people, they don't have to! You can still just put one number in, there's just the opportunity to express yourself more if you wanted to.
  • Your-Mother 9 Jun 2021 00:27:18 7,655 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Also NY has (or had) some incredibly stringent voting regulations anyway, down to the specific stroke you use with a specific pen in the right section of the line next to the arrow of the box. Then there’s the nightmare of calculating the votes, which NY has traditionally been the absolute worst at. The state primary last year took weeks because they completely fucked up the rejection rates.
  • Your-Mother 9 Jun 2021 00:29:11 7,655 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The long story short - yes, worrying that ranked voting in NYC adds extra complexity is absolutely valid if you understand the voting problem there and has nothing to do with “hurr cross the box dumb yanks”
  • Mola_Ram 9 Jun 2021 00:33:45 25,895 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sorry, I didn't realise this was the "random well-considered, nuanced argument" thread.

(the dig at Americans was in jest, they're fine)
  • Mola_Ram 9 Jun 2021 00:33:45 25,895 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sorry, I didn't realise this was the "random well-considered, nuanced argument" thread.

(the dig at Americans was in jest, they're fine)
  • Mola_Ram 9 Jun 2021 00:38:52 25,895 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Anyway, their argument was specifically about the voting method, so I don't really know what all the other stuff you mentioned has to do with optional numbering of boxes from 1 to 5.
  • Your-Mother 9 Jun 2021 00:54:01 7,655 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    All good. NYC politics is just weirdly complicated for loads of contextual reasons. One other reason ranked voting is a little odd there is how tribal NY voting is. Even within the party ranks there’s vicious infighting over candidates, even more so than the rest of the nation. It would fit as a mature developed system but it’s an odd state to trial it in. Though at least it’s NY rather than somewhere like Florida, where they really don’t understand how to put a cross in a box.
  • LegendaryApe 9 Jun 2021 06:19:28 2,454 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Your-Mother

In other states they put the cross in their garden and burn it
  • RyanDS 9 Jun 2021 10:47:43 14,008 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Your-Mother wrote:
    The long story short - yes, worrying that ranked voting in NYC adds extra complexity is absolutely valid if you understand the voting problem there and has nothing to do with “hurr cross the box dumb yanks”
    So it is more dumb yanks can't decide on a sensible system as opposed to dumb yanks can't use the stupid system they designed?
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 10 Jun 2021 13:00:01 18,203 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Looks like the word is that my team at work is being downsized by from 5 to 4 at the end of the semester - and I’m going to be the odd one out.

True I wasn’t a permanent member of the team but the expectation ever since my appointment was that the transfer was intended to be made permanent at the end of the taught year.

I do have a previous post which I’ll return to but dropping two pay grades is less than ideal. Plus I’ve been away from that role since May 2019 so it’s going to feel like a huge backwards step professionally too.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 10 Jun 2021 13:02:02 18,203 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Not the biggest problem in the world but pretty disappointing
  • souvlaki 10 Jun 2021 13:57:23 1,181 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    That sucks. I've no advice to offer, as it seems a done deal. :(
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 10 Jun 2021 14:16:41 18,203 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    My manager thought the plan was to appoint, so did hers but the one above that has tightened the funding
  • Dougs 10 Jun 2021 14:22:03 99,628 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Nothing else at the temp grade about?
  • nickthegun 10 Jun 2021 14:34:37 86,899 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Im getting a person back next month that I dont need. She went on an 18 month maternity cover with a promise that the position would be made permanent as the team was expanding.

Covid put the blocks on that but I had already done the FY planning for her not coming back. Shes as good as gold and I will find her something to do but she has also dropped down a grade and a level to come back which sucks for her.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 10 Jun 2021 14:45:09 18,203 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I don’t think my old team were expecting me back so same, the boss’ll need to find something for me to do for the summer.

Probably something to do with Septembers intake and students panicking over the summer resit period I imagine, which is fine really.
  • Phattso 11 Jun 2021 09:57:33 27,232 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    So let me get this straight, Activision. When I put the Modern Warfare disc in my drive, that 83 GB thing you download isn't actually that game at all is it? It's another game entirely, isn't it? A game I had absolutely no desire to play when I put the disc marked "Modern Warfare" into the drive.

When I finally get into that 83GB download. you to tell me to download something else so I can play the game I want to play and which I put in the drive 83GB ago. So I dutifully download another 15GB or so, because I have no other option.

But that's not going to be enough is it? No. There's another 23GB "compatibility" download that now has to be downloaded that for reasons beggaring belief couldn't be included in the download I just finished.

So now I'm three downloads in, that's me done right?

No. Because I dare to want 4K textures there's not one, not two, NOT THREE, BUT FOUR INDIVIDUAL 20GB DOWNLOADS.

But it's OK, I just have to press one "get all button" and it'll nicely OH NO, WAIT, I'M GOING TO HAVE TO BE TAKEN TO THE FUCKING XBOX STORE FOR EACH OF THESE FUCKING DOWNLOADS IN TURN AREN'T IT?!

Fuck these fucking fucks. This can't be the way. This isn't how it's supposed to be. I only rented the fucking game, but already I regret putting even the tiniest sliver of profit into the pockets of these backwards, bumbling, morons. Jesus wept.
  • Mola_Ram 11 Jun 2021 10:32:39 25,895 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I remember when an advantage of getting something on console was that it "just worked".
  • Phattso 11 Jun 2021 10:55:28 27,232 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    It's not even the faff that stunned me - it was the fact that it installed A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT GAME THAN THE ONE IN THE DRIVE. Surely that's mis-selling? FRAUD ACTIONS!

Edited by Phattso at 11:01:14 11-06-2021
  • Rogueywon 11 Jun 2021 11:21:22 11,963 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    It's weird that this stuff does tend to be much simpler on Steam and EGS than on the consoles these days. The shit that the PS5 version of the Final Fantasy 7 remake makes you go through to transfer a save from the PS4 version is astounding.
  • RobTheRobber 12 Jun 2021 03:30:23 89 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 1 month ago
    Post deleted
  • Dougs 12 Jun 2021 06:40:03 99,628 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Fix?
  • RobTheRobber 13 Jun 2021 19:09:18 89 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 1 month ago
    @Dougs

(Apologies for deleting the post about the time you replied). The left DS4 stick is all jittery when pressing forward, meaning my character will spaz diagonally left and right when trying to move forward. Also it doesn't register full sideways input anymore, there's drift so I had to ever increase deadzones... no idea what I could possibly do about that, so I wrote it off. The previous one had increasing issues with trigger input to a point that I couldn't compensate per software anymore.

As for the mice, they increasingly have issues with time, as registering double clicks instead of single ones, the mouse wheel registering the opposite direction etc. From what I read, that may be some sort of contact corrosion, possibly fixable, but the way they are built I have to rip them apart to even access the (hypothetical) screws. But having two new ones now I should be good for a few years.

Can I also mention that Gamestop is awful? The way they aggressively try to sell you shit is really annoying. But it worked, this time I went home with a membership card so they'll hopefully shut up about it the next time I have the misfortune of going there. The guy also tried to sell me a used DS4 (which I was reluctant about for obvious reasons), some of which were horribly broken and patched up. Told me "it's even cheaper than a new one", i.e. €52 (a new one is €60), acting as if that was a good deal. The nerves of these guys are amazing.
  • Next Last
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.