Following Gaming apathy (or just getting bored with it all). Page 7

• Carlo 20 Feb 2016 22:07:30 21,272 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    FuzzyDuck wrote:
    Truth be told, this gen is just a bit shit.
    Wow this is a blast from way back! Posted this none years ago.

I think this gen was saved by Destiny for me. That and a good group of mates that join in regularly.

There are the odd game, but yeah, nothing outstanding.
  • Deleted user 20 February 2016 23:21:54
    @JiveHound Its a right fucker to start with and then I found the xbox 1 elite dangerous fb page and they are a fantastic bunch. mostly older gamers in 30's, 40's and 50,s. you tube is very helpful too. it is like an educational project for the first 20 hours or so but then all the systems and screens start to make sense. definitely worth it

more than happy to help out. gt is 'eg maddermax'
  • captain_markyboy 21 Feb 2016 07:45:25 853 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bored shitless of games these days. I don't think I've truly enjoyed a game for a couple of years now. Fallout 4 left me wondering why I bothered.
    I've bought every major release on Xbox one,nothing has really given me that feeling I used to have about games......

Think it's time I stopped spending money on it now....
  • rice_sandwich 21 Feb 2016 07:47:14 6,436 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I've long given up on AAA games and mostly look at indie and smaller to medium size dev stuff these days. The market seems pretty cookie cutter at the higher budgeted end.
  • jimnastics 21 Feb 2016 09:42:26 1,825 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There are very few games that provide "food for the soul" any more... sounds hippy and fluffy but it's true. So much shallow junk out there in the mainstream, I abandoned that side of gaming long ago. For me, the last proper era of great mainstream games that warmed my cockles was around the mid 2000's with the likes of Psychonauts, Beyond Good and Evil, the Mario Galaxy's, a couple of Zeldas. Over the past 10 years or so it's been very sporadic, usually now I look to indie like a lot of you guys. Most recent was Brothers which I thought was fantastic, and very mich looking forward to Yooka Laylee and Psychonauts 2 (a long way away...). But in general, I must only game for a couple of hours a month now, if that. We should be thankful for the indies that are still flying the flag of soulful gaming.
  • drhickman1983 22 Feb 2016 13:08:17 6,694 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I do play a few indie and non-AAA games, but not many of those have really caught my attention either.

To be fair to the big studios, some of them have dipped their toes into non-AAA titles. Ubisoft have stuff like Grow Home, Child of Light and Valiant Hearts and EA made Unravel. Hopefully they'll continue to try slightly different stuff like that.

It can be quite hard to widen your tastes. There are some genres I've never liked, and have tried several times but never gotten into. RTS games, for example. There are some classic games in that genre I'll never love. Or MOBAs.
  • PEShead 22 Feb 2016 13:36:22 264 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I still enjoy gaming. But these days, it's mostly just FIFA and F1 online, and simple indie games. Basically, titles that can be played casually and are relatively relaxing.

Maybe it's age, but the AAA mega campaign market increasingly leaves me cold. 1) I don't have the time to devote to such games anymore and 2) I'm turned off by the excessive focus on combat over exploration and puzzle-solving.

Edited by PEShead at 13:43:50 22-02-2016
  • DUFFMAN5 19 Aug 2017 09:07:21 25,868 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    My turn for this to land at my gamepad/door...again
    Struggling to get into any game at the moment. I just look at my "collection",not a collection, I do not collect games, but you know what I mean. and decide on not playing anything.

Without even counting older consoles I have around 100 games loaded onto the xb1/ps4 and at least 50 actual disc games, a large part of those unplayed, and yet very little inspires me to want to play.

Started Dishonoured 2 a week or so back and I can see it is a good game, but hardly played, same for Deus Ex, ME4, Sniper Elite 4 ect...

Even Gears is not getting the love it deserves (demands ;) ) there is no game on the horizon that I'm really looking forward to playing, not even South Park. I'm sure I will buy it, as actually buying games has very little correlation to me actually playing them or even unwrapping them. That is nothing new though.

I have always tried to stick to one story and one multiplayer at a time, just lately I have mixed this up, maybe that is the problem, my ordered brain doesn't like this system.

I will just ride it out as I have done before in the hope the enthusiasm returns as when I am in the mood I love gaming.

Edited by DUFFMAN5 at 09:10:48 19-08-2017
  • Deleted user 19 August 2017 09:22:37
    I'm not even playing any story driven lengthy game at the moment as I can't be arsed. Just having a few games of golf and short bursts of Isaac and Hotline Miami.
  • JonFE 19 Aug 2017 09:23:01 2,007 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @DUFFMAN5 I hear you. Apart from Souls games (and by that I mean FROM developed Souls games, not Souls-like games) nothing is grabbing me. I buy games regularly -mostly on sale, some on launch- play a couple of hours/levels -if I actually unwrap them- and then forget them for large periods of time, after which I barely remember what was going on or where I left off.

The worst part is they are games that I know I'd enjoy, yet I can't really be bothered... I'd rather finish off DS2 Darklurker that's still standing in his cave :rolleyes:
  • drhickman1983 19 Aug 2017 10:17:58 6,694 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Pretty much just play World of Warcraft these days. Not many big games really grab my attention.

Looking at the previous page, I mentioned I played MGSV to the end, and that's still the last "big" game I played to completion. Since then I've started, and drifted away from, Batman: Arkham Knight, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Assassins Creed: Unity (though I did finish AC: Syndicate) and XCOM 2. Mad Max I gave up on after 4 hours.

The problem with those games might be that I just didn't feel like there was much sense of progression. The new things were drip fed through a little too slowly.

I did play, and thoroughly enjoyed, INSIDE though. Maybe I just need to get smaller games.
  • Deleted user 19 August 2017 10:20:22
    I was looking through the current psn sale last night and whilst there was a few bargains, I stopped and thought better of purchasing a few as they won't get played. I am still swaying on sleeping dogs as I've never played it properly.
  • DUFFMAN5 19 Aug 2017 10:27:50 25,868 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Addy_B wrote:
    I was looking through the current psn sale last night and whilst there was a few bargains, I stopped and thought better of purchasing a few as they won't get played. I am still swaying on sleeping dogs as I've never played it properly.
    I had a lot of fun with Sleeping Dogs mate. Played it to completion on 360, I have the updated xb1 version on the hd as well.

I was a big fan of the True Crime games, still have both on my original Xbox and thought they had some great ideas for the crime sandbox game.
  • Jono62 19 Aug 2017 10:30:45 25,062 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @DUFFMAN5 You should try the Switch. I really enjoy mine and I've been in a bit of a gaming funk for many reasons which I won't go into details here. The Switch has put the fun back into gaming for me :)
  • Trowel 19 Aug 2017 10:33:42 23,406 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    drhickman1983 wrote:
    I did play, and thoroughly enjoyed, INSIDE though. Maybe I just need to get smaller games.
    Coincidentally I haven't played anything for two months, until last night I decided to give Inside a go and put it down 3 hours later. By no means perfect, but great fast food gaming.
  • Deleted user 19 August 2017 10:38:56
    @DUFFMAN5

I might purchase it then:)
  • Deleted user 19 August 2017 10:39:16
    Trowel wrote:
    drhickman1983 wrote:
    Coincidentally I haven't played anything for two months, until last night I decided to give Inside a go and put it down 3 hours later. By no means perfect, but great fast food gaming.
    Inside is great.
  • TheHammerite 19 Aug 2017 10:40:21 3,487 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I find modern games to resemble interactive movies. There's too much narrative! And hand holding. I still play them but they don't hold my attention the way games used to.
  • Trowel 19 Aug 2017 10:44:56 23,406 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    What pisses me off these days is open world games which make me feel if I don't interact with absolutely every book, poster, bin, etc etc I might miss out. Screw you walking sims.
  • DUFFMAN5 19 Aug 2017 10:46:24 25,868 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Jono62 wrote:
    @DUFFMAN5 You should try the Switch. I really enjoy mine and I've been in a bit of a gaming funk for many reasons which I won't go into details here. The Switch has put the fun back into gaming for me :)
    Morning Jono
    I think you may have advised to get a WiiU as well mate ;)
    I do like the look of the switch and will keep an eye on the release calendar. Zelda alone would seem a brilliant reason to buy ?

I will pm you mate.
  • ghostgate2001 19 Aug 2017 10:54:29 677 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Massive collection of barely-played games here, too, and I keep on buying more of them, like a frikkin addict, knowing full-well I'll only get my money's worth out of maybe 1 in 20 of them, and finish even fewer.

Same as most folks here, I know full-well why I do it: I keep buying them and trying them in the hope that one of them will work the old magic and totally engage me the way games used to.

It's getting rarer and rarer that one does work the magic. It's still fantastic when that happens, but I've reached the point where I've got to ask myself whether it's sustainable - or even sane - to keep doing it when the hit-rate is so low.

It is addiction, isn't it? Consuming more and more, looking for the high you remember and not really finding it, and only the very best shit actually does anything for you anymore? Yep.

One thing's for sure: I'd save a lot of money if I had a crystal ball that enabled me to peek at my trophachievement lists a month into the future and only bought the ones that did the trick :lol:
  • LittleSparra 19 Aug 2017 10:56:09 7,926 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I tend to find my enthusiasm waning for anything that isn't MP atm.

Lost Guardian, Nex Machina, Gravity Rush, Witcher 3 and Hitman all unfinished. Same old MP games on xbone hammered. Guess i am in a groove.

Edited by LittleSparra at 10:56:36 19-08-2017
  • Deleted user 19 August 2017 11:00:19
    I find it really hard to get into lengthy sp games also. That isn't BoTW of course, over 200 hours in that so far.

Dragon Age I I'm dutifully plodding through but as someone else said story and character is usually so wanting in these things it's hard to look past and care about any of it.

Especially as story takes over from actual gameplay mechanics for the most part.

Edited by JiveHound at 11:00:58 19-08-2017
  • LittleSparra 19 Aug 2017 11:01:48 7,926 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Dragon Age was the epitome of misguided AAA, it won't improve.

Still has some great bits, mind.
  • Deleted user 19 August 2017 11:06:04
    LittleSparra wrote:
    Dragon Age was the epitome of misguided AAA, it won't improve.

Still has some great bits, mind.
    I keep being told it does by everyone, that's the only reason I've been trudging through it.

Damn it Red

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.