Following Gaming apathy (or just getting bored with it all). Page 10

Next Last
  • DUFFMAN5 16 Apr 2020 11:24:09 26,166 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Jono62 wrote:
    Get a Switch and Animal Crossing. It's so chilled.
    Morning mate I will be getting a Switch once they are back in stock and not silly money. I don't want the lite version.

I hope you and Mrs Jono are well mate.
  • Tomo 16 Apr 2020 11:26:53 18,076 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Rum_Monkey wrote:
    Basically try other games and stop playing gears for a while.
    Yeah this. I get periods of apathy like this maybe every other year. Most recent was prob last autumn. Booted up my Switch for the first time in a year and got Hollow Knight on the cheap and suddenly I was hooked again. I hadn't played a metrioidvania for soooo long. The change in genre was completely restorative. Since then, I've played loads. It's been great. Currently hooked on Civilization 6 and started HL:A. Couldn't really be two genres further apart, which is great.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 16 Apr 2020 11:27:07 9,336 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Persona 5 Royal... once it gets its teeth into you, you're sorted for the next hundred hours.

Of all the times to get gaming burnout, right now is probably not the best...
  • DUFFMAN5 16 Apr 2020 11:33:26 26,166 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Vortex808 wrote:
    I have just been through a bored of gaming phase over winter duff, just do other stuff for a bit. It has made me wonder about taking part in the next gen at the end of the year, but I do like the new shiny.

Try some different games, you dug EGttR, have you tried Life is Strange 2? Or 1? Nice relaxing gaming, you can drop at any point and a nice story to hook you in. That and telltale stuff have eased me back from gaming ennui many a time!
    😃
    I did and do indeed adore EGttR mate, still have on ps4 in fact. I just downloaded Journey.looking forward to putting the Sony Golds on and playing that later today.

I have also set some goals in TA and TT, not for everyone but I like working towards a "goal" no matter its significance.

As for new consoles, I think they will get delayed and for me there is no rush. Only had my Gears 5 Xbox since late last year.

I'm glad I posted as it is good to get suggestions and discourse between EGers 👍😁

Edited by DUFFMAN5 at 11:35:29 16-04-2020
  • JamboWayOh 16 Apr 2020 11:38:12 20,723 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Actually, can someone explain why animal crossing is good? I've never played one before and am on the fence about buying it.
  • AboutHalfaStevas 16 Apr 2020 11:39:53 2,765 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ever played a game and spent more time fucking about rather than, you know, playing the game?

It's that: the game.
  • ghearoid 16 Apr 2020 12:05:22 3,618 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I was a fed up a few years ago and stopped buying new games and hardware for a six year period and just stuck with what I had. After mostly replaying my old Advance Wars, Animal Crossing and various tennis games for years, I finally got a 2DS and then a Switch shortly after launch.

Haven't played so much in years, love gaming again now. Mostly sticking with Nintendo as I've realized that they make my favourite games.
  • Bambot 16 Apr 2020 13:33:07 1,879 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    Actually, can someone explain why animal crossing is good? I've never played one before and am on the fence about buying it.
    It's not really THAT amazing in my personal opinion. Once you get over the cuteness, and a few real-life-days into it when you realise that, yes, all there is to do here is repeat your own personal gameplay loop over and over again, clicking through aaaaall that feckin bleeping and blooping as fast as possible because it's so annoying and slows everything down, and it's basically a stripped back game of The Sims with none of the detailed interaction/career stuff, just a cutesy island with cutesy animals and cutesy knick knacks to decorate the place with, for no real reason or gameplay goal whatsoever, it kind of gets boring.

But then, I've fallen for it every single time, since the first game, and every time I think, THIS time I'll still be into it after the fifth real-life day.

I never am.
  • Armoured_Bear 16 Apr 2020 14:14:31 29,022 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    Jono62 wrote:
    Get a Switch and Animal Crossing. It's so chilled.
    Morning mate I will be getting a Switch once they are back in stock and not silly money. I don't want the lite version.

I hope you and Mrs Jono are well mate.
    Fucking hell, you have so much gaming goodness to come.
    BoTW is mind-blowing.
  • Vortex808 16 Apr 2020 14:35:53 14,008 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:

I did and do indeed adore EGttR mate, still have on ps4 in fact. I just downloaded Journey.looking forward to putting the Sony Golds on and playing that later today.

Journey is brilliant Duff, if that doesn't cure your apathy, nothing will. The end is just lovely.

As is the whole game! 😃
  • SnowmanRR 22 May 2020 22:06:46 204 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Turned on the Xbox at 9.30pm and still canít decide what to play...
  • Carlo 22 May 2020 22:20:36 21,377 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    SnowmanRR wrote:
    Turned on the Xbox at 9.30pm and still canít decide what to play...
    Ace Combat is on Pass ultimate.
  • SnowmanRR 22 May 2020 22:43:17 204 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Turned the Switch on instead, that sorted out the indecision
  • SnowmanRR 22 May 2020 22:43:18 204 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Post deleted
  • TechnoHippy 23 May 2020 10:25:06 17,718 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I've been struggling a bit getting into games recently. I've bought quite a few in the past couple of months, only to abandon them shortly into them. And I've downloaded so many game pass games it's unbelievable.

Lets see how long Maneater keeps my attention.
  • PazJohnMitch 23 May 2020 11:39:24 16,187 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I can definitely see how Gamepass could lead to crippling indecision due to overwhelming choice.

When I find myself apathetic towards gaming I look for a high rated, short game in a genre I do not normally play.
  • KnuttinAtoll 23 May 2020 12:13:43 8,196 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    I can definitely see how Gamepass could lead to crippling indecision due to overwhelming choice.

When I find myself apathetic towards gaming I look for a high rated, short game in a genre I do not normally play.
    Yeah. Ever since I stopped buying every single top rated game and just focus on a small group of games (with a high replay value, such as sims or sandbox type games) I have the opposite problem - more desire to play than I have time for it.
  • spookyxelectric 24 May 2020 07:31:22 142 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I get gaming rut about once every 3 or 6 months. I didn't play anything this week, not even for a second.

But that's just to say, it's normal for us who've gamed all of our lives. Doubly so during this pandemic.

That said, I'm currently thinking I might skip the PS5 and Series X, and just upgrade my PC and occasionally play on that and the Switch. But I know the moment I see some actual PS5 games I'll change my mind.

But I do feel as I'm getting too old for gaming. But I also felt that way leading up to the PS4 and XB1, and here I am still.
  • spookyxelectric 24 May 2020 07:31:22 142 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Syrette 24 May 2020 07:56:21 50,789 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Haven't played anything in months. Simply nothing I want to play.

Of course, from next month onwards and for the foreseeable future, there's a new game I'm excited about and will be getting.
  • THFourteen 24 May 2020 08:18:17 53,839 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    In general I only get into games where thereís a story and an end to it. Endless loop games or games which are just about gameplay donít tend to do it for me.

There are exceptions, football games, animal crossing, slay the spire. But I prefer a good RPG or fps single player campaign.
  • TechnoHippy 24 May 2020 08:43:38 17,718 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Played Maneater (until it crashed 5 minutes in), Watch Dogs 2, Aero(? fun little rhythm, but I'm too cack handed at it) this morning so far and now downloading some Swedish FPS.
  • Dombat 24 May 2020 09:31:42 1,788 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I had a period of losing interest a few weeks ago. Hit a progression/enjoyment wall with several games I had on the go at the time and I found myself wanting to spend my downtime just doing other activities instead like reading, watching tv shows etc.

Back into gaming again now. I tend to have the opposite problem of having too much I want to play and not being able to make time for everything.
  • Darth_Flibble 24 May 2020 11:22:13 4,443 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I think part of the problem is game design and quest design for certain games. With RPG, you make the characters and stories good, it really helps a quest which is pretty much go here and kill a monster Witcher 3 does quests really well. AC origins and odyssey (less so in odyssey) had a lot of naff filler quests and grind to pad out the playtime. This can burn you out on a game.

Rather have less quests but better quality quests, Kingdoms of amalur was good action RPG but had a tone of mediocre quests that someone shat out so it can have "80 hours of content!!!11111" parroted by reviewers.

I agree that gamepass/ps now can be overwhelming with games but its good that you ditch a game that is not fun and pick up another
  • wobbly_Bob 24 May 2020 17:07:43 5,162 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I don't play games at all any more. I came to realize that all I was doing was killing time. I no longer felt a passion for it. It was just something to do. Occasionally I would play a game and feel that old spark but those moments were rare.

It doesn't help that games are mostly soulless skinner machines. Indie games are the only hope.

Now I'm happily filling my time with my passions: cooking (mostly Thai or Asian), blogging, reading, and writing. Those fill up almost of the time that I have available.

I'm also long term travelling. I was planning to do 6 months minimum and up to a year of travel through South East Asia but then covid19 happened. Still, bright side, longer to save. I think I'll wait for a vaccine unit I travel again but I am constantly looking at the situation so maybe I will change my mind.
  • bighairybear65 24 May 2020 17:15:23 335 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I recently stopped playing multiplayer games, just finished with it now, psplus ended, quite happy about it.. now getting on with some backlog single story based games (Uncharted 4 at mo..) and loving it, donít play as much as I used to. I treat gaming like watching films I guess, just entertainment.
    Have started reading again too.. my old hobby before gaming, loving it again.
    It maybe an age thing, it maybe lockdown, not sure but canít see myself wasting anymore time online gaming. 🤔

Edited by bighairybear65 at 17:20:28 24-05-2020
  • DUFFMAN5 24 May 2020 17:27:50 26,166 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @bighairybear65

Great stuff. Enjoyment is the key 👌
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.