Exercise advice and weight loss Page 479

• elstoof 14 Sep 2018 12:11:13 21,539 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Winter miles means summer smiles
  • ozthegweat 16 Sep 2018 10:23:55 2,069 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I started a new workout plan, with very slow reps. 4s lowering the weight, 2s pause, 4s raising. 3 sets, 6 reps on the first two, AMRAP on the last, only 30-60s break between sets.

15 minutes after doing squats, my legs were shaking when doing barbell rows.
  • Deleted user 16 September 2018 10:54:14
    Had my weekly weigh in earlier. I've lost 5 lbs :) Gym x 4 this week and no treats (besides a small Chinese takeaway) very happy with that. Didn't do a great deal at the gym either really. Just 40 mins comprising of cross trainer, bike and treadmill.
  • THFourteen 16 Sep 2018 10:59:03 49,982 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Pah. Unsurprisingly up 2.5lbs after holiday but thatís on top of the 4-6 I was already carrying before that.

Looks like day 1 starts today, ideally need to drop 6-7lbs before Xmas!

Should be doable. Breakfast was shreddies and lunch maybe 3 eggs, ham and beans.
  • elstoof 16 Sep 2018 12:36:52 21,539 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I do no like 3 eggs and ham, I do not like them TH I Am
  • elstoof 16 Sep 2018 12:46:57 21,539 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Sitting down for a lunch of sea bass from turkey, Peruvian asparagus and Kenyan pak Choi I cant help but long for those brave post Brexit days where I can finally eat healthily with all the cheap food from the rest of the world
  • Gunzberg 16 Sep 2018 13:12:15 2,630 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Lost 9,8kg past 4 months with new gym, minimum of 20min run every day and keto diet mostly.

I have cut all forms of sugar from my diet, minimal carbs and eat organic where possible.

Still, a long way to go to reach my final goal but the lack of sugar keeps the insulin pumping low and your body following exercise in permanent fat-burn mode.

Gym plan is one day of: 50min elliptic, 20min run, then weights, TRX etc. Every 2nd day I do a gym class, spinning, kranking, Les Mills Body Pump whatever + 20min run, then back to day 1. Also 2 nights a week 2 hours of badminton in a local club late in the evening, then straight to bed with no snack afterwards for maximum fat burn.

In terms of food: Avocado, Ceylon cinnamon, organic ginger, soya flakes, tuna, wild Kodiak salmon, protein bread, veggies that kind of thing.

Let's see if I can reach my medium-term goal by January :D

p.s. All this gymming kicked off again after I had a complete body analysis which showed my body was 9 years older than my actual age! Shocking! At the last re-check I dropped that down to 6 years older than I actually am. Probably won't ever reach Ronaldo level of a body 10 years younger than your actual age but I hope to at least have a body that's a little bit younger than I actually am.

Edited by Gunzberg at 13:16:59 16-09-2018
  • elstoof 16 Sep 2018 13:18:16 21,539 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    What will you do once you hit your target
  • Gunzberg 16 Sep 2018 13:35:11 2,630 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Optimise fat/muscle a bit more and try to keep to it.

I am a notorious yo-yoer, I have gone +/- 30kg in the past 4-5 years, with swings of +/-10-15kg between that. My old corporate jobs were huge time-sinks and never allowed for any exercise, now that I am self-employed I can structure my day much better. Also, no more time wasted commuting etc, frees up a lot of time.

I tend to exercise in the morning to midday and then work early afternoon to late in the evening, works much better for me as you then turn on the high metabolic burn rate in the morning, keeping your body working till you snooze.
  • elstoof 16 Sep 2018 13:38:20 21,539 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Will you stick to the diet?
  • Gunzberg 16 Sep 2018 14:40:33 2,630 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'll stick to no sugar, I don't miss it (it not only stops fat burn, it also tremendously accelerates the aging of your cells). Might re-add some wholegrain carbs occasionally, but the diet has not been a big issue.

Some diets are all about starving yourself or constantly feeling hungry. Keto has worked for me as I can snack every couple of hours as long as it is the right food. I have felt no cravings since May when I started it - took some adjustment though!
  • Gunzberg 16 Sep 2018 14:41:50 2,630 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I might add that I don't drink or smoke so being overweight was the only physical factor I have to/am working on
  • elstoof 16 Sep 2018 14:47:05 21,539 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Good luck with it, thatís done good weight loss so far
  • GuybrushFreepwood 16 Sep 2018 15:23:20 311 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    I'm unfit.

7 miles walking and I'm knackered. Wife signed me up to a 10k challenge and we just did it while geocaching. Feet hurt...time to bin the boots..
  • THFourteen 17 Sep 2018 08:47:55 49,982 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Well day 1 went well, managed to avoid eating the kids leftover tea (potato, cucumber, tomato, ham and cheese yum) and split my dark chocolate portion over two snacks, so doing well.

Back at work today tho so will be harder. Combination of back to work after holiday blues, being quite busy, and up at 4.30 and availability of snacks right next to me.

But i shall power through!
  • THFourteen 17 Sep 2018 08:48:05 49,982 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    is it lunchtime yet?
  • DUFFMAN5 17 Sep 2018 08:50:42 23,621 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    is it lunchtime yet?
    Stay strong brother ;)
  • Frogofdoom 17 Sep 2018 08:58:08 10,528 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    You can do it you chubby funster.
  • The_Goon 17 Sep 2018 10:14:16 1,058 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    How do married/coupled folk cope? My diet is not nearly as good as it should be but I am hamstrung to a degree by my home diet. I can't very well expect my wife to cook a separate meal for me and it would also be quite expensive for me to cook for myself in addition to what she is cooking (nevermind her fabricating some story in here head that I hate her cooking and this is an excuse to avoid eating it!). It's not that they are massively unhealthy meals but fish fingers/macaroni cheese/jacket potatoes etc. are not exactly light dishes.

I do try portion controlling but I feel like it only goes so far. Need to work more on my diet though and regular exercise. I like Gunzberg's idea of a minimum 20 minute run a day. Pretty much any time in the gym/exercising is time away from the family though. I find it hard to rationalise when we have young kids at home - it's not fair leave my wife to deal with them and when they're down, it would take time away from being with my wife. Thoughts/motivation would be good.

I would add that something I don't see talked about a lot in this thread is sleep. I think I would be far healthier/lighter if I went to sleep earlier and got a good 7/8 hours' sleep. As it is, I get 5-6 hours in all reality. My Garmin tells my I don't have much deep sleep either so it's not of great quality. Sleep hygiene has always been a problem for me but something I should try to fix as a priority - but when would I game if I slept early?!

Edited by The_Goon at 10:14:53 17-09-2018
  • elstoof 17 Sep 2018 10:39:44 21,539 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Iíve always done the majority of the cooking because Iíve always been vastly better at it than anyone ive been in a relationship with. Jacket potato, macaroni cheese etc for dinner shouldnít be a problem as long as you eat well for the other meals and no snacking on junk because thatís the killer
  • THFourteen 17 Sep 2018 11:07:39 49,982 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @The_Goon

Honestly we've always prepared and eaten separate meals. I tend to like eating rice/pasta/potato based dishes in the evening (chilli, curry, stir fry, etc) whereas my wife prefers something lighter like fish etc.

People think its weird, but it works for us, we try and eat at the same time (although not possible if i go to the gym or she's late home from work, can be 9pm some nights). We always eat lunch together with the kids on saturday + sunday, and eat together the two of us on saturday night.

I generally make it work by making e.g. vats of chilli or curry on Sunday and whacking them in the freezer, and then just cooking fresh rice. Or i make something thats 15mins to prepare, like veg + chicken stir fry, or pasta w/ boiled veg + ham and pesto/tomato sauce).

Can't help with the cost tho!
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 17 Sep 2018 11:09:13 16,713 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Separate beds?
  • challenge_hanukkah 17 Sep 2018 11:13:45 8,362 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Separate beds are the way forward actually.

It's not natural sharing with some cunts hair, farts, body heat, cold feet etc to deal with. It's always been horrific and is baffling that it's common practice.
  • Psychotext 17 Sep 2018 11:14:02 63,915 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Basically what TH says for me. If we do eat the same meal it tends to be on the much healthier side and I'll eat again a bit later (my calorie intake is much higher because of all the training).
  • sport 17 Sep 2018 11:20:42 14,647 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I always prefer to have a trial separation during the bulking phase.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 17 Sep 2018 11:25:25 16,713 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    challenge_hanukkah wrote:
    Separate beds are the way forward actually.

It's not natural sharing with some cunts hair, farts, body heat, cold feet etc to deal with. It's always been horrific and is baffling that it's common practice.
    You make it sound like you're married to a walrus.
  • challenge_hanukkah 17 Sep 2018 11:38:43 8,362 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    A walrus would smell better.
  • THFourteen 17 Sep 2018 11:57:32 49,982 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Guy next to me at work is eating salt and vinegar crisps

smells sooo good
  • Psychotext 17 Sep 2018 12:08:51 63,915 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Fight him for them, and reward your effort with calories.
  • The_Goon 17 Sep 2018 12:36:46 1,058 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It only makes sense to recoup the extra calories he expended during the fight.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.