askew wrote:
    Derblington wrote:
    Öwith a MonsterÖ
    Pro. :cool:
    Heh that made me chuckle too
  • fontgeeksogood 8 Oct 2018 10:16:09 2,838 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    I'm a biscuit short of 200lbs and I ran my last marathon just under an hour longer than it took Mo Farrah at the weekend, I imagine if I was skinny, and had years of training and blood doping I'd be a shoe in for the Sports Personality of the Year, having Greg Rusedski'd my Canadian passport
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 8 Oct 2018 10:23:21 16,306 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    My shoulder seems to have decided not to dislocate anymore so I've been sparring quite a bit recently. Amazing how quickly your fitness skyrockets after just a few sessions. Plus I get to punch young people in the head.
  • Psychotext 8 Oct 2018 10:25:34 63,801 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    My rib just doesn't seem to be healing properly after my setback (caused by mowing the lawn, or rather starting the mower).

Tedious.
  • The_Goon 8 Oct 2018 10:36:58 1,019 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @macmurphy Cardio before will just tire your muscles and impede your weights session. Don't do it! Alternatively, do cardio on your 'rest' days?

I've been proper wank lately and feeling really shit about it - I've not been to the gym in weeks (mostly due to work being a bitch but also me being a bit lazy) and I've been eating ridiculously badly (mostly due to me not having any self-control). It's just too easy to sack it off and to eat the yummy tasty food.

I just really need to find a way to fit exercise into my schedule. The little one wakes up at like 5:30/6am so exercise early is a little difficult (especially since I sleep so late) and I usually leave the office at around 7/8pm (with an hour commute home) but tend to do another 2 hours or so of work at home so my time after work is limited too. Working out at 3pm for my 'lunch' (obviously I eat earlier!) is the easiest fit but obviously that is work accommodating. Paying silly money for a London Virgin Active membership and making fuck all use of it.

Any ideas guys? Any advice would be really welcome. Tempted to try and get a gym going in my garage but it's full of shit and has no heating. Also, anyone go to the Liverpool Street Virgin Broadgate and up for a gym buddy?
  • THFourteen 8 Oct 2018 10:50:51 49,827 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @The_Goon

You're in a very similar situation as me, got two young kids and they are up at 5am every day, both me and the mrs work so there is no time for a morning session as much as i want to.

My work hours aren't as bad as yours, but i have no opportunity to gym at lunch, and by the time the kids are in bed its 8pm, so i end up having to do what i do between 8 and 10pm which is pretty late, and means no evening telly/gaming, and eating dinner at 10pm.

If you are serious i would suggest making the effort to clear your garage out. I did the same when we moved, spent £1800 on a power rack, some olympic dumbells + barbell, a bench, a bendy bar that sort of thing, and i haven't looked back. I put in rubber floor, and insulated the garage door with foam and reflective sheeting, its still cold in there, but i have an electric oil heater which does the trick, plus when you get going you soon forget about it

I also have my "rig" at one end of the room with a decent sized monitor so i can watch netflix / surf the internet in between sets, which helps motivation. Plus you can go whenever you have the time, and your mrs can watch the kid for an hour.

It sounds like an extravagance, especially when people were to look at me, i just look like a normal person, not a gym bunny, but at the cost of a virgin membership (i was nuffield - £70 a month), shit paid for itself in 2.5 years.

Not to mention the kids aren't allowed in there, so its a proper man cave now with my shelves and lego and also the tidiest room in the house.

Edited by THFourteen at 10:51:20 08-10-2018
  • Jono62 8 Oct 2018 11:17:56 20,970 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    When I move to a bigger place, I'm making sure one room is my man cave. If you don't have a man cave in a bigger place, then you are doing it wrong. The best place for a man cave would be the garage.

Edited by Jono62 at 11:18:32 08-10-2018
  • DUFFMAN5 8 Oct 2018 11:21:02 23,519 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear
    MANCAVEMANCAVEMANCAVEMANCAVEMANCAVEMANCAVEMANCAVEMANCAVEMANCAVEMANCAVEMANCAVEMANCAVEMANCAVEMANCAVEMANCAVEMANCAVEMANCAVEMANCAVEMANCAVEMANCAVEMANCAVEMANCAVEMANCAVEMANCAVEMANCAVEMANCAVEMANCAVEMANCAVEMANCAVEMANCAVEMANCAVEMANCAVEMANCAVEMANCAVEMANCAVEMANCAVEMANCAVEMANCAVEMANCAVEMANCAVEMANCAVEMANCAVEMANCAVEMANCAVEMANCAVEMANCAVEMANCAVEMANCAVEMANCAVEMANCAVEMANCAVEMANCAVEMANCAVEMANCAVEMANCAVEMANCAVEMANCAVEMANCAVEMANCAVEMANCAVEMANCAVEMANCAVEMANCAVEMANCAVE
  • Vortex808 8 Oct 2018 11:24:36 12,712 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    :-)

10 Print "Man Cave"
    20 Go to 10
  • DUFFMAN5 8 Oct 2018 12:05:41 23,519 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear
    You know you still do. I'm one of the good guys ;)
  • the_milkybar_kid 11 Oct 2018 09:50:46 7,611 posts
    Seen 48 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Hit 530 on the leg press this morning for 3 reps. Bought a belt after loaning one for the last few leg sessions. I've never liked relying on straps or belts, but it's made all the difference and really helped stop me shaking like a shitting dog on the heavier sets. Don't know why I haven't bothered sooner. Managed to get a creaky rep on 180 on Squats, hoping to get a decent few reps on 180 then have a play with 200 before the end of the year.

One other thing, are your calf muscles supposed to be symmetrical to each other? My right is starting to look reasonable now and looks something like a cows heart under strain. My left is there, but the muscle looks completely different and higher up. I've always kept weights evenly distributed and have worked more on my left to try and get the muscle up, but it looks fairly different from the right. Is there anything I should be looking at doing? Amputation?

Edited by the_milkybar_kid at 10:40:03 11-10-2018
  • Psychotext 11 Oct 2018 09:55:07 63,801 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Uhhh... what am I missing here? By leg press you mean the machine sort?

Because if it is, that movement is pretty much complete isolation. Unless you're arching your back or something the belt shouldn't really do much at all.

Edited by Psychotext at 09:56:45 11-10-2018
  • challenge_hanukkah 11 Oct 2018 09:58:21 8,022 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It's so weird reading this thread and imagining all these insanely musclebound chads slapping each other's bums and reconciling it with the pictures of the geek meets that used to happen.
  • the_milkybar_kid 11 Oct 2018 10:03:50 7,611 posts
    Seen 48 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Psychotext Sorry, that's right. Leg press on a machine but with plates. Didn't use the belt on that, more so for squats.

Edited by the_milkybar_kid at 10:18:03 11-10-2018
  • Psychotext 11 Oct 2018 10:32:24 63,801 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ahh, right. You wrote it a bit oddly.

@challenge_hanukkah... you realise most of us chads wouldn't be seen dead at a geekmeet right? :D
  • smoothpete 11 Oct 2018 10:41:20 34,970 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Speak for yourself, I span the chasm between chads and geeks quite well.
  • Load_2.0 11 Oct 2018 10:49:29 28,010 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    challenge_hanukkah wrote:
    It's so weird reading this thread and imagining all these insanely musclebound chads slapping each other's bums and reconciling it with the pictures of the geek meets that used to happen.
    Bro that's when they are on the bulk phase.

They never had EG Meets during the cut phase otherwise you'd be amazed!
  • ozthegweat 11 Oct 2018 11:38:43 2,059 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @challenge_hanukkah My grandma has more muscle than me, I'm doing squats with a toothpick.
  • GoatApocalypse 14 Oct 2018 09:04:17 4,485 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Recently started doing plank exercises and some kettlebell stuff at home. Amazing what a difference it makes.
  • THFourteen 14 Oct 2018 09:21:30 49,827 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    This weekends trial, another kids party where they had ordered in the most amazing sausage rolls Iíd ever seen. Trial passed. :-(

Off to chessington aquarium today so taking a packed lunch but didnít have forewarning so lunch consists of a tiny ham and cheese roll and bag of hula hoops for 450kcal which will no doubt leave me starving.

Going to eat a bucket of ice cream whilst Iím there I think.
  • GoatApocalypse 14 Oct 2018 10:12:37 4,485 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I need to reinstate my blanket been on crisps and chocolate. Having a couple of weeks back on it has been nice but it needs to be knocked on the head now.
  • GuybrushFreepwood 14 Oct 2018 10:23:17 209 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    Right... I'm sat in my PJs watching TV and notice my stomach now goes out more than in these days. I think I need to get off my lazy ass and get exercising. Time to dust off the cross trainer. Wish me luck. Really don't fancy exercising, but I'm not going to get fit slobbing it.

Edited by GuybrushFreepwood at 16:18:48 14-10-2018
  • FredClintstone 14 Oct 2018 12:30:32 20 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 week ago
    I always do cardio before hitting the weights. I find it's good to get my heart rate up, break a sweat and get into exercise mode.
  • GuybrushFreepwood 14 Oct 2018 21:42:24 209 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    Managed just over an hour. Bet I hurt in the morning... Though I tried to keep it sensible cardio.
  • Load_2.0 15 Oct 2018 08:23:42 28,010 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    This weekends trial, another kids party where they had ordered in the most amazing sausage rolls Iíd ever seen. Trial passed. :-(

Off to chessington aquarium today so taking a packed lunch but didnít have forewarning so lunch consists of a tiny ham and cheese roll and bag of hula hoops for 450kcal which will no doubt leave me starving.

Going to eat a bucket of ice cream whilst Iím there I think.
    Im not sold on your approach. How is this sustainable?

If you are always denying yourself the things you want its only a matter of time before you cave and simply resort to business as usual.

One sausage role isn't going to kill you. Changing your habits is a long term thing rather than a crash course.
  • THFourteen 15 Oct 2018 08:51:06 49,827 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Another 1.4lbs down this week! i make that about 7lbs in a month give or take, which is about what i was aiming for. I'm actually able to wear a tshirt that i hadn't worn for years.

@Load_2.0

i'm not "always" denying myself things, i am just controlling things. On Friday night i went to the pub and had sausage and mash and 5 vodka lime and sodas. So on Saturday, i can't ALSO have the sausage roll. Snacks like cakes and sausage rolls (and leftover childrens meals) are the main reason why i put weight on in the first place.

I'm on about 1500-1800 calories per day depending on the day right now, i fully expect to head back to 2000-2500 if i hit my target weight but i was probably closer to 3000 a day over the last year or so i reckon.

It helps to still allow yourself treats, so i have 85% dark chocolate in the afternoon, and some fruit and/or oppo low sugar ice cream after dinner.

This week i'm going to Lahore again on Wednesday, a mates house for lunch on Saturday and my dad's 70th on sunday, so expecting to pig out :-)
  • fontgeeksogood 15 Oct 2018 08:51:36 2,838 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    I disagree, Stephen's Sausage Roll very nearly killed esteemed humorous user neilka
  • GoatApocalypse 15 Oct 2018 08:53:51 4,485 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I enjoy the sweet science of ritual self-denial.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.