Exercise advice and weight loss Page 491

• robthehermit 1 Nov 2018 12:49:45 6,919 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I've lost almost 2 stone in the past 2 months. I haven't done any exercise yet, I'm still at the stage where I'm fat enough that just not filling my face full of crisps and biscuits every night is enough to lose it. Another 5lb and I'll merely be overweight instead of obese.
  • IJ 1 Nov 2018 13:16:38 953 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @freddymercurystwin Getting back into it. I used to go 3x a week to a gym several years ago. But got a kid now and not done any serious exercise for 3-4 years. Which is why the home gym is appealing, I can put her to bed then just do a quick 30min workout in the garage. It's a double garage with heating and stuff which the previous owners used as a games and cinema room, it's got surround sound speakers, wooden floor, sky lights and projector cable in the ceiling, so I could make it pretty swanky. But I want to try it out first and see if we use it before I go whole hog on the thing.

My routine was 15 mins cardio then 45 on resistance free weights. But itíll take a fair bit of equipment for all that so want to start small.

Edited by IJ at 13:25:28 01-11-2018

Edited by IJ at 13:26:07 01-11-2018
  • THFourteen 1 Nov 2018 13:37:38 49,987 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The_Goon wrote:
    All I know is I'm putting on more and more weight and I really need to do something!
    To be honest mate, not using your gym membership is not the reason why you are gaining weight. Even if you use your home gym 3 times a week if you don't make changes to your diet you will gain weight.

Don't mean the above in a mean way, but just pointing it out :-)

Like robabove I've lost about 9lbs in 6 weeks through changing my diet alone.
  • The_Goon 1 Nov 2018 13:41:33 1,069 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    The_Goon wrote:
    All I know is I'm putting on more and more weight and I really need to do something!
    To be honest mate, not using your gym membership is not the reason why you are gaining weight. Even if you use your home gym 3 times a week if you don't make changes to your diet you will gain weight.

Don't mean the above in a mean way, but just pointing it out :-)

Like robabove I've lost about 9lbs in 6 weeks through changing my diet alone.
    Absolutely. No offence taken. I need to do both ideally.
  • GoatApocalypse 1 Nov 2018 19:25:17 4,607 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Can recommend my masochist diet - only raw fruit, vegetables and nuts from the moment you wake up until about 6pm, when you can have a meal.

Cigarettes and Coke Zero optional.
  • THFourteen 2 Nov 2018 14:21:56 49,987 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Think i've fucked up somewhere along the line. I thought cravings were supposed to go away? All i can think about is cake. But there is no cake in the world right now that wouldnt leave me wanting more cake. Therefore there isn't any point eating a small piece of cake. Therefore i might as well not bother at all.

But i do quite want some cake.
  • mrpon 2 Nov 2018 16:40:55 34,777 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    A nice bit of battenburg?
  • THFourteen 2 Nov 2018 16:45:05 49,987 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    A nice bit of battenburg?
    Nah, something fucking tasty like a massive warm chocolate brownie with chocolate ice cream and chocolate sauce.

And i forgot to bring my dark chocolate in to work today so i didnt even have a snack at 4pm now i'm super grumpy.

Luckily i have no money on my card or i would have caved at the vending machine.
  • Derblington 2 Nov 2018 16:51:07 31,162 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I need to start my new diet next week. I don't want to, but I need to.
    And it probably won't even be that bad - I'm not doing anything crazy, just lowering calories and making smarter food choices.

I think I just don't want to cook.
  • Derblington 6 Nov 2018 13:43:16 31,162 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    So, yeah. Day 2 of the new eating plan and I'm already bored.
    It's not actually difficult and I don't feel hungry, I just like "bad" foods.

I'm sure I'll get used to it in a week or two.
  • The_Goon 6 Nov 2018 14:01:48 1,069 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    What is the eating plan exactly?...
  • THFourteen 6 Nov 2018 14:03:18 49,987 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The_Goon wrote:
    I imagine its similar to the one i was on, i.e. stop eating shit.

Problem is shit is tasty :-(
  • challenge_hanukkah 6 Nov 2018 14:04:39 8,395 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    The_Goon wrote:
    I imagine its similar to the one i was on, i.e. stop eating shit.

Problem is shit is tasty :-(
    I always knew you were coprophagic.
  • Derblington 6 Nov 2018 15:41:03 31,162 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Something like that :)

I've worked out my calories to drop weight, and I'm cutting out the sugary/carby snacks.

I train semi-fasted at lunch. I eat a couple of pieces of fruit before training, to ensure liver glycogen is optimal.
    After training I eat some more fruit and some protein to prevent catabolism (the protein is just to make it easier to consume my daily amount).
    I snack on whole food fats in the afternoon - nuts or peanut butter on rice cakes.
    And then I have the majority of my calories, and all starchy carbs (rice or potatoes), in the evening for dinner, a few hours before bed so that the digestion doesn't impact my sleep.

Cheat meals one or two evenings (separated) a week.
    And that's it.
  • The_Goon 7 Nov 2018 08:19:21 1,069 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Found some potential second hand gym equipment (rack and weights). Possible to transport in an SUV (with back seats down) or am I looking at needing to hire a van?
  • ozthegweat 7 Nov 2018 08:34:24 2,069 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Depends on the depth of the van. The barbell bar is 220cm, and the longest parts of the rack most likely are around that as well.
  • THFourteen 7 Nov 2018 08:35:02 49,987 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The_Goon wrote:
    Found some potential second hand gym equipment (rack and weights). Possible to transport in an SUV (with back seats down) or am I looking at needing to hire a van?
    Power Rack? Mine would not fit in an SUV i don't think tbh.

Ask the guy to measure it?

Edited by THFourteen at 08:35:12 07-11-2018
  • THFourteen 7 Nov 2018 09:03:30 49,987 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    In other news, I've pretty much hit goal weight - weighed in at 11st 0.6lbs this morning. I actually did weigh in at that on Thursday but thought it was a duff reading, especially as weighed in at 11.3 on Monday morning after scoffing a HUGE pizza and everyone else's leftovers and sticky toffee pudding on sunday.

Will start slowly adding calories back to my daily intake. Intending to keep some aspects of my diet for a while though, e.g. not eating cakes and sweets all the time.
  • The_Goon 7 Nov 2018 09:12:55 1,069 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    The_Goon wrote:
    Power Rack? Mine would not fit in an SUV i don't think tbh.

Ask the guy to measure it?
    Itís the same one you have. Measures at 216cm I believe so, given the bar length, Iíll probably need a van with a cabin length of around 250cm to be safe. Will add at least £70 to the price so itís around £670 for the cage, weights and bench. Not sure the saving of a couple of hundred is worth the lack of warranty and faff of transporting; just keen to keep cost as low as possible in case home gyming doesnít work out for me.

Congrats on hitting goal weight. Not weighed myself in a while...
  • ozthegweat 7 Nov 2018 13:08:43 2,069 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Currently, I have a 30mm barbell (180cm, 10kg, fixed sleeves) with 30mm plates that I bought a while ago. Now I'm nearing a point where I'm running out of plates to add and I need to buy more. I could:
    A. buy two 20kg/45lb 30mm plates
    B. buy an entire new set of 50mm barbell and plates

The second option is much more expensive of course, but my understanding is that 50mm barbells are preferable. I'm guessing the main benefit are the rotating sleeves and their effect on the wrists?

At which point does it become "necessary" to use a 50mm barbell? Is there some rule like "up to 150kg it doesn't really matter, but above that avoid 30mm barbells"?
  • Derblington 7 Nov 2018 15:38:10 31,162 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Google the bar for the weight it can take. Obviously a decent 20kg oly bar is going to serve you for a really long time.
    You'll likely outgrow a smaller, thinner bar through dead lifting as you'll need more weight than it'll hold.
  • Frogofdoom 7 Nov 2018 15:40:07 10,557 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    You can get a York beefy bar that will hold up to 150kg and use your existing plates.
  • ozthegweat 7 Nov 2018 18:28:42 2,069 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I looked it up on the website I bought the bar from. There's no mention of the max weight it can take. It was also quite cheap (about 60 quid). I bought it at a time where I didn't know a lot about lifting and equipment.

I think the sensible thing to do is to start anew and buy quality stuff this time.
  • Derblington 7 Nov 2018 18:38:10 31,162 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    If you want to get to heavy weights, yeah, that's the smart option.
  • Derblington 8 Nov 2018 09:54:50 31,162 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    2.5kg loss this week so far. Obviously faster than intended but I think it'll slow over the next couple of weeks, and honestly I've got a lot to go so I'm alright with it at the moment.
  • the_milkybar_kid 8 Nov 2018 10:10:39 7,679 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Nearing 2 weeks off from the gym after having the snip, feel like a right blob. It's nice not to have a constant ache somewhere or another but it's starting to piss me off now. Bollocks still haven't healed properly yet so can't take the risk.
  • The_Goon 8 Nov 2018 10:27:54 1,069 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    the_milkybar_kid wrote:
    Nearing 2 weeks off from the gym after having the snip, feel like a right blob. It's nice not to have a constant ache somewhere or another but it's starting to piss me off now. Bollocks still haven't healed properly yet so can't take the risk.
    Stopped doing bollock raises myself a while ago. Full body exercises are better.
  • the_milkybar_kid 8 Nov 2018 10:53:00 7,679 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    You haven't lived if you haven't raised 2 plates a bollock.
  • ozthegweat 8 Nov 2018 19:14:49 2,069 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I recommend icing them until you're able to fit them through the plate hole in the middle, then warming them up with a blow dryer or some farts. Who needs barbells for squats? Ballbells is where it's at.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.