Following Exercise advice and weight loss Page 6

• The-Bodybuilder 22 Jul 2007 20:39:30 17,871 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    Anyone know whtat that creatin stuff is like?

I was thinking about picking some up as it's supposed to give you big muscles.

Creatine (to put it simply) merely fills your muscles with creatine phosphate, and intracellular water.

Don't listen to the jibberish of people saying it's steroids. You can naturally get protein from a high red meat diet, something that was done in the past but not these days.

Creatine Monohydrate is also the safest known supplement after protein powder, with over 50 years worth of research and no negative effects (except for a little bloating for some people.

If you have your diet and training in check, then it's a great supplement. If you haven't, then it won't make such a huge difference.

Edited by The Bodybuilder at 20:40:34 22-07-2007
  • Psychotext 22 Jul 2007 20:53:42 70,571 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The Bodybuilder wrote:
    Creatine Monohydrate is also the safest known supplement after protein powder, with over 50 years worth of research and no negative effects (except for a little bloating for some people.
    It has been known to flare up pre-existing kidney problems because it puts extra strain on them. No proven link that it actually causes kidney damage though.
  • The-Bodybuilder 22 Jul 2007 21:13:36 17,871 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    The Bodybuilder wrote:
    It has been known to flare up pre-existing kidney problems because it puts extra strain on them. No proven link that it actually causes kidney damage though.

Yep. The last sentence being key.
  • Derblington 22 Jul 2007 21:58:43 35,099 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    groovemeister wrote:
    Psychotext wrote:
    train either whole body or upper/lower body. 90% of people DO NOT need to use a split routine (like monday is chest day, tuesday is biceps day, e.t.c.)
    Rule 1: Ďupper body junkiesí look ridiculous with sparrow legs. Also, lower body exercises like deads and squats demand so much more testosterone to grow that it increases the overall anabolic environment of the body. Meaning bigger all over. As well as that, itís good for the whole body to be exercised, plain and simple.
    Rule 2: Training with splits. This depends on goals and intensity. If you are doing training to failure you donít want to be working a muscle more than 1x a week unless itís a small one like the calf or forearm.
    FWIW I think he was saying that per workout you either work the whole body or do 1 day upper, 1 day lower, etc, as opposed to a proper split workout, not *just* upper or lower.
  • Sid-Nice 22 Jul 2007 22:03:28 15,848 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    This is getting out of hand; Wayne doesn't want to be Mr Blobby nor does he want to be Mr Universe.

Edited by Sid Nice at 22:04:03 22-07-2007
  • Snuffb0t 22 Jul 2007 22:08:43 506 posts
    Seen 8 years ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I've heard that this is the best thing for polishing your guns.
  • MrWorf 22 Jul 2007 22:19:34 64,172 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 20 years ago
    The Bodybuilder wrote:
    Razz wrote:

Creatine (to put it simply) merely fills your muscles with creatine phosphate, and intracellular water.

Don't listen to the jibberish of people saying it's steroids. You can naturally get protein from a high red meat diet, something that was done in the past but not these days.

If you have your diet and training in check, then it's a great supplement. If you haven't, then it won't make such a huge difference.

You sir are a God amongst men.

Thank you. :))
  • Psychotext 22 Jul 2007 22:53:25 70,571 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Groovemeister... your quoting seems to be attributing posts to me that I didn't actually make!

On the subject of creatine, I can show you just as many studies that say the opposite to that one. That again is why sports science is generally shit... and I still don't know why I bothered finishing my degree. = /

[Edit - I'll be clear again though. Increased strain, not damage unless you're already on the way]

Edited by Psychotext at 22:57:10 22-07-2007
  • The-Bodybuilder 22 Jul 2007 23:41:25 17,871 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    This thread is getting out of hand (my fault really).

Groovemeister, you've helped a lot of people here, so I don't want to lay into your post (I don't know were to start.
    To be frank, if I started, this thread will probably end up as a dissertation of physiology or something.

So I'll leave you to it.

P.S: Pre-brekkie training is not new, but is infact quite VERY old.
  • The-Bodybuilder 22 Jul 2007 23:42:33 17,871 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    The Bodybuilder wrote:
    Razz wrote:

You sir are a God amongst men.

Thank you. :))

No probs.
    I heard some golfer mention steroids and creatine under the same breath, which is crazy beyond belief.
  • pistol 23 Jul 2007 14:10:30 13,018 posts
    Seen 8 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    catterz wrote:
    I managed to shift 3 stone in 6 months before. My tip? Eat lots of Polos.

Nah, seriously... I did lose 3 stone in 6 months by just eating sensibly. No extra exercise than I'd usually get, just 2 or 3 sensible meals a day. usually consisted of a bowl of cereal or a couple of slices of toast for breakfast. A sandwich for lunch (whatever filling you won't but keep it small-ish). 4 slices of bread is fine unless you pack a pig inside. And then whatever I felt like for dinner, always hot; pizza, fajitas, fatty shit, greasy shit, whatever. Your body needs a little of that crap so it doesn't stock up on it.

Seems a lot of bread to me. Have you thought about something else instead?
  • pistol 23 Jul 2007 14:12:02 13,018 posts
    Seen 8 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Syrok wrote:
    My body doesn't seem to work like everyone elses. The more I exercise the more weight I gain. If I exercise less I lose weight.
    Get your body fat tested. It's easy to pay too much attention to actual weight when body fat is a more important measurement.

Great advice from groove btw, well worth reading if anyone wants to learn more. Oh, and beans are f*ck*ng ace. I got so sick of eating meat when I was actively trying to build muscle but beans give you loads of goodness. =)

Edited by Psychotext at 22:14:43 20-07-2007

In my bodybuilding days I pretty much lives on egg (whites only), tuna, chicken and turkey for my protien.
  • pistol 23 Jul 2007 14:16:20 13,018 posts
    Seen 8 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Salaman wrote:
    Groovemeister, I have access to a gym but fuck me I don't enjoy the gym.
    The gym routine they give you is pretty much
    - do some cycling/running/rowing
    - do some more cycling/weird stepping machine stuff
    - work on a few muscle groups on machines (upper legs, arms, back, whatever really)
    - do some sit-up style stuff

It's just all so dreadfully boring. I take about 45-60 minutes but from about 30 secs in I hate, am bored and want to quit. So it's probably no surprise I never manage to keep it up for more than a few weeks.

I do a lot of travelling for work, so it also breaks up any routing I try to enforce upon myself.

So forget the gym. I'd rather get into some different routing which I can so without getting into a gym.

I play badminton and once it starts again in September I'll make an effort to as much as I can (it;s 3 nights a week but I often can't make one due to travel). It gives you a good workout sort off but it's not really a sustained regular something like the rowing/running/cycling crap.
    Is it good enough though?

Oh .. goals wise, I'm not too concerned about weight. I have moved on from the neolithic, so I've no idea how many stone I wiegh. I weigh 73 Kg for 1.71m. At 18 i was about 63. That crept up to 65 in my early 20s. 68 in my mid 20s. 70 in my late 20s and I as I broke 30, the start of a small belly appeared, so I want to lose a little bit of weight and get rid of that.

BGiE once posted something interesting. He claimed that with people who sit all day (like me) the muscles at the front of your leg are constantly under some tension, which pulls on the pelvis and makes it tilt forward a fraction. This stretches the stomach muscles and compresses the lower spine causing lower back problems and a flabby stomach.
    It seems to be spot on for me, so the badminton should give the spine a bit of a workout after all the sitting on my ass. (lots of rotation and movement).

Right, so that's my goal really. Regain my stomach muscles which seem to have walked out and lose a small amount of weight. Is a consistently but rather small routine enough to try and achieve this? For example doing x amount of sit ups every night before bed or is that just a waste of time?
    Any other recommendations for simple things one can do when one is not inclined to go to the gym?
    I have a good spot where I can "hang" so I can for example hang and pull my knees up as well. I was sort of hoping a few of those little things some badminton, some knee/ups, some sit ups every week/day can make a bit of a difference if you stick to it long enough.

God that's long ^^
    Thanks for any words of wisdom you can share. :-)

It really doesn't matter what you do, as long as it keeps your heart rate high enough for the body to burn the bodyfat. I'm a tennis player at County level and I'm very "match fit", but that doesn't necessarily mean I will burn a lot of bodyfat, because tennis, like badminton, is an an-areobic sport. You might feel knackered after a long match but you won't burn much bodyfat because the heart-rate doesn't get high enough. That's why I suppliment my tennis (when I can) with a bit of tradmill running, rowing, skipping and cycling. I'll do the odd free-weight workout at home for upper bosy strength, but not loads.

Edited by pistol at 15:04:20 23-07-2007

Edited by pistol at 15:05:06 23-07-2007
  • Psychotext 23 Jul 2007 14:23:51 70,571 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    pistol wrote:
    In my bodybuilding days I pretty much lives on egg (whites only), tuna, chicken and turkey for my protien.
    Yeah... got so f*ck*ng sick of turkey and tuna. Can't touch tuna now, makes me feel physically ill.

Great stuff though.
  • pistol 23 Jul 2007 14:32:45 13,018 posts
    Seen 8 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    groovemeister wrote:
    Psychotext wrote:
    groovemeister wrote:
    Sorry, gotta stop you there. Maximuscle is highly overpriced. All-in-1 has a very cheap option: http://www.sports-nutrition.net/store.php?sub=3&id=19 as does MyProtein: http://www.myprotein.co.uk/bulk-supplies/unflavoured-whey/21-07-2007
    Yeah, I did say they're expensive. I've heard a lot of horror stories about cheaper places packing their powders with all sorts of filler rather than quality ingredients.

But yeah, if you find someone you can trust and they're cheaper then obviously go with them. =)
    Yes, it's more the high-street places that are bad for this. Meal shakes that are pricy I find are worse for this anyway.

Whey is relatively cheap to produce so if it's not something like a 97% isolate I see no reason not to buy it. MyProtein even has quality filtering certificates from independent testing - I also find theirs tastes better.

Megapocalypse wrote:
    Holland and Barret stock the big tubs of Body Fortress Whey Protein for about a tenner. Tastes good too. :)
    No, no, no NO! This is what I mentioned SPECIFICALLY on the previous page and addressed in the above point. I ws on this stuff when I started and changed it to another whey because I had gut ache, wind and the squits. I have had numerous people complain of lose stools and wind as well as gut ache. Before they've even told me, I've guessed that the whey they're on if H&B, and I have been right. Each. And. Every. Time.

Avoid this stuff like the plague. Seriously.

hypernova wrote:
    groovemeister wrote:
    Slower pace = better fat burning. Obviously not too slow as you'll burn nothing then, but to give you an idea, I go for 45 mins empty stomach. To sustain that, you need to go slow enough to not burn out. I'd say 30 mins is fine.

65% max heart rate is what's advocated, but if you're running and not on a machine that is hard to figure out.

This is the bit that I find difficult at the gym. How do run slowly? Surely that's jogging, or even fast walking?
    Jogging. Light to medium pace.

If ever you go to a gym and use a cardio machine which monitors heart rate, your max heart rate should be 220-your age; you want 65% of the answer, e.g. I'm 25. My MHR = 220-25=195. 65% of this is 126.75. So 125-130 is target heart rate.

Calculate that and when you have the opportunity, you'll be able to gauge it.

220 - your age is rough guide but you can get more accurate than that.

http://www.primusweb.com/fitnesspartner/library/activity/thr.htm
  • pistol 23 Jul 2007 14:50:15 13,018 posts
    Seen 8 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Groovemeister... your quoting seems to be attributing posts to me that I didn't actually make!

On the subject of creatine, I can show you just as many studies that say the opposite to that one. That again is why sports science is generally shit... and I still don't know why I bothered finishing my degree. = /

[Edit - I'll be clear again though. Increased strain, not damage unless you're already on the way]

Edited by Psychotext at 22:57:10 22-07-2007

lol...

I also did a Sports Science degree as I originally wanted to be either a physio or nutritionist.
  • pistol 23 Jul 2007 15:06:15 13,018 posts
    Seen 8 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    pistol wrote:
    Yeah... got so f*ck*ng sick of turkey and tuna. Can't touch tuna now, makes me feel physically ill.

Great stuff though.

Yeah, know what you mean. It's so quick and easy to make though. I still eat it now but i know ex-gym mates who like you, cannot stand it now.
  • Tommyc352 24 Jul 2007 09:24:13 1,293 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Groovemeister, you still giving personal advice, or have you got sick of the requests yet?
  • Tommyc352 24 Jul 2007 12:20:03 1,293 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Ok, ive got some weight to lose, about 3 stone in total

5 11" and currently weigh in at around 14.5 - 15 stone (although I don't have a massive gut, and I was skinny at around 13 stone)

Anyway I want to drop the weight as quickly (but in a healthy way) as possible. On top of that I want to add some muscle(not too much though)

I have a set of free weights, but would rather have a plan for home rather then the gym, as I hate them with a passion to be honest.

Diet wise I can eat anything, so if you can give me some suggestions on that front id really appreciate them

Cheers!
  • pistol 24 Jul 2007 12:26:26 13,018 posts
    Seen 8 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    groovemeister wrote:
    Go right ahead, shoot your load on me.

Pistol, IMO it is just about keeping things interesting. Eat the same meals and you will get fed up.

Oh I completely agree.
  • Telepathic.Geometry 24 Jul 2007 12:33:56 12,422 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    groovemeister, could you please explain how smooth muscle works. It seems that the Tai Chi guys have built up a tremendous amounts of it in all sorts of weird places, and I'm curious about it. Cheers buddy... :)
  • Telepathic.Geometry 24 Jul 2007 13:00:26 12,422 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Smooth muscle is in the organs alright, but it's my understanding that it's all over the place in the body too. Deep internal muscles, sometimes called long muscles by my teacher too. The really good Tai Chi guys generally have (apart from gigantic quads) what looks like a swimring around their stomachs which is all muscle (o_0) and something similar around their shoulders and back. No pictures I'm afraid.
  • Tommyc352 24 Jul 2007 14:04:52 1,293 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Cheers Groovemeister
    in answer to your questions..

I sit behind a desk from about 9-5, but its on the 2nd flr so I take the stairs

Trying to get out and about in the evening, even if its just walking around the village that I live in.

No pull up bar, only the free weights, and no bench either, only live in a 2 bed semi and there isn't much room for that so I won't have one in the long term.

I am thinking about joining the local gym due to the lack of equipment, but would ideally like to avoid it if possible

Thanks very much for the advice so far tho!
  • Dougs 24 Jul 2007 14:12:49 100,274 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Telepathic.Geometry wrote:
    Smooth muscle is in the organs alright, but it's my understanding that it's all over the place in the body too. Deep internal muscles, sometimes called long muscles by my teacher too. The really good Tai Chi guys generally have (apart from gigantic quads) what looks like a swimring around their stomachs which is all muscle (o_0) and something similar around their shoulders and back. No pictures I'm afraid.

Doesn't sound familiar from my similarly weak Sports Science degree, except that organs are made up of smooth muscle, as you say. The rest is striated, as far as I can remember (it was 11 years ago I graduated though!). Is it not just the major muscle groups that they develop, but because of the way Tai Chi tones muscle, it develops slightly differently to when using weights etc (which is generally on a damage/growth pattern - may have been mentioned elsewhere).

/desperately tries to dreg the memory banks of useful info.

Oh, and Tommy - remember that muscle weighs more than fat, so don't get despondant if you don't lose weight - losing fat and developing the muscles is more important.
  • Tommyc352 24 Jul 2007 15:03:41 1,293 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Yeah, when I was at my 13 stone peak, it was put down to my muscle mass as the reason why I was heavier then expected, I just don't want to get a titus bramble backside with all this office work & cakes for various celebrations etc...

Edited by Tommyc352 at 15:04:20 24-07-2007
  • Tommyc352 24 Jul 2007 15:46:54 1,293 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Ok, ill purchase a bench sharpish, will let you know total disc weight when I get home. Not much walking so class it as a desk all day job.

Regarding the house we have a lodger monday - thursday but the lounge is big enough so ill do it in there without interupting my gf's addiction to Eastender's etc

Thanks for all your advice, ive learnt more here on this thread than I ever did when I went to the gym

Cheers
  • pistol 24 Jul 2007 15:56:36 13,018 posts
    Seen 8 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Tommyc352 wrote:
    Ok, ill purchase a bench sharpish, will let you know total disc weight when I get home. Not much walking so class it as a desk all day job.

Regarding the house we have a lodger monday - thursday but the lounge is big enough so ill do it in there without interupting my gf's addiction to Eastender's etc

Thanks for all your advice, ive learnt more here on this thread than I ever did when I went to the gym

Cheers

Gyms are good but they can be confusing. I've spent a lot of years in them and they are full of people who have no clue what they're doing. I was lucky enough to start out in a brilliant gym but it was more focused on hardcore bodybuilding than anything else. Yes there were a few numptys and meatheads but the majority knew exactly what they were doing and I learned a lot. I no longer live that sort of life but I'm glad I did it. It taught me so much about how the body works, how it responds to different foods and training techniques.
  • PearOfAnguish 24 Jul 2007 16:18:44 7,573 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Tuna p[ancake. Eggs, tuna, oats and onions. Put in a frying pan. Dribble of olive oil, and spread across the pan with spatuyla. Cook the bottom the stick under grill to finish off. Can have with toast as well. De-fucking-licious. Try it, my whole family is hooked on this.

Cottage cheese, eggs, tomato puree, chopped tomatoes, oregano (optional). In a frying pan, no oil needed. Stir until excess liquid evaporates (or pour it down sink)

Tuna salad, tuna and pasta, tuna and jacket (obviously can use chicken, etc also), stir fry with olive oil - easy.

Chicken omelette - eggs, chicken. Chopped tomatoes get my vote here as well.

Quark. With fruit, sweetener, flavouring, Cadbury's highlights, you name it. (It's sort of like a thick yoghurt but is classed as a cheese - ubt tastes nothing like cheese at all, look for it in the soft cheese section of supermarket, only 50p odd a tub).

This is really useful. The few times I've tried to lose weight I got stuck on what to eat.

What about the quantity of each ingredient though? How much tuna, chicken, oats (in a pancake?) etc?
  • JoeBlade 24 Jul 2007 16:31:26 6,195 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Somewhat of a more specific dietary question: I've recently begun exercising again, mainly to feel fitter and build up some muscle/lose some weight although the latter are secondary to me.
    It's all fairly easy-going for now but I do hope to gradually build up my stamina and strength again (hmm, I make it sound like an RPG there :)

Anyhow, my concrete point is I don't eat meat at all. So not just red meat but no poultry, chicken stock or similar meat-based products either.
    Anything else is fine though; I do eat fish & seafood for example, albeit in relatively limited amounts.

Is there anything specific I should pay attention to in my diet? Should I include replacements for specific nutrients I might be missing out on and if so, which & how would I best go about it?
  • pistol 24 Jul 2007 16:45:10 13,018 posts
    Seen 8 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    JoeBlade wrote:
    Somewhat of a more specific dietary question: I've recently begun exercising again, mainly to feel fitter and build up some muscle/lose some weight although the latter are secondary to me.
    It's all fairly easy-going for now but I do hope to gradually build up my stamina and strength again (hmm, I make it sound like an RPG there :)

Anyhow, my concrete point is I don't eat meat at all. So not just red meat but no poultry, chicken stock or similar meat-based products either.
    Anything else is fine though; I do eat fish & seafood for example, albeit in relatively limited amounts.

Is there anything specific I should pay attention to in my diet? Should I include replacements for specific nutrients I might be missing out on and if so, which & how would I best go about it?

As long as you're getting a blanced diet you can get your protien from loads of different sources. Fish being one of them.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.