Exercise advice and weight loss Page 531

• Dougs 5 Jul 2019 18:34:26 90,196 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    It's an oven sloppy guiseppe. 666 cals. The devil indeed! (Who am I kidding, laziness always wins out!)
  • Gunzberg 6 Jul 2019 09:47:35 2,719 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Remember when you are sleeping and when you are in the gym, thou are not stuffing your face.

So maximise the above times. Lack of sleep is an easy path to....

... fat!

Edited by Gunzberg at 09:48:02 06-07-2019
  • THFourteen 6 Jul 2019 11:07:36 52,785 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Gunzberg

Unless i went to sleep at 9pm every day, that's one thing i can do nothing about.
  • Gunzberg 7 Jul 2019 10:18:14 2,719 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @THFourteen :-)
  • THFourteen 7 Jul 2019 10:22:21 52,785 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Put on 3 pounds yesterday. Lol.
  • adamasunder12 7 Jul 2019 11:31:20 613 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    I was doing really well this week. Smashed three sessions in the gym by Wednesday then failed to return the rest of the week. Did watch what I ate though until last night when I went to my friend's bbq after work, got stoned and proceeded to eat a half a loaf of toast with thick butter in bed.

Now up for work again, feel really monged and heavy :D.

Back at the gym tomorrow then to punish myself for my sins.
  • adamasunder12 7 Jul 2019 11:33:08 613 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    Although I did get groped by a girl I sort of fancy. She was 'getting a fly of my chest' but had to cop a feel. Probably the manliest I've ever felt. :D
  • Derblington 7 Jul 2019 12:03:44 31,872 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Dropped 2.3kgs since Monday. More than intended, especially considering I didn't do any cardio (I like to get one or two HIIT sessions in general) and over-ate 2 days, which is mostly intentional but I went a bit too far.

Will throw some cardio in this week and see where I end up at the end of it, and then maybe increase my calories a little for next week.
  • Derblington 7 Jul 2019 12:07:42 31,872 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    And I'm gonna go and buy a pack of cookies to sit and devour on a boring, gym-free, Sunday, playing games and doing laundry.
  • Psychotext 7 Jul 2019 12:23:46 65,469 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Kebab last night. Helped with the weight gain. :)
  • Syrette 7 Jul 2019 12:31:10 50,304 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Psychotext

Do you use any supplements?
  • Psychotext 7 Jul 2019 14:32:32 65,469 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Only when I'm training.

I did buy mass builder stuff, but I wasn't able to have that yesterday as my wife wasn't around to make it (hence ordering a kebab).
  • adamasunder12 7 Jul 2019 14:49:42 613 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    @Derblington Good effort mate.

I won't beat myself about my purge but my stomach doesn't like me. Too much rich food makes my arse like a broken bus seat.
  • elstoof 7 Jul 2019 17:30:00 23,911 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Why couldnít you make your own mass gainer?
  • Psychotext 7 Jul 2019 19:05:21 65,469 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Why couldnít you make your own mass gainer?
    Have you ever tried doing anything vaguely complex whilst standing on one leg and trying to keep your crutches attached to your arms / leaning against something nearby?

Also, because I have money. I can pay people for products rather than trying to DIY everything.
  • elstoof 7 Jul 2019 19:13:16 23,911 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Wasnít having a pop, was genuinely curious
  • The_Goon 7 Jul 2019 21:22:26 1,349 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    Dropped 2.3kgs since Monday. More than intended, especially considering I didn't do any cardio (I like to get one or two HIIT sessions in general) and over-ate 2 days, which is mostly intentional but I went a bit too far.

Will throw some cardio in this week and see where I end up at the end of it, and then maybe increase my calories a little for next week.
    Ok what the deuce are you doing?! What kind of deficit have you got going to achieve that?
  • Psychotext 7 Jul 2019 21:36:15 65,469 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    For what it's worth, I did used to make my own pre-workout, mostly by virtue of the commercial ones putting all sorts of unnecessary shit into them. (and getting the doses completely fucked up on all the other shit)
  • The_Goon 8 Jul 2019 06:33:29 1,349 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    elstoof wrote:
    For what it's worth, I did used to make my own pre-workout, mostly by virtue of the commercial ones putting all sorts of unnecessary shit into them. (and getting the doses completely fucked up on all the other shit)
    I think he was asking about why you needed your wife to make your gainer rather than why you didnít make your own gainer mixture.
  • thelzdking 8 Jul 2019 06:42:49 9,515 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    He doesn't want to burn any calories making the gainer.
  • elstoof 8 Jul 2019 07:57:22 23,911 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah, I was thinking itís just some sort of milkshake powder you shake up
  • Derblington 8 Jul 2019 08:30:15 31,872 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The_Goon wrote:
    Ok what the deuce are you doing?! What kind of deficit have you got going to achieve that?
    Eating 1800 calories a day, focusing on getting "enough" protein (I aim for 150-160g per day, which is less than 1g/lb and seems to see me fine).
    I don't eat breakfast, and other than fruit around my workout I get all my carbs in the evening meal. Stay hydrated (I typically will use a effervescent fluid replacement tablet after my workout to try to help replace anything lost too.
    Up to twice a week I eat more than that, basically changing my evening meal to whatever I want to eat/drink but sticking with fruit, fats and protein through the day. I normally do Friday (which means I can grab a burger or pizza after work and get some drinks in) and any other non-consecutive day if I feel like it.

Lift 4 days a week using my own GZCL-focused routine. I want to get HIIT cardio in on two days too, though I might just add 20 minutes walking on all 4 days until I actually need the help from cardio to get further into a deficit.

That's yer lot. Nothing unusual or difficult if you're already tracking cals and hitting the gym.
  • ozthegweat 8 Jul 2019 08:52:54 2,266 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    focusing on getting "enough" protein (I aim for 150-160g per day, which is less than 1g/lb and seems to see me fine).
    I don't know your bodyfat percentage, but above 25-30% the target is 1g per pound of lean body mass.

Edited by ozthegweat at 08:53:07 08-07-2019
  • Derblington 8 Jul 2019 09:10:26 31,872 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I don't know it either but that amount would sit me around 70kg which I think is still low for the recommended amount (I'm around 6'2 and broad too).
    To be fair my protein target in MFP is 180 but as long as I hit between 150-160 I stop worrying about it.
  • The_Goon 8 Jul 2019 10:58:20 1,349 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Derblington Cheers. That's interesting. Your gym routine must be pretty solid.

I did my third GZCLP workout (OHP) this morning. Was easy enough for the moment and I managed to bust it all out in about 30 minutes actually because I was able to cut down the rest times quite a bit. Added a bit of abs work at the end to make up the time. I swapped Bench and OHP and wondering whether I need to change it back so I'm not doing the same exercises two workouts in a row. Currently doing 3 days a week and may consider 4 days but it's not always easy with the school run. GZCL already feels like a better programme than 5x5. Not nearly as boring and I'm far less concerned with trying to make sure my numbers are always rising.

Are you able to provide a bit of insight into T3 lifts though? I appreciate they are supposed to be accessory lifts but not sure what I would add to my workouts especially like today when I completed the 'main' workout so quickly. I've read about using them to shore up your 'weaknesses' but it's not always been clear what they're for.
  • Derblington 8 Jul 2019 13:23:17 31,872 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The T3's are the typical bodybuilder hypertrophy stuff, and can be used for prehab/rehab and bringing up lagging parts by just focusing on things that the T1 and 2 are already hitting for more volume. Typically they're isolation movements, so anything single-limb, like dumbbell curls, tricep kickback/pushdowns, shoulder work, leg extensions, core work and whathaveyou. Ultimately they can be anything you like as long as you obey the weight/rep structure - keep them light and high rep to get the pump - keep each rep at a steady tempo and focus on the mind-muscle connection.
    Typically they're set up as 2 or 3 different movements, with 3-5 sets at max/15 reps, with 60 seconds rest. You can superset them or whatever you like, and that way they take care of your cardio too.

T1s are primarily to get familiar with moving weight, the reps are low and the weight is higher. Form is everything - each rep should be "perfect". Take time to set up correctly, big held breath and complete focus.
    T2s are to support the 1 movements and muscle groups but is actually where the most work is done. Again, solid form and try to move the weight as explosively as possible in the concentric movement (this is a big developer of strength increase. Aim for it in the T1s too but it's harder) and keep the eccentric stable.

edit:
    T1s are the core compound lifts: squats, bench, deads and OHP - any variation of each. Don't do unfamiliar movements here though because the risk of injury is high with heavier loads. Build them up in T2s first.
    T2s are the same movements but use a variant to support the main lifts. Include pauses, deficits, rack pulls, and other techniques as well. Everything that will assist the increase of the main lifts.

If you're only doing 3 days, I'd do OHP as a T2 and keep deads as the T1. Add in some lateral raises and rear flyes/facepulls in T3s for general shoulder development and health. Facepulls are winners - I include them in every session in all honesty, between sets or at the end. Low weight, high reps and just bang 'em out.

Edited by Derblington at 13:42:03 08-07-2019
  • The_Goon 9 Jul 2019 08:12:39 1,349 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Cheers, mate. Thatís helpful.

Made protein porridge this morning. Tastes chalky as all fuckery. Think I cocked it up somehow...
  • Psychotext 9 Jul 2019 08:59:57 65,469 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    In my experience, most protein supplement foods taste awful. Eating them becomes a true sign of how dedicated you are to the cause. :D
  • elstoof 9 Jul 2019 09:03:53 23,911 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    In my experience theyíre also largely pointless, unless youíre properly big already and still trying to gain
  • fontgeeksogood 9 Jul 2019 09:08:36 6,737 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    What's wrong with regular porridge

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.