Exercise advice and weight loss Page 539

• Derblington 9 Aug 2019 14:28:20 31,892 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    In terms of macro split, there is no correct split. There are guidelines but everyone is different. You should spend a little time figuring out if you prefer/work better on high/low fat/carb.

Unless you're very overweight, a drop of 400 cals daily plus exercise may be too extreme. I'd taper back the exercise, or eat a bit more and see how you fair. The goal with weight loss should be to lose slowly on as much food and as little exercise as possible. Otherwise when you plateau you have no room to adjust and you'll just begin to starve yourself.
    Which is something you may be experiencing, depending on how hard your calorie burn through the gym is, in which case your body will just hold what it has for as long as possible.
  • The_Goon 9 Aug 2019 16:06:29 1,350 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Well 10lbs over a 4 month period is pretty great. I've barely dropped 2kg in the same period although I've not been nearly regimented enough.

Might it not also be the case that he is building muscle at roughly the same rate he's losing fat which will also appear as a plateau?
  • Derblington 9 Aug 2019 16:35:10 31,892 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I think that'd be unlikely considering the aggressive deficit.
  • The_Goon 9 Aug 2019 16:41:21 1,350 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    I think that'd be unlikely considering the aggressive deficit.
    Ah yeah, good point.
  • ZuluHero 9 Aug 2019 17:13:04 7,533 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Derblington that makes sense. And I guess if there's less going in then it makes sense that less comes out.

I wasn't hugely overweight to begin with, 13st at 5'10" and a small build. Bmi was boardline over wieghts at 25, but don't think people guage it on that much these days.

My main goal wasn't to lose weight, though its somehow become the measure of success, just get a bit fitter and as I said I've struggled with constipation all my life (now diagnosed ibs-c) due to a mostly sedentary lifestyle, which I thought would get better after starting this, but things seem to have gotten worse.
  • Dougs 9 Aug 2019 18:02:02 90,229 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Are you drinking enough water? Sure that's an obvious one you've already thought about but just thought I'd mention it!
  • fontgeeksogood 9 Aug 2019 18:13:32 6,762 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Christ, stop eating that Huel stuff. Eat real, unprocessed, healthy food and stop obsessing over the weight numbers as the gauge of success
  • elstoof 9 Aug 2019 18:35:27 23,932 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    What could be healthier than powdered, heavily processed nutrients that have sat on a shelf for a couple of years
  • ZuluHero 9 Aug 2019 18:47:01 7,533 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Well, like I said I thought Huel might be good because it's extra liquid and has the right amount of fibre to keep things moving. It's quite convenient too and is quite filling. But it's not really having the effect I was hoping for.

Add on my weight-loss stalling - which I'm not overly fussed by other then I like being in the 'normal' bmi range, and it's just put me into a slump.
  • smoothpete 23 Aug 2019 14:12:05 35,964 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    My twat of a friend set me a squat challenge. 200 reps of 60kg in as few sets as possible. Itís quite hard even though 60kg is fuck all. I managed 40, 30, 30, 20, 20, 15, 15, 10, 10, 10
  • askew 23 Aug 2019 14:27:45 19,770 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @ZuluHero howís the pooping?
  • ZuluHero 23 Aug 2019 21:49:30 7,533 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Cut the huel out and started taking lactulose. Still a bit hit and miss (more miss).

This week for example, last went on Sunday night, and didn't go again until Thursday morning! Was a beast though, felt like I was giving birth!

Went again that evening and again this morning. I've been keeping a poop diary and It seems to be a pattern of not going on either Mondays or Tuesdays, my mum reckons it's work stress, as I work Mon-Fri so it makes sense I'm more relaxed at the end of the week and weekends.

Can't remember who asked me earlier about my fluid intake, but I've been tracking that too, I drink around 4 litres a day - that's enough, right?

Edited by ZuluHero at 23:49:28 23-08-2019
  • Kay 27 Aug 2019 15:33:15 20,157 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I've just set up a gym at home (it wasn't mine, but it's been lying dormant for years). I've got a power rack with safety bars, a couple of benches (one has the lat pull down thingy), and barbells/dumbells with every weight plate size needed. Basically, everything I need to get started.

Are there are particular websites/resources/app that are recommended for training plans, ideally ones that explain everything nice and simply with pictures/videos? I'm a skinny ectomorph with a bit of a belly now due to being very sedentary over the last couple of years, so ideally need to cut down on fat whilst filling out with a bit of muscle everywhere.

I've looked at loads of websites and videos and have a fair idea of the core compound exercises to start with, but I still find it confusing. As a relative beginner (I've never been a gym-goer, and last did any kind of weight lifting over a decade ago), I need to start off lightly and make sure my form is correct. So yeah, as much as I'm excited, I'm also incredibly worried about doing something wrong and causing injury/long-term damage.
  • smoothpete 27 Aug 2019 15:43:16 35,964 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    If you can afford it, it would be worth having at least a few sessions with a personal trainer if you're worried about your form being correct
  • smoothpete 27 Aug 2019 15:43:54 35,964 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Or do you have any gym bunny mates who could help perhaps?
  • Mr_Sleep 27 Aug 2019 16:09:17 22,776 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    ZuluHero wrote:
    Can't remember who asked me earlier about my fluid intake, but I've been tracking that too, I drink around 4 litres a day - that's enough, right?
    There is no right and wrong where concerns fluid intake. Drink when you are thirsty as that is the body's way of indicating hydration levelsa and keep an eye on the darkness of your urine. I think it is optimal to be nearly clear with a small amount of yellow.
  • adamasunder12 27 Aug 2019 16:24:21 727 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    If you can afford it, it would be worth having at least a few sessions with a personal trainer if you're worried about your form being correct
    Absolutely. Especially with free weights. Some places offer a couple of one to ones as part of the membership.

If not for help I would still be doing tricep reps completely wrong.

As an aside I have upped my gym to pretty much every day now with the odd day of rest and upped my weights. Seems I was being lazy and that's why I had plateaued.
  • smoothpete 27 Aug 2019 16:27:57 35,964 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    In today's squat news, I did 100 reps of 100kg, which was meant to be 10 sets of 10 reps but it gets FUCKING hard. Managed 5 x 10 reps then 10 x 5 reps. And was seriously sweating absolute balls by the end of it.
  • adamasunder12 27 Aug 2019 16:28:07 727 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    ZuluHero wrote:
    There is no right and wrong where concerns fluid intake. Drink when you are thirsty as that is the body's way of indicating hydration levelsa and keep an eye on the darkness of your urine. I think it is optimal to be nearly clear with a small amount of yellow.
    Also drink water when you think you may be hungry. We often eat too much because we mistake thirst for hunger.
  • adamasunder12 27 Aug 2019 16:28:53 727 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    In today's squat news, I did 100 reps of 100kg, which was meant to be 10 sets of 10 reps but it gets FUCKING hard. Managed 5 x 10 reps then 10 x 5 reps. And was seriously sweating absolute balls by the end of it.
    Jesus. I'm sweating just thinking about it.
  • Kay 27 Aug 2019 17:06:13 20,157 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    adamasunder12 wrote:
    smoothpete wrote:
    Absolutely. Especially with free weights. Some places offer a couple of one to ones as part of the membership.
    Yeah, I've thought about this, but they're pretty expensive in London, especially when you're not part of a gym. And I figured there are more than enough resources on the internet to show me how to get started.

Although... my workplace does have a gym, so I could pop down there and ask for some quick tips/advice.

Edited by Kay at 17:07:14 27-08-2019
  • smoothpete 27 Aug 2019 17:12:19 35,964 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah for sure there are a ton of online resources. If you go that route I would advise to film yourself so you can be sure your posture or whatever is correct. Itís hard to know whether youíre doing it right at the time.

Would be very helpful to get some guidance in your work gym though, good idea.
  • Derblington 27 Aug 2019 17:55:53 31,892 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    If you're just starting, go light and go slow. Learn the compound movements and then the variations, get the form right, and don't worry about isolation exercises (other than lateral raises and face pulls/pull parts, which are pretty useful). Body weight and empty bar are fine until you're comfortable.
    Don't worry about lifting more than 3x a week - you can do all the work you need in that. Gain as much as possible doing as little as possible so that you can add more, little by little as you need to.
    Work on mobility. Very few people do and everyone should.

Once you're ready for a program, look at a simple linear progression routine built around compound movements. I like GZCL LP for this but most people just say SS 5x5.
  • smoothpete 27 Aug 2019 18:04:01 35,964 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Kay do you know people who use your work gym? Iím sure someone would be happy to help you like once a week or whatever
  • Kay 27 Aug 2019 21:18:54 20,157 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yeah I know a couple of people, but I don't think they go regularly nowadays because of other commitments. But I do vaguely know some of the guys that actually work there (it's a uni gym, so a lot of the staff there are students as well), so I'm sure they'll be happy to help me out if I pop down, or even send an email.

Derblington wrote:
    If you're just starting, go light and go slow. Learn the compound movements and then the variations, get the form right, and don't worry about isolation exercises (other than lateral raises and face pulls/pull parts, which are pretty useful). Body weight and empty bar are fine until you're comfortable.
    Don't worry about lifting more than 3x a week - you can do all the work you need in that. Gain as much as possible doing as little as possible so that you can add more, little by little as you need to.
    Work on mobility. Very few people do and everyone should.

Once you're ready for a program, look at a simple linear progression routine built around compound movements. I like GZCL LP for this but most people just say SS 5x5.
    Cheers! This tallies with everything I've read. I'll definitely start off light and stick with bodyweight squats and the like. Isolation exercises do seem a bit pointless at the start. Plan is to do 3x a week in the mornings, and go for a short run on the other days. I also have a cheap exercise bike and will use that for a warmup before the weights, which I think should be fine.
  • Derblington 27 Aug 2019 22:05:46 31,892 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah, sounds good.
    There's a lot to learn if you want to lift smart but as long as you don't ego-lift from the off you'll be able to learn and apply it as you go.

Getting the form right on the basics (bench press, rows, pull-ups, front and back squats, deadlifts, overhead press) really is the priority though.
    Hit up youtube and search Jeff Nippard. He has a 'technique tuesday' series that'll cover that stuff. There are loads of resources for these but his are accurate, easily digestible and readily available.

Once you have those you can adjust to what's good for you (examples: I prefer sumo deadlifts over conventional and I'm stronger with a slightly wider grip on bench press than the beginner recommendation of 'wrists stacked over elbows') but that will come a bit later with some practice and experience.

Edited by Derblington at 22:07:46 27-08-2019
  • smoothpete 28 Aug 2019 15:48:00 35,964 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    In today's attempted suicide, I did 10 x 10 sumo deadlifts and 10 x 10 bicep curls. I quite like this 10 x 10 thing, it's hard but achievable.
  • MrFlay 28 Aug 2019 22:07:14 4,120 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Anyone do MMA or plain old boxing? I recently started doing a traditional martial art and it was really dull because they never spar. Ever. It was all very nice and ritualised but basically useless either for fitness or self-defence. I started using the punch bag at my gym and it was so satisfying to actually hit something.
  • fontgeeksogood 28 Aug 2019 22:11:56 6,762 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Yes.

Pick your sparring partners / gym carefully
  • MrFlay 28 Aug 2019 22:47:14 4,120 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @fontgeeksogood

I won't be sparring with anyone unless the coach at the MMA gym approves it. Definitely not at my regular gym.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.