Exercise advice and weight loss Page 541

• Derblington 9 Sep 2019 07:01:07 31,892 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Almost all IF guidelines tell you you can drink black tea/coffee during a fast, as the calories are so low that it shouldn't alter your state.
    The only person I've seen disagree with that was a doctor on Joe Rogan's podcast who said that literally any calories/nutrients will still trigger metabolic change in your system, and you should be only be consuming water.

If you need some coffee though, the 2-3 cals per cup is still a significant amount less than the 3-800 you'd be getting from whatever meal you skip, so it should still make adherence to your eating window much easier.
  • THFourteen 9 Sep 2019 07:22:46 52,820 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    thelzdking wrote:
    I am so off the wagon it's not even funny. I had a cold a couple of months ago and my routine went completely out of the window. I haven't been to the gym for weeks, eaten a fair amount of crap (although plenty of healthy stuff too), overeating a bit, weeknight beers etc.

I don't look like I've put that much weight on, but I need to rein it in sharpish. I've had another cold since, so as soon as I've kicked that I'm back on it. Need to make a serious go of the intermittent fasting too. Am I allowed coffee if I'm fasting intermittently?
    Same. Just too many social events at the moment plus football season started so beer and beer related overeating going on. And my wife keeping too many treats in the house so temptation too hard to resist at the moment.

Need to get back on the wagon. Taking the kids for pizza for lunch tho lol.
  • freddymercurystwin 9 Sep 2019 12:58:11 1,733 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I am one week into my new 'regime' (basically eating less and more healthily nothing complicated) after falling off the wagon really in about October 2019, once wed come back from a glorious two week holiday in the sun last year it was so darn depressing eating properly again, evenings drawing in and going back to work etc that everything slipped and then having spent much of this year in some state of angst about moving house/job changes/changing the kids schools etc etc I really wasnt in the right frame of mind for healthy eating. And my summer evening rides out via pubs have been disastrous for the cause!

Anyway though I have generally kept running twice a week throughout but with everything starting to really wobble/bounce and a general reluctance to participate with the kids activities taking hold and having to begin shopping for bigger clothes and having just had two weeks off work in the summer hols not running much, eating lunches and eating shite enough is enough. I am ready for change and I can feel something has clicked in my brain so I am there now mentally so I think this should be OK now and am looking forward to getting shot of the excess. Thats the theory anyway .
  • MrFlay 9 Sep 2019 14:03:33 4,120 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Anyone looking to eat better should read this:

https://www.intuitiveeating.org/10-principles-of-intuitive-eating/

It's used to treat eating disorders and any other kind of disordered or problematic eating based on the principle that your body knows what it needs and you should listen to it

Edited by MrFlay at 14:03:53 09-09-2019
  • challenge_hanukkah 9 Sep 2019 14:06:21 11,136 posts
    Seen 49 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    My body's telling me to eat my own weight in Drumstick Squashies, so I'm not so sure.
  • beastmaster 9 Sep 2019 14:22:38 19,401 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I had to wear my tux on Friday. Tried it on the day before and I remember it being a squeeeeze when I wore it December last year, but I just about managed. I knew Id lost weight...

Had to move both the side buttons to decrease the waist size and the pants had a lot of overhang on the shoes due to mucho reduced waistline. Everything was almost baggy. Will need to get the whole lot adjusted for December or get a new one.

Felt great!

Back in the gym this week after a month off. Not recovering from injury just had quite a lot on and also Im a lazy bastard.

Edited by beastmaster at 14:23:17 09-09-2019
  • Derblington 9 Sep 2019 14:22:52 31,892 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Those 10 steps don't really tell you enough to "eat better", and looking around the site there's nothing there that does without paying up.

Naught wrong with the principle, and it's definitely an ideal practice once you can do it. It's difficult to do solo without having good habits or knowledge of nutrition goals already.
  • MrFlay 9 Sep 2019 15:17:17 4,120 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The book is good. Nutrition is mostly bullshit. Most nutritionists are quacks who have no idea what they are talking about. The human digestive system is incredibly complicated and the whole concept of calorie counting is nonsensical. We aren't simple machines. We have a complex ecosystem of microorganisms which interact with our brains in very complicated and baffling ways. That is why two people can eat the exact same food, with the exact same activity levels and the same genes (twin studies) and have vastly different outcomes. I hope you enjoy your protein shakes and masochism because it's not for me.
  • Derblington 9 Sep 2019 15:29:35 31,892 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    That's the same with all advice - you have to recognise what's sound and what's not, and then test on yourself to see what works and what doesn't for you.

There's nothing wrong with counting calories. It's a simple system (especially with all the apps that do the majority of the work for you) but it needs to be custom to the individual (calorie goals and macro split).

It's the same with IIFYM, IF, paleo, keto and intuitive eating. None of them are better than the other; they're all just tools for dietary adherence to achieve whatever goals the individual may have. none of them are a magic formula and success is also individual.

If you like IE, cool.

Edited by Derblington at 22:05:39 09-09-2019
  • freddymercurystwin 9 Sep 2019 15:31:15 1,733 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'll just carry on eating a bit less and more healthily. :)
  • Psychotext 9 Sep 2019 21:59:46 65,469 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    First two gym sessions since the injury.

I'll say this, hobbling around with a crutch pretty much stops me worrying about what people think of my pathetic lifts!

Oh, and they had a really useful Technogym hip flexibility tester. Depressing how different both sides were, but it actually made for a safe way to get a decent stretch on my screwed side.
  • elstoof 9 Sep 2019 22:06:21 23,932 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Is Technogym from the same people who brought you Technogel
  • fontgeeksogood 9 Sep 2019 22:27:11 6,762 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Do you feel a bit suggestible when using the Technogym equipment
  • The_Goon 9 Sep 2019 22:53:40 1,350 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Been off the gym for about 3 weeks following a holiday where I ate loads without restraint and Ive somehow managed to lose a bit of weight and fat! Get in! I rejoined the gym near work though so will be going for swims and workouts during the week where possible.

Theyre opening a new Equinox gym near work which looks/sounds super plush but dont quite think I can justify it - eye watering 200+ a month...
  • Kay 11 Sep 2019 13:13:48 20,157 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Anyone use supersets when weight training? Seems like a good way to increase intensity, as well as reduce workout times in general.

Also, anyone use apps for logging workouts? Any recommended ones?
  • The_Goon 11 Sep 2019 13:32:09 1,350 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Kay wrote:
    Anyone use supersets when weight training? Seems like a good way to increase intensity, as well as reduce workout times in general.

Also, anyone use apps for logging workouts? Any recommended ones?
    I used to do supersets but don't need to on my current regime. I used to quite like them - reduce time as you say.

Re app, I quite like Liftin' (iOS) at the moment. Decent UI and cheap, although it's still a subscription affair. The main thing for me is that it caters for automatic progression/weight increases and has an Apple Watch app. Near enough perfect for my needs. There are other arguably better apps (like Strong) but its pricing is crazy for a plain logging app.

Edited by The_Goon at 15:42:17 11-09-2019
  • Vortex808 11 Sep 2019 14:11:38 13,344 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I loved supersets when I used to have time to go to the gym.

Prepare for the burn.
  • Derblington 11 Sep 2019 15:07:58 31,892 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I do supersets with all of my workouts, yeah. I superset antagonist (or dynamic) movements to all of my heavy main movers, so rows > bench, pull-ups > OHP, kettlebell swings > deadlifts, box jumps > squats.
    And I use giant sets for my secondary and tertiary lifts, incorporating conditioning, core and isolation work.

I use the Strong app for logging everything.
  • super_whiskey 15 Sep 2019 19:25:51 305 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm looking for some new gym shoes and after doing some research thinking any old trainer will do, I have now come to the realisation that there's just too much choice.

My gym activity currently consists of resistance machines, a bit of running or biking and the occasional class (cycling, abs, maybe HIIT) so I was thinking of getting an all-rounder shoe of some sort or possibly a running shoe given I'm more likely to do a bit of running on the treadmill than a HIIT class.

Plus I'm tight and thought of spending 100 on a shoe that isn't formal seems ridiculous at the moment.

Can anyone provide any further advice?
  • fontgeeksogood 15 Sep 2019 20:01:10 6,762 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Go with the running shoe if that's what you'll do most. The other exercises will be fine in them.

Personally, as a natural heel striker in the built up heel modern shoe, I prefer a minimalist heel shoe which promotes a more mid foot strike but YMMV.

If you're doing a lot of running, getting a gait analysis might be worthwhile as well in terms of injury minimising (which is what your focus should be)

Edited by fontgeeksogood at 22:18:01 15-09-2019
  • The_Goon 15 Sep 2019 22:14:49 1,350 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    ^ Agreed. Go with the running shoe and have your gait analysed so you get the right type of shoe. If I recall Runners Need pricematch so worth looking around and then buying from there if needed.

I bought a pair of Metcon 4s from Nike during they're sale which I'm pretty happy with. I needed a pair of shoes that had a flat/minimal sole for lifting and they are really well recommended. I do warm-up runs on a treadmill in them but don't think I'd dream of doing any substantial running in them.
  • Derblington 15 Sep 2019 22:29:38 31,892 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I have the Reebok equivalent to the Nike Metcons for all my gym work, be it lifting or running/cardio machines (I have a pair of squat shoes specifically for squatting though.) Good all-rounder for all indoor use.
  • super_whiskey 16 Sep 2019 20:47:23 305 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Thank you for the advice!

Looking at places that do gait analysis locally, there's one that does it for free if you buy shoes from the shop or 15 if you don't.

Looking at the shoes they have on there, they're 50+ which feels like a lot for how often I'd expect myself to go running (maybe once or twice a week if I'm optimistic?).

I get the benefit but as I said above, I'm tight. On the flip side, if i'm spending 50 on shoes to run in, i'd probably run in them more to feel like i'm getting my money's worth...
  • fontgeeksogood 16 Sep 2019 20:50:24 6,762 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    50 or 15 seems cheap to me to potentially save yourself from shin splints or worse
  • freddymercurystwin 16 Sep 2019 21:57:34 1,733 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Runners Need it's free, if you have one in your neck of the woods, not that they're all that, but it's the only running shop I have near me within about 80 miles! :(
  • Armoured_Bear 16 Sep 2019 22:42:21 27,355 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Is Technogym from the same people who brought you Technogel
    /Did someone say technogel?
  • Armoured_Bear 16 Sep 2019 22:42:34 27,355 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    That's the same with all advice - you have to recognise what's sound and what's not, and then test on yourself to see what works and what doesn't for you.

There's nothing wrong with counting calories. It's a simple system (especially with all the apps that do the majority of the work for you) but it needs to be custom to the individual (calorie goals and macro split).

It's the same with IIFYM, IF, paleo, keto and intuitive eating. None of them are better than the other; they're all just tools for dietary adherence to achieve whatever goals the individual may have. none of them are a magic formula and success is also individual.

If you like IE, cool.
    What is macro split?
  • Derblington 16 Sep 2019 23:07:34 31,892 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Ratio of macronutrients.
  • askew 16 Sep 2019 23:08:59 19,770 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Carbs, fat, protein.
  • super_whiskey 18 Sep 2019 19:20:23 305 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    50 or 15 seems cheap to me to potentially save yourself from shin splints or worse
    This is a good point...

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.