Exercise advice and weight loss Page 544

• Derblington 4 Oct 2019 11:12:21 32,321 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    ozthegweat wrote:
    I've never been and never will be very buff/jacked/whatever, I'm more the wiry type.
    Not with that attitude! :)

Kettlebells are minimalist and will allow you to get a sweat on, and you could look at calisthenics (you'll still need equipment but a pull-up bar, parallettes and even portable dip racks are pretty space saving. It's a whole new world of dedication to get good results from but it's incredibly home workout friendly).

Edited by Derblington at 11:12:54 04-10-2019
  • ozthegweat 4 Oct 2019 11:50:57 2,364 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thanks guys.

Dougs wrote:
    Sounds like kettlebell workouts would be perfect for you....
    Wouldn't I need a set of 10 or so different kettlebells for the different exercises?

Psychotext wrote:
    You're going to need heavier adjustable dumbbells if you're going to want to train your back properly(depends if you're doing it to be pretty, or to be functional).

That, or as you said, a cable station. You can get really amazing looking ones for in fancy houses / flats... but they're comically expensive.
    One that I found and with a high WAF is this one, but as you said, comically expensive.

Derblington wrote:
    Not with that attitude! :)

Kettlebells are minimalist and will allow you to get a sweat on, and you could look at calisthenics (you'll still need equipment but a pull-up bar, parallettes and even portable dip racks are pretty space saving. It's a whole new world of dedication to get good results from but it's incredibly home workout friendly).
    :)

Small equipment is no problem. A pull-up bar is a given anyway, and parallettes, ab rollers, mats, bands, whatever are still nothing compared to a rack with barbells and weights.

Still don't know how to replicate squats, but is probably solvable with slower and more reps and kettlebells and resistance bands.

Anyway, lots of food for thought, much appreciated.
  • elstoof 4 Oct 2019 12:08:43 24,808 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    One 16kg kettlebell will be plenty to get you going, you don’t need various sizes. Once you stronger, do more reps
  • Derblington 4 Oct 2019 12:12:41 32,321 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Heavier weights are needed for strength training but it really depends on your current levels.

I need a gym.
    #beast :)

I'd actually like to do more calisthenics but I'm too fat for that at the moment.
  • Derblington 4 Oct 2019 12:22:05 32,321 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    For squatting you can do goblet squats with a kettlebell, and progress that to pistol squats (and then with the bells).
  • Psychotext 4 Oct 2019 16:44:21 65,936 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Holy shit. That girl is still on the leg curl machine. Maybe she never left?!?
  • MrFlay 4 Oct 2019 18:21:43 4,324 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You can get jacked without any equipment at all or just using some very basic stuff. Charles Bronson (the psycho prisoner) wrote a book about it.
  • Derblington 4 Oct 2019 18:23:43 32,321 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah, it's called calisthenics.

I wouldn’t call Bronson “jacked” though.

Edited by Derblington at 19:01:35 04-10-2019
  • ozthegweat 4 Oct 2019 19:03:56 2,364 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There must be a drawback, why else would you do barbell training if you got the same results with the same effort in the same amount of time with calisthenics?

Perhaps because you can't pick up hot chicks on leg curl machines with calisthenics. "Hey babe, I'm calisthening like crazy, wanna feel?"
  • fontgeeksogood 4 Oct 2019 19:08:48 8,342 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    If you don't human flagpole on the side of the squat rack you'll never be a true gym showoff
  • challenge_hanukkah 4 Oct 2019 19:11:56 11,887 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    Yeah, it's called calisthenics.

I wouldn’t call Bronson “jacked” though.
    You could totes take him in his prime derbs
  • Derblington 4 Oct 2019 21:16:20 32,321 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    No, I couldn’t.
    But he’s pudgy muscle, he’s not particularly big.
  • Psychotext 9 Oct 2019 18:39:01 65,936 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS

Can't cope, just blind me already.
  • Derblington 9 Oct 2019 19:31:16 32,321 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Try lifting in Swedish gyms....
  • Lukus 9 Oct 2019 19:32:41 22,545 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS

Can't cope, just blind me already.
    Literally the only good thing about gyms, ruined entirely by the proliferation of derblingtonings, no offence.
  • Deleted user 9 October 2019 19:53:06
    Concentrated more on cardio over weights during the past month or so and dropped a stone down to 15.2st. I was 16.10 a couple of months ago so happy with progress so far. Literally just dropped calorie intake and done 3x45 sessions of bike/cross trainer. Feeling lighter which is a bonus. Mental health feels much more on point as well.
  • Dougs 9 Oct 2019 19:59:33 91,686 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Wahey, well done, keep it up.
  • fontgeeksogood 9 Oct 2019 20:09:16 8,342 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Addy__ wrote:
    Concentrated more on cardio over weights during the past month or so and dropped a stone down to 15.2st. I was 16.10 a couple of months ago so happy with progress so far. Literally just dropped calorie intake and done 3x45 sessions of bike/cross trainer. Feeling lighter which is a bonus. Mental health feels much more on point as well.
    Great job!

Mental health is such an important part of it all. When my stupid brain tries to tell me stuff I don't need I kill it with exercise
  • Deleted user 9 October 2019 20:20:09
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    Addy__ wrote:
    Great job!

Mental health is such an important part of it all. When my stupid brain tries to tell me stuff I don't need I kill it with exercise
    It's actually helping that work is such a hive of misery and pressure at the moment. Makes me run out the door at lunch and get a session in. It's right next door to my work place so super convenient. Stopped snacking late at night as well. Probably don't eat after 6pm. Not sure if any of this is advisable but fuck it, it's working for me.
  • fontgeeksogood 9 Oct 2019 20:24:51 8,342 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Nobody is as qualified as you are to know what makes you happier, advice is often horseshit.

If I have a bad day at work it lifts me to know I can go for a run away from those problems or throw up the heavy bag and very healthily imagine the bag is Dave from Work's stupid face.

But I usually do my big gym session before work - there's something amazing about starting the work day physically exhausted which makes me feel less stressed
  • elstoof 9 Oct 2019 20:29:29 24,808 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    How do you know it’s the exercise and not the masturbation
  • Deleted user 9 October 2019 20:31:02
    I find gym first thing invigorating. Even if first thing is 3pm
  • thelzdking 9 Oct 2019 20:40:21 9,781 posts
    Seen 53 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I always thought that the whole 'exercise improves your mental health' thing was a load of bollocks. Now I'm a full advocate for it.

Obviously less effective if the gym babes turn you into a perv, like Psycho.
  • Deleted user 9 October 2019 20:45:41
    Oh god, some of the exercises females do makes me want to go the full Vic Reeves
  • fontgeeksogood 9 Oct 2019 20:48:03 8,342 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Phwoar, go on Becky, read that iPad while strolling really slowly on the treadmill
  • Deleted user 9 October 2019 20:57:58
    My ex goes to your gym?

She was literally the worst at exercising, I don't think she knew how to exert herself.
  • fontgeeksogood 9 Oct 2019 21:21:36 8,342 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Unlikely, its in a different continent and inside my house.

When I was a personal trainer (side job - and horrifically boring) there was one girl who used to put the treadmill on highest incline and then do reverse walking on it. After months of seeing it, I had to ask her what she was up to (again, job so boring you even talk to strangers to pass the time).

She said she was working to lose her arse - it was certainly out of proportion to the rest of her body, and it was before nickthegun et al normalised ghetto booty as being aspirational - I told her it doesn't work like that and there was limits to how she could fight her genetics. She looked glum and went to the shower.

The row of men who, it turned out, went to the gym at the same time as her and always got on the equipment directly behind the treadmills were furious with me. I ruined exercising for at least four people that day
  • thelzdking 9 Oct 2019 21:55:58 9,781 posts
    Seen 53 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You were an anti-personal trainer then. And a perv frustrater.
  • Deleted user 9 October 2019 21:56:29
    @fontgeeksogood Heh, wasn't serious. That cunt doesn't go to a gym
  • sport 9 Oct 2019 22:05:08 15,489 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Gene shaming is the new bums n tums.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.