Following Exercise advice and weight loss Page 552

• Kay 20 May 2020 13:57:22 20,624 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    captbirdseye wrote:
    The whole fitness/social media is so fucking toxic it's hard to tell who's not a total bellend these days. I generally only follow Buff Dudes, Thrall and Athelean.
    Buff Dudes are great for entertainment and Athlean X is great for the in-depth physio-type stuff, but in terms of a good combo of science and straight to point advice, Jeff Nippard and Jeremy Ethier are probably my favourites.
  • captbirdseye 20 May 2020 14:00:55 9,639 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Nice one. I'll check those out.
  • General_Martok 20 May 2020 14:43:34 1,278 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:

As for redpiller... welcome to the internet, you wont enjoy your stay:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/apr/14/the-red-pill-reddit-modern-misogyny-manosphere-men

https://www.vulture.com/2019/02/the-matrix-red-pill-internet-delusional-drug.html
    I see...the human race is beyond help.
  • General_Martok 20 May 2020 14:48:44 1,278 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Anyway, I'm on week 7 of my "12 week body transformation" programme and I think I'm starting to see changes in my body but I haven't so much as lost 1 kg!

My weighing scale seems to suggest that I'm converting some fat to muscle but it's only about 1%.

Has anyone else done any programmes like this? Am I supposed to see hints of a rippling six pack and guns of steels by now?

The workouts definitely push me to my limits now but I'm just concerned cause there's no movement in my weight!
  • Psychotext 20 May 2020 14:53:27 67,165 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Honestly, unless you're coming back from injury (and already had the muscle) you're unlikely to see those insane results that they advertise.

Don't worry too much about the scale though. As long as you're getting stronger / fitter then you know you're making progress. Obviously if you feel like you need to lose weight as well then you'll need to modify your diet slightly.
  • General_Martok 20 May 2020 15:14:04 1,278 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Honestly, unless you're coming back from injury (and already had the muscle) you're unlikely to see those insane results that they advertise.

Don't worry too much about the scale though. As long as you're getting stronger / fitter then you know you're making progress. Obviously if you feel like you need to lose weight as well then you'll need to modify your diet slightly.
    Thanks for the advice.

I do want to lose some weight too, I'm trying to eat less shit. Let's see where I am come week 12!
  • Psychotext 20 May 2020 15:14:57 67,165 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    For comparison, I'm actually coming back from injury / sickness and I've also lost basically nothing in the last uhh... 5 weeks.

I am a good chunk stronger than when I started back. Annoyingly no change in my cardio fitness, but I suspect that's a hangover from the virus.
  • mrpon 20 May 2020 15:21:33 36,268 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    You're a bit decrepit aren't you Psy? :D Thought about giving it up for Scrabble & Bridge?
  • sport 20 May 2020 15:23:48 16,105 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    You're a bit decrepit aren't you Psy? :D Thought about giving it up for Scrabble & Bridge?
    Did you see Psycho on reddit earlier today?
  • Psychotext 20 May 2020 15:27:18 67,165 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    In fairness, I always have been. I'm known in my mountain biking circles as Mr Glass. =/

Ironically though, if I don't exercise I get injuries from not exercising (due to hypermobility)... so I'm fucked both ways.
  • Psychotext 20 May 2020 15:29:30 67,165 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    sport wrote:
    mrpon wrote:
    Did you see Psycho on reddit earlier today?
    I swear when I loaded that the first time it said who it was. Can't get it to do it again though.

Edit - Got the full story: https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/davidmack/man-shares-photo-before-after-covid-19

Edited by Psychotext at 15:38:23 20-05-2020
  • JoeBlade 22 May 2020 14:22:36 5,089 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Holy hell, I feel like I got hit by a train today. I'm trying to get back into exercising but I apparently overdid it the past couple of days.

My feet and lower legs hurt like a SOB from running, consequently I walk like an 80 year old. And my upper body - particularly my hands, wrists and forearms - are completely cramped up; I can barely put any weight or force on them :(

I had completely forgotten how bad this can be...
  • Derblington 22 May 2020 15:15:58 33,409 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I did my first workout yesterday in weeks - 200x 24kg kettlebell swings in 45 mins. Feeling a bit sore in the hamstrings today but not bad considering.
    Gonna do another one tomorrow and then start a 5 week program on Monday. Gonna be interesting tracking, and being at home I can monitor everything.
  • THFourteen 22 May 2020 16:24:20 53,819 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Just ate a cookie.
  • Psychotext 22 May 2020 16:37:43 67,165 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I'm going to be making a boatload of cocktails later. Tomorrow I'll be attending an online rum festival...

...weight loss going well!
  • triarii 3 Jun 2020 09:23:45 423 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Would anyone be able to suggest a decent fitness tracker for Android that isn't ruinously expensive?
  • Dougs 3 Jun 2020 10:02:11 94,595 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I go round this quite a bit, trying to find a decent swim tracker in particular. But can never find one without paying top dollar (and even then, the Garmins are a bit hit and miss).
  • General_Martok 3 Jun 2020 10:17:39 1,278 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    I go round this quite a bit, trying to find a decent swim tracker in particular. But can never find one without paying top dollar (and even then, the Garmins are a bit hit and miss).
    I use the Vivoactive 3 for running and swimming. Works quite well.

It's a piece of shit for strength training, constantly screws up the HR reading in that mode for some reason.
  • triarii 3 Jun 2020 10:20:02 423 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Thanks guys. I probably should have specified what I need it for! I mainly do cycling, rowing & weights so I suppose the HR tracking is most important. I think.
  • arty 3 Jun 2020 10:42:56 730 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I've got a vivosmart 4, it seems pretty good if you want something small and inconspicuous. I'm no expert on them though.
  • Trowel 3 Jun 2020 11:04:03 23,486 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I use a Polar H10 for heart rate tracking with running and cross training - really fast and accurate. The app is pretty good and you can manage your session records online. It's HR only of course, so does mean you need something else to track GPS, etc. which might be a pain.
  • Nexus_6 3 Jun 2020 11:47:19 5,062 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Psychotext Hi Psycho - long time fan of yours, first time calling in. You mentioned you have hypermobility - how does this manifest itself and how would you say it has affected you in your life so far?
  • Psychotext 3 Jun 2020 13:27:23 67,165 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Nexus_6 I suffer frequent dislocations, shoulders mostly, though I've had it happen to my left knee and (oddly) my fingertips too.

Thankfully they're also far easier to fix than they would be for a normie. I only needed medical assistance once for it.

I'm also far more prone to muscle tears than most people.

On the positive, I'm much, much more flexible than most, though it's of fuck all use in reality.
  • Lukus 3 Jun 2020 13:30:55 23,328 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Can you suck you own cock?
  • Psychotext 3 Jun 2020 13:36:53 67,165 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yes, but that's because I'm hung like a horse.
  • Nexus_6 3 Jun 2020 14:11:02 5,062 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Psychotext Cheers.
    My little girl has hypermobility and although she doesn't suffer from it it's good to see what (much) older people think. She is 3 and has just started being able to walk but it's crazy when she falls and legs and arms just crumple at all angles and she doesn't mind!
    Does your iris have funny patterns in it by any chance? Her eyes have what look to be 'stars' as there is an overabundance of connective tissue there.

Good luck with the cock sucking by the way
  • Psychotext 3 Jun 2020 14:25:19 67,165 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The biggest problem is that she'll pretty much always have to try and stay fit / healthy or she'll suffer more. If I take a month off training the niggles become far more common.

It's an annoying balancing act.

Haven't ever really had cause to look at my eyes in great detail, but no-one has ever mentioned anything!
  • General_Martok 9 Jun 2020 11:59:55 1,278 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm on week 10 of 12 week training plan and I think I'm starting to see changes.

There is no way a 6 pack is going to magically appear in 2 weeks though...maybe a 4 pack :p

I do feel a hell of a lot better though and my running pace has improved.

The only problem is I'm aching everywhere all the fucking time now!

Edit just realised I thought I was seeing an improvement in week 7. So fuck knows.

Edited by General_Martok at 14:15:42 09-06-2020
  • Derblington 10 Jun 2020 08:57:03 33,409 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I created a 5 week, 10,000 swing kettlebell challenge - I've got a 24kg bell. It's brutal. I'm on week 3 which I've set as 10x rounds of 2 sets (15x and 35x swings) and it's exhausting. I'm definitely feeling fitter though.

Once I'm done with this I'm going to order a 16kg and a 20kg and then plan a proper routine with snatches and get-ups included, as well as some body weight exercises (I've got a power tower too, for pull-ups and dips).
    Much as I'd like to be in a gym at the moment I don't feel comfortable about it, and I'm working from home until Jan so I've got the opportunity to focus on the kettlebells and address some of my general weaknesses (grip strength, core, hip mobility, pull-ups, stretching). It's kinda nice switching to something different, and it means I'll always have the equipment for a home workout whenever I need once I go back to barbell work in the gym.

I've become a big fan of kettlebells in the short time I've had it.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.