Following Exercise advice and weight loss Page 554

• challenge_hanukkah 7 Jul 2020 17:45:49 13,057 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    About a quarter of what you do would kill me.
  • Derblington 7 Jul 2020 17:54:29 33,905 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Nah.
    I couldnít it 6 weeks ago. You get better by doing it.
  • smoothpete 26 Jul 2020 08:43:38 37,129 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    First time back in the gym today. Iím fucking weeeeak. Squatting 80kg hurt me. I know itís a process but fuck me, back to square one over here
  • Frogofdoom 26 Jul 2020 08:46:37 16,891 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    More importantly did you get to bone Theresa is the changing rooms.
  • smoothpete 26 Jul 2020 09:02:38 37,129 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    She wasnít there unfortunately. Much disappointment
  • Derblington 26 Jul 2020 09:06:46 33,905 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I canít imagine how much itís going to suck when I finally go back to the gym, which is still about 5 months away. I reckon itís going to be massively humbling.
  • smoothpete 26 Jul 2020 09:16:44 37,129 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I wasnít even giving it Billy big balls. More like Jonathan medium testicles. Was still fucking difficult. I need to lose a few lockdown midriff fat kilos
  • Derblington 26 Jul 2020 09:19:58 33,905 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Iím down 9.5kg so far, which also isnít going to help my almost 10 month hiatus. Iím losing 1kilo a weak pretty consistently, and Iím planning on doing it for a while yet. Iíll be weak as fuck.
  • General_Martok 26 Jul 2020 11:43:37 1,372 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Aren't you guys doing home workouts?

I think I'm actually in better shape than I was pre lock down but that's probably because my pre lockdown fitness was just running and swimming. Now it's running and no equipment workouts. More muscle init.

Try the adidas training app. There are numerous alternatives.

That said I haven't lost a fucking kg like I've stated before 🙈
  • Derblington 26 Jul 2020 11:54:35 33,905 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I am, but my kettlebelling and body weight stuff isnít comparable to what I was moving in the gym. Going back to oly lifting is going to mean starting much further back than I was.

Iím ok with it. If i can achieve the weight loss this year that Iím hoping for it will be a major milestone in itself, and then then I can start building up again. Itíll just be like rehabbing myself to start.
  • Psychotext 26 Jul 2020 12:04:30 67,487 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I'm hesitant to say it, but circulation aside, I think I might be largely recovered from COVID now. Fucking amazing it's taken so long (3 months+ since I had symptoms).

Going to start adding weights back in and try and get some of this fucking lard off me.
  • smoothpete 26 Jul 2020 17:38:56 37,129 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    General_Martok wrote:
    Aren't you guys doing home workouts?
    I have not been. It's bad enough working from home, let alone working out at home too. I tried a few but I just couldn't get into it. At the gym I'm there for a purpose, at home I should be chilling
  • Psiloc 29 Jul 2020 13:10:09 5,663 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Psiloc wrote:
    So it turns out being a long term smartphone and IoT user has its disadvantages, like your devices deciding one day to tell you down to the ounce how much weight you've gained between the ages of 23 and 33.

Anyway lets just say I've been inspired to lose some weight. I've cut calories down to 1,500 a day and I'm burning about 150 calories a day on the old exercise bike. But if any of you all wanna recommend some magic pills that will make this go way faster that would be great
    Lost 3 stone since this
  • beastmaster 29 Jul 2020 13:47:18 21,223 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Psiloc wrote:
    Psiloc wrote:
    So it turns out being a long term smartphone and IoT user has its disadvantages, like your devices deciding one day to tell you down to the ounce how much weight you've gained between the ages of 23 and 33.

Anyway lets just say I've been inspired to lose some weight. I've cut calories down to 1,500 a day and I'm burning about 150 calories a day on the old exercise bike. But if any of you all wanna recommend some magic pills that will make this go way faster that would be great
    Lost 3 stone since this
    Congratulations!

I need to lose 3 stone as well and I've kind of did a "reborn on 4th July" and kicked things off properly even though I had started before then.

Frustrating thing is, my clothes are looser, I'm lighter on my feet and the people I have seen (who I haven't seen for a while) have mentioned I've lost weight but the weighing scale needle seems to be only shifting to the left by the slightest of margins. Not going to give up though. I'm expecting too much too soon.

We're getting a new garage done and I was wondering if anyone here has some kind of garage setup? Have you got power going into your equipment or it it motion driven readouts (is there such a thing?).
  • Derblington 29 Jul 2020 13:48:57 33,905 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Nice going.

Iím just over 10kgs down this morning. Another 2 and Iíll be at my lowest weight in 2 years again, though the goal this time is to keep going rather than getting slack about it.
  • THFourteen 30 Jul 2020 07:12:25 53,839 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Have a back injury so wanted to lay off the heavy weights for a bit. Tried this today :
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atK6zxFl3Ic

No idea if its any good or not, but man i struggled to keep up with a 10kg bell. I completed it but with quite a bit more stopping than they were looking for.
  • dominalien 31 Jul 2020 10:34:35 9,813 posts
    Seen 6 seconds ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Looking for a bit of advice.

I got a cross trainer when the virus started and have been doing cardio on it almost every day for around 50 minutes since then. I'm now at a point where I'm getting through 500 calories during that time according to the "computer" and my HR is 120-130 after I finish, which is about right for my 45-yo self.

In that time I lost 6 kg and am now sitting at 98 and I look not bad (always had a chest wider than my waist, even when over 100kg).

My gf told me a couple of weeks ago that my arms have become tiny so I've started doing some training with 5kg weights on my pecs, biceps and triceps. My biceps and triceps are showing definite improvement but my pecs are tiny and consist mostly of fat.

I've also still got a lot of belly fat, in fact I don't see any improvement there at all compared to 4 months ago. I'm doing situps (I'm up to 90 in 3 series of 30 every two days with hands behind my head) and I've become much stronger, but that's it.

So!

Any pointers what and how much I should do to improve belly fat loss and pec fat loss/muscle increase?

I'm not looking to significantly increase muscle mass, just lose some fat on belly/pecs.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 31 Jul 2020 10:41:46 26,435 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Pushups for your pecs. Getting rid of the fat is all pretty much down to diet unfortunately.

Edited by Decks at 10:43:09 31-07-2020
  • Derblington 31 Jul 2020 10:41:55 33,905 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    You canít spot reduce fat without surgery, and genetics dictate where it goes first to last - everyone will have stubborn areas that just require more time. All you can do is keep working at it through exercise and diet.

5kg wonít do a huge amount over time unless youíre very weak or doing very long sessions. Youíd be better off doing press-up, dips and pull-up progressions if you have somewhere to do them (pull-ups specifically, the rest can be done in your living room easily).
  • dominalien 31 Jul 2020 10:49:23 9,813 posts
    Seen 6 seconds ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Wow, I completely forgot I could do push/press-ups! Though I was hoping for something without engaging my triceps too much, I'm not looking to grow my arms much more.
  • Ultrasoundwave 31 Jul 2020 10:49:58 6,104 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    9 pounds down in the last 5 weeks and itís been a simple combination of logging what I eat on MyFitnessPal (free app) and doing 30+ mins of exercise 7 days a week (varying from high effort days of running/weights down to just having a nice, long walk).

Every day for the last 5 weeks Iíve managed to get into a calorie deficit, with good days being burning about 1500 more than Iíve ingested and a ďbadĒ day burning about 400 more than Iíve ingested.

The reason I specifically say ingested instead of eaten is because, to my surprise, it was actually my drinks that were killing me - I (used to) drink a couple of pints of milk a week and a couple of pints of Bottle Green squash and theyíre both essentially 300 calories a pint!

Anyway, I recommend the ďmyfitnesspal/smart watchĒ combo.....works a treat.
  • dominalien 31 Jul 2020 10:50:33 9,813 posts
    Seen 6 seconds ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I haven't been watching my diet either. I was really happy to be losing weight without it, but you're of course right I need to change it for better results. Sigh.
  • Derblington 31 Jul 2020 11:12:21 33,905 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    Wow, I completely forgot I could do push/press-ups! Though I was hoping for something without engaging my triceps too much, I'm not looking to grow my arms much more.
    Every chest-pressing movement will engage your triceps - they straighten your arms when you press - and the press is the bread and butter of chest development.

I wouldnít worry about growing much though. It doesnít happen overnight and utilizing your body in unison is better for your general health than any isolation exercises. If anything itíll give you better proportion.

Edited by Derblington at 11:15:25 31-07-2020
  • Trowel 31 Jul 2020 11:22:48 23,658 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Any favourite exercises to target forearms?

I'm pretty solid all round elsewhere, but they look like twigs :(
  • triarii 31 Jul 2020 11:36:55 426 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Trowel wrote:
    Any favourite exercises to target forearms?

I'm pretty solid all round elsewhere, but they look like twigs :(
    Hammer curls and reverse-grip barbell curls target the forearm pretty well in my experience. More here:

https://www.exrx.net/Lists/ExList/ForeArmWt
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 31 Jul 2020 11:48:20 26,435 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Get two dumbells or a long bar, let your arms hang in front, facing away from you and then curl the wrists upwards. Do the same with the arms facing towards you. They're pretty awful.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 31 Jul 2020 11:54:46 26,435 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    You can do them sitting down too like this. Basically anything where you're just lifting with the wrist.

• sport 31 Jul 2020 12:04:13 16,290 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    You can do them sitting down too like this. Basically anything where you're just lifting with the wrist.

Great form, Decks!
  • askew 31 Jul 2020 12:04:22 21,805 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Bouldering :D

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.