Exercise advice and weight loss Page 579

  • Armoured_Bear 1 Apr 2021 11:42:08 30,281 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Wayne wrote:
    DaM wrote:
    I'm doing 800 cals a day in April. Apple Fitness wants me to walk 135 miles in April, which should cancel those out...

    Trying to lose a stone that I put on after losing it in lockdown. Before getting properly into BBQ season.

    800 calories a day. 😬
    It's not that difficult tbh, cut out a lot of carbs and sugar and you're laughing.
  • Syrette 1 Apr 2021 11:42:08 51,071 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Wayne wrote:
    DaM wrote:
    I'm doing 800 cals a day in April. Apple Fitness wants me to walk 135 miles in April, which should cancel those out...

    Trying to lose a stone that I put on after losing it in lockdown. Before getting properly into BBQ season.

    800 calories a day. 😬
    I'm underweight and even then I'd struggle with that.
  • Vortex808 1 Apr 2021 11:43:18 15,017 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    sport wrote:
    Link to stream or GTFO!
    Sport, even with your desire for 'pics' No-one needs to see my sweatfests.

    Especially not with headband & wristbands to catch sweat. That's before we get to mesh tops & bibshorts horror! 😃

    Edited by Vortex808 at 11:44:03 01-04-2021
  • captbirdseye 1 Apr 2021 11:44:54 10,702 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I thought everyone looked like the Peleton advert.
  • Vortex808 1 Apr 2021 11:48:14 15,017 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just a bit sweatier.
  • captbirdseye 1 Apr 2021 11:49:04 10,702 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Still hot though!
  • Wayne 1 Apr 2021 11:49:22 3,156 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Wayne wrote:
    DaM wrote:
    I'm doing 800 cals a day in April. Apple Fitness wants me to walk 135 miles in April, which should cancel those out...

    Trying to lose a stone that I put on after losing it in lockdown. Before getting properly into BBQ season.

    800 calories a day. 😬
    It's not that difficult tbh, cut out a lot of carbs and sugar and you're laughing.
    Thereís not much in life Iím certain about, but I can absolutely guarantee that I would not be laughing on 800 calories a day.
  • Armoured_Bear 1 Apr 2021 11:53:45 30,281 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Wayne wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Wayne wrote:
    DaM wrote:
    I'm doing 800 cals a day in April. Apple Fitness wants me to walk 135 miles in April, which should cancel those out...

    Trying to lose a stone that I put on after losing it in lockdown. Before getting properly into BBQ season.

    800 calories a day. 😬
    It's not that difficult tbh, cut out a lot of carbs and sugar and you're laughing.
    Thereís not much in life Iím certain about, but I can absolutely guarantee that I would not be laughing on 800 calories a day.
    Getting a good number on the scales does indeed spark joy.
    Speaking of which, I hit 65.0kg this morning so that's 12.8kg lost since my heaviest last year.
    /Laughs
  • THFourteen 1 Apr 2021 11:53:59 54,352 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Unless you are morbidly obese, is 800 calories a day even healthy?

    Slower and steadier surely is a better approach.
  • Armoured_Bear 1 Apr 2021 11:56:48 30,281 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Unless you are morbidly obese, is 800 calories a day even healthy?

    Slower and steadier surely is a better approach.
    This guy says otherwise.
  • mrpon 1 Apr 2021 11:57:23 37,082 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Vortex808 brilliant! Sounds right up my street, I'm going to look into it.
  • Vortex808 1 Apr 2021 12:03:00 15,017 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    @Vortex808 brilliant! Sounds right up my street, I'm going to look into it.
    If you enjoyed the old nike+ EG running challenges, which i assume you did given you issued some, then this'll certainly get that motivation thing going. Knowing it's real peeps really helps.

    Plus, the whole 'close the gap' and sprint/KOM sections really help with the 'dog chasing a ball' pavlovian urge which makes you work harder, which gets you fitter.

    I'll be going outside more in the better weather, but for spring/winter and for evenings through the week for a quick hour or so, I'll still be on this.

    Edited by Vortex808 at 12:03:19 01-04-2021
  • whatfruits 1 Apr 2021 12:05:36 190 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    surely on 800 calories a day you'll see short term results but just pile it back on once your diet returns to normal.
  • elstoof 1 Apr 2021 12:11:38 27,034 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Just make sure all 800cal from twinkies and lucky charms
  • Armoured_Bear 1 Apr 2021 12:12:22 30,281 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    whatfruits wrote:
    surely on 800 calories a day you'll see short term results but just pile it back on once your diet returns to normal.
    The whole point of any successful diet is not to return to "normal", it's to find a balance between "normal and diet" that is sustainable.
  • Psychotext 1 Apr 2021 12:32:59 69,978 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    This guy says otherwise.
    I always take my dietary advice from infomercial style sites trying to sell me something!

    Amusing that their plan lasts about as long as most people would before the wheels completely fall off.
  • General_Martok 1 Apr 2021 12:40:52 2,096 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    whatfruits wrote:
    surely on 800 calories a day you'll see short term results but just pile it back on once your diet returns to normal.
    The whole point of any successful diet is not to return to "normal", it's to find a balance between "normal and diet" that is sustainable.
    What's your sustainable calorie count then? 1600? 2?
  • Armoured_Bear 1 Apr 2021 13:04:49 30,281 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    General_Martok wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    whatfruits wrote:
    surely on 800 calories a day you'll see short term results but just pile it back on once your diet returns to normal.
    The whole point of any successful diet is not to return to "normal", it's to find a balance between "normal and diet" that is sustainable.
    What's your sustainable calorie count then? 1600? 2?
    Depends on the person, their size, activity levels etc.
  • Armoured_Bear 1 Apr 2021 13:11:13 30,281 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    This guy says otherwise.
    I always take my dietary advice from infomercial style sites trying to sell me something!

    Amusing that their plan lasts about as long as most people would before the wheels completely fall off.
    Not really in this case, 9 years since he published the 5:2 diet.
    Still jury is out on it, I didn't follow it but have used some of the recipes.
  • Derblington 1 Apr 2021 13:24:16 34,780 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Fast 800 is designed for the obese and/or diabetic types. Is also limited time, and quickly transitions to a more sustainable 5:2 plan. Itís pretty extreme and they sell their own shakes because 800 cals is very difficult for most people that arenít incredibly small. Iím sure it works for the group that itís designed for but it could be difficult because of the potential for weight regain when transitioning to a higher calorie limit.
    Prolonged adherence would lead to pretty significant metabolic slow-down, which in itself would cause significant weight regain if you suddenly stopped.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 1 Apr 2021 14:06:53 17,132 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    800cal is barely a successful shop from Greggs.

    Fair play if you can manage to blast some weight away with it but it sounds intense
  • THFourteen 1 Apr 2021 14:08:45 54,352 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    Prolonged adherence would lead to pretty significant metabolic slow-down, which in itself would cause significant weight regain if you suddenly stopped.
    This is why i KEEP EATING
  • Wayne 1 Apr 2021 14:09:49 3,156 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Anyone who is obese and then tries to live on 800 calories a day is immediately going to return to regular habits and will 100% be put off trying to lose weight. How is it 2021 and we're still falling for fad diets and get-slim-quick schemes?
  • Armoured_Bear 1 Apr 2021 14:10:26 30,281 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    800cal is barely a successful shop from Greggs.

    Fair play if you can manage to blast some weight away with it but it sounds intense
    That's 2 1/2 sausage rolls, that's plenty.

    1/2 for brekkie, one for lunch, one for dinner.
  • Armoured_Bear 1 Apr 2021 14:11:21 30,281 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Wayne wrote:
    Anyone who is obese and then tries to live on 800 calories a day is immediately going to return to regular habits and will 100% be put off trying to lose weight. How is it 2021 and we're still falling for fad diets and get-slim-quick schemes?
    It's only 800 calories 2 days a week.
  • Wayne 1 Apr 2021 14:12:26 3,156 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear DaM said he's doing 800 cals a day in April. Didn't mention any 5:2 routine.
  • Armoured_Bear 1 Apr 2021 14:16:15 30,281 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Wayne wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear DaM said he's doing 800 cals a day in April. Didn't mention any 5:2 routine.
    Yes but he's Glaswegian so hard as nails.
  • Armoured_Bear 1 Apr 2021 14:16:45 30,281 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    this grub is how I've lost the lard.
  • Derblington 1 Apr 2021 14:19:53 34,780 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Fast 800 is 800 daily for 2 weeks (up to 12 max for those with significant amounts to lose), and then transitions to a 5:2 plan (where the 2 is 800) to increase cals but prevent significant regain. And then I guess you stay on that forever.

    Which most people wonít do.

    Itís definitely less recommended than the slow and steady approach for the vast majority, but it was designed for diabetic patients who needed to turn things around quickly because of the risk of more severe outcomes, and then sold to the masses as a quicker/easier solution than normal dieting.

    Edited by Derblington at 14:23:19 01-04-2021
  • DaM 1 Apr 2021 14:40:28 17,671 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    FFS, go out for a walk with the dog and you are all bitching about me!

    Just for a few weeks. I eat reasonably sensibly the rest of the time, it just creeps up. I'm a type 1 diabetic, and injecting insulin can lead to weight gain, even without over eating. Aiming for 12 stone.

    It's a quick way to lose a few pounds. And isn't that hard. I try and limit carbs normally. Just fill up on vegetables, I make a big bowl of Asian slaw and snack on that. With very few carbs I can also take a lot less insulin which helps.

    Hardest part is no whisky, but if I go on a cycle, I'll have a wee treat.

    And I might have just slipped into obese again, but this should take me back to merely overweight!

    Edited by DaM at 14:42:18 01-04-2021

    Edited by DaM at 14:43:22 01-04-2021
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.