Exercise advice and weight loss Page 581

• TechnoHippy 8 Apr 2021 17:39:09 18,993 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    The original super food :-) I don't eat enough of them - I do like an omelette.
  • DakeyrasUK 8 Apr 2021 19:03:05 5,110 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Running reached a new height for me yesterday as I managed what has always been a long term goal in running 10km in less than 50 mins. Managed 49 mins 41 seconds which is a full 2.5 minutes off my previous PB.

A large part to the improvement is I usually run up a couple of big hills when I do longer runs and I decided yesterday to keep it flat and see how close I could get.

Eating snacks during the Easter break is not helping, neither is my new pinter homebrew kit that came ready for drinking earlier in the week!

Edited by DakeyrasUK at 19:03:20 08-04-2021
  • mikew1985 9 Apr 2021 08:46:41 15,483 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Congrats, very nice time indeed. Now that you've reached that long term goal you can go for sub 45!
  • DakeyrasUK 9 Apr 2021 08:54:39 5,110 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @mikew1985 haha yeah, that's the plan.

Even thinking about sub 20 5km. My PB has fallen to 23m 4s a week or two ago. But, here's the crux, I just go running (every other day and typically 5/6km weekdays, 10-21 at the weekends). I don't do any particular interval training or HIIT Hill reps. So sooner or later I will hit a wall in the progress front.

I think sub 20 5km may be possible if I really plan for it, but not sure I can be that dedicated to running.
  • Vortex808 9 Apr 2021 09:07:57 15,116 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    New goals always help push you, which is half the fun of exercise isn't it?.

I was taking part in a zwift event last night, well down the pecking order mind, but had been working hard and managed to get by a bunch of folk ahead of me before the finish. I was catching a last couple of folk just towards the end too, but when we all went for the final sprint (because every extra place counts, right?) I was cooked about 50m from the finish line and had to let them go. Painful.

More training required... :-)
  • General_Martok 9 Apr 2021 09:10:44 2,191 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @DakeyrasUK

Congrats! Always a great feeling when you reach a personal goal!

Now you have to do a marathon at least. Sorry, those are the rules. 😝

Edited by General_Martok at 09:11:52 09-04-2021
  • Dougs 9 Apr 2021 09:13:38 99,019 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Very much looking forward to the pool opening again. Had physio on my knee the other day and the exercises I've been given have made it clear how badly I've been overcompensating on one leg. Can't se.to stand up straight! More swimming and Pilates needed.
  • mikew1985 9 Apr 2021 09:20:42 15,483 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    DakeyrasUK wrote:
    @mikew1985 haha yeah, that's the plan.

Even thinking about sub 20 5km. My PB has fallen to 23m 4s a week or two ago. But, here's the crux, I just go running (every other day and typically 5/6km weekdays, 10-21 at the weekends). I don't do any particular interval training or HIIT Hill reps. So sooner or later I will hit a wall in the progress front.

I think sub 20 5km may be possible if I really plan for it, but not sure I can be that dedicated to running.
    Very similar to me, I just do my 5-6k 3 times a week. I used to play football 2 - 3 times per week and since I've not been able to do that my pace has definitely dropped. I f I pushed myself I could probably do a 21min 5k but sub 20 seems like I'd need to get back to the football (which I will) or interval training (which I won't) and also drop another few kilos.

I would love to run more but 2 very young kids makes it difficult to get out for more than a half hour at times.

Edit: Either way a sub 45 10k is surely a bit of a more reachable goal than a sub 20 5k? I often find my second 5k is quicker than my first (although again, not done a full 10k in about 7 months since baba 2). My heart and lungs feel tired thinking about a sub 20min 5k :D

Edited by mikew1985 at 09:25:44 09-04-2021
  • Vortex808 9 Apr 2021 09:24:34 15,116 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Very much looking forward to the pool opening again. Had physio on my knee the other day and the exercises I've been given have made it clear how badly I've been overcompensating on one leg. Can't se.to stand up straight! More swimming and Pilates needed.
    I can dig this, I am desperate for the gym to open again. Ours was working fairly well, with most folk cleaning up after themselves etc, it all felt quite safe and the difference mentally was huge.

Have you tried any online pilates stuff? That'd work fairly well i guess. indoor pools will be a bit more problematic i guess, but if numbers are controlled it should surely be fairly safe with all the chlorine around to kill stuff.
  • RyanDS 9 Apr 2021 09:26:16 13,958 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Morning chaps. Have to say I am getting into all this healthy malarkey. But have a couple of questions.

Exercise: I am cycling 1.5 hours a day, then half hour of weights, squats, sit-ups etc. 3 days on, one off. Question in on the press-ups etc. I tend to do maybe 100 a day, but between meetings, quick 5 mins after work etc. Is that okay? Or should I really trying to be doing 5 reps of 20 sit ups in one session instead of 20 here, 40 here, 20 here etc?

Food wise I am actually finding it silly easy. Bought one of those tracking apps and they say I do maybe 600 calories a day exercise, with an aim to lose 1kg a week that means I need a deficit of 900 calories so should eat maybe 1800 calories. But I am on maybe 1000 and feel fine. Should I be upping that? I feel something is wrong when I am on a diet and am told I need to eat more. Current diet is:
    Morning: Actimel, protein shake, piece of fruit, 2 black coffee. 110 odd calories. And a multivitamin
    Lunch: protein shake 91 calories
    Supper: a proper meal, between 550-700 calories.
    One beer a day (big bottle of singha) 239
    Total: maybe 1200, app says I should have an extra 600 but that is a whole supper again.

Weekends same diet but add a bottle or two of wine or a couple of 4 packs of beer.

I seem to have plateaued on weight loss, stuck at 79kg, but I think that is muscle as my chest and beer belly have massively dropped, I now am comfortable in my motorbike racing leathers when a month ago I struggled to zip them up. I feel all right on this diet and am not hungry. Should I force myself to eat more? Or add in a 3rd protein shake to add some extra?
  • Dougs 9 Apr 2021 09:38:17 99,019 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Vortex808 wrote:

Have you tried any online pilates stuff? That'd work fairly well i guess. indoor pools will be a bit more problematic i guess, but if numbers are controlled it should surely be fairly safe with all the chlorine around to kill stuff.
    Yeah, my wife belongs to a fitness group (primarily for dance at the gym, but she moved online) and the instructor also does Pilates, so has all the videos up on FaceAche. I did quite a bit last summer outside, really helped. We don't have much space though, so when the weather turned it was easy to not do it any more! Main challenge with pools is changing. Last time out you had to arrive in your trunks etc but not sure if that really saves much time! Didn't go when they opened up last time, but now think I need to for my own health and sanity!

Edited by Dougs at 10:07:45 09-04-2021
  • General_Martok 9 Apr 2021 09:40:03 2,191 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Dougs definitely missing my pool time. It's been more than year! :(

However I'm not going into those changing rooms until I'm fully loaded with Bill Gates 5G tracking nanites. So probably October.
  • Wayne 9 Apr 2021 09:40:47 3,346 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I don't know how people cope with so few calories. I'm working on about 1600 per day, and my energy levels have taken a severe nose dive.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 9 Apr 2021 09:43:02 17,425 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Instead of GoogleMaps and a stopwatch Iím thinking of gamifying my exercise.

What run trackers are people using?

iOS and preferably one that wonít totally rinse all my personal data.
  • Wayne 9 Apr 2021 09:45:02 3,346 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Strava seems to be the big one right now. I use it for walking, hiking and cycling.
  • General_Martok 9 Apr 2021 09:45:31 2,191 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    Instead of GoogleMaps and a stopwatch Iím thinking of gamifying my exercise.

What run trackers are people using?

iOS and preferably one that wonít totally rinse all my personal data.
    Strava, adidas running, Nike running, Peloton etc.

I use apple fitness on the apple watch for run tracking but I used to just use strava.
  • sport 9 Apr 2021 09:45:41 16,831 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Vortex808 wrote:

Yeah, my wife belongs to a fitness group (primarily for dance) and the instructor also does Pilates, so has all the videos up on FaceAche. I did quite a bit last summer outside, really helped. We don't have much space though, so when the weather turned it was easy to not do it any more! Main challenge with pools is changing. Last time out you had to arrive in your trunks etc but not sure if that really saves much time! Didn't go when they opened up last time, but now think I need to for my own health and sanity!
    Just head out in your robe, Lebowski style.
  • Derblington 9 Apr 2021 09:47:48 34,874 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Wayne wrote:
    I don't know how people cope with so few calories. I'm working on about 1600 per day, and my energy levels have taken a severe nose dive.
    There's an adjustment period but when I drop that low I just ditch breakfast for black coffee and operate on 2 meals a day, getting my carbs in the evening.
  • Benno 9 Apr 2021 09:56:14 11,824 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    I tend to do maybe 100 a day, but between meetings, quick 5 mins after work etc. Is that okay? Or should I really trying to be doing 5 reps of 20 sit ups in one session instead of 20 here, 40 here, 20 here etc?
    This is an interesting question. Not sure what the answer is, and haven't checked literature or bro science on forums, but its what I am currently doing. I have no workout regimen, I just do pull-ups every time I pass my pull-up bar, and do push ups every time I get up from my desk, or during meetings. Not even sure how much I do during the day, but seeing lots of progress on both.

To be honest, this better replicates how the body would 'receive' stress during the hunter gather days, so we've been designed to adapt to this model. The whole idea of a dedicated workout session with x reps and y sets is a modern idea really. And I suspect convenience is a big driver of that.
  • Benno 9 Apr 2021 10:00:04 11,824 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:

Food wise I am actually finding it silly easy. Bought one of those tracking apps and they say I do maybe 600 calories a day exercise, with an aim to lose 1kg a week that means I need a deficit of 900 calories so should eat maybe 1800 calories. But I am on maybe 1000 and feel fine. Should I be upping that? I feel something is wrong when I am on a diet and am told I need to eat more. Current diet is:
    Morning: Actimel, protein shake, piece of fruit, 2 black coffee. 110 odd calories. And a multivitamin
    Total: maybe 1200, app says I should have an extra 600 but that is a whole supper again.

Weekends same diet but add a bottle or two of wine or a couple of 4 packs of beer.

I seem to have plateaued on weight loss, stuck at 79kg, but I think that is muscle as my chest and beer belly have massively dropped, I now am comfortable in my motorbike racing leathers when a month ago I struggled to zip them up. I feel all right on this diet and am not hungry. Should I force myself to eat more? Or add in a 3rd protein shake to add some extra?
    Cals seem a bit low to me. Maybe you're eating more than you think?

If you feel fine, and energy levels remain high, then I guess makes sense to continue as is?

If you're muscle building, the scales will lie to you with respect to fat loss. Fitting into your leathers is the kind of endpoint you need to measure progress by.
  • Dougs 9 Apr 2021 10:09:09 99,019 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @General_Martok I've had one vaccine, will definitely be back once I've had the 2nd in another month or so.
  • RyanDS 9 Apr 2021 10:12:18 13,958 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Benno wrote:
    RyanDS wrote:

Cals seem a bit low to me. Maybe you're eating more than you think?

If you feel fine, and energy levels remain high, then I guess makes sense to continue as is?

If you're muscle building, the scales will lie to you with respect to fat loss. Fitting into your leathers is the kind of endpoint you need to measure progress by.
    Cheers. I think I am accurate on the calories. Maybe I am still massively burning off the beer belly calories. Maybe I will try to add 300 in anyway to be safe.
  • Wayne 9 Apr 2021 10:12:43 3,346 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    Wayne wrote:
    There's an adjustment period but when I drop that low I just ditch breakfast for black coffee and operate on 2 meals a day, getting my carbs in the evening.
    I can't have caffeine. I get addicted. :-(
  • Decks 9 Apr 2021 10:17:03 29,725 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    This will blow your mind, but what you eat it really important when you're on a low calorie diet. Certain foods will fill you up and give you higher energy levels than others. Crazy I know.
  • Dougs 9 Apr 2021 10:18:36 99,019 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Well fuck a duck. Why hasn't anyone said before?
  • Vortex808 9 Apr 2021 10:28:21 15,116 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Well fuck a duck. Why hasn't anyone said before?
    :-D
  • RyanDS 9 Apr 2021 10:28:45 13,958 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    This will blow your mind, but what you eat it really important when you're on a low calorie diet. Certain foods will fill you up and give you higher energy levels than others. Crazy I know.
    Obviously. But I assume there are limits etc. The fill up makes sense, but energy is literally calories, so hence I was asking if my diet is too low.
  • Wayne 9 Apr 2021 10:31:04 3,346 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    Decks, there's people in here genuinely trying to better themselves, and looking for sincere useful advice. Bringing that attitude to the table doesn't help anyone.
  • RyanDS 9 Apr 2021 10:34:54 13,958 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Wayne wrote:
    Decks wrote:
    Decks, there's people in here genuinely trying to better themselves, and looking for sincere useful advice. Bringing that attitude to the table doesn't help anyone.
    I will just note this is the first time in my 42 years of life I have looked at what a calorie content of food is or found out protein shakes are not just for body builders. I know my questions may be stupid, but it really is all new to me, so cheers Benno, Wayne etc, the advice is genuinely much appreciated.

And as I said before, I would rather have a chat with chaps I know here who I share interests with and are other middle age men than some body building forum which takes things to extremes.
  • Decks 9 Apr 2021 10:41:20 29,725 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Wayne wrote:
    Decks wrote:
    Bringing stuff to the table is your problem Wayne not mine.

And it is genuine advice. If you're struggling with energy levels cut out sugar, processed food and increase protein. As any nutritionist will tell you. Or listen to Derps and feel like shit all the time when you're trying to lose weight.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.