Exercise advice and weight loss Page 588

• Psychotext 27 Apr 2021 13:02:06 70,066 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Or... maybe use some brain power and carry something of a known weight onto the scale with you. 1 litre of water will add a kg.
  • Wayne 27 Apr 2021 13:52:16 3,362 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    General_Martok wrote:
    THFourteen wrote:
    Try weighing yourself once a week
    Yeah this. Weighing yourself everyday and at different times is pretty pointless as lots of variation can happen or none at all.

Do it every week at the same time and you'll start seeing trends and be able to act on them.
    I only ever weigh myself first thing in the morning.
  • Decks 27 Apr 2021 14:17:13 29,777 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    So you're asking the likelihood of your scales saying you haven't lost any weight when in actual fact you have? With the implication being that are just saying the same weight every day because of some kind of issue with the memory on the scales. Is that what you're saying?
  • smoothpete 27 Apr 2021 14:17:44 37,617 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    after dropping the kids off at the pool of course.

Or for LOLs do it before and after to see how big your shit was. I did a 1.5 kilo bad boy one day
  • Armoured_Bear 27 Apr 2021 14:19:45 30,322 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    63.8KG, exactly 14kg less than my fat bastard max from last year.
    Weight loss going very slowly now but still gradually dropping.
  • Armoured_Bear 27 Apr 2021 14:20:11 30,322 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    after dropping the kids off at the pool of course.

Or for LOLs do it before and after to see how big your shit was. I did a 1.5 kilo bad boy one day
    That's surely not humanly possible.
  • smoothpete 27 Apr 2021 14:28:11 37,617 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I assure you sir this was the before and after difference. I really, really needed a shit.
  • Armoured_Bear 27 Apr 2021 14:34:10 30,322 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    I assure you sir this was the before and after difference. I really, really needed a shit.
    Looks like you must be secretly another mammal :)
  • Wayne 27 Apr 2021 14:48:02 3,362 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Decks Had a bit of a Google and it turns out LOADS of people have the same issue with digital scales.
  • Psiloc 27 Apr 2021 14:48:20 6,166 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    So you're asking the likelihood of your scales saying you haven't lost any weight when in actual fact you have? With the implication being that are just saying the same weight every day because of some kind of issue with the memory on the scales. Is that what you're saying?
    TBF if the scales are meant to be accurate to the ounce or 100g or whatever than having it be the exact same for days on end is a bit strange. But yeah like just weigh something else and see if it still says 350lbs.
  • Decks 27 Apr 2021 14:49:20 29,777 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ok.
  • Psiloc 27 Apr 2021 14:49:57 6,166 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    General_Martok wrote:
    THFourteen wrote:
    Yeah this. Weighing yourself everyday and at different times is pretty pointless as lots of variation can happen or none at all.

Do it every week at the same time and you'll start seeing trends and be able to act on them.
    Why does everyone say this?

If you're trying to spot a trend (as you should) then it's common sense that more points of data is better
  • General_Martok 27 Apr 2021 14:59:46 2,208 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Psiloc wrote:
    General_Martok wrote:
    THFourteen wrote:

If you're trying to spot a trend (as you should) then it's common sense that more points of data is better
    Yeah but doing it every day adds a lot of "noise" and you're not really going to spot a trend in a few days it will take a week to get noticeable.

I used to do it daily and would love the weight going down for no apparent reason but then on the flip side it would also do the opposite too.

When I switched to weekly it's easy to think back on over a week and see what you did differently to the previous one that could have made that change.

Doing it daily...well a good or bad shit changes things.
  • Vortex808 27 Apr 2021 15:06:03 15,124 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    General_Martok wrote:

Especially if you're smoothpete!
  • Vortex808 27 Apr 2021 15:06:56 15,124 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Wayne wrote:
    @Decks Had a bit of a Google and it turns out LOADS of people have the same issue with digital scales.
    Just weigh your catering-sized pack of Frosties to see if the scales are zeroing/registering weight properly.
  • DakeyrasUK 27 Apr 2021 15:10:10 5,123 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    General_Martok wrote:
    Psiloc wrote:
    General_Martok wrote:
    THFourteen wrote:

Yeah but doing it every day adds a lot of "noise" and you're not really going to spot a trend in a few days it will take a week to get noticeable.

I used to do it daily and would love the weight going down for no apparent reason but then on the flip side it would also do the opposite too.

When I switched to weekly it's easy to think back on over a week and see what you did differently to the previous one that could have made that change.

Doing it daily taking several days to see a trend is far better than doing it weekly and taking as many weeks, as days in the former, to see a trend and clear the noise...
  • Vortex808 27 Apr 2021 15:12:16 15,124 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    O_o

Surely consistent weight loss takes time, so daily weighing is a waste of time and adding meaningless noise.
  • Dougs 27 Apr 2021 15:14:44 99,081 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    +1
  • General_Martok 27 Apr 2021 15:17:24 2,208 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Do it daily by all means but make sure you plot EVERY factor that effects weight loss too.

Hydration also being very important.
  • Psiloc 27 Apr 2021 15:18:16 6,166 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    General_Martok wrote:
    Psiloc wrote:
    General_Martok wrote:
    THFourteen wrote:

Those are all reasons to observe a trend rather than obsessing over individual results, they're not reasons to reduce the size of the sample.

The 'noise' affects every record whether you do it daily or weekly. You reduce the margin of error by increasing the sample size.

For the record I simply can't be arsed to weigh myself daily so we do much the same thing in practice.

I write reports for a living
  • Psiloc 27 Apr 2021 15:22:51 6,166 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Vortex808 wrote:
    Surely consistent weight loss takes time
    Correct, you're not going to learn much by only comparing to yesterdays weight.

But I keep seeing people advising others who are concerned they're not reading the scales properly to reduce the frequency they weigh themselves. This is wrong; the answer is to observe the trend. And the more data the better.

Of course, the extent to which an individual will care to do this will vary greatly and that's fine
  • Derblington 27 Apr 2021 15:23:15 34,878 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Vortex808 wrote:
    O_o

Surely consistent weight loss takes time, so daily weighing is a waste of time and adding meaningless noise.
    Daily readings and take a weekly average. Itíll give you a more accurate gauge of your weight than a single sample from 7 days.
  • gossypboy 27 Apr 2021 15:24:49 169 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Water is good
  • General_Martok 27 Apr 2021 15:31:42 2,208 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    Vortex808 wrote:
    O_o

Daily readings and take a weekly average. Itíll give you a more accurate gauge of your weight than a single sample from 7 days.
    Yeah this is probably the best way to do it.

The other reason to measure weekly instead is psychological, you may get disheartened by not seeing a reduction for a few days.
  • Wayne 27 Apr 2021 15:41:13 3,362 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Fwiw, I didnít get disheartened by not seeing a drop
    In weight. I completely get that body weight fluctuates even when losing weight.
    Itís more the frustration of knowing that Iím not getting an accurate weigh in.
  • Decks 27 Apr 2021 15:43:11 29,777 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    My scales have said I'm the exact same weight for the last 6 months despite me losing 4 inches off my weight. Weighed myself again this morning and I'm stil "Err". Starting to piss me off now.
  • Syrette 27 Apr 2021 15:50:17 51,081 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Going to try doing 2 weighings a week (Wednesday and Saturday mornings) - 2 points of reference sounds better than one, although I agree with those advising against doing it daily.
  • Psiloc 27 Apr 2021 15:56:36 6,166 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    For the record I didn't advise doing it daily, I'm simply making the point that more data is in fact better than less data. Especially when observing averages/trends which we all seem to agree is the name of the game with fat loss.

I weigh myself whenever I'm near the bathroom with my scales in and the thought happens to pop into my head, so I'm not exactly practicing what I preach. Just correcting a misconception
  • challenge_hanukkah 27 Apr 2021 16:01:40 14,125 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm weighing myself right now. Wearing nothing but a bowtie and a wry smile.

I'm fat as fuck.
  • mrpon 27 Apr 2021 16:07:45 37,171 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Forget about scales, how do you feel/look?
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.