Exercise advice and weight loss Page 589

• simpleexplodingmaybe 27 Apr 2021 16:31:42 17,513 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    We donít own scales but I figure now running 5.5k 5 days a week with a two hour weekly bouldering session is going to work better than my main lockdown regime of sitting in front of the computer/telly.

Lunch shifted from a classic sandwiches, crisps and chocolate packed lunch style meal to bowl of soup and piece of fruit.

Daytime soft drinks are out too.

Evening meals are still mostly as before but after dinner snacks have been cut out.

Definitely feeling fitter and looking trimmer again.
  • challenge_hanukkah 27 Apr 2021 16:50:38 14,125 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    Forget about scales, how do you feel/look?
    I look like Frank Butcher covered in dysentery.
  • Wayne 27 Apr 2021 16:59:13 3,362 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    Shit and shitter.
  • Decks 27 Apr 2021 17:10:09 29,777 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Your mirrors probably broken.
  • elstoof 27 Apr 2021 17:11:40 27,157 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Wayne has to be a troll
  • elstoof 27 Apr 2021 17:12:49 27,157 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    after dropping the kids off at the pool of course.

Or for LOLs do it before and after to see how big your shit was. I did a 1.5 kilo bad boy one day
    Pete asked me to spot him while he did his curls and you wonít believe what happened
  • mrpon 27 Apr 2021 17:22:14 37,171 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Wayne wrote:
    mrpon wrote:
    Shit and shitter.
    There you go then, it can only get better from here on. Take a leaf out of that simple guy top of the page, he's nailing it.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 27 Apr 2021 17:32:54 17,513 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think I lost more gut and love handle from cutting down on snacking than I have since getting serious about forcing myself out to run

Not that Iím in great shape or anything now

I had started by running as hard as I could then being totally done in. Settled for a respectable pace that I can do every day without keeling over - usually around 30-35 min. Really cleared out my podcast backlogue doing it too.
  • elstoof 27 Apr 2021 17:45:02 27,157 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    How much of it is down to the multigrain
  • Your-Mother 27 Apr 2021 17:48:00 7,375 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Only two bowls of coco puffs
  • Vortex808 27 Apr 2021 17:54:01 15,124 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I have 1kg of frosties as my recovery snack after a 50k cycle.

Flexes.

belly
  • mrpon 27 Apr 2021 18:43:38 37,171 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    challenge_hanukkah wrote:
    I'm weighing myself right now. Wearing nothing but a bowtie and a wry smile.

I'm fat as fuck.
    I'm trying to picture the dysentery.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 27 Apr 2021 19:02:56 17,513 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Your-Mother wrote:
    Only two bowls of coco puffs
    Water not milk
  • Psiloc 28 Apr 2021 11:15:23 6,166 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    There's something I haven't been able to get my head around. So building muscle is all about progressive overload right, and going harder than last time in some way. Since you're realistically not going to be able to add more weight every single time, this more often than not comes in the form of one more rep to one of your sets.

How do you consolidate this with the other established fact that each set should be based on failure? I know that going to failure each time isn't necessary or even healthy, but failure or a few reps short of failure should be the basis for each set. I think. So how do you make sure you can add another rep with every workout? Doesn't this suggest that you must be holding back to allow for room for the additional rep?

It sounds to me like it can only mean "if you go to failure you should be able to add a rep to each exercise every time".

I watched a video on it yesterday from one of the main YTers and point one was "go to failure, number of reps is irrelevant" and point two was "add one rep to a set each time"
  • Derblington 28 Apr 2021 12:33:44 34,878 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    You won't necessarily be able to add something each time. It's relative to how you're performing, and there are a number of factors that can affect it - sleep, food, illness, speed, etc.
    You want to be within a rep range of about 4 reps (8-12, for example), and it should be challenging but form should be good throughout. Once that range becomes less challenging, add sets, reps or weight.
  • Wayne 28 Apr 2021 12:37:02 3,362 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Psiloc Those two pieces of advice are completely at odds with each other (which is the point I think you were making).
  • Psychotext 28 Apr 2021 12:41:36 70,066 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The failure thing is bollocks. That should only really be a final set sort of thing unless you particularly like frying your CNS.

The adding a rep thing is also bollocks, because if you could do that forever we'd all be lifting infinite amounts of weight or doing 50+ reps a set.

The reality is far more nuanced than a quick Youtube style "go harder than you did last session" soundbite. There's a reason complex periodization plans exist and are used fairly commonly.
  • Psiloc 28 Apr 2021 13:26:19 6,166 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Glad it's not just me. I haven't been following the "advice" because I just didn't understand how to satisfy both conditions.

I'm sure you'll all scoff but I still aim for 3 sets of 12, and I load up the weight so I'll be at or near failure by 12. Sometimes I'll bail before 12 and sometimes I'll go way over as appropriate, but my target is always around 12. I don't just stop abruptly when I get to 12 though.

I've experimented with lower rep ranges before but I just don't feel like I get the same workout. If I load up the bar so I'm fucked after 4 or 5, within a few minutes of finishing the exercise I'm completely recovered and I don't feel like I put the same effort in as lower weight/higher rep.
  • Psychotext 28 Apr 2021 13:37:45 70,066 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    As long as you're not literally doing the same thing week after week then you're already doing better than most people.
  • Psychotext 28 Apr 2021 15:48:38 70,066 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Vaguely on topic, had a bunch of (high protein, relatively low calories) frozen curries turn up today. I'm really liking that you can get more and more decent food that way.

Trying out a bunch of different companies to find stuff that suits, mostly because I noticed that when work gets particularly busy I get less time to do my usual batch cooking.
  • Kay 28 Apr 2021 16:02:38 21,102 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Psiloc wrote:
    I watched a video on it yesterday from one of the main YTers and point one was "go to failure, number of reps is irrelevant" and point two was "add one rep to a set each time"
    Who was this? Contradictory info like this is pretty annoying, when the whole thing is confusing enough to a lot of people as it is.

The point of progressive overload is to add as little amount as possible each, whether it's an extra rep or a kg or lb of weight. That's how you gradually progress and, in theory, delay the plateau stage for as long as possible. Obviously that doesn't work if you just go to failure every time. Anyway, every time I've plateaued I've tried to mix it up by trying a variation of an exercise or a new exercise completely.
  • Psiloc 28 Apr 2021 16:07:09 6,166 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Psycho Where did you get them from? Let us know what they're like!

High protein diet for me has been an absolute game changer. Whether you actually need so much is up for debate, but in terms of calorie density and the feeling of satiety it's really worked for me.

It helps that I'm basically a carnivore and it's therefore easy to treat myself while still eating 'right'.

Edited by Psiloc at 16:07:30 28-04-2021
  • Psiloc 28 Apr 2021 16:10:38 6,166 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Kay Jeremy Ethier (had to go back and find it). He's got 3 million subscribers so I assume he's a main one.

TBF I'm certain I've heard this contradiction from several other YouTubers depending on what video you watch, but in this case it was literally within the same video so it gave me pause
  • Kay 28 Apr 2021 16:13:25 21,102 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Wait, Ethier said that? He's actually probably my favourite fitness youtuber tbh. Was it the video on 5 reasons why you're not growing, or something alone those lines?
  • Psiloc 28 Apr 2021 16:18:02 6,166 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Kay Yes that was the very video. FTR I'm not ready to point fingers, if you can tell me where the misunderstanding is then go ahead.

Anyway in spite of all that YT has still been an absolute blessing and has basically been my sole source of education on the matter of fitness since I started 14 months ago. I've lost 4 stone and I'm getting close to tripling my bench :) talk about newbies gains right, I'll never see progress like that again
  • Kay 28 Apr 2021 16:20:18 21,102 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Yeah, I watched that a couple of days ago and don't remember him mentioning anything about doing all reps to failure. Though maybe I wasn't paying enough attention, so will have to give it another watch! :)

EdIt: Just watched it and his first point was to make sure you go to within 1-3 reps to failure each set, to ensure you're putting enough effort in each set. Which is to say, pick a weight where you can do, say, 8 reps, but probably couldn't do 11 over three sets. And then increase by a bit each time etc.

Edited by Kay at 16:25:39 28-04-2021
  • Psiloc 28 Apr 2021 16:27:09 6,166 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I'm paraphrasing but he basically said that failure should be the benchmark. Whether you finish 1, 2 or 3 reps before failure is fine, but it should all be based on what your point of failure is.

He then went on to say that progressive overload can be achieved by adding a rep to one of your sets, e.g. take it to 11 instead of 10 for one set, then for two sets, and so on.

If there's a way to do both of those things at the same time, I don't get it

Again, I'm certain I've heard other YTers say both of these things. I'm not singling him out
  • Psiloc 28 Apr 2021 16:29:27 6,166 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    OK I'm probably just overanalysing.

"Make sure you work hard enough, and do a little bit more each time" is pretty non-controversial
  • Kay 28 Apr 2021 16:32:06 21,102 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Hmm, I think you're getting a bit mixed up here. I don't think his info is contradictory at all. My post edit clarifies it...

Psiloc wrote:
    "Make sure you work hard enough, and do a little bit more each time" is pretty non-controversial
    Yep!

Edited by Kay at 16:32:36 28-04-2021
  • Psychotext 28 Apr 2021 16:49:28 70,066 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Psiloc wrote:
    @Psycho Where did you get them from? Let us know what they're like!
    The ones I'm trying at the mo are from...
    https://praveenkumar.com/online-shop/

These showing up over the next few weeks...

https://shop.mindfulchef.com/collections/healthy-ready-meals

https://byruby.co.uk/collections/main-dishes

Obviously you need to look at the nutritional data as some are very much not healthy! I tend to ballpark at 10g of protein for every 100kcal.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.