Following Exercise advice and weight loss Page 590

• simpleexplodingmaybe 30 Apr 2021 14:30:59 19,787 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    No run today due to work but bouldering tonight.

Looking at my Strava data its hard to track progress in the short term because even though I do the exact same run every day Strava has recorded it at anywhere between 5.2 and 6.4k. I think its actually closer to five and half but obviously the satellite isnít keeling up. Broadly speaking I feel like Iím getting fitter and pace is trending to faster. Got two longer routes planned but one of them is a bit of a pipedream at the moment.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 30 Apr 2021 14:32:45 19,787 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Worst part of bouldering is having to wear contacts and my twitchy left eye refusing to accept one until 25 minutes later when the muscle is tired enough to let me smear a sand-dry lens onto my crimson eyeball.
  • MrWorf 30 Apr 2021 15:15:14 64,172 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 20 years ago
    I've lost 15 kg this year as of today, not only do all my clothes fit me again, but some of my tight clothes now hang loose on me! It's so weird, for most of this month my weight didn't change much but it's as if my my body has been reorganising things as my measurements seemed to change on a daily basis.

This last week I've plummeted 4 kgs randomly, it seems to come in waves. Nothing for weeks then a sudden weight drops. 5 more kg to get to my weight goal of 120kg!
  • JoeBlade 30 Apr 2021 15:55:34 6,207 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @MrWorf Can't find your previous posts in this thread so I'll just ask: how did you go about it exactly? Diet, exercise, changing habits, ...?
  • smoothpete 30 Apr 2021 16:03:11 37,723 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    That's a lot. Good work.

I did some interval sprints on the treadmill this morning. The only free machine was the one in front of the mirror so I had to look at my own sweaty self. I do hope I don't look awful to the rest of the gym. I might have to get someone to film me to check
  • MrWorf 30 Apr 2021 17:03:47 64,172 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 20 years ago
    @JoeBlade Intermittent fasting.

I stop eating at around 6-8pm and start at 2pm-ish, sometimes longer if I can stretch it and sometimes less if I can't.

I'm not too strict about it as you tend to eat less naturally as you get used to fasting. These days, I essentially just have one big meal a day in the evening and a light meal or smoothie in the afternoon. It's not nil by mouth, I drink plently of water and black tea whilst fasting.

Fasting isn't enough though, I take two 10k walks a day, an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening. I try to do one cardio exercise a day to get the heart rate up, nothing fancy, just a 15-30 min cycle or honeslty hopping on the spot (skipping w/out rope) for 10 minutes lol

My fitbit tells me I burn on avg 6000 calories a day, my daily goal is 6500 and I do around 30K steps a day, goal 35K.

So a lot of walking and a lot of not eating and bouncing around. :D
  • MrWorf 30 Apr 2021 17:05:38 64,172 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 20 years ago
    @smoothpete Cheers! I'm sure you look amazing, but honestly I've alwaay believed most people in the gym are too focused on their own goals to notice others. Apart from the oogly pervs of course. :D
  • JoeBlade 30 Apr 2021 17:17:22 6,207 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    MrWorf wrote:
    @smoothpete Cheers! I'm sure you look amazing, but honestly I've alwaay believed most people in the gym are too focused on their own goals to notice others. Apart from the oogly pervs of course. :D
    Heh, I'm usually the kind to do my own thing in the gym and not notice others but on occasion I've spotted a lady who nearly caused me to be catapulted off the running machine to be fair. And no, it wasn't Mrs. May.
  • Wayne 30 Apr 2021 18:26:19 3,964 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Just finished week two of C25K. Genuinely enjoying it this time. Week three looks tough though.
  • Wayne 30 Apr 2021 18:28:01 3,964 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @MrWorf 10km/h is a hell of a walking pace!!!
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 30 Apr 2021 18:29:18 19,787 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    How does couch to 5k work? I think half my friends are doing it to different apps and podcasts

Add a K a week until you hit 5 or run 5k each time with walking intervals until you donít need them anymore?
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 30 Apr 2021 18:29:57 19,787 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Wayne wrote:
    I was thinking this is close to my daily jogging pace
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 30 Apr 2021 18:30:15 19,787 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Fair play though if youíre hitting those goals
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 30 Apr 2021 18:30:42 19,787 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Low calorie Blood Wine all round
  • Not-a-reviewer 30 Apr 2021 18:42:17 7,649 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    How does couch to 5k work? I think half my friends are doing it to different apps and podcasts

Add a K a week until you hit 5 or run 5k each time with walking intervals until you donít need them anymore?
    It gradually decreases the number of intervals and builds up the amount of running vs walking. Itís more about doing it over a fixed time than adding distance, that comes as a result of doing it.

Iíd just stick to the NHS/BBC app.

Edited by Not-a-reviewer at 18:43:17 30-04-2021
  • Wayne 30 Apr 2021 18:49:49 3,964 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago

You run three times week. Week 1 is relatively easy. So a minute running and a minute and a half walking, five times (or something that effect). Each week it builds it up with more running, less walking, until finally you can run 5K without any walking.
  • MrWorf 30 Apr 2021 19:07:30 64,172 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 20 years ago
    Wayne wrote:
    Oh haha, too right it's more around an hour and a half. I'm a giant at 2.1m tall, my stride is around 1.2m and I tend to march on these walks.
  • MrWorf 30 Apr 2021 19:10:20 64,172 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 20 years ago
    I tried that couch to 5k thing, my body is not built for jogging, I get instant exercise urticaria, on my second day of ct5k I ended up in a crying heap on the pavement from the pain. :/ I'll stick to the cross trainer when I get back to the gym.
  • MrWorf 30 Apr 2021 19:11:47 64,172 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 20 years ago
    Low calorie Blood Wine all round
    Qapla'! I'll stick to prune juice, a warriors drink.
  • Tomo 30 Apr 2021 19:20:21 19,530 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I took up running properly this year as I'd always been a bit half-arsed about it, mainly because it's dull as hell compared to other sports. Anyway, C25K was great when I did it last year. This year I've been going out for a 5k three times per week. Did my first 10k last weekend which was mainly because I hit 7k and thought fuck it, I'll see how I go for another 3k, and it was fine surprisingly.

The battle for me is mostly against the tedium and distracting myself from realising I'm running. I got myself some nice running tops and shorts, and some decent running headphones. Those have helped a lot. The clothes especially. Nothing worse than feeling a few degrees too hot with half the run to go. Just plays on your mind. Another minor revelation was pockets in my shorts for phone and keys. Initially I borrowed my girlfriend's running pouch which is a bit like a sling. I found it just heavy enough that when I ran one of my arms was in a slight stress position, I think because it kept slipping. Then I put my phone in pocket of new shorts with a zip and it was fine.

Feels very nitpicky but guess there's a reason athletes don't run around in football shirts and thick cotton shorts.
  • Psychotext 30 Apr 2021 19:22:37 70,593 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Blood test results in, everything relatively normal except for "elevated prolactin", "low white blood cell count" (apparently means I may have been sick recently?) and slightly high cholesterol.

What's odd about the latter is that last time I had the full blood test was just after Christmas break, with eating everything / drinking all the alcohol in the world. This time is after 1 day a week of drinking and ~1800kcal a day. Bizarre.
  • Razz 30 Apr 2021 19:28:42 1,193 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Age bro, one slice of bacon one day and your Dr telling you you're going to die the next. Sucks.
  • Wayne 30 Apr 2021 20:10:05 3,964 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Tomo Iíve a flip belt. Itís great for running.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 30 Apr 2021 22:15:19 19,787 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    All my running is done to podcasts because I run better when I disassociate and the running becomes mechanical and automatic while my brain is busy elsewhere (Night Vale at the moment). As soon as I start thinking about how Iím running I become terrible at pacing myself and go too fast or start to feel the burn
  • Vortex808 4 May 2021 21:25:39 15,528 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Two sessions in after being allowed to get back in the gym. Feels great.

Went easier so far, but still had 3 day doms around the lats/shoulders. I guess bent over rows etc don't hit there too well & i gave up on shoulder press for a month or two after worrying i had tweaked a rotator cuff.

Feeling Ok everywhere else though, even with the zwifting etc. Tired legs, yes, but no walking like john wayne yet.
  • Psychotext 5 May 2021 22:58:50 70,593 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Random, but I'm fucking loving having obliques.

I was never one for bothering with dedicated core work before as squats and deadlifts were generally enough. I'm not allowed to do them any more though, so I've been doing a lot of anti-rotation / side plank stuff as part of my rehab on my shattered hip.

Don't get me wrong, I still look like a train wreck, but it's a new bulge of muscle where previously I just had bulges of fat!
  • BreadBinLidHero 6 May 2021 00:16:40 10,751 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Started off well this year - gym three times a week, intermittent fasting, not eating loads of crap. Went out the window when the February lockdown closed the gyms, and then work and being a bit ill.

Now I'm fat as fuck again. Back to the gym tonight though. Wish me luck.
  • gammonbanter 6 May 2021 00:41:46 2,278 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I've finally hit my target weight, through diet and exercise (running and walking). But want to keep losing until my BMI is 23.

I want to work weight lifting into my routine now, but I have this ill founded idea that if I lift lots; my gains will show up on the scales! 😆

Has anyone else worked in weights and still managed to keep losing.
  • triarii 6 May 2021 09:20:07 468 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @gammonbanter

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but if you are still in a calorie deficit, you should continue to lose weight even if you start lifting.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.