Following Exercise advice and weight loss Page 4

• Juninho 20 Jul 2007 10:20:32 1,825 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Also try to change the smaller things in your life, and that will get you used to being more active. At least that's how I feel.

Walk to the shop, don't drive. Get granary instead of white. Take the stairs not the lift.
  • JayPee 20 Jul 2007 10:29:04 1,490 posts
    Seen 8 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    It's VERY true that the small things add up.

"Just one buscuit" can be more than a 5 minute jog in terms of calories.

It is far easier not to eat the calories than to burn them off, however, it is heathier to eat 'sensibly' (low fat, reduced carb, more natural foods, less fast food etc.) and exercise than just be on a very strict diet.
  • Jonsend 20 Jul 2007 10:41:31 821 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I lost a lot of weight (6 stone) about 3 years ago and have kept it off. My best advice is to learn about food, cook your own food so you know what goes into it and eat plenty of fruit and veg.

You can calculate your weight loss easily - if you take in 3500 calories less than you use then you lose a pound of fat. So 7 days at 2000 calories (assuming you burn 2500) means a pound lost.

You really want to change what you eat permanently rather than follow a weight loss diet that you stop when you have lost the weight - so learn about what you eat, healthy (i.e. nuts and seeds), fat-free or sugar free doesn't mean low calorie.

Edited by Jonsend at 10:42:16 20-07-2007
  • piratebrido 20 Jul 2007 17:38:43 123 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Blow yer load groovemeister. Lay it on us!
  • TwistidChimp 20 Jul 2007 17:49:32 8,825 posts
    Seen 14 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yar, i've been meaning to get in shape and start weight training aswell, so go for it mr Groovemeister.
  • Psychotext 20 Jul 2007 18:16:24 70,593 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    You fool. That's why I never mention any sort of qualifications. =D
  • Telepathic.Geometry 20 Jul 2007 18:18:40 12,422 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    groovemeister wrote: Late to the thread, but here goes:

I can set out a whole exercise regime for you if you want. I've got a weight lifting instructors award and can tell you about good foods to eat (you don't have to diet and you'd be surprised what is classed as healthy - we're not talking salads here!) and stuff and what exercises to do and all sorts. If anyone's interested just post in here.
    For real? I have a few questions if you don't mind me laying them on you. :)
  • famous_roy 20 Jul 2007 18:27:56 4,126 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Dear Groovemeister,

I want to simply lose about a stone of weight (from 12st to 11, Im about 5'11 tall)

Please tell me the quickest easiest way to do so, I have heard that weight training is the magic-ist way to do this.

Love Roy
  • Telepathic.Geometry 20 Jul 2007 18:28:55 12,422 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @groovemeister: I'm doing between two to three hours of Taiji a day, which is exercising all of the muscles really, but particularly the smooth muscle of the body, and the quads.

I was told by my teacher to exercise the leg muscles every day in such a way as I went to bed with tired legs, and woke up with tired legs. So my questions are:

1. Can the leg muscles grow well like that?
    2. What should I be eating to help build the muscle (no shakes or anything, just regular food)?
    3. When should I be eating in relation to when I exercise?

Cheers man...
  • TwistidChimp 20 Jul 2007 20:30:39 8,825 posts
    Seen 14 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Blimey, good response. For myself, i'm going to be doing a little bit of cardio type work, walk / jog for a half hour a day + a bit of Wii sports ;)

And ideally just free weights at home however many times a week is apropriate. I'm guessing 3 would be fine, different muscle groups each time or whatever you suggest. Is it possible to make reasonable gains using only a bench and free weights ? I'd sooner not have to join a gym again. The only affordable one near me sucks balls and half the machines dont work so.
  • Telepathic.Geometry 20 Jul 2007 20:35:38 12,422 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @groovemeister: Just to be a bit clearer on what I'm at - I'm doing a lot of weird internal training in Tai Chi now, and most of it is fine, but one thing in particular that is giving me trouble is 'sung kua' training, which basically means relaxed/loose hips or groin...

The main point of the training now is, more or less, to be able to stand and put all of your body weight on your quads, relaxing (what I think are called) your hip flexors to the point that they are not working at all. The more relaxed they are, the more you 'sink' into your hips.

The problem is, the legs need to be very strong before you can do this at all, as your nervous system thinks you'll fall, and will flick the switch on the other muscles to hold you up. The stronger the muscles, the longer you can stand that way, and the more weight your body will allow your quads to support.

Thus, I'm not trying to lift mad heavy weights or anything, just to build up the quads as quickly as possible so that they can support all of my body weight for, say, half an hour on each leg. Right now, I can do that for between five and ten minutes per leg. Help?
  • ray 20 Jul 2007 20:56:10 685 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    groovemeister wrote:
    2&3)Protein. Which means meat/eggs/fish. Fats to aid general well being as mentioned enough. Carbs to suit activity levels. I advocate protein and carbs wit some fat 1 hour or so before exercise and eat within half an hour after - preferably immediately. This meal should be protein and carbs. No fat as it slows absorption.

So vegetarians are doomed from the start? ;_;
  • Telepathic.Geometry 20 Jul 2007 21:14:59 12,422 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Nope. A friend of mine is a veggie and he's built like a brick shithouse. For example, beans have loads of protein. Plus, many veggies eat eggs...
  • TwistidChimp 20 Jul 2007 21:16:13 8,825 posts
    Seen 14 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yup, beans and pulses are supposed to be very rich in protein aint they ?
  • Syrok Designer, Tarsier Studios 20 Jul 2007 21:16:38 14,104 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I ate 400g of baked beans for breakfast last weekend. Yummy. :)
  • catterz 20 Jul 2007 21:19:19 8,763 posts
    Seen 8 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I managed to shift 3 stone in 6 months before. My tip? Eat lots of Polos.

Nah, seriously... I did lose 3 stone in 6 months by just eating sensibly. No extra exercise than I'd usually get, just 2 or 3 sensible meals a day. usually consisted of a bowl of cereal or a couple of slices of toast for breakfast. A sandwich for lunch (whatever filling you won't but keep it small-ish). 4 slices of bread is fine unless you pack a pig inside. And then whatever I felt like for dinner, always hot; pizza, fajitas, fatty shit, greasy shit, whatever. Your body needs a little of that crap so it doesn't stock up on it.
  • Syrok Designer, Tarsier Studios 20 Jul 2007 21:21:54 14,104 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    My body doesn't seem to work like everyone elses. The more I exercise the more weight I gain. If I exercise less I lose weight.
  • Foregone-Reality 20 Jul 2007 21:26:34 2,216 posts
    Seen 11 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    catterz wrote:
    Eat lots of Polos.

Aren't mints known to reduce hunger cravings?
  • famous_roy 20 Jul 2007 21:29:14 4,126 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    What is the nutritional value of coco pops?

Also, does it make you fat if you snack late? I feel like some coco pops.
  • catterz 20 Jul 2007 21:39:06 8,763 posts
    Seen 8 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Foregone Reality wrote:
    catterz wrote:
    Eat lots of Polos.

Aren't mints known to reduce hunger cravings?
    Also known to cause laxative effects with excessive consumption. ;)
  • Psychotext 20 Jul 2007 22:13:34 70,593 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Syrok wrote:
    My body doesn't seem to work like everyone elses. The more I exercise the more weight I gain. If I exercise less I lose weight.
    Get your body fat tested. It's easy to pay too much attention to actual weight when body fat is a more important measurement.

Great advice from groove btw, well worth reading if anyone wants to learn more. Oh, and beans are f*ck*ng ace. I got so sick of eating meat when I was actively trying to build muscle but beans give you loads of goodness. =)

Edited by Psychotext at 22:14:43 20-07-2007
  • Telepathic.Geometry 20 Jul 2007 22:16:00 12,422 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    From now on, I'm gonna eat dinner, wait around a half hour or so, and then train for a couple hours, and finish up with a savage go of beans. Hurrah. /flexes muscles
  • Psychotext 20 Jul 2007 22:23:19 70,593 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Oh, and I can't recommend 7 meals a day unless training is your life. I was doing 5 and even though I'm self employed it was still a f*ck*ng pain in the ass.
  • souljah 20 Jul 2007 22:28:29 4,705 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    piratebrido wrote:

http://www.thegriphouse.co.uk/

I also do Tai Chi Chuan, because I am funky that way. I do much more grappling than the rest of it though. I would live in my Gi if I could!

Ahh Guy Ramseys place innit?

Really sound bloke. I used to train MT with him at Cally, then at Strathclyde once I started uni there. Fell out of it with sickness and a year and a bit later and I'm smoking again and pushing nearly 15 stone.

Really have to get back into it
  • Salaman 20 Jul 2007 22:39:53 24,153 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Groovemeister, I have access to a gym but fuck me I don't enjoy the gym.
    The gym routine they give you is pretty much
    - do some cycling/running/rowing
    - do some more cycling/weird stepping machine stuff
    - work on a few muscle groups on machines (upper legs, arms, back, whatever really)
    - do some sit-up style stuff

It's just all so dreadfully boring. I take about 45-60 minutes but from about 30 secs in I hate, am bored and want to quit. So it's probably no surprise I never manage to keep it up for more than a few weeks.

I do a lot of travelling for work, so it also breaks up any routing I try to enforce upon myself.

So forget the gym. I'd rather get into some different routing which I can so without getting into a gym.

I play badminton and once it starts again in September I'll make an effort to as much as I can (it;s 3 nights a week but I often can't make one due to travel). It gives you a good workout sort off but it's not really a sustained regular something like the rowing/running/cycling crap.
    Is it good enough though?

Oh .. goals wise, I'm not too concerned about weight. I have moved on from the neolithic, so I've no idea how many stone I wiegh. I weigh 73 Kg for 1.71m. At 18 i was about 63. That crept up to 65 in my early 20s. 68 in my mid 20s. 70 in my late 20s and I as I broke 30, the start of a small belly appeared, so I want to lose a little bit of weight and get rid of that.

BGiE once posted something interesting. He claimed that with people who sit all day (like me) the muscles at the front of your leg are constantly under some tension, which pulls on the pelvis and makes it tilt forward a fraction. This stretches the stomach muscles and compresses the lower spine causing lower back problems and a flabby stomach.
    It seems to be spot on for me, so the badminton should give the spine a bit of a workout after all the sitting on my ass. (lots of rotation and movement).

Right, so that's my goal really. Regain my stomach muscles which seem to have walked out and lose a small amount of weight. Is a consistently but rather small routine enough to try and achieve this? For example doing x amount of sit ups every night before bed or is that just a waste of time?
    Any other recommendations for simple things one can do when one is not inclined to go to the gym?
    I have a good spot where I can "hang" so I can for example hang and pull my knees up as well. I was sort of hoping a few of those little things some badminton, some knee/ups, some sit ups every week/day can make a bit of a difference if you stick to it long enough.

God that's long ^^
    Thanks for any words of wisdom you can share. :-)
  • Psychotext 20 Jul 2007 22:51:16 70,593 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    groovemeister wrote:
    Baked beans are actually a bit rubbish though, protein wise. Overhyped.
    Do they provide as much protein as tuna per gram, no, nor turkey etc. But I maintain that unless you become a training machine then the likelihood is that you'll get bored of eating the same crap all the time and likely lose your way.

Half of the battle is sustainability. So, when you're talking about getting a good deal of fibre, low gi carbs, protein and tomato for its antioxidant properties... beans rock. =)

Edited by Psychotext at 22:52:53 20-07-2007
  • piratebrido 20 Jul 2007 23:30:16 123 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Good stuff groove. I do exercise for function. Have a kettlebell and do swings, snatches, cleans and the like with it, explosive technique. I also like jumping lunges and burpees and the like.

Hate running. Really should do 20 mins or so in the morning. Does running at a slower steady pace still burn fat? Whats the min time you should run for in a session?
  • TwistidChimp 21 Jul 2007 01:13:02 8,825 posts
    Seen 14 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    groovemeister wrote:
    TwistidChimp wrote:
    Blimey, good response. For myself, i'm going to be doing a little bit of cardio type work, walk / jog for a half hour a day + a bit of Wii sports ;)

And ideally just free weights at home however many times a week is apropriate. I'm guessing 3 would be fine, different muscle groups each time or whatever you suggest. Is it possible to make reasonable gains using only a bench and free weights ? I'd sooner not have to join a gym again. The only affordable one near me sucks balls and half the machines dont work so.

Free weights far surpass machines. Machines have a restricted range of motion and don't utilise stabilising muscles.

Ideally as well as a bench you'd want a squat rack - this is to hold the bar up near shoulder height and then you'd take it onto your shoulders to do squats - the mother of all movements; it's a full leg workout in one movement and as it's such a compound movement that it advocates greater testosterone production, so that by doing your lower half you're even making your top half grow!

Anyway, typically a 3 day split is often:

chest/shoulders/tricep
    bicep/back
    legs/abs

Sets and reps of 3x10 or 4x6-8 work best

DAY 1
    -Bench press
    -Seated dumbbell shoulder press (important Ė do not use barbell for this, dumbbell gives better stimulation to medial shoulder muscle)
    -Tricep Ė take your pick here matey: http://www.exrx.net/Lists/ExList/ArmWt.html If you canít decide, just go for the close grip bench press.

DAY 2
    -Deadlifts
    -Pullover: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/LatissimusDorsi/BBPullover.html
    -Single bent over row or double armed lying row
    -Bicep curl

DAY 3
    -Squats. If you have difficulty getting a heavy enough weight to your shoulders, I suggest you give them a miss and do lunges or something instead. You really, REALLY should practice this with light weight @3x 15 for a couple of weeks first though.
    -Single leg calf raise. Bar on neck, one leg (shin) resting on the bench. With other leg go from flat foot to tip-toe and back.
    -Sit ups. No, no, no Ė 50 sit ups is not how to get abs. The stomach is like any other muscle, which means 3x10 or 4x6-8. So to make the 10 or 6-8 reps counts, you put weights discs on your chest, on the last one you should be stuck and unable to do another as with all exercise movements.

Understandably you wonít understand all this, but I canít explain everything, so just ask what you donít get and Iíll answer. 

This is a very simple routine. I could tweak it but it depends how hardcore you about wanting to weight train really.

Excellent, I shall get right on that. Simple is probably good to start with, since I dont have much experience I dont want to go and over complicate things :) I'll start the lifts with pretty light stuff, want to be sure i'm getting the movements right anyway.

Only questions I can think of at the moment is, when is the best time to lift during the day ? I'm working from home at the mo so its relativley easy for me to fit it in. Oh, and at what point should I fail btw, at the very end of the last set, or before ? And how long is good to leave between sets ?

Ah, and the Whey protein stuff I've heard good things about, is there a reputable place you can buy good protein suplements from & Is whey the best stuff ? I'm very careful with what I eat, so am very dubious of any of these dodgy powders that get pimped at various gyms.

Cheers again for all the advice.
  • Psychotext 21 Jul 2007 01:15:28 70,593 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    piratebrido wrote:
    Hate running. Really should do 20 mins or so in the morning. Does running at a slower steady pace still burn fat? Whats the min time you should run for in a session?
    Pretty much any exercise you do will burn fat, but specific fat burning rates are:

Healthy Heart Zone (Warm up) --- 50 - 60% of maximum heart rate: The easiest zone and probably the best zone for people just starting a fitness program. It can also be used as a warm up for more serious walkers. This zone has been shown to help decrease body fat, blood pressure and cholesterol. It also decreases the risk of degenerative diseases and has a low risk of injury. 85% of calories burned in this zone are fats!

Fitness Zone (Fat Burning) --- 60 - 70% of maximum heart rate: This zone provides the same benefits as the healthy heart zone, but is more intense and burns more total calories. The percent of fat calories is still 85%.

Aerobic Zone (Endurance Training) --- 70 - 80% of maximum heart rate: The aerobic zone will improve your cardiovascular and respiratory system AND increase the size and strength of your heart. This is the preferred zone if you are training for an endurance event. More calories are burned with 50% from fat.

Anaerobic Zone (Performance Training) --- 80 - 90% of maximum heart rate: Benefits of this zone include an improved VO2 maximum (the highest amount of oxygen one can consume during exercise) and thus an improved cardiorespiratory system, and a higher lactate tolerance ability which means your endurance will improve and you'll be able to fight fatigue better. This is a high intensity zone burning more calories, 15 % from fat.
    Edited by Psychotext at 01:17:05 21-07-2007
  • Psychotext 21 Jul 2007 01:16:45 70,593 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    TwistidChimp wrote:
    Only questions I can think of at the moment is, when is the best time to lift during the day ?
    Scientifically, cardio work is best done in the morning, weights in the afternoon. I can give you more info as to why, but it's boring science stuff. =)

As with my other posts I'll say that sort of crap is more for people at high levels. Work out when fits you best and doesn't feel like it sucks. That said, any sort of exercise in the morning kick starts your metabolism nicely.

Oh, and as for safe places to buy... Maximuscle seem to be on the level (I've been using their stuff for a while now). It's not cheap though, but compared to buying a ton of chicken breasts it isn't actually that far overpriced. =)

http://www.maximuscle.com/aboutus/qualitycontrol.html

Lots of useful info on their site too... but make sure you buy appropriately. You don't want something with all sorts of additions (creatine, Beta-Ecdysterone etc) unless you're happy using that sort of stuff and are aware of any potential side effects.

http://www.maximuscle.com/promaxnatural

That one has nothing in it bar whey protein.

Edited by Psychotext at 01:27:23 21-07-2007
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.