Following The Official Metal Appreciation ThreadŽ Page 387

• simpleexplodingmaybe 14 Jan 2018 09:29:05 6,486 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I listened to the Mastodon album a lot too and really liked it but its one of those where I'm not sure if it was the debut of a new band I'd have given as much time to. Like already being a fan of theirs definitely swayed me into giving it a lot more time.
  • samharper 14 Jan 2018 18:56:38 995 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I don't really like Emperor of Sand that much, a couple of decent tracks but find it quite a boring listen. Cold Dark Place on the other hand was one of my favourites of 2017, great atmosphere.
  • warlockuk 15 Jan 2018 09:24:05 19,418 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    Probably Heartless by Pallbearer given how much I've listened to it
    I think this was my favourite album last year, too - I only actually listened to it in November or so but now I can't stop listening to it. So good. I bought another copy as a Christmas presents for a friend. Dude's voice is great.

On a tangent... I've always written off Alter Bridge as "That band that came after that Christian band", but watching someone else listen to it has made me realise they actually have some interesting stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud0dXMrOAiI

Good channel, it's quite interesting having that step back to see stuff we all know and love heard objectively through the ears of people unfamiliar with the genres.
  • OllyJ 15 Jan 2018 13:03:16 4,045 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @warlockuk That channel is great!! I'm so into seeing them start to "get" metal. the Hallowed be thy name one is brilliant.
  • Dr.Haggard 15 Jan 2018 13:26:08 4,639 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I love those guys. The only thing that bugs me is whenever I watch them the recommended videos show other 'reaction' channels reacting to exactly the same songs (though none of the ones I've actually watched have an ounce of the charm of the Lost in Vegas guys). Seems there are loads of these type of channels and they all get bombarded by people requesting exactly the same predictable stuff to them.
  • OllyJ 15 Jan 2018 14:11:02 4,045 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I love how they rate Lars so highly, it's perfect. love it.
  • warlockuk 15 Jan 2018 15:11:25 19,418 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Haha! I love watching them lose their shit to Megadeth, and being bored or put off by other stuff.

They're definitely doing the best version of this channel. The other ones just seem to be people smiling and nodding followed by "I like this" and some other hyperbole that doesn't actually match the reaction they seemed to have.
  • OllyJ 15 Jan 2018 16:45:34 4,045 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Oh yeah, they were so unimpressed by Blood and Thunder, which for me...is fair.
  • StixxUK 15 Jan 2018 22:20:17 7,894 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    They lost their shit to Gojira Heaviest matter of the universe... also fair!
  • OllyJ 16 Jan 2018 11:30:58 4,045 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah that video put a big stupid smile on my face.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.