Following The Official Metal Appreciation Thread® Page 394

• FuzzyDucky 17 Apr 2018 18:17:44 3,498 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Bichii wrote:
    So I basically had on countdown, peace sells and youthansia on constantly this week. I really don't get the praise for peace, sure there are a few Amazing songs but as a whole its nothing on the other two
    CHRIS POLAND
    H
    R
    I
    S

P
    O
    L
    A
    N
    D

And Gar Samuelson is the best drummer they ever had. And Mega Dave was off his tits on drugs and was still spitting piss and vinegar over Metallica.
  • GoatApocalypse 17 Apr 2018 19:06:26 4,489 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thrash is shit.
  • OllyJ 18 Apr 2018 11:52:19 4,175 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Gig Last night:

Venom Prison

Kinda Meh, standard techy, beatdown death metal. Nothing unique or amazing interesting, but solid all the same. Wouldn't rush to see them or listen to them again.

Power Trip

Thought they were effin GREAT! So much fun, ok the songs are a bit samey, but they are so clear and tight, riffs are so tasty that it really does not matter.

Code Orange

Fuck....did I not like these turds. On record, I've found a few tracks I like,, they've even gone in my running playlist....but live, what a bunch of ballsacks, miserably try hard, zero fun, all aggro, all posing pure garbage, hated every loathesome second. And no matter how many spin kicks your bassist does, bands with singing drummers are weird to watch (unless they are Absu).

One of the worst live experiences I've ever had, I was close to leaving.

Trivium

Liked them when I was a teen/twentysomething then didn't listen to them until recently, I thought they were excellent, really good fun, high energy, tight as fuck, pretty bloody heavy throughout. To be honest I can't help but like Matt Heafy, you can tell the band are so into it, crowd was amazing, so it was great. Absolutely will be a regular attendee at their shows from now, think they piss all over the likes of Machine Head.

All in all, a tale of two gigs. Two miserable serious bands that really wore me out, and two high energy fun bands that saved it all from being a massively tiring night of try hard shenanigans.
  • Bichii 18 Apr 2018 14:32:59 770 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Omfg megadeth in June might be a rust in peace set! I need to get my butt in gear and get those tickets.

Today has turned into a garden and alcohol day with rust in peace, countdown and youthansia on repeat. It's been amazing. I'm so happy and drunk.

Praise the sun!
  • Dr.Haggard 18 Apr 2018 17:52:07 4,639 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    All this talk of Megadeth and not one mention of SFSGSW? Pointless cover of Anarchy in the UK notwithstanding, it's obviously the best Megadeth album.
  • thelzdking 18 Apr 2018 18:59:49 8,561 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I reckon everything from Killing Is My Business to Youthanasia is worthwhile.
  • GoatApocalypse 18 Apr 2018 21:27:11 4,489 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Swallowed - Lunarterial

https://youtu.be/p3SlnJdnZUA

An utter fucking ordeal of an album. Total death desecration, zero fucks given Finnish filth.

Honestly feel like throwing up after listening to this.
  • GoatApocalypse 18 Apr 2018 21:33:23 4,489 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    THE LAST TRACK IS 25 MINUTES LONG I MEAN WHAT THE FUCK
  • Beetroot_Bertie 19 Apr 2018 10:14:33 425 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    GoatApocalypse wrote:
    An utter fucking ordeal of an album. Total death desecration, zero fucks given Finnish filth.

Honestly feel like throwing up after listening to this.
    Does this mean you liked it or not? I honestly can't tell :)
  • GoatApocalypse 19 Apr 2018 22:00:33 4,489 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Beetroot_Bertie

It's a masterpiece. Highly recommended.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 19 Apr 2018 22:24:02 7,968 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    New Sleep album!!!!!
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 20 Apr 2018 07:33:58 7,968 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    *slow heavy metal playing*

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/stream-sleeps-first-album-in-15-years-the-sciences/
  • Beetroot_Bertie 20 Apr 2018 13:32:07 425 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Master Boot Record has released a new album which might appeal to those of you that like his sythesized/chip tune form of metal. Has some vocals this time round too...

Master Boot Record - Direct Memory Access

If you like your synthwave cinematic, Hollywood Burns' latest is smashing. Really enjoying this one.

Hollywood Burns - Invaders
  • Bichii 24 Apr 2018 09:38:35 770 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    FuzzyDucky wrote:
    Bichii wrote:
    So I basically had on countdown, peace sells and youthansia on constantly this week. I really don't get the praise for peace, sure there are a few Amazing songs but as a whole its nothing on the other two
    CHRIS POLAND
    H
    R
    I
    S

P
    O
    L
    A
    N
    D

And Gar Samuelson is the best drummer they ever had. And Mega Dave was off his tits on drugs and was still spitting piss and vinegar over Metallica.
    I'm aware this is so unlike me but yeah I was talking shite, it's awesome now I've given it more attention. :D.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 24 Apr 2018 10:57:24 7,968 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The second episode of Pod Minutes to Cast Night (the Two Minutes to Late Night podcast) is out and its on Megadeth Super Collider.

Basically each episode they listen to a record with a bad reputation and try to find the good in it. Episode 1 on St.Anger is very good.

• drhickman1983 5 May 2018 16:21:54 5,530 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Listening to the new Ihsahn album, Ámr.

Much in the same vein as Arktis, it's not really black metal, more prog metal. Lot more synth this time too. Like John Carpenter style analogue synths. Or the Transformers: The Movie soundtrack.

The whole thing does sound quite eighties inflected, in a good way. Need to listen a few more times but on first listen I enjoy it.
  • DrStrangelove 5 May 2018 17:21:09 13,231 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    drhickman1983 wrote:
    The whole thing does sound quite eighties inflected, in a good way.
    Good way of being eighties? Is there any other way of being eighties?
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 8 May 2018 12:19:56 7,968 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Guns n Roses are quietly abandoning One in a Million. Presumably because it's massively racist.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/may/08/guns-n-roses-remove-song-homophobic-racist-language-one-million-reissue-album

The actual music is alright
  • Drakesmoke 8 May 2018 23:21:59 463 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    drhickman1983 wrote:

Much in the same vein as Arktis, it's not really black metal, more prog metal. Lot more synth this time too. Like John Carpenter style analogue synths. Or the Transformers: The Movie soundtrack.

The whole thing does sound quite eighties inflected, in a good way. Need to listen a few more times but on first listen I enjoy it.
    It's not as good as Arktis IMO but is still a triumph like most of his discography. Look up some of his recent interviews about the approach to the album and views on metal and his history, interesting stuff. He's very intelligent.

He still calls it Black btw.

Also worth a listen, is Leprous. They have in the past effectively been Ihashn's backing band (think he's changed it up now). 'Coal' is a good album with some Ihsahn guest spots (try 'Contaminate Me') Their singer has this very melodramatic, multi octave thing. In turn he's on a few Ihsahn songs. Notably the first track on Eremita I'm sure is him. Don't expect lots of heaviness.
  • drhickman1983 8 May 2018 23:48:23 5,530 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Drakesmoke wrote:
    drhickman1983 wrote:

It's not as good as Arktis IMO but is still a triumph like most of his discography. Look up some of his recent interviews about the approach to the album and views on metal and his history, interesting stuff. He's very intelligent.

He still calls it Black btw.

Also worth a listen, is Leprous. They have in the past effectively been Ihashn's backing band (think he's changed it up now). 'Coal' is a good album with some Ihsahn guest spots (try 'Contaminate Me') Their singer has this very melodramatic, multi octave thing. In turn he's on a few Ihsahn songs. Notably the first track on Eremita I'm sure is him. Don't expect lots of heaviness.
    I've been listening to Ámr a lot over the last few days since I got it. Like on repeat.

I'm probably inclined to agree that Arktis is better, but I'm a sucker for analogue synth sounds.

Regardless of what Ihsahn himself says, it's hard to really call it black metal. A couple of songs maybe fall into that category, but the album as a whole doesn't It might come from from the same emotional wellspring that inspires black metal, but it's seems daft to call it black metal.

IIRC the Leprous singer did a fucking awesome job on the Arktis track 'Celestial Violence'.
  • FuzzyDucky 11 May 2018 01:00:50 3,498 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Tim Calvert of Forbidden and Nevermore passed away there at the end of April. Shit buzz, great player.

Then he packed in music to become a pilot! Cool dude for sure, RIP.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 11 May 2018 13:46:23 7,968 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    SLAYERRR

SLAYERRRRRRRRRRRRR
  • Chug666 14 May 2018 09:42:44 458 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm enduring the morning after tinnitus from Machine Head in Southampton last night. No support act, just 2 1/2 hours of headline, and I think they managed to play something from every album (even Supercharger). Bloody good gig, but slightly marred by a mosh pit injury cutting the encore short (hope the guy that got flattened is ok...).

Edited by Chug666 at 09:43:06 14-05-2018
  • Duffking 18 May 2018 11:04:40 15,873 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Today:

New Amorphis! New At the Gates! New Gazpacho!

A good day.
  • wuntyphyve 18 May 2018 12:09:08 10,859 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Can't wait to hear the new Amorphis later. They are so consistent in churning out amazing albums.
  • wuntyphyve 18 May 2018 12:12:51 10,859 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Also, Slayer tickets bought this morning. Quite excited.
  • devil_badger 18 May 2018 13:00:29 808 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cracked on Amorphis on the way to work and got through most of it. Think what I've heard is great! Can't wait to see them next month.
  • Duffking 19 May 2018 00:52:01 15,873 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    God Amorphis are just so fucking good
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 19 May 2018 15:22:40 7,968 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    wuntyphyve wrote:
    Also, Slayer tickets bought this morning. Quite excited.
    Ditto(head)

SLAYERRRRR
  • StixxUK 19 May 2018 19:22:59 8,009 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Amorphis really have nailed the perfect balance of catchy folk melodies and proper heaviness to take the edge off the cheese. Loving it!

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.