Following The Official Metal Appreciation ThreadŽ Page 397

• simpleexplodingmaybe 10 Aug 2018 09:03:27 8,367 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I saw them earlier in the tour and it was the best show I've seen them play (out of four)
  • DakeyrasUK 10 Aug 2018 10:08:07 2,083 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    I saw them earlier in the tour and it was the best show I've seen them play (out of four)
    Great to hear! I struggle to rank the shows I've seen as they are my favourite band I love them all. Have long since lost count of the number now. Certainly more than 10 maybe as much as 15...

I'm really looking forward to Flight of Icarus as it was the first maiden single I bought as part of a re-release in the mid-late 90s!

They won't be playing Infinite dreams looking at the set lists and this is the one song that would make it the best show for me!
  • StixxUK 10 Aug 2018 12:03:28 8,034 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    I'm always surprised to see Bossk on stuff like that because I'm always positive they stopped being a band yonks ago
    I fucking love Bossk. One of the most underrated bands out there, pretty sure they did stop for a few years.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 10 Aug 2018 12:33:35 8,367 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @DakeyrasUK I don't have all four ranked but this was the best. Just unstoppable momentum and hit after hit after hit
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 10 Aug 2018 12:50:23 8,367 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The paperless ticket thing and security checks went a bit wrong so most people took an hour to get in and missed most of Killswitch Engage so maybe turn up early
  • GoatApocalypse 10 Aug 2018 15:07:08 4,856 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think you'll find that by Lemmy's own admission, they play rock'n'roll.
  • StixxUK 11 Aug 2018 15:12:05 8,034 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    So far highlights were suicidal tendencies, priest and power trip. Gojira tonight!
  • RichDC 11 Aug 2018 18:09:20 7,974 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Really kicking myself for not buying a ticket to the Maiden shows. Good knows what my reasoning was when they were released and i thought 'Nah, don't fancy that'! :confused::mad:
  • GoatApocalypse 11 Aug 2018 18:15:13 4,856 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tool - Lateralus

Using the golden ratio to compose psychedelic prog rock? Yes, please.

https://youtu.be/uOHkeH2VaE0

Edited by GoatApocalypse at 18:15:22 11-08-2018
  • GoatApocalypse 11 Aug 2018 18:30:32 4,856 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm not a huge Tool fan but when they get it right, it's staggeringly brilliant.
  • Beetroot_Bertie 16 Aug 2018 22:46:20 425 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Looks like Randy Rampage has died. RIP - got a bit of a soft spot for Annihilator's debut :(
  • GoatApocalypse 23 Aug 2018 07:59:50 4,856 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I know I've harped on about it at length before, but Messa's Belfry is utterly spectacular. I haven't listened to it much over the summer but as the seasons turn to autumn, I've had it back on again.

It's a masterpiece.
  • StixxUK 25 Aug 2018 13:39:07 8,034 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Anyone listened to Jamey Jasta's podcast? Fucking hell that guy can talk a lot about a little.

I reckon a solid 10 mins of talking about sponsorships and merch. He had the guys from Converge on so I thought I'd listen, but couldn't make it through that.

However the musical snippets that break up sections "ANSWER SOME FUCKING EMAILS MOTHERFUCKER" were entertaining at least!
  • GoatApocalypse 31 Aug 2018 07:46:47 4,856 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    New Mare album is it
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 3 Sep 2018 13:34:17 8,367 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Ozzy & Priest are touring together!
  • Marylle 3 Sep 2018 14:34:18 7 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    I know this comes up a lot when we are talking about metal. I know that a lot of metalheads are into heavy metal the classics Metallica, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Megadeth, Slayer, Dio, anything between the lines of serious metal, the bands who waved the metal flags well before the modern music revolution of djenting, mixing anything playful these days.
    I was wondering what do you think about new-age bands coming up these days, with lyrical pallet of conscious self awareness, spirituality, all of that mystical element in life?

I am more between everything, but lately i've been listening to a lot of Northlane, Silent Planet, Architects, Make Them Suffer etc you get the point.
    I feel these bands appeared when i was going through some weird nirvanic state in my life, it made so much sense in what they are singing about.

Just interested to know the opinions, i've met so many hardcore metalheads they don't like the idea of these bands and i've met new age oldschoolers, so it's very mixed
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 3 Sep 2018 15:48:27 8,367 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    As far as current bands go I'm generally a slow metal guy - Pallbearer, Bell Witch, Earth, Sunn O))), SubRosa, Bong that sort of thing.

Or bits of atmospheric black metal Wolves in the Throne Room and bands that sounds like them.

They're not explicitly new age-y but the peacefulness and trancelike qualities are a big part of the appeal to me. SubRosa would be the most overtly "spiritual" I suppose.

But then Hawkwind are huge contenders for my all time favourite band ever.
  • samharper 3 Sep 2018 15:50:58 1,039 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    To be fair a lot of people wouldn't define metalcore, which all those bands are, as metal. I don't really care for the labels myself but it can make discussion a bit of a pain in the arse.

I barely listen to "classic" heavy metal any more outside of ...And Justice for All. I still listen to tons of melodic death like early-mid In Flames or Insomnium or Dark Tranquillity, but I love Architects and Northlane (check out Invent, Animate for more of that Discoveries/Singularity sound) and loads of other modern metal/hardcore bands as well.

Not all modern metal is a djent fest though. Deafheaven's latest album is fantastic, Thy Art is Murder's latest is one of the best death metal albums I've ever heard, and Dyscarnate are making some absolutely ass-kicking death metal too. Sylosis is my absolute favourite band, and they play in standard tuning, I love everything they've put out to this point and will continue to fanboy them hard until they either get shit or disband (and with Josh Middleton joining Architects unfortunately the latter seems more likely, even if they're currently recording), but they've only been around for 10 years or so.

The more hardcore side of the spectrum is really interesting too, Knocked Loose have perfected the hyper-aggressive chug fests (like Code Orange but 1,000,000x better), Enter Shikari never fail to do something interesting, and Loathe are making some of the most unique heavy music out there.

Edited by samharper at 15:54:43 03-09-2018
  • JonFE 3 Sep 2018 17:04:59 1,869 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Northlane, Silent Planet, Architects, Make Them Suffer,Pallbearer, Bell Witch, Earth, Sunn O))), SubRosa, Bong, Wolves in the Throne Room, Architects, Northlane, Deafheaven, Thy Art is Murder, Dyscarnate, Knocked Loose, Enter Shikari, Loathe
    Lots of names I'm not familiar with; gosh, I feel old and boring... :confused:
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 3 Sep 2018 17:19:42 8,367 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    If you no what Sleep or the first four Sabbath album sound like you'll be well in the ballpark for where I am these days.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 3 Sep 2018 17:26:29 8,367 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Scratch that. First five Sabbath albums
  • DrStrangelove 3 Sep 2018 17:35:33 13,330 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    No love for Sabotage? I mean, Hole In the Sky. Or Symptom of the Universe, the first thrash metal song ever.
  • JonFE 3 Sep 2018 17:51:09 1,869 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Well, I do know Sabbath (and Sleep for that matter, but I wouldn't listen to them nowadays), but, to be honest, I just cannot keep up with all these new bands. In fact, I can barely keep up with the old ones :)

I'm almost 50 and have been listening to metal since my early teens, I've witnessed the "birth" of a lot metal genres and followed them (some more than others), but at some point, I feel, one has to filter through the plethora of available music and settle down with whatever sounds familiar or interesting enough.

Unfortunately, new bands (for me at least) have to compete with many past bands that have been listened repeatedly over the decades, during years where my disposable time was more (unlike my income) and everything could leave a mark... which, I know, is unfair for the new bands, but that how it is...

Edit: That's not meant to say that all new bands are bad or anything; just they must offer something that will make a dent...

Edited by JonFE at 17:53:31 03-09-2018
  • DrStrangelove 3 Sep 2018 18:50:15 13,330 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Post deleted
  • GoatApocalypse 3 Sep 2018 21:51:36 4,856 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mare - Spheres Like Death

This is such a great EP. It's only four tracks long, and two of them are "proper" songs, but bloody hell it delivers. Can't wait for the new album to arrive - it's the first 2018 release I've bought, I think, along with Urfaust.

Speaking of whom:

This is something of an oxymoron, but Urfaust is the most unique band I can think of. Absolutely nothing that I'm aware of sounds even vaguely similar to Urfaust. It's certainly an acquired taste but once you've got it, there's nothing comes close.
  • GoatApocalypse 3 Sep 2018 21:52:18 4,856 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've been going through a weird emotional headfuck of late that culminated in a bit of a broken heart, so I've been listening to some real mopey shit.

It's good to be back.

Edited by GoatApocalypse at 22:55:46 03-09-2018
  • thelzdking 3 Sep 2018 22:32:38 8,658 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Metalcore's heyday was the '90s and early '00s IMO: Integrity, Unbroken, Shai Hulud, Earth Crisis, Converge, Walls of Jericho etc. A lot of the newer stuff just sounds like extra-chuggy, extra-growly, extra-haircutty nu-metal to me with very little discernable hardcore influence.

As for death/black metal there are some good newer bands, but frankly few get listened to more than a dozen times before I go back to the classics as they don't offer much truly new. Djent and all that atmospheric black metal can fuck right off.

As someone said above the slower stuff is good.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.