• JonFE 4 Sep 2018 08:42:51 1,857 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Thread fix(?)
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 4 Sep 2018 08:57:03 7,959 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    No love for Sabotage? I mean, Hole In the Sky. Or Symptom of the Universe, the first thrash metal song ever.
    It's fine and certainly has its moments but it's a bit of a disjointed mess in places too. Just lacks that identity each of the others has.

I honestly think as an end to end experience I listen to Never Say Die more
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 4 Sep 2018 12:29:38 7,959 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'm pretty behind on what is coming the rest of the year but Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs are right at the top of my anticipation list

• DrStrangelove 4 Sep 2018 16:35:52 13,208 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @simpleexplodingmaybe

I hear you, Sabotage definitely is disjointed, they're clearly beginning to fall apart. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath was a well-built whole, this is not. That infamous botched cover art kinda fits the mess inside.

Still a good amount of awesomeness and classics in there, and with those two songs some of their heaviest stuff.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 5 Sep 2018 13:33:12 7,959 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    On the other hand I think the Heaven & Hell reunion album is terrific and it only has one properly good song on it.

So much relish in the delivery from Dio here

• BeheretiK 8 Sep 2018 11:51:04 910 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Anyone here fans of Madder Mortem? They are probably one of the most criminally underappreciated metal bands around. New album releases 21st of September and songs released so far sound great:

Also, new Archgoat later this month. And Transcending Obscurity announced a new album from Death Metal legends Master...

/sploosh
  • JonFE 8 Sep 2018 13:39:59 1,857 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @BeheretiK I remember them from a song called "Armour" I think, which I liked at the time but unfortunately got buried in my pile of interesting-yet-never-to-be-listened-again bands. Shame on me, I will check them out again...

Later tonight I'll be watching Leprous live, along with Agent Fresco, who I don't know...
  • BeheretiK 8 Sep 2018 14:12:54 910 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @JonFE They have a great back catalog going back almost 20 years now. Not prolific in terms of albums necessarily but quality has always been stellar. Great songwriting will always stand out and they know their way around writing a good song!

Enjoy your gig tonight! :-)
  • JonFE 8 Sep 2018 15:40:02 1,857 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @BeheretiK Will do, thanks!
  • GoatApocalypse 11 Sep 2018 08:23:22 4,485 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Do not mistake me for a star
    Though I shine like them at night
    But behold instead the darkness in between them
    The Devil's light

https://youtu.be/5rswT58Jfc4

Lakes Darkness isn't a particularly good album, but I love this track. I put that down to Selim Lemouchi's influence.
  • wuntyphyve 11 Sep 2018 12:15:23 10,858 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I downloaded Dead and Alive by Parasite Inc yesterday and I've not been able to stop listening to it. It's right up my street. Didn't seem to review particularly well so my taste is obviously skewed.
  • StixxUK 13 Sep 2018 13:31:42 8,009 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Been rinsing the last Meshuggah live album, The Ophidian Trek, recently.

It's absolutely brilliant, so well produced and just impossibly clear and heavy, really blows the studio albums away in terms of sound imho.

Rational Gaze into Obzen (the latter being probably my favourite Meshuggah song)
  • bighairybear65 13 Sep 2018 13:36:24 256 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Saw Ghost at weekend in the Albert Hall not much of fan went along for the ride so to speak... but they were great!!
    Huge following too, the crowd loved them
    Shall investigate their albums.. 🤘
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 13 Sep 2018 15:15:44 7,959 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I love Ghost but they're generally quite guilty of having maybe a third of an album totally kill, a third be ok and a third be completely forgettable.

When they get it right though, oh man, so huge
  • GoatApocalypse 13 Sep 2018 22:08:10 4,485 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I don't think I've promoted In Solitude in a while, so here you go

https://youtu.be/QzRyOSz2fjE
  • GoatApocalypse 14 Sep 2018 21:41:51 4,485 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The misery that radiates from this album is just delicious.

https://youtu.be/Szc5YievPPw

The Ruins of Beverast are fucking amazing and this is probably their masterpiece. If you don't like it, you're wrong, and definitely not metal.

Edited by GoatApocalypse at 22:16:19 14-09-2018
  • GoatApocalypse 21 Sep 2018 20:10:33 4,485 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    I love Ghost but they're generally quite guilty of having maybe a third of an album totally kill, a third be ok and a third be completely forgettable.

When they get it right though, oh man, so huge
    Life Eternal is currently my jam
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 28 Sep 2018 22:02:42 7,959 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Half of Machine Head have quit so Robb Flynn has announced the current tour is now a farewell tour

http://loudwire.com/machine-head-farewell-tour-members-quit-statement-video/

While Through The Ashes of Empires was the last album I really liked I still think this is a bit of a bummer since they were so important to getting 1990s teenage Maybe into metal.

Burn My Eyes sounds fearsome and fresh with absolutely on point modern day production still now today
  • Drakesmoke 28 Sep 2018 22:50:03 459 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @simpleexplodingmaybe

Whilst I actually liked good portions of the last album, cracks have been showing. I think they are victims to both Flynn's self indulgence, ego and control, and to an extent agitators online who targeted them for their politics.

I could never tell if the antagonistic stuff thrown at them was from the actual fan base or if it was just amplified internet vitriol from those on the political opposite (god knows we see it enough in gaming and film too). Sadly I suspect that it was both judging from the pictures of tiny/empty venues they were posting on their social media.

The 'folk' anti-Trump song was objectively cringe as hell even if you liked the sentiment. If you ever saw Flynn's 'slam poetry' version, it was even worse.

On the 'Flynn as possible dictator' side, guitarist Phil Demmel admitted in a tweet that he wasn't supposed to discuss the band with the press before deleting all his social media shortly after the last album dropped.

Sad indeed. Bloodstone and Diamonds is a later period album you should check out BTW.
  • DakeyrasUK 28 Sep 2018 22:55:17 1,998 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I am gutted by this news. I saw them for the 4th time at the Camden roundhouse in May. It was the best show I have seen them do. Absolutely enthralling and heavy...

Personally the more I have listened to the latest album catharsis the more I love it. Blood stones and diamond is better though.

Definitely worth giving them a few play throughs imo.
  • samharper 29 Sep 2018 00:57:51 1,028 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I actually agree with most of Flynn's politics but Catharsis was really terrible song writing wise. Brilliant production but poorly constructed songs.

Really liked Bloodstone and Diamonds but obviously Unto The Locust (I Am Hell... amazing) and especially The Blackening are just sublime. Ending an album with three 10 minute songs back to back and actually pulling it off is incredible, and the three of them (Halo, Wolves, A Farewell to Arms) are just excellent tracks.

Never got to see them live with this line up, but I'm not all that fussed as I'm really not into their nu-metal material. Burn My Eyes is good and Through the Ashes of Empires has some good tracks but the other early albums I'm not big on. Still, shame I never got to see A Farewell to Arms live. McClain is a fantastic drummer.
  • drhickman1983 29 Sep 2018 01:14:10 5,529 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Been listening to the new Anaal Nathrakh album.

It's odd. Overall it's a bit more on the industrial and -core side of their palette, but contains a couple of blackened grind moments. I can see why some people have criticised the prominence of beat-down chugging over riffing.

It kind of reminds me of their Hell is Empty album.

Biggest curveball is the King Diamond-esque shrill, nasal vocals that crop up here and there. Not sure if I think they "work", but the more I've listened to it the more I've accepted them, and it's now hard to imagine the songs without them.

Each track on the album is fairly individual to the others too, by veering into different aspects of their sound, so it avoids the problem some of their albums have had where songs blur into one.

If you don't like them I doubt there's anything here that would change your mind, but I'm fairly happy with it.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 29 Sep 2018 09:10:07 7,959 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The Blackening was certainly a decent album but it just never grabbed me.

It was interesting listening to the Two Minutes To Late Night podcast about The Burning Red and hearing them say Machine Head can obviously play but that they were always too safe compared to the Panteras of the scene. I think there's something in that. For all every metal fan I've know has liked them a lot I don't think they're a band many people really loved.
  • Drakesmoke 29 Sep 2018 10:47:15 459 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The Burning Red actually has a special place in my heart tbh, I have vivid memories of getting a bus into town after sixth form after reading about them in Kerrang!, sitting in the station looking at the insert imagining what they would sound like, and then getting home thinking it was the heaviest stuff in the world. I bought Around The Fur on the same trip. Good times. Our Price was the shop! It's a simple album but it's bassy and groovy as hell and there are some bangers on it, Exhale the Vile for one, and the title track is genuinely haunting for me. Robb's clean vocals on that album are great.

Supercharger for me remains Machine Head's one real misstep and even there, some songs are cool.

I do feel they latched onto the twin harmony lead thing a bit much in their latter, post Blackening phase, veering into Trivium-esque 'let's be epic at all times' territory. When it worked it really worked though. A lot of kids got on board around The Blackening.

Seeing them in Manchester was always an experience and you could see that they held the UK audience in high regard. Like Hendrix, we really got them before their own country ever really did. Sadly I don't think the US ever loved them but they did gangbusters business in Europe.

I also for the avoidance of doubt very much am with Robb Flynn in his politics. He played with fire being so overt with it in today's toxic online climate though, and I think he got burned.
  • Duffking 29 Sep 2018 11:03:06 15,871 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    When you look at the bands Flynn's been in throughout his career and the albums he's put out there's a fairly noticeable pattern of him basically just doing whatever he thinks is cool at any given point in time.

I guess around Catharsis he lost that ability. His whining about not getting good reviews probably didn't help.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 29 Sep 2018 11:08:47 7,959 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I've not kept up with Flynn's politics but I did appreciate him and Scott Ian being just about the only high profile guys in bands to call Anselmo out for giving it "white power" and Hitler salutes that time.

I can imagine a lot of the toxic dickheads who populate metal forums online being very unhappy with that.

I get the observation/criticsism(?) of him following trends too but who isn't influenced by what's going on around them.

It's really dated but I still have a big soft spot for Burning Red as far as numetal goes.

Edited by simpleexplodingmaybe at 11:09:21 29-09-2018
  • FuzzyDucky 29 Sep 2018 11:10:07 3,486 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Turgid band. They peaked at the intro to Davidian.

Good riddance.
  • FuzzyDucky 29 Sep 2018 11:15:51 3,486 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    He didn't just go with influences though, he jumped on every bandwagon he could.
  • thelzdking 29 Sep 2018 22:42:02 8,553 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    FuzzyDucky wrote:
    Turgid band. They peaked at the intro to Davidian.

Good riddance.
    Yep, it says something when everything is downhill after the opening song on your first record.

Still much better than Pantera ever were though.
  • StixxUK 30 Sep 2018 16:07:27 8,009 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Couldn't tell from the article, are Demmel and McClain playing on the farewell tour?

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.