Following The Official Metal Appreciation ThreadŽ Page 399

• Duffking 30 Sep 2018 17:21:54 15,871 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    FuzzyDucky wrote:
    Turgid band. They peaked at the intro to Davidian.

Good riddance.
    Unto the Locus was kinda good IMO, the Blackening minus the "lets make all these songs really long because that'll make us look like a proper and serious band" sections. Why is clenching the fists of dissent like 10 minutes long? Answers on a postcard.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 30 Sep 2018 17:49:13 7,958 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Blackening definitely felt like a band trying to be something in a way that Ashes of Empires didn't
  • pk1980 30 Sep 2018 18:59:17 1,123 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The opening sentence probably sums up Machine Head for a few of you.

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Machine_Head/The_Burning_Red/3529/hells_unicorn/29518
  • DrStrangelove 30 Sep 2018 21:07:53 13,202 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Heh it actually made me listen to that album. And alas, it's shite. A good summary of Machine Head.
  • FuzzyDucky 30 Sep 2018 21:13:00 3,485 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Duffking wrote:
    FuzzyDucky wrote:
    Turgid band. They peaked at the intro to Davidian.

Good riddance.
    Unto the Locus was kinda good IMO, the Blackening minus the "lets make all these songs really long because that'll make us look like a proper and serious band" sections. Why is clenching the fists of dissent like 10 minutes long? Answers on a postcard.
    Because the cunt was jumping on another bandwagon.
  • StixxUK 1 Oct 2018 23:19:20 8,009 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Anyone listened to the new Horrendous album?

Really liking it so far, the guy's voice is kind of terrifying and the music a good blend of weird and fuck yeah!
  • Duffking 1 Oct 2018 23:50:32 15,871 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah it's great. Heads for the Dead is good too.

• Drakesmoke 2 Oct 2018 08:34:29 459 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Does anyone like Machine Head
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 2 Oct 2018 12:49:40 7,958 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Me!

But only in the sense that I like dipping back into my teenage sounds
  • samharper 2 Oct 2018 13:17:25 1,028 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    StixxUK wrote:
    Couldn't tell from the article, are Demmel and McClain playing on the farewell tour?
    Yes, weirdly it's a farewell tour for them but the band's going to keep going.

And me, but only Ashes of Empires -> Bloodstone and Diamonds, plus some of Burn My Eyes.

Edited by samharper at 13:18:06 02-10-2018
  • HabUK 2 Oct 2018 15:40:55 5 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @StixxUK I've listened to Horrendous from their first album, the way they've evolved is amazing, still not had time to get properly stuck into the new one yet, but whatbive heard sounds amazing!
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 2 Oct 2018 17:13:46 7,958 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    samharper wrote:
    StixxUK wrote:
    Couldn't tell from the article, are Demmel and McClain playing on the farewell tour?
    Yes, weirdly it's a farewell tour for them but the band's going to keep going.

And me, but only Ashes of Empires -> Bloodstone and Diamonds, plus some of Burn My Eyes.
    Kiss did that for Peter and Ace after the reunion ended.

Phil Demmel is not Ace Frehley
  • DakeyrasUK 2 Oct 2018 21:46:39 1,998 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I only own Ashes of empires, blood stone and diamonds and catharsis of their studio albums and Hell alive live album.

I think the vast majority of the tracks on those albums are great.

I was a little confused at the talk of their new metal sound so checked out their 1999 album with the blood the sweat the tears on and yeah some of those tracks are weak.

None the less I still would not describe them as nu metal. Always put them as thrash/heavy metal like metallica, pantera, slayer etc.

At any rate they have released 3 quality albums in my mind since I got into them at 17 at the start of the millennium. Which is 3 more than Metallica have done in the same time.

They are also responsible for me discovering Death and the phenomenal Sound of Perseverance due to them being clear influences on their riffs.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 3 Oct 2018 00:01:58 7,958 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'd say they have two numetal albums (Burning Red and Supercharger) but the rest are all more thrash and groove influenced

Which makes sense given the Vio-Lence link
  • FuzzyDucky 3 Oct 2018 03:21:26 3,485 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The chord progressions Flynn uses are fucking terrible.
    Any half decent riff is going to be punctuated by squeely fake harmonics.
    Flynn can't sing.
    His lyrics are so bad he would make a teenager embarrassed. He's a man in his 50s.
    The man has zero self awareness and believes his own hype.

To hear Machine Head lumped in with Metallica and Slayer makes my toes curl. Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, ...And Justice for All, Reign in Blood (Reign in fucking Blood, guys!), South of Heaven, Seasons in the Abyss... err, The More Things Change? Burn My Eyes? This is a pisstake I'm not in on, right? (I won't even think of Death being mentioned in the same breath as I'll have an aneurysm).

Machine Head represent pretty much everything wrong with music to me and the fact that Flynn has had a career lasting more than six months is one of the great mysteries of the modern world.

Burn my fucking ears, please.
  • Ddanno 3 Oct 2018 05:08:20 1,296 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    https://m.imgur.com/a/TCGlDBu

:D
  • GoatApocalypse 3 Oct 2018 06:23:26 4,485 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    FuzzyDucky wrote:
    The chord progressions Flynn uses are fucking terrible.
    Any half decent riff is going to be punctuated by squeely fake harmonics.
    Flynn can't sing.
    His lyrics are so bad he would make a teenager embarrassed. He's a man in his 50s.
    The man has zero self awareness and believes his own hype.

To hear Machine Head lumped in with Metallica and Slayer makes my toes curl. Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, ...And Justice for All, Reign in Blood (Reign in fucking Blood, guys!), South of Heaven, Seasons in the Abyss... err, The More Things Change? Burn My Eyes? This is a pisstake I'm not in on, right? (I won't even think of Death being mentioned in the same breath as I'll have an aneurysm).

Machine Head represent pretty much everything wrong with music to me and the fact that Flynn has had a career lasting more than six months is one of the great mysteries of the modern world.

Burn my fucking ears, please.
    This.

And, I feel the same way about Fear Factory.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 3 Oct 2018 06:33:45 7,958 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Stop ruining my childhood!
  • GoatApocalypse 3 Oct 2018 07:19:41 4,485 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I won't keep silent on this any longer.

Fear Factory is a fucking scam.
  • DakeyrasUK 3 Oct 2018 08:19:57 1,998 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @FuzzyDucky We are coming from different experiences of machine head.

You mention two albums I don't know. Through the ashes of empires, particularly Imperium has great riffs. It was listening and loving that and then hearing Death somewhere else that made me find out more about Death....

I also never compared the best metallica/slayer to machine head. Just the sub genre of metal they belong to. Though Metallica have for large parts of my life been my second favourite band, in the last 16 years Machine head have been far more relevant for producing new music I listen to regularly. I rarely play metallica these days as I have heard their greats hundreds of times and it saddens me they have produced pap all the time I have been old enough to buy their new stuff. I can say almost the same for slayer, but I bought God Hates us all upon release and that kick the arse of all machine head.

As mentioned above they only had one or two "nu-metal" albums. If that is your experience of them then fair enough. But mine is way different.

Also to claim he is a crap vocalist makes me wonder again what you have been listening too...
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 3 Oct 2018 09:00:49 7,958 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Machine Head in the 90s were a definite contender as a potential spiritual heir to Metallica or Slayer. Or in the British metal press anyway.

Sepultura too in way.

Also Demanufacture ruled and doesn't sound like it belongs in 1994 at all. Now whose up for some Quake multiplayer on dad's work pc?
  • thelzdking 3 Oct 2018 10:09:53 8,553 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    Machine Head in the 90s were a definite contender as a potential spiritual heir to Metallica or Slayer. Or in the British metal press anyway.

Sepultura too in way.

Also Demanufacture ruled and doesn't sound like it belongs in 1994 at all. Now whose up for some Quake multiplayer on dad's work pc?
    Maybe Metallica, but Machine Head could never compare to Slayer. Still better than Pantera though.

Sepultura's first few records are amazing, then they started making tribal dreadlock metal.

Duke Nukem LAN is more my scene: "shake it baby".
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 3 Oct 2018 11:57:26 7,958 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Although sonically they're not alike it was Kerry King who was one of MH's first big champions talking them up in interviews, wearing their merch, taking them on tour so I've always associated them more there than in the Metallica camp.

While nostalgia may tint my view of them I'll persist in saying that Sepultura were genuinely great and have continued to be hugely underrated and appreciated since Derrick replaced Max.

Although I am willing to have a conversation about Max Cavalera trend chasing as much as Robb Flynn in his own manner.
  • DrStrangelove 3 Oct 2018 13:14:49 13,202 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    GoatApocalypse wrote:
    I won't keep silent on this any longer.

Fear Factory is a fucking scam.
    I think they have some merit for video game soundtracks, Carmageddon 1's FF soundtrack certainly works better than 2's Iron Maiden one. But that's how I perceive MH and FF, on first listen they make some interesting groovy sounds, but it gets old after 20 seconds or so. However, works as a soundtrack running in the background of chaotic action stuff.

Ironically, I don't really give a shit about Fear Factory but I love my Christian Olde Wolbers signature guitar which I'll never sell.
  • GoatApocalypse 3 Oct 2018 13:30:15 4,485 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    In the immortal words of my mate from Cruciamentum, anyone who disagrees with me is wrong. And definitely not metal.
  • DrStrangelove 3 Oct 2018 13:33:58 13,202 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Although sonically they're not alike it was Kerry King who was one of MH's first big champions talking them up in interviews, wearing their merch, taking them on tour so I've always associated them more there than in the Metallica camp.
    To be fair, whatever Kerry King likes/promotes at any given time is rarely representative of anything
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 3 Oct 2018 16:53:44 7,958 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    That Christian Olde Wolbers is in a band with Sen Dog and Billy from Biohazard who've done the theme song to WWE's NXT show is probably about right for that era of band today.

I discovered Fear Factory via the Mortal Kombat: The Movie OST.
  • BillMurray 3 Oct 2018 17:36:49 9,318 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
  • FuzzyDucky 3 Oct 2018 19:06:23 3,485 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @DakeyrasUK I have to ask - how can Machine Head be your favourite band, yet you don't know Burn My Eyes? Which is extra odd because that's my main experience of them and it's the one release of theirs that is as far away from nu-metal as I can imagine.

I've heard all their records and my experience is Flynn is a shite clean singer, but he lacks the aggression and conviction to be a growler. His vocal patterns are dull and his rhyming is toe-curling.

The only redeeming feature of their music is Kontos/McClain. Both excellent drummers.

It's amazing how different music leads us to different places... I can trace my love for all things dark, heavy and dissonant right back to err, Shing Happy People by REM.

Interesting you can hear Death in latter day MH. Death are my favourite band ever, Human is my cast-in-stone all time favourite record. Symbolic and TSoP are in my top ten and I listen to the other albums more than I've had hot dinners... I can't hear a note of Death in MH.
  • FuzzyDucky 3 Oct 2018 19:16:11 3,485 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago

Sepultura too in way.

Sepultura are pretty much contemporaries of Metallica/Slayer though. First album of theirs was 1986. Arise is as good as Reign In Blood/Master of Puppets and it straddles that fine line between death and thrash.

In what way were MH the spiritual heir? Regardless of liking them or not, both Slayer and Metallica in their heyday were groundbreaking and produced two cornerstones of the entire overarching genre. This was never Machine Head. The only thing Slayer hae in common with Machine Head is Paul Bostaph once played in Forbidden and so did Flynn.

I will go against Goaty and agree about Demanufacture... Although the best tune on it is the Head of David cover.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.