Following The Official Metal Appreciation ThreadŽ Page 400

• DakeyrasUK 3 Oct 2018 19:20:23 1,998 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @FuzzyDucky I never said machine head are my favourite band....

I said metallica were my second favourite for many years. Sorry for the confusion.

For note Iron Maiden are my favourite band! Been a maiden head for 27 or so years now since I was about 6/7 yes old.

Machine head might just make my top 10 but maybe not. As I say, the 3 studio albums I own are not nu metal and they are heavy imo. Not death or black metal heavy, but I have never been too keen on the vocals of such sub genres.

Nu metal I'm is a stupid sub genre, as in my mind it is bands like Linkin Park, papa roach, sum 41. But others would through in slipknot who I cannot put in the same bin as the other 3!
  • FuzzyDucky 3 Oct 2018 19:35:49 3,494 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @DakeyrasUK Ah, I misunderstood you, sorry! To be fair, if you love Machine Head you really do need to get Burn My Eyes, even as someone that (obviously!) doesn't like them it's streets ahead of their other records.

On Maiden we can agree at least... They were my first true love! And I last listened to them at the weekend (Somewhere in Time and Powerslave).

All those bands I'd throw under the nu-metal bus. MH's The Burning Red is defo nu-metal. Not to mention their haircuts!
  • DakeyrasUK 3 Oct 2018 19:46:03 1,998 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @FuzzyDucky maiden are my most seen band, prob at 12 or 13 gigs now.

I knew my wife was the girl for me when engaged I came home to hear my bedroom window open and maiden blaring out whilst she sat writing uni essays!
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 3 Oct 2018 19:46:09 7,959 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @FuzzyDucky Machine Head with Burn My Eyes were certainly sold as a band doing something hyper modern and if not groundbreaking definitely setting themselves at the forefront of metal coming back after grunge and hair metal.

Nothing is as heavy with such clarity in mainstreamish metal from 1994. Given grunge rules the rock airwaves at the time it was fresh as hell.

Sepultura might be a similar age as Metallica and Slayer but they're not peers at all. Or weren't until the mid-90s at least. Slayer and Metallica were both big international acts before Sepultura were anywhere. It's not til maybe Arise that they made much headway to a big audience.

They are brilliant though.
  • DakeyrasUK 3 Oct 2018 19:49:56 1,998 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Oh and no throwing slipknot under the bus. They are in my top 10 for sure! Not for albums 3 and 4, but the first 2 and 5th are superb fits for my tastes.

They also have consistently put on suberb live performances the 5 or so times I have seen them.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 3 Oct 2018 21:33:51 7,959 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I don't think anyone doubts Slipknot came out of the numetal era with far more credibility and a much more substantive backcatalogue than anyone would have predicted, arguably the strongest of any new big band from that time.

I'm not a huge fan but the third album and their live shows get my vote
  • Ddanno 3 Oct 2018 21:45:39 1,296 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ddanno wrote:
    https://m.imgur.com/a/TCGlDBu

:D
    Shameless plug - show is at the Scala in April 2019. There be a spare ticket. We can bicker about how I like Slipknots Vol 3, how I'm a dreadful shit for only coming to metal when I was 28, what an awful cunt I am for being indie in my teens and how I remain such for my post rock tastes now etc. I'll still buy you a pint

Edit: pint not oint. None of youse is getting a ruboff as a bonus

Edited by Ddanno at 21:46:58 03-10-2018
  • StixxUK 3 Oct 2018 21:59:58 8,009 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Davidian and Old are both masterpieces

From this Day is a terrible song but also one that caught my attention in my teens and is partly responsible for me getting into metal, so there is that.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 3 Oct 2018 22:35:01 7,959 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Say what you will about From This Day at least it's not a Drowning Pool b-side like Crashing Around You
  • FuzzyDucky 3 Oct 2018 23:34:32 3,494 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    StixxUK wrote:
    From this Day is a terrible song but also one that caught my attention in my teens and is partly responsible for me getting into metal, so there is that.
    Never understood this logic.

It's like saying "turns out she had a bigger cock than me and out my ass to sleep, but she was the first girl I slept with".
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 4 Oct 2018 00:24:56 7,959 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    You've got no affection or nostalgia for things you dug as a kid?!

You post on a video game forum!!!
  • DrStrangelove 4 Oct 2018 01:08:37 13,215 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dimmu Borgir once got me into black metal /shudder

And consoles once got me into gaming
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 6 Oct 2018 07:50:51 7,959 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    PIGS
    Pigs
    Pigs
    Pigs
    Pigs
    Pigs
    Pigs

https://pigspigspigspigspigspigspigs.bandcamp.com/album/king-of-cowards
  • FuzzyDucky 6 Oct 2018 09:56:49 3,494 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    You've got no affection or nostalgia for things you dug as a kid?!

You post on a video game forum!!!
    My first game was Super Mario Bros. on the NES. My first three metal albums were Master of Puppets, Seventh Son of a Seventh Son and Peace Sells... These still get revisited because they're good.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 6 Oct 2018 23:41:26 7,959 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I don't think it counts as a nostalgic reminiscence if you only acknowledge the critically acclaimed rather than embracing and celebrating the stuff you actually enjoyed at the time

Next stop on that road you'll be demanding "objective" reviews or something robotic like that
  • thelzdking 7 Oct 2018 00:10:27 8,560 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I heard that FuzzyDucky's first girlfriend was a supermodel.
  • StixxUK 7 Oct 2018 03:37:31 8,009 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Not everyone gets straight into the good stuff... At the time I liked it, I wouldn't listen to it now. Guess it just caught my attention.

It's more like if the first person you slept with was hot but a horrible person.

Machine Head though... Have a few great songs and a lot more average to shit ones.
  • GoatApocalypse 7 Oct 2018 07:00:30 4,485 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Not metal, but also metal as fvkk

https://youtu.be/-bukLGsawUs
  • GoatApocalypse 8 Oct 2018 09:05:52 4,485 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cultes des Ghoules back with another banger:

https://youtu.be/-6byFpjkxdM
  • BeheretiK 8 Oct 2018 12:07:28 910 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Stunning stuff, love Cultes des Ghoules. Thanks for the heads-up, this is going on repeat play today!
  • GoatApocalypse 8 Oct 2018 17:28:18 4,485 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The first track is a total waste but the remainder of the album is great.

Henbane is still their best, closely followed by Spectres Over Transylvania, but this bangs and bangs hard.
  • GoatApocalypse 10 Oct 2018 07:34:16 4,485 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Primordial - The Gathering Wilderness

Bathory-esque Irish folky black-ish metal. If you haven't done across them before, the first track on this album absolutely raises hell. Thunderous. The whole album gives me goosebumps and they're unquestionably the best live band I've ever seen.

https://youtu.be/OT8xJsd29aI
  • GoatApocalypse 11 Oct 2018 08:24:04 4,485 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So desperate am I for a Mgla fix that I've turned to Batushka.

It's... Ok. Gimmicky. Kinda like a more pompous Sargeist (and y'all know I love me some Sargeist). But somehow it doesn't seem as... liturgical, maybe, as I'd hoped.

https://youtu.be/xgfa5UlZAL8
  • BeheretiK 11 Oct 2018 09:39:40 910 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Speaking off Sargeist, new album out today:

https://wtcproductions.bandcamp.com/album/unbound
  • GoatApocalypse 11 Oct 2018 10:00:38 4,485 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Amazing catch, will spin
  • AddyJB 14 Oct 2018 21:02:47 131 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 weeks ago
    Been having a mix of old and new recently.

Metallica - Ride the Lightning
    Slayer - Reign in Blood
    Slipknot vol 3
    ACDC - Let there be Rock (Yes I know not metal, sue me)
    Metallica- Hardwired....to Self Destruct
    Deafheaven - Ordinary corrupt Human Love
    Vein - ErrorZone
    Ghost - Prequelle
    Visigoth - Conquerors oath

The last 4 all released this year I think. I've been out of the scene for quite some time now so will have to look back through this thread and add some more to My spotify playlists.
  • FuzzyDucky 14 Oct 2018 21:35:39 3,494 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    GoatApocalypse wrote:
    Primordial - The Gathering Wilderness

Bathory-esque Irish folky black-ish metal. If you haven't done across them before, the first track on this album absolutely raises hell. Thunderous. The whole album gives me goosebumps and they're unquestionably the best live band I've ever seen.

https://youtu.be/OT8xJsd29aI
    I tend not to care for Primordial too much (way too much widdly guitar noodling that goes nowhere), but "The Coffin Ships" (which is a reference to the Great Irish Famine) genuinely leaves a lump in the throat (me being a Paddy and having grown up looking at the docks of a small costal town where fucktonnes of people left for NA during the Famine years - there's a heartbreaking statue in the car park beside the quay there).
  • pk1980 14 Oct 2018 22:50:06 1,127 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Enjoying evil scarecrow recently.
  • StixxUK 15 Oct 2018 01:32:42 8,009 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Really want to see Primordial live, they seem not to play too often these days...?
  • GoatApocalypse 15 Oct 2018 06:46:11 4,485 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Think they're mainly on the festival circuit now.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.