Following The Official Metal Appreciation Threadģ Page 402

• wuntyphyve 11 Nov 2018 20:11:05 11,053 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Aye we are leaving at 1 to make sure we get there in plenty of time. What time did it finish at out of curiosity? Got work the next day 😞
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 11 Nov 2018 22:26:27 8,751 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    First band about 6:15 and finished about 11.

Very quick transitions between bands too
  • wuntyphyve 11 Nov 2018 23:02:52 11,053 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @simpleexplodingmaybe cool. Should be back just after 2. 5 hours sleep is plenty worth it for this. Thatís the trouble with being up here. You donít see anything decent unless you travel!!
  • wuntyphyve 13 Nov 2018 12:46:10 11,053 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Bloody hell, that was a bit good wasn't it.

Fuck me I'm tired.

I did however think Obituary were boring as hell and I can't honestly say I loved LoG (but I did enjoy their set) but Anthrax I thought were immense, as were Slayer.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 16 Nov 2018 12:52:09 8,751 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I don't think anyone had more fun than Joey Belladonna from Anthrax in Newcastle
  • Pipedream 16 Nov 2018 17:25:22 437 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Iíve been learning a lot of Lamb of God on guitar and wondered if there are any other similar bands out there?

Good riffage and all that fun.
  • Duffking 16 Nov 2018 17:35:52 15,946 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Chimaira?
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 16 Nov 2018 18:05:08 8,751 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    They were part of that whole God Forbid, Shadows Fall type bands weren't they?
  • StixxUK 16 Nov 2018 18:29:48 8,077 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    But shitter.

Actually I think Lamb of God are quite unique. Can't really think of anyone (good) that sounds like them.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 16 Nov 2018 23:08:13 8,751 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I know other bands were doing similar stuff but from bands emerging vaguely around that time who got lumped into NWOAHM by magazines I don't think any of them came close to the best of Killswitch Engage
  • Drakesmoke 17 Nov 2018 10:58:32 474 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ah, NWOAHM. I remember that.

Chimaira are a band that stands on their own, and at their best were slightly superior to LoG IMO. Get Resurrection first and The Infection second. The third album with Kevin Talley on drums is great too, a bit more DM influenced in parts.

From that 'scene' Shadows Fall were proficient but generic for me. Killswitch have some good albums but have become kitsch and predicatble. I call them 'memo' because of those emo choruses they use.

God Forbid had some good stuff but never really clicked and seemed somewhat contrived.

Really the bands from 'NWOAHM' that made lasting music for me are LoG and Chimaira, and weirdly Devildriver (despite being fronted by Mr Coalchamber, albums 2 through to the new line up are great).

It was never really a proper scene though, just something created by the music press. Shads and Killswitch alone I think were loosely in a scene geographically (Boston).
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 17 Nov 2018 11:02:45 8,751 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Chimaira with Hot Damn! era Every Time I Die supporting was a fun show from around that time.

I remember a four band package tour with God Forbid, Shadows Fall and two others I forget being a hot ticket among friends too
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 17 Nov 2018 11:03:57 8,751 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    You're right though, it was never a real scene or movement beyond what the press wrote. Nice breath of fresh air after numetal even if most of it never lasted and doesn't quite hold up now
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 17 Nov 2018 11:04:01 8,751 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    You're right though, it was never a real scene or movement beyond what the press wrote. Nice breath of fresh air after numetal even if most of it never lasted and doesn't quite hold up now
  • StixxUK 18 Nov 2018 20:04:04 8,077 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    So if this really is Slayer's last tour, who's going to replace them?

An extreme band that can play big shows... I can only think of Gojira, but they're a bit wholesome compared to Slayer.
  • GoatApocalypse 18 Nov 2018 20:06:42 5,131 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Do we need big shows? I much prefer smaller, more intimate gigs...
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 18 Nov 2018 20:27:25 8,751 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Ghost seem to be the newest metal band to break into arenas but they're not that extreme.

Mastodon have plateaued now but it should have been them.

I don't know who else though, there are some bafflingly big bands like Avenaged Sevenfold taking the festival/arena slots that I don't see the appeal of at all so I'm probably a terrible judge.
  • StixxUK 19 Nov 2018 07:03:55 8,077 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    To be honest until I saw Slayer on this tour i wasn't into the big arena shows much but now I'm quite up for the extra stage show you can get with more space and a bigger budget, not to mention having some other major bands on the lineup.

Problem with Mastodon is they've been a bit boring live since around Crack the Skye. Having said that I have for tickets to see them next year!
  • GoatApocalypse 19 Nov 2018 07:05:16 5,131 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I guess in my mind, those big shows are essentially festivals?
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 19 Nov 2018 07:14:53 8,751 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The Kids really seem to love Parkway Drive for some reason. Maybe they'll be one of the bands to step up to headlining Download in the future.

I don't see anyone obvious among the Proper Metal bands out there doing it.

I guess Behemoth could but it'd be more Bloodstock than Download and arenas
  • Duffking 19 Nov 2018 10:58:00 15,946 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm not too fussed on metal bands filling arenas to be honest. May the gigs be small and the tickets reasonably priced.
  • samharper 23 Nov 2018 13:53:31 1,053 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Bring Me The Horizon got absolutely massive out of nowhere, but to say the music they play (now) is even close to extreme... nah. There's a few 'emerging' metalcore acts like Architects or Parkway Drive (both are over 10 years old now) but whether they'll stand the test of 30 years, who knows.

Architects' new album is mega by the way.

Edited by samharper at 13:53:55 23-11-2018
  • OllyJ 29 Nov 2018 17:10:28 4,267 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I saw Conan last night.

FUCK
    ING
    HELL
  • StixxUK 29 Nov 2018 21:07:30 8,077 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    With Conjurer? I hear they're good.

This seems like a good time for a rant about Mastodon. They've been average since Crack the Skye. Today I listened to a load of different tracks on my drive to work and it just hit me. There are still flashes of brilliance, but in general even the better stuff off the last three albums is a bit dull.

There used to be this crazy jazzy madness combined with the heavy that was just the essence of Mastodon. Now they make silly, moderately heavy rock songs that try to be all catchy chorus but really they're just a bit boring. It should be all about guitars that crush you and drums that swirl all around and all over.

Still, looking forward to seeing them in Feb. The line-up is immense, with Scott Kelly (I'm assuming they'll play all of the tracks he's guested on, which are some of their best), plus Kvelertak (who are one of my favourite bands, and I'm yet to see with their new vocalist) and Mutoid Man.

Edited by StixxUK at 21:12:43 29-11-2018
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 29 Nov 2018 21:18:13 8,751 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I hope you mean "since" as in the albums after it rather than including it and beyond because I love Crack The Skye.

I've enjoyed the ones that came after but they're well out of my rotation by the time the next one arrives.
  • StixxUK 29 Nov 2018 21:58:54 8,077 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yeah I meant the albums after Crack the Skye.

I do think it was the start of their transition - the point where they really calmed down the drumming technique and moved to a more rock than metal/hardcore sound, getting the catchy choruses in there.

However it was epic, still had the weirdness and pulled it all together so well that I don't hold those points against it. The songs had the x factor and maintained interest.

With the likes of Steambreather, Precious Stones and especially Ancient City off the latest album, I just can't wait for them to finish.
  • OllyJ 30 Nov 2018 08:09:54 4,267 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @StixxUK Yeh, with Conjurer.

They are decent for sure, but I got Code Orange, trying very very hard to be very very angry vibes and it put me off a bit. Musically it's kinda sludgy/Gojira/Converge...
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 30 Nov 2018 08:14:56 8,751 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I think Steambreather was probably my favourite song off the last Mastodon album. The opening riff reminded me of the music a big fat monster wrestler might have for his entrance.

One of the songs at the start of the album had a chorus that was pure Alexisonfire. I dug it but it wasn't what I'd like them to be doing.
  • kingnothing12 30 Nov 2018 08:32:32 781 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    OllyJ wrote:
    @StixxUK Yeh, with Conjurer.

They are decent for sure, but I got Code Orange, trying very very hard to be very very angry vibes and it put me off a bit. Musically it's kinda sludgy/Gojira/Converge...
    You wouldn't happen to be from Coventry would you Olly? Guessing you seen that at the cambel(pheonix) I went there a couple months back to watch Elder.
  • OllyJ 30 Nov 2018 12:27:16 4,267 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @kingnothing12 I am from Cov yes, I saw them this week at The Arches, like I said, not bad musically, just live I couldn't get the vibe.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.