Following The Official Metal Appreciation ThreadŽ Page 403

• BigOrkWaaagh 13 Dec 2018 17:37:11 8,668 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I don't know what the fuck Pat O'Brien was on but...

Cannibal Corpse was just announced as support on Slayer's leg five of their final world tour. However, more bizarre news also arrived today regarding their guitarist Pat O'Brien, who has been in the band since 1997. According to reports, Pat O'Brien was arrested Monday after his Northdale, Florida home caught fire and ammunition exploded, according to multiple reports. O'Brien is currently being held without bail in Hillsborough County Jail, according to police records obtained by the Tampa Bay Times.

He reportedly forced himself into a home on Windflower Circle in the Northdale neighborhood at approximately 6:57 p.m. on Monday. There were two people in the house at the time. One of the victims told O'Brien to get out of the house immediately, at which point O'Brien pushed the other victim to the ground and ran into the backyard of the home. Deputies responded and O'Brien reportedly did not obey their commands and ran toward a deputy with a knife in his right hand. The deputy took O'Brien down by using an electronic control device on him and arrested him at the scene.

O'Brien was arrested and charged with aggravated assault on a law enforcement officer with a deadly weapon and burglary of an occupied dwelling with assault or battery.

Just as O'Brien was arrested, a massive fire broke out at his home in the 16000 block of Norwood Drive with exploding ammunition inside. Witnesses said there was a fight, some kind of domestic dispute, at the home before the fire broke out. Hillsborough County firefighters were able to get the fire under control after about an hour but struggled due to the ammunition inside exploding due to the flames. Crews remained at the scene throughout the night and kept the road blocked long off after the fire was put out.

It was not immediately clear if the fire is connected to O'Brien's arrest.

Officials say two military-style flamethrowers inside the home, making the fire much harder to battle for firefighters. The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) is investigating the house fire.
    Edited by BigOrkWaaagh at 17:37:37 13-12-2018
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 13 Dec 2018 18:38:27 10,242 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    That's fucked up.

I also can't help but think that he's a lot more alive than if he'd been a black guy doing the exact same thing
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 14 Dec 2018 12:32:51 10,242 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    There's a crowdfunding thing up for Pat O'Brien now

https://www.theprp.com/2018/12/13/news/crowdfunding-campaign-launched-for-cannibal-corpses-pat-obrien-following-house-fire-bizarre-arrest/

I'm not sure how I'd feel donating to someone whose arms dump blew up their house until the details were all out and super verified
  • thelzdking 14 Dec 2018 20:07:18 9,355 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Plus Cannibal Corpse have always been a second-rate band at best.
  • StixxUK 18 Dec 2018 19:39:44 8,145 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Went to see Revocation on Sunday, supported by Rivers of Nihil, Soreption and Archspire.

Not a single dud band on that bill, fucking brilliant. I suspect Rivers of Nihil are going to be big (by Death Metal standards, at least).

Fucking brilliant gig, not every day you see a venue packed out for the opening band of 4, and with the most enthusiastic pit of the night.
  • FanBoysSuck 21 Dec 2018 13:00:46 1,649 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm not sure how many of you guys are into your Japanese metal, but there's a mini-festival happening in October. Acts announced so far cover power metal, progressive metal and er....anime metal. Seven more bands to be announced.

https://www.facebook.com/MetalMatsuriUK/
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 4 Jan 2019 10:33:43 10,242 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    So I take it we all agree that Pissgrave have won the 2019 award for edgelordiest try-hards already then?

Whats even the point of producing such a gross NSFW cover beyond appealing to people who still wish rotten dot com was king of the internet?

EDIT - I know when people talk about this sort of thing the natural reaction is to go and look but just so you know it is a very graphic photo of a gunshot to the head. Think that Mayhem record but much much more so in every respect.

Edited by simpleexplodingmaybe at 10:39:14 04-01-2019
  • Beetroot_Bertie 7 Jan 2019 18:50:39 449 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Faves of last year anyone?

I think I only got Ghost's and Priest's but enjoy them both still. Priest's was a big surprise for the better with some tight, focused song writing and some of the best sounding vocals from them in a long time - fantastic album that really sounds like one they enjoyed making.
  • RichDC 7 Jan 2019 19:30:19 8,302 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Are we allowed live albums? Ayreon - Universe was amazing and the only album from last year that i can actually think of!
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 7 Jan 2019 19:49:52 10,242 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    For metal Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs, Bong and Sleep.

And The Men That Will Not Be Blamed For Nothing too are culturally metal adjacent if not aurally.
  • pk1980 7 Jan 2019 19:53:17 1,192 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @RichDC if we are Overkills live album for me smashed it.

Will have to look through see what I got that was released last year I can't remember.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 7 Jan 2019 20:00:45 10,242 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    What big or interesting things are we anticipating for this year?
  • StixxUK 7 Jan 2019 20:20:58 8,145 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Just checked my most played list on Spotify for inspiration and everything on there was generally old. This was the year of Gojira and Sepultura for me.

Isolation by Khemmis was the only 2018 track near the top.

My overall album of the year was Pusha T. Sorry!
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 7 Jan 2019 20:33:03 10,242 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    All Sepultura is welcome in my book
  • drhickman1983 7 Jan 2019 20:40:49 5,906 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Urfaust, Bloodbark,Fukpig are all good from last year.

Its not really metal, maybe, but Andrew WKs album was my favourite album from last year.
  • OllyJ 9 Jan 2019 12:17:14 4,486 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Symphony X are playing down the road from me in Coventry this year, it's been nothing but doom and stoner for years....so this is great.
  • samharper 9 Jan 2019 15:30:45 1,118 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hopefully that new Sylosis album actually comes out this year.

Last year I thought Architect's Holy Hell (going to see them next week) was astounding but I really enjoyed Rolo Tomassi's Time Will Die and Love Will Bury It and Bleed From Within's (saw them last this year!) Era as well. Great year for UK metal/hardcore. Spotify tells me I'm listening to Enter Shikari (seeing week after next), In Flames (1993-2000, seeing in March) and Northlane a lot as well.
  • Duffking 9 Jan 2019 17:39:39 16,158 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If you're itching for Sylosis give Lucis Absentia a try.

For full Sylosis effect, the album is even about 20 minutes longer than it needs to be ;)
  • thelzdking 9 Jan 2019 18:57:55 9,355 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Off to see Slayer in March - yay!
  • StixxUK 9 Jan 2019 19:16:28 8,145 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @thelzdking where's Slayer playing in March?

Thinking about it my favourite metal album of 2018 was probably Revocation - The Outer Ones. Didn't actually think that much of it at first, but it really grew on me.

Also saw them live recently (with Rivers of Nihil, Soreption and Archspire) and it was epic.
  • thelzdking 9 Jan 2019 19:18:57 9,355 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    StixxUK wrote:
    @thelzdking where's Slayer playing in March?
    NZ. Sadly we don't get Obituary as the support here, we get Anthrax, who I don't like nearly as much. Still though, Slayer!
  • StixxUK 9 Jan 2019 19:23:06 8,145 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    We had both! Anthrax, Obituary and Lamb of God.

Much as I want to see Slayer again on tgis tour, NZ is a bit far to go :p
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 9 Jan 2019 20:01:49 10,242 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Anthrax absolutely ripped in Newcastle
  • samharper 10 Jan 2019 15:01:18 1,118 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Duffking wrote:
    If you're itching for Sylosis give Lucis Absentia a try.

For full Sylosis effect, the album is even about 20 minutes longer than it needs to be ;)
    Amazing, thank you!
  • themanfromdelmonte 10 Jan 2019 15:33:49 726 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @simpleexplodingmaybe

They were great, but Joey talking over Frank's bass solo in Got The Time boiled my piss lol
  • GoatApocalypse 14 Jan 2019 08:28:04 5,650 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Type O Negative - Life is Killing Me
  • StixxUK 17 Jan 2019 12:09:03 8,145 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Mastodon's setlist for the current tour looks absolutely epic. Can't wait to see them at Brixton in a few days!

Setlist
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 17 Jan 2019 12:16:10 10,242 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Looks like they're finally playing to their potential live again right when I can't go and see them

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.