Following The Official Metal Appreciation Threadģ Page 405

• Beetroot_Bertie 13 Feb 2019 18:11:44 456 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    For some reason I always thought Soilwork were a nu-metal band. Dunno why. I think the name for some reason gives off that vibe. Or maybe I'm just a dunce.
  • Drakesmoke 13 Feb 2019 18:30:44 572 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    You're confusing them with Soil. They only flirted with that sort of Buttrock on one album really (Figure Number 5) which really was as much a production sound issue as musical choices.
  • Chug666 13 Feb 2019 20:06:49 599 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    My Amorphis odyssey started today, tried Skyforger and Eclipse as recommended, after a single listen through both I think I narrowly preferred Eclipse but both did good rock. Neither were as heavy as Iíd assumed (not meant as a criticism) and definitely worth a few more spins. Think Iíll also try something earlier for comparison (Iím hoping rougher and heavier!).

Cheers chaps!
  • richardiox 13 Feb 2019 20:18:05 7,752 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Went down a late 90s metalcore rabbit hole last night and ended up caning the fantastic "Deathrow Earth" album by the Belgium "H8000" scene gods, Liar.

https://youtu.be/H8sRSHVld6g

Anyone else dig it?
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 19 Feb 2019 09:07:26 10,925 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Listening to Mutoid Man a lot recently.

Got me think that Stephen Brodsky's output is a weird one for me. I enjoy it all and recognise how good it all is but I only ever fall in love with it for phases. Cave In can be my absolute favourite band for weeks or months then I'll have no compulsion to listen to them again for year(s).

Anyone got similar artists for yourselves?
  • Beetroot_Bertie 19 Feb 2019 09:44:28 456 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @simpleexplodingmaybe Not metal, but I think Radiohead and Bjork fall clearly in that area for me. Modern Opeth too.
  • Chug666 21 Feb 2019 14:36:04 599 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @simpleexplodingmaybe Roddy Woomble for me- I was a massive Idlewild fan back in the late 90's, followed their music from the start and have enjoyed all his folk offshoots, but usually in quick binges. My Idlewild gig t-shirt is still in use as my gardening t-shirt (writing that makes me feel sad).

New album to look forward to in April and if they tour I'll be there, even if their gigs since 2002-ish have been beard-strokey affairs rather than sweaty moshpits...

I'd never heard of Mutoid Man until I saw them touring with Mastodon, but I'm now a fan. Is there anything linked to them you'd recommend?
  • drhickman1983 24 Feb 2019 11:11:29 6,043 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I get the impression she's been divisive amongst some purists, but I'm rather enjoying Myrkur's Mareridt album. Bit late coming to it as it's a year or two old now.

Not sure how it compares to her earlier stuff but it's like a more BM, more pagan version of Chelsea Wolfe (who makes a guest appearance).

Might have to give her earlier stuff a listen.
  • GoatApocalypse 27 Feb 2019 10:06:34 5,851 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Great album.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 27 Feb 2019 10:34:10 10,925 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Chug666

You've got members other bands like Cave In, Converge, Old Man Gloom, All Pigs Must Die. And then you can jump off to associated acts like the bands on Hydra Head or SUMAC and Botch if you're going backaways and I guess bands like Baroness are their current contemporaries.

Plus they're the house and on obnoxious/hilarious YouTube metal comedy chat show Two Minutes To Late Night. They do covers every episode, their version of Purple Rain is particularly epic.

Full playlist of covers here:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPWlN3tCy7DPJEkxM_uHu8KXS0OPuQHs7
  • thelzdking 16 Mar 2019 04:58:45 9,524 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So, Slayer cancelled. Completely understandable given the circumstances, but still disappointed as I'll never get another chance to see them.
  • StixxUK 16 Mar 2019 07:46:23 8,201 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @thelzdking ah man, that sucks but agree it's definitely the right thing for them to do.

New Baroness song

Not feeling it much at the start, seems like their a re-hash of their previous stuff with some more disjointed guitar noodlings (which don't sound like they fit at all to me). Picks up a lot in the latter half of the song though, so will be interested to see what they do with the rest of the album. Their Blue album is such a classic though.
  • Drakesmoke 17 Mar 2019 22:14:32 572 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @StixxUK

Fucking hell I liked that a lot. See they are still pushing their production into clipping hell though so assume it's an artistic choice by now. Didn't seem as punishing as Purple though. 'Shock Me' is one of the more beautiful songs you can find in this genre IMO but god damn it kills your ears with the compression.

Guitar work is fantastic, first I've heard of the new member I think so she seems a good fit. Cheers for the heads up!
  • Drakesmoke 25 Mar 2019 18:27:06 572 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Mader and Kontos have rejoined Machine Head, although from the scraps I'm reading, they are there to play a Burn My Eyes anniversary set and then whichever new members join what is by now Flynn's solo project will come on for the second half.

I do hope they can get something back of what they lost, it's been the biggest fall from grace I think I've seen in metal.

In other happy news, Devin Townsend's 'Empath' finally releases this Friday.
  • samharper 27 Mar 2019 14:45:24 1,119 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Machine Head was a rise > fall > bigger rise > bigger fall. Replacing McClain is a big ask, he was a great drummer.
  • Duffking 27 Mar 2019 15:57:25 16,313 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Locust is a good album. Blackening has too much excessive directionless wanking and whatever album followed Locust was boring as shit but Locust was fine. Better than Burn My Eyes, which is also boring, bar the intro to Davidian :p
  • Drakesmoke 27 Mar 2019 16:57:27 572 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The one after Locust is good, save a handful of songs.

Personally I think they should stick with the BME line up for a bit and maybe get back some of that more 90s sound, the constant Maidenisms and guitar solos were beginning to get old.

BME also has Old remember, which is a fantastic slice of 'groove metal' (hate that term).

Devy's Empath is spectacular if you like what he does, it leaked a couple of nights back.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 27 Mar 2019 19:54:05 10,925 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm surprised they've got this together after sacking Kronos for his look and Mader because he seemed to fall out with everyone in the 90s

Ashes was the last album I was really into of theirs. Blackening was good I know it I just didn't feel it's vibe at the time.

It's depressing seeing all the right wing meatheads constantly shitting on Robb for being a crybaby SJW libtard just because he happens to disagree with racism and sexism and murder
  • Drakesmoke 27 Mar 2019 22:35:01 572 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @simpleexplodingmaybe

Agree with all of the above but he did go a bit silly with the slam poetry bit and stuff like that. 'Bastards' itself was incredibly, awkwardly, overly earnest musically and Flynn seemed a bit full of self importance when discussing it. Saying stuff like 'people have told me they had tears streaming down their faces' and stuff.

I admired the hell out of him for the stance and bravery when many artists were subscribing to 'get woke go broke', but the delivery was piss poor. And I think he just lost himself a bit. If Demmel is to be believed he was banning other members from being interviewed, telling them off for stage moves (mouthing lyrics apparently in Demmel's case). I think he genuinely regrets it, and I think it's been a catalyst for mending broken bridges with these two, combined with the need to get back a bit of cache and probably cash on an 'event' tour obviously.

However yeah, none of the rednecks that came out against him were up in arms over something like Death Church or A Farewell to Arms. Lyrically they have always supported just causes. Sadly I think the current climate has not only legitimised hateful views though but actually created them. If I never hear the word 'snowflake' again, it'll be too soon.

I still think Catharsis has it's moments actually, despite having some of the worst material since Supercharger.

Agree Ashes is better than The Blackening BTW.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 27 Mar 2019 23:20:44 10,925 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Drakesmoke I think the strength Ashes has is that it's a band rediscovering what made them great to begin with and just fucking going for it. Blackening felt a bit more considered, a bit more deliberate if that makes sense.
  • GoatApocalypse 29 Mar 2019 07:15:42 5,851 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Saw Perturbator at the Islington Academy last night.

Incredible show.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/r3HgUnrh8tjBaawL6

Edited by GoatApocalypse at 07:55:08 29-03-2019
  • TechnoHippy 29 Mar 2019 12:31:03 15,387 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I'm liking the new Rammstein song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeQM1c-XCDc&fbclid=IwAR02dn0qK2IZp9lr5LXHRJ4Pw41owujL0k6u7uOy4jrJOOhopUte4nqF-GY
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 29 Mar 2019 14:03:14 10,925 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I am, quite predictably, digging the new Earth

Edited by simpleexplodingmaybe at 14:03:27 29-03-2019
  • drhickman1983 31 Mar 2019 20:21:11 6,043 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Seeing anaal nathrakh and ackerkoke tonight. First gig in a while. Might go deaf.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 31 Mar 2019 20:36:48 10,925 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    How is everybody feeling about the Lords of Chaos movie?

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.