Following The Official Metal Appreciation Threadģ Page 408

• BTBAM 8 Jun 2019 18:57:37 1,981 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    https://youtu.be/og8xM5eHQKY

For those who like their metal heavy, technical and proggy, great french band.
  • BTBAM 8 Jun 2019 18:58:45 1,981 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Any love for these guys here?

https://youtu.be/SQNtGoM3FVU
  • BTBAM 8 Jun 2019 18:59:54 1,981 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Car bomb on tour with animals as leaders are a great racket too...

https://youtu.be/EA5eIAfutYU
  • JonFE 9 Jun 2019 06:48:13 2,024 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Andre Matos (ex Viper, ex Angra) passed away yesterday. 47 ain't no age. ;-(
  • Bichii 13 Jun 2019 15:27:57 3,457 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Oh today turned out to be a good day when I was sad..I was reading something about Metallica and it mentioned the greatest metal album ever is by slayer - reign in blood. Never heard of it so I went to Spotify. 30 minutes later and I love it!!! What a beast of an LP.
  • StixxUK 13 Jun 2019 19:43:31 8,367 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    New Baroness album is out tomorrow, and already streaming in full here

https://www.npr.org/2019/06/10/729219388/first-listen-baroness-gold-grey?t=1560451122555
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 13 Jun 2019 20:21:24 14,579 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    No idea if the download version will ever be made available to people other than the kickstarters (he'd be mad not to) but Andrew O'Neill's History of Heavy Metal DVD is finally available

https://andrewoneillcomedy.bandcamp.com/merch/history-of-heavy-metal-dvd

It's very funny and his backing band are very good at playing all the songs
  • samharper 14 Jun 2019 08:41:19 1,121 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The clipping on that new Baroness album is absolutely crazy, I think it sounds terrible :cry:
  • richardiox 14 Jun 2019 08:42:55 8,888 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Bichii wrote:
    Oh today turned out to be a good day when I was sad..I was reading something about Metallica and it mentioned the greatest metal album ever is by slayer - reign in blood. Never heard of it so I went to Spotify. 30 minutes later and I love it!!! What a beast of an LP.
    Never heard Reign?!!! You hadn't lived. The quintessential thrash album and the standard by which all others are judged.
  • elstoof 14 Jun 2019 08:44:56 25,980 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Lombardo is one of the greatest drummers of all time, love his work with Fantomas
  • monkehhh 14 Jun 2019 08:55:23 5,229 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    samharper wrote:
    The clipping on that new Baroness album is absolutely crazy, I think it sounds terrible :cry:
    Somebody definitely made some choices about the mix and levels - I think it sounds like shit.
  • Bichii 14 Jun 2019 09:53:11 3,457 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @richardiox yeah I love it. Must have listen to it at least ten times in a day. :)

My only initial complaint is it doesn't have much variety so to speak. Peace sells for example feels much more varied in sound. For this reason at the moment "postmortem" is my favourite song on the album.

Edited by Bichii at 09:55:54 14-06-2019
  • wuntyate 14 Jun 2019 10:03:22 15,270 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I really don't get Slayer. Seen them 3 or 4 times live and listened to loads of their stuff over the years and it never really floats my boat. I wish I could like them more, as I feel I should as a self respecting metal fan but... Don't feel it. Live they are a bit one note as well. Their final tour for example, I rated Anthrax far higher, which surprised me, as I didn't like them much before that, but they put on quite a show.
  • wuntyate 14 Jun 2019 10:05:48 15,270 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Anyway, I'm still just listening to that Aephanemer album. Fuck me it's one of the best I've heard in years. That and Heaven That Dwells Within by Wormwitch. Well decent.
  • Duffking 14 Jun 2019 10:14:22 16,630 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    samharper wrote:
    Yeah it's fucking awful. It's basically unlistenable to me, just like their last one. They need to fire whoever is responsible for these mixes.
  • StixxUK 14 Jun 2019 14:09:52 8,367 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Yep agreed the baroness production is shocking.

Still really liking it, the songs are great. Maybe a few too many interludes though.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 14 Jun 2019 14:43:10 14,579 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    wuntyphyve wrote:
    I rated Anthrax far higher, which surprised me, as I didn't like them much before that, but they put on quite a show.
    I get the feeling that Anthrax have never been a band with complacency on their side. Every show is either then justifying their existence or proving a point or just having a great time.

Sepultura are in a similar position. Every tour is like "where's max" and it's been over twenty years now and they have to be 11/10 every night just to get acknowledged.
  • Bichii 14 Jun 2019 23:10:27 3,457 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I've listened to so much metal for about the last month. For me Rust in peace still stands head and shoulders above the rest and can be put in best album ever discussions across any genre.
  • wuntyate 14 Jun 2019 23:24:44 15,270 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @simpleexplodingmaybe yeah man. Joey Belladonna was brilliant and Scott Ian just looked as though he was having a great time. Slayer were dull as fuck, if Iím being honest. But then Iím not a massive thrash fan anyway so maybe Iím more fussy.
  • Bichii 14 Jun 2019 23:31:24 3,457 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I want to add kill em all is actually a pretty close second then every other album is far behind.
  • wuntyate 14 Jun 2019 23:34:25 15,270 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Meh. Metallica are another lot that are sleep inducing for me. Just donít get them either. Iíve tried to get on board but thereís something about them I cant take to at all.
  • Bichii 14 Jun 2019 23:37:34 3,457 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Surely kill em all, ride the lightening and master of puppets though? All three are incredible! Everything else is meh.

I've no idea how anyone into metal could not love kill em all.

Edited by Bichii at 23:38:14 14-06-2019
  • wuntyate 14 Jun 2019 23:55:19 15,270 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah. Iím very much into metal and I donít like it. But like I say I think itís a thrash thing!! Ha ha. Iím more black / death.
  • TechnoHippy 17 Jun 2019 08:49:39 17,712 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Not exactly new, but my AMazon recommended list popped up Reverence by Parkway Drive who I'd not really listened to before. A little gentler than what I usually listen to, but I'm quite enjoying it.
  • Chug666 17 Jun 2019 09:55:16 718 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Anyone here going to see Metallica at Twickenham on Thursday? Meh or not they put on a good show and I'm really looking forward to it!
  • Deleted user 17 June 2019 10:05:27
    @wuntyphyve

I've never enjoyed more than the odd song by Slayer, Megadeth, 'tallica or any of the big revered thrash outfits.
  • Tuffty 18 Jun 2019 09:06:14 4,621 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Unbelievably saddened to hear that the frontman for Vektor is a wife abusing piece of shit (by her account and with video evidence). One of my favourite bands, but I cant support him or the Vektor name going forward in good conscious knowing this. Always was a bit weird the 3 other members left at the same time with little explanation. Guess we know why now.

Anyone have any recommendations on similar bands like Vektor? Either that style of music or one that deals with sci fi concepts?
  • samharper 18 Jun 2019 09:22:24 1,121 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    Not exactly new, but my AMazon recommended list popped up Reverence by Parkway Drive who I'd not really listened to before. A little gentler than what I usually listen to, but I'm quite enjoying it.
    Reverence is pretty good although it's basically their "Black Album". Chronos and In Blood are great though. Killing With A Smile and Horizons are probably their best. One of those clearly inspired by In Flames metalcore bands in the vein of Killswitch Engage.
  • RichDC 18 Jun 2019 09:25:44 8,905 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Well that sucks but does explain the sudden split. The Faceless and Obscura are similar (if a bit more death than thrash) and both excellent.

Edited by RichDC at 09:26:22 18-06-2019
  • DrStrangelove 18 Jun 2019 13:11:43 15,238 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So I was never much into death metal but I always loved that delicious juicy sound of early Swedish DM (Entombed, Dismember). Recently I found out that the secret behind it is just one specific guitar pedal, the Boss HM-2. That was discontinued in 1990 or so because people thought it was vile--which is bemusing, I'm sure anyone will agree it's angelic--and it's hundreds of euros on eBay. Then I found out there are pretty accurate clones for as little as Ä21 (Behringer HM300), so it was a no brainer to order one.

So while I'm waiting for the delivery I decided to educate myself and go through the discographies of the big 4 and give a few others a try. I think my favourites are Entombed's Clandestine and Dismember's Like an Everflowing Stream. Again, I'm no DM fan but they're lovely.

However, both bands seem to lose it starting with their respective third albums. Specifically I don't like that style change in the direction of groove metal at all.

In the case of Dismember, I guess Massive Killing Capacity was simply the one weak album in their career--I think it's just lame--but they've become better afterwards again even if I disapprove of the melodic death metal parts. I loathe melodic death metal with its harmonies and melodies and all that childish nonsense.

In the case of Entombed, I guess Wolverine Blues is good at what it does, but I just prefer the previous more thrashy in-yer-face style. Sinners Bleed probably is the best example of how I like it. However unlike Dismember who returned to form in their own way on their 4th album, for Entombed it just went downhill from there culminating in whatever the fuck Same Difference was. They improved again later but still they clung to that groove metal shit, I find it really tragic after the masterpieces that their first two albums were.

I'm not ranting against change in general here, I mean I can see that they maybe felt they were approaching a creative dead end with that style. Grave is probably a good example of this, I mean their albums are (almost) all fine, I still like their latest stuff, but then again they're really just releasing the same album again and again. They're fun and listenable but it gets a little pointless after a while. What I'm trying to say is I approve of stylistic change, I just think Dismember and Entombed went in the wrong direction. Which is why of the newer stuff of all these bands I clearly prefer Grave.

Unleashed, well it's ok but not really my cup of tea. Most importantly, it lacks that distinct sound that made me listen to those bands in the first place.

So to sum it up, my top three picks in this genre are Entombed: Clandestine, Dismember: Like an Everflowing Stream, and Sorcery: Arrival at Six.

Now I hope my package arrives soon.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.