Following The Official Metal Appreciation Thread® Page 409

• Bichii 18 Jun 2019 14:04:55 1,859 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Sad that mustaine has throat cancer. :(
  • StixxUK 18 Jun 2019 14:18:55 8,181 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Faceless are similar in that the band leader has some problems.

Obscura are awesome

Also sci fi and also more death than thrash are Artificial Brain
    Vhol are different but interesting
    Assume you've heard Voivod?

Noone is really like Vektor though! They were excellent and unique.
  • Beetroot_Bertie 18 Jun 2019 14:26:11 452 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Are Nocturnus still about?

"The Key" was sci-fi concept album if I remember correctly. It has techno bleeps and noises in it and everything. I still have the cassette if you want it taping.
  • Duffking 18 Jun 2019 16:28:20 16,262 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @DrStrangelove ah the HM-2 legit to quit sound

There's some good modern bands doing that sound atm, Ripped to Shreds, Lik, Gods Forsaken, Feral, Heads for the Dead and Sentient Horror are solid. Especially Ripped to Shreds and Heads for the Dead.
  • Vortex808 18 Jun 2019 16:29:38 13,275 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Beetroot_Bertie wrote:
    I still have the cassette if you want it taping.
    Home taping is killing music!

:-)
  • Beetroot_Bertie 18 Jun 2019 18:17:47 452 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    But it introduced my teenage mind to so much more stuff. TDK must have sold truck loads of blank tapes.

They're not particularly aggressive sounding but Coheed & Cambria might appeal to the sci-fi concept angle. I can't say I've ever paid that much attention to the story line but their albums span a bigger story and the singer/guitarist has worked on a bunch of accompanying graphic novels for the albums.

The cover art for Nocturnus' 2nd LP 'thresholds' seems like an influence on the Vektor album art to me.

Edited by Beetroot_Bertie at 18:19:57 18-06-2019
  • StixxUK 18 Jun 2019 19:17:35 8,181 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Coheed and Cambria are playing at Arctangent festival this year, so I'll be seeing them. Really not a big fan though. I've tried, I just think they're dull as fuck.
  • DrStrangelove 18 Jun 2019 19:40:40 14,373 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Duffking

Thanks, will take a look.
  • Tuffty 18 Jun 2019 20:11:39 4,357 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Obscura sounds right up my alley, cheers for the recommendations. Listening to some of the other recommendations I can see the skill but I havent immediately taken to them. I guess I lean more heavily towards the thrash side of things than death metal, something which Revocation, Vektor and now Obscura strike on the right line of both for me personally.
  • StixxUK 18 Jun 2019 20:30:29 8,181 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Tuffty maybe try Horrendous as well...

and Psycroptic
    and Gorod

Edited by StixxUK at 20:43:23 18-06-2019
  • DrStrangelove 18 Jun 2019 22:18:04 14,373 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Post deleted
  • richardiox 18 Jun 2019 22:20:07 7,744 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Fix
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 19 Jun 2019 07:26:28 10,808 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    StixxUK wrote:
    Coheed and Cambria are playing at Arctangent festival this year, so I'll be seeing them. Really not a big fan though. I've tried, I just think they're dull as fuck.
    Conceptually I feel like I should be on board but musically they're mostly a MySpace era poppunk/emo band. Which is fine I guess.
  • GoatApocalypse 19 Jun 2019 07:44:20 5,776 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @DrStrangelove

You might dig Necrovation's self-titled album. It's a fucking masterpiece.
  • TechnoHippy 19 Jun 2019 08:53:09 15,302 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Progenitor by Mechina is some excellent sci-fi themed metal.

Or if you prefer some 40k style dark future then Realm of Chaos by Bolt Thrower :-)
  • Drakesmoke 19 Jun 2019 08:55:43 570 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Anyone who saw or is seeing Metallica on this European tour, you can get the sound desk recording free if you've kept your ticket at livemetallica.com, you just need to scan the QR code when the show releases.

They were great in Manchester last night.
  • TechnoHippy 19 Jun 2019 10:10:57 15,302 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I've only seen them live once, and that was on the And Justice tour (back in 1989 I believe) - they were great.
  • Bichii 19 Jun 2019 10:49:17 1,859 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Drakesmoke good set list? I'm taking my 7 year old son tomorrow lol.
  • Drakesmoke 19 Jun 2019 11:36:14 570 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Bichii a similar age lad was rocking out yesterday in front of me, air guitar and everything!

Assuming you don't mind spoilers, it was a good set. The only missteps for me were Lords of Summer (wish I'd waited for that for the toilet instead of Creeping Death) and they played St Anger. Now I actually don't mind that song, but it was just pure mud sonically with all the downtuning.

We did get Disposable Heroes which was awesome, and God That Failed which was good because you don't see them play that. That aside, not loads of surprises.

I do hope you like Hardwired I would say, they played quite a bit.

EDIT - third time for me, and I would say objectively the best playing from them I've seen, although I enjoyed the Magnetic tour more for atmosphere

Edited by Drakesmoke at 11:38:04 19-06-2019
  • Bichii 19 Jun 2019 12:23:20 1,859 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Oh no you missed creeping death.. personally all my favourites are off the first three albums. So creeping death,ride the lightening, Seek and destroy, master of puppets etc.

When did they roughly come on?
  • DrStrangelove 19 Jun 2019 14:45:31 14,373 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    GoatApocalypse wrote:
    @DrStrangelove

You might dig Necrovation's self-titled album. It's a fucking masterpiece.
    Thanks for the tip but I think it's just not for me. I don't know if it's blackened death metal or whatever you call it, but still the only death metal I seem to like is that early Entombed/Dismember stuff. I liked some of Duffking's suggestions, I think I liked Feral most, but still I guess I'm just not a death metal guy. Maybe I also listened to that stuff too much lately, I mean I went through the entire Swedish big 4 library in less than a week, so I may be a little fatigued.

Fired up Bathory's Black Mark for a change and it seems in the end that resonates much better with me.

Aaaquimanthoooorn
    Aaaquimanthoooorn
    Aaaquimanthoooorn
    Aaaquimanthoooorn

Update on the Behringer HM300 pedal:

It arrived yesterday, and it doesn't disappoint. Sadly I can't fully enjoy it, I'd need to hook it up to one of my valve amps but sadly that's a no-go. Even my 1W Blackstar is so loud on the quietest setting it's such a noise disturbance that half the house would be in front of my flat spamming the doorbell. Better forget about the 50W Marshall which will damage the building structure on 10% volume. The best I could achieve was the emulated speaker headphone output of the Blackstar which shows what this little stompbox is capable of but of course it's not the same.

I did notice however that it's very limiting, it's a one-trick pony really. With the correct setting (everything on max) it does that sound, but using anything but the lowest 2 strings becomes a no-go as far as I'm concerned. Dial anything back and it becomes just rubbish, which is probably why the HM-2 was largely reviled and discontinued.

What's also interesting is that I just kept lowering the guitar's tune to make it sound better. I've gone to drop-C and still I wanted to go lower but with that tuning the strings were sloppy as fuck already. This is in great contrast to the Blackstar's or Marshall's overdrive, I've experimented with different tunings there but actually I just settled for standard E tuning because that's perfectly fine with those for nasty metal sound. With the pedal, I wish I had a baritone or maybe a 7-string and tune it down to A or whatever. It needs to be really low.

Going back to the (relative) "creative dead end" I mentioned before, I think I can see what's going on. I don't think this pedal leaves much room for different styles.

But again, even over headphones it's clear this pedal does deliver the nastiness you expect. For a ridiculous €21, I recommend everyone who's looking for that sound to try it.

edit: sound comparison HM-2/HM300:

https://youtu.be/a7ynGOQKOvM?t=348

Edited by DrStrangelove at 15:06:19 19-06-2019
  • Drakesmoke 19 Jun 2019 17:05:56 570 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Bichii about 7.50 ish Ecstasy of Gold came on.

We missed all the support acts as we were all at work prior, but Ghost have had very good feedback from people.

They played all of your list except Ride. They actually knackered up the intro to Creeping Death. One of the few howlers they did.
  • GoatApocalypse 19 Jun 2019 17:29:40 5,776 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @DrStrangelove

Necrovation are one of those bands that have taken the classic HM-2 sound and reinvented it to make it proggier. It's good stuff!
  • Bichii 20 Jun 2019 08:10:32 1,859 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Drakesmoke oh what. I just checked the Manchester set list and also checked the set list from the couple of Europe gigs before...the Manchester one is way worse. Way too much black album!! Like half the bloody lp. You said lords of summer, well that replaced spit out the bone, wtf. And ride the lightening has been swapped out with a slow track of black..not cool. Obviously I'll still love it but except for lords literally all the best tracks are end loaded. It's like puppets, bell tolls, creeping death, seek and destroy all in a row.
  • Drakesmoke 20 Jun 2019 20:18:02 570 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Bichii I would have liked Bone. I've seen them do Ride though.

They did play Disposable Heroes and quite early on. That was a nice surprise (although I did see them do the entire MoP back in the day which was hellacool).

No real problem with the Black Album. I take it you aren't into the Unforgiven then lol. I wouldn't have done God That Failed but I'd take it anyday over the werewolf song they've been doing from the same album. TBH aside from those two and Don't Tread I love that record, but I can find good in all periods of Metallica (I'm as much a classic rock guy as a metal guy).

Hope you and the lad are having fun, I assume it's underway by now!

EDIT: OK this is weird. I've thought for years I watched them do the entire MoP and having checked the setlist they most certainly did not. I have also not seen them do Ride the Lightning. Full on Mandela Effect!

Edited by Drakesmoke at 20:24:04 20-06-2019
  • thelzdking 21 Jun 2019 09:02:11 9,475 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    On my way to see Incantation. Should be good.
  • Bichii 21 Jun 2019 10:39:19 1,859 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Drakesmoke was amazing. Annnnd they played ride the lightening!!! Was the third song. Can't believe they did lords of summer over spit out the bone again :/. The first third was epic middle was meh end third epic. Middle was full of the slower stuff. Easily my two high points were lightning and puppets. I always find at stadium gigs the sound is pretty terrible. Never seen them live so I got to really appreciate the drums being out of time on several occasions :). They were brilliant though. Even got an Orion bass tribute for cliff.
  • Duffking 21 Jun 2019 10:44:44 16,262 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Any good new releases today?
  • Bichii 22 Jun 2019 18:42:25 1,859 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Thursday was so good I've been at a loss what to do since. :). Need that level of buzz again.
  • Drakesmoke 23 Jun 2019 09:09:38 570 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Bichii glad you enjoyed it. For some really annoying reason Twickenham is out now at the live metallica site - with Manchester still pending*. Scan the QR code on your ticket and it's yours for free.

EDIT - regards the sound, at Manchester it took three songs for them to dial it in. Hardwired opened it and was just mud, albeit you could hear the vocals well.

Throughout though, the kick drum was far too boomy and overpowering and I thought the snare was too quiet. My drummer friend suggested that Lars was basically tickling it on the faster parts which he thought contributed to that.

That scooped mids guitar tone often does struggle live though, it's basically not where guitar is supposed to sit sonically.

*I wonder if it's a copyright issue with the Stone Roses.

Edited by Drakesmoke at 09:16:01 23-06-2019

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.