Following The Official Metal Appreciation Thread® Page 411

• Deleted user 10 August 2019 08:28:50
    Yeah I really like the new one. I agree though the third one is still their best.
  • DakeyrasUK 10 Aug 2019 08:48:08 3,491 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Have always like Slipknott, and for me Iowa is their best album. 3rd and 4th I never got on with as much as the other 3. The latest is another fine album (only had 2 play throughs on travel to Amsterdam so far) though not sure I prefer it to the last yet.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 14 Aug 2019 19:42:13 12,041 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Cargo shorts at the ready

GWAR and Voivod are doing a uk tour together at the end of the year
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 15 Aug 2019 22:59:27 12,041 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I would have been so into this in 2005

• StixxUK 18 Aug 2019 18:05:27 8,260 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Just got back from ArcTanGent

Great little festival, saw some incredible bands. Highlights included Cult of Luna with the most epic post-metal show I've ever seen. Can't imagine anyone else creating such an atmosphere on such a big stage. On a similar theme The Ocean and 65daysofstatic were all great too.

Carpenter Brut was also a brilliant show - a whole festival crowd signing along to Maniac was a special experience.

Meshuggah were Meshuggah so 10/10 by default.

Mustn't forget Big Lad as well who opened the festival with a statement of intent covering Aphex Twin's Come to Daddy!

Edited by StixxUK at 18:10:55 18-08-2019
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 22 Aug 2019 11:11:58 12,041 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Behemoth announced as the support for the Slipknot tour in the new year

That's gonna be a hell of a show
  • drhickman1983 2 Sep 2019 18:58:53 6,281 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's a tad problematic since I heard about their associations but I'll be lying if I said I didn't like the new Mgla album.

It's not real ground breaking though, just picking up where Exercises Futility left off.
  • Deleted user 2 September 2019 22:01:10
    Yeah I struggle to enjoy their music now I know they're at best fash-adjacent.
  • drhickman1983 2 Sep 2019 22:36:53 6,281 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, it's trickier. But then I've listened to and enjoyed Burzum and he's a much bigger cunt.

It'd be easier to cast aside if their music was shit or if they actually expressed fascistic views in the music.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 2 Sep 2019 22:50:08 12,041 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I think I spend more time doing background checks on black metal bands than I do listening to them these days
  • DrStrangelove 3 Sep 2019 16:27:54 14,828 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Probably a causal relationship. The more you learn about the backgrounds of BM bands, the less you listen to BM
  • TechnoHippy 3 Sep 2019 16:31:43 15,839 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I think most genres have their demons :-)
  • DrStrangelove 3 Sep 2019 16:50:19 14,828 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah they do, but even as someone coming from BM I can't deny the whole nazi thing is a bigger problem there than in other metal sub-genres. It may be in part to the immense influence of Varg, in part to the glorification of hatred, in part to all that teenage elitist pseudo-Nietzschean anti-Judeo-Christian "ideology", in part to the glorification of pre-Christian (and by extension, pre-"Judeo-Christian") Norse/Germanic culture. A lot of this BM-specific stuff uncomfortably overlaps with Heinrich Himmler's anti-Judeo-Christian branch of nazism.

I just don't see this shit having the same foothold in grindcore, death metal, thrash metal, or anything else.
  • OllyJ 4 Sep 2019 10:45:24 4,640 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Anyone excited about the new Atlantean Kodex?

I AM!
  • OllyJ 4 Sep 2019 10:59:02 4,640 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
  • Deleted user 12 September 2019 08:13:52
    @DrStrangelove

I think fascism-adjacency is a bigger issue. So many in the culture will hide behind the "we're not political" shtick, even Satanic Warmaster desire one of his songs ending with him screaming "white supremacy." If nothing else, it gives succour to fascists and precipitates a wider cultural embedding of some of its elements. People are able to claim they don't subscribe to fascist doctrine; they merely hold many of its views or believe it's a valid position.

Thankfully, the culture is tiny and the vast majority of its participants are pathetic.

Anyway...

Drastus - La Croix de Sang

Some of the best black metal to come out of France in a long time.
  • StixxUK 12 Sep 2019 11:05:52 8,260 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Anyone going to see Max and Iggor do old Sepultura songs in December?

Also, just saw Megadeath are supporting 5 Finger Death Punch. What the actual fuck?
  • RichDC 12 Sep 2019 11:08:39 8,655 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    StixxUK wrote:
    Didn't know it was a thing. Sounds good!
  • MrAGSystems 12 Sep 2019 11:56:16 392 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    StixxUK wrote:
    Also, just saw Megadeath are supporting 5 Finger Death Punch. What the actual fuck?
    Sad trumpet noises (in 17/32).
  • Beetroot_Bertie 12 Sep 2019 16:32:48 464 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Any thoughts on new Tool?

I'm enjoying it, but it feels a little too reserved to me, a little repetitive throughout and a touch over familiar in some ways. I'm hoping I'll appreciate it more over time but for the moment it's feels a little unexciting although beautifully hypnotic and atmospheric at times.
  • MrAGSystems 12 Sep 2019 16:47:23 392 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    Pretty much the same. It's much better than 10,000 Days, but there's a huge pang of "heard it all before" (and done better to boot).

It's nice to hear new material, but I'll never reach for it over Aenemia or Lateralus.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 12 Sep 2019 19:17:17 12,041 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    StixxUK wrote:
    I really want to see this. I've not been into a new album by Max in years and years but seeing the brothers doing the classics. Hell yes.
  • Bazooklad 12 Sep 2019 22:00:11 126 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Beetroot_Bertie yeah bit the bullet and got a copy today. It’s going to need a few listens. A bit too esoteric but good to hear new material. It’s been so long they’ve bound to evolve their writing. I get the feeling that you’re listening to only half of a album - if that makes sense. To be honest I’ve been listening to a lot of Killing Joke - so have a taste for some bite in my music. Ironic KJ are supporting TOOL in the states.
    Finally there’s a good chance that TOOL may release another album sooner than later.
  • wuntyate 13 Sep 2019 12:36:00 13,490 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    *SHAMELESS PLUG ALERT*

So been working on this for a few months. Me and my mate, bit tired of the whole live gigs / recording / finding new band mates cycle have decided to try things on our lonesome. Between us we gone and done this here EP which is on all streaming things and shit from today:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pyrph%C3%B3ros-Mamoulean/dp/B07WNSWV3X/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=the+mamoulean&qid=1568371676&s=dmusic&sr=1-1

Very much a learning process creating this, it's by no means perfect but hopefully we've learned a bit and our next will be better. Even so, quite proud of finally trying and doing it ourselves with software and gear we own rather than relying on someone else as I've never learned anything by doing that.
  • StixxUK 13 Sep 2019 20:44:15 8,260 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    New Crypt Sermon is out today and is fucking immense. Riffage for days.

• MrAGSystems 14 Sep 2019 15:54:49 392 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    Revisiting Swallowed's "Lunarterial" at the minute and loving every second. Sounds like Autopsy trying to open an interdimensional portal.

https://youtu.be/p3SlnJdnZUA
  • StixxUK 14 Sep 2019 16:06:33 8,260 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @wuntyphyve I like it, epic sounding stuff!

I'm guessing the theme is Greek Mythology from the name and imagery, although I googled Mamoulean and only found your band... where's the name from?
  • wuntyate 14 Sep 2019 16:16:19 13,490 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @StixxUK thanks man!!! Yeah these ones are all Greek mythology, thinking of doing a nautical theme for the next ep which will hopefully new a slight step up in quality as I learn a bit more....!

Hard to get an original name these days! This comes from the antagonist in Clive Barker's the damnation game. His surname is Mamoulian so I just tweaked it to get it a bit different.
  • OllyJ 16 Sep 2019 09:05:39 4,640 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @StixxUK Have you had a listen to the new Atlantean Kodex? It's similar sounding in a way.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.