Following The Official Metal Appreciation Thread® Page 417

• simpleexplodingmaybe 15 May 2020 15:34:36 14,876 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I think they’ve proven themselves with an evolving sound and longevity and some killer songs but gimmicky numetal toss for edgelord babies was a very widely held opinion back when that first album came out and not without some justification
  • StixxUK 16 May 2020 08:49:28 8,403 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    New Paradise Lost came out yesterday.

It's brilliant, bringing back a bit of the catchy Gothic rock but keeping the heaviness. Just a brilliant band at their peak.

32 years in and only the drummer having changed (among many changes in style). Good fucking going guys, I hope this record gets the recognition it deserves.
  • richardiox 16 May 2020 09:01:45 8,994 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @StixxUK

Funnily enough I listened to Icon yesterday. Incredible record.
  • RichDC 16 May 2020 09:14:16 8,930 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Sulpher Aeon have been a good discovery this week, ig you like a bit of Lovecraft inspired death.

• drhickman1983 16 May 2020 09:29:50 7,120 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
  • robthehermit 18 May 2020 13:43:32 7,985 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    StixxUK wrote:

It's brilliant, bringing back a bit of the catchy Gothic rock but keeping the heaviness. Just a brilliant band at their peak.

32 years in and only the drummer having changed (among many changes in style). Good fucking going guys, I hope this record gets the recognition it deserves.
    Listening to it now, I love a bit of Paradise Lost. They did a great set in one of the tents at Sonisphere a few years ago. Can't remember of they were on right before or right after Sisters of Mercy, but whichever way round it was, it was a cracking night.
  • TechnoHippy 18 May 2020 14:17:03 17,841 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    StixxUK wrote:

ooh - missed this - and happily it's on Prime so that's my music sorted for the afternoon :-)
  • wuntyate 18 May 2020 14:25:55 15,468 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    RichDC wrote:
    Sulpher Aeon have been a good discovery this week, ig you like a bit of Lovecraft inspired death.

Ohhh now I love that quite a lot. never heard of these guys before. Nice one.
  • wuntyate 18 May 2020 15:39:46 15,468 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @MrAGSystems Nice one chief, I'll check them out as well, cheers!
  • Tuffty 29 May 2020 07:52:41 4,646 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    If you asked me a year ago how I would have felt about the news that Vektor are making new music, I would have been ecstatic. But with all the allegations around David, I just cant bring myself to it anymore, shame.

Someone earlier int his thread recommended Obscura and I've been really enjoying it. While it sounds like Stefan is rather difficult to be with, they did announce the original guitar and bass player have come back into the band so that's pretty surprising. Good to hear they're working on new stuff too.
  • StixxUK 30 May 2020 22:13:52 8,403 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    If anyone isn't feeling quite old enough, apparently Maiden's Brave New World is 20...

Thought they were already getting on when that came out!
  • StixxUK 16 Jun 2020 19:46:00 8,403 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    New album by Ulthar is phenomenal blackened death metal or deathened black metal or something.

Did anyone watch the Download "virtual festival"content over the weekend? It was actually quite decent evoking some good memories. Had a chat open with some mates is normally attend festivals with and a beer or two.

Probably going to have to overcompensate next year with as many festivals as possible!

edit: and also Hellfest from home this weekend! Looks good, and even has set times!

Edited by StixxUK at 19:22:13 18-06-2020
  • drhickman1983 7 Jul 2020 08:49:59 7,120 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Not exactly new but I'm really, really enjoying that Blut Aus Nord album from last year, Hallucinogen
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 7 Jul 2020 09:06:45 14,876 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    After ages of not being excited by new music and mostly sticking to the same handful of bands I’ve listened to forever I’ve been branching out again recently

Green Lung and Witch Taint leading the charge
  • drhickman1983 14 Jul 2020 09:21:54 7,120 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's not really metal but she's from a metal background and I've not seen a folk thread, but Myrkur's Folksange album is pretty nice.

I wouldn't call it catchy but the mood and atmosphere it conjures is quite engrossing.
  • TechnoHippy 14 Jul 2020 12:36:37 17,841 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Mykur gets a lot of shit, but I quite like some of her stuff.
  • drhickman1983 14 Jul 2020 13:21:01 7,120 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I do too. Just in case there any confusion from anyone, I wasn't saying that none of her stuff is metal. It definitely is.

But her new album is definitely not metal, and is entirely folk.
  • Bichii 14 Jul 2020 13:23:45 3,596 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Ordered Metallica, megadeth and slayer face masks today seeing as this new rule about shops next week comes in. I am going to look so cool,maybe the coolest in town.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 14 Jul 2020 13:55:08 14,876 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Bichii get a St Anger one and you’ll have no issue with maintaining social distancing
  • Bichii 14 Jul 2020 14:11:37 3,596 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Haha I just got plain ones with the logos like this.

https://owndesignshirt.com/wp-content/plugins/wccp-pro/watermark.php?&src=/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/Metallica-rock-band-full-printing-face-mask-1.jpg&w=1

There was a great slayer one but very inappropriate.
  • Tuffty 15 Jul 2020 19:12:27 4,646 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I'm so fucking excited for the new Unleash The Archers album. They released a new song Soulbound today and its just glorious heavy power metal. Their story telling is also pretty good, Im strangely invested in the last albums tale of an Immortal warrior carrying out the bidding of the evil Matriarch and this album is a continuation of it.
  • drhickman1983 4 Aug 2020 18:52:11 7,120 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    New Anaal Nathrakh

I do like Anaal Nathrakh but it's as much down to what they say in interviews. This is in the liner notes of the new album:

"There has been, and continues to be, increasingly widespread rejection of Enlightenment-style values such as rationalism, skepticism, the rejection of faith in favour of judgements dependent on empirically verifiable phenomena and so on. There are local versions in many places, but in our native UK, this was summed up by politician/sinister gnome Michael Gove's famous claim that we've 'had enough of experts'. Thus we enter the age of endarkenment."

"Politician / Sinister Gnome" made me chuckle.
  • StixxUK 5 Aug 2020 11:15:13 8,403 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    New Mastodon song, sounds like all the eras of Mastodon mashed up. Some average moments, some great ones. Quite a lot happening in 4 minutes!

Plus Scott Kelly so it's automatically one of their better tracks

• Rodpad 7 Aug 2020 12:57:58 2,997 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @StixxUK Can't get past that muddy mixing sadly.
  • Bichii 7 Aug 2020 23:28:21 3,596 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I've been listening to so much metal of late. Trying to discover new bands etc and I've found some stuff that's great but nothing over the decades touch megadeth for me.

Killing is my business
    Peace sells
    Rust in peace
    Symphony
    Youth
    Endgame
    Dystopia
    (and maybe two or three others that are almost as good)

No other band I've come across has this many amazing albums over the years.

The newer stuff mostly annoys me. And most bands I see in EG comments I check out like rotting Christ I can't get past the annoying shouting/noise coming out of the front man. Sure there was some great moments in their music but then the vocals come back in.

Edit. As I finish off typing this the conjuring starts, doesn't get better than this track.

Edited by Bichii at 23:30:21 07-08-2020

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.