Following The Official Metal Appreciation Threadģ Page 418

• Bichii 7 Aug 2020 23:38:27 3,596 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    StixxUK wrote:
    Whaaaat? Peace sells is ten times the record Countdown is!

I like Rust in Peace as much as the next guy and Youthanasia is fine and all but Peace Sells.... That's the one for me.

And Mustaine's voice is legendary!
    Facts. After first listen I said peace sells was a bit meh. Wtf was I on? Up there with rust in peace as my perfect albums.
  • TechnoHippy 8 Aug 2020 11:49:53 17,842 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Peace Sells was probably the high point for Megadeth for me too.
  • Bichii 8 Aug 2020 13:00:51 3,596 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Think I'll go

Perfection:
    Rust in peace
    Peace sells

Classics:
    Symphony
    Killing is my business

Amazing:
    Endgame
    Dystopia
    Youthanisa
    So far so good

Then the rest are pretty good but inconsistent.

Only black Sabbath for me have as many great metal albums.
  • TechnoHippy 8 Aug 2020 13:36:10 17,842 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I was about to argue Metallica having as many, but to be fair they turned into a more heavy blues after And Justice.
  • Bichii 8 Aug 2020 13:53:41 3,596 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I do love me some Metallica as well I just think megadeth have been more consistent.

Perfect:
    Ride the lightening

Classic:
    Kill em all
    Master of puppets

Amazing:
    Justice
    Black album

Very good:
    Load
    Hardwired

The rest for me are pretty average or bad.
  • TechnoHippy 8 Aug 2020 14:51:39 17,842 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I lost interest in Megadeth back in the 90s - I enjoyed their earlier albums, but they seemed to lose it for a while and I never bothered going back.

Maiden did a similar thing - I've not enjoyed anything post Powerslave, but to be fair I've not listened to anything relatively recent.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 8 Aug 2020 19:12:16 14,876 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Maidenís albums since the reunion with Bruce have all been decent. Not that many iconic new songs but the ones they do play hold their own in the set list.

I think St Anger is only straightforwardly bad Metallica album. Reload, Hardwired and Death Magnetic all have high points but so much forgettable stuff too. The rest all ranges from good to perfect for me.

Megadeth Iíve always struggled to get passed Mustaineís vocals. They were always my least favourite of the Big Four.

No surprise but Iíd throw Sepultura in there as a band who have been extremely consistent as an albums band. Both eras.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 8 Aug 2020 19:13:11 14,876 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    and Slayer of course but their sound evolved so little consistency canít be too difficult
  • TechnoHippy 8 Aug 2020 19:14:23 17,842 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    For long running bands I think Paradise Lost remain my favourite - I've enjoyed all the phases of their evolution.
  • StixxUK 21 Aug 2020 07:29:24 8,403 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Maybe not metal... But Deftones have released a new song (new album due in a month or so)

It's decent but not heavy. The riff has kind of a quirky battles-esque feel. Keen to see how the album turns out.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 21 Aug 2020 08:03:25 14,876 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Iím really liking it so far. Saturday Night Wrist was the last time I was really into a new album of theirís but this is pushing the right buttons for me

Edited by simpleexplodingmaybe at 08:03:36 21-08-2020
  • StixxUK 21 Aug 2020 09:05:00 8,403 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    See I loved Diamond Eyes and Koi No Yokan (for the most part, there were a few weak tracks but the strong ones were fantastic)... I really wanted to like Gore but it didn't strike the same chord with me.

And Pink Cellphone literally ruins Saturday Night Wrist. Reissue it without that fucking awful thing please guys!!

Edited by StixxUK at 09:05:59 21-08-2020
  • christourlord 21 Aug 2020 09:47:49 2,854 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I also didn't get on with Gore and recently read that Stephen Carpenter was pretty much checked-out for that album, which explains the very un-Deftonesy guitars through most of the album.

I like the new sound they are going for. The single is maybe not their strongest offering (the chorus vocals aren't sitting well with the rest of the band for me), but I can imagine it working well across their usual range of material.

Always excited for a new Deftones album, even if it doesn't end up a favourite.
  • StixxUK 21 Aug 2020 10:02:34 8,403 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Also looking at the tracklist it's the last song on the album, feels like it'll make sense in that context (obviously depending on the other songs).

It's growing on me
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 21 Aug 2020 10:17:24 14,876 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Iím pretty sure Chino has said that theyíve basically disowned SNW as the band were in a bad place recording it and the vibes are all wrong on it.

Itís a shame because it washes over me in just the right way, after the first three itís probably my favourite
  • Tuffty 23 Aug 2020 09:44:48 4,646 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    With the release of their new album on Friday, its safe to say that Unleash The Archers is one of my favourite bands going right now. Just talented all round with energetic power metal songs. Typically power metal isn't my thing but they do a decent job injecting some death metal influences in the music too and have good lyrics that can tell a good story which prevents it sounding samey.

Edited by Tuffty at 09:45:31 23-08-2020
  • StixxUK 26 Aug 2020 06:19:43 8,403 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Beyond gutted to hear that Riley Gale from Power Trip has died.

One of the very best, perhaps the most exciting frontman and band in metal over the last few years. Absolutely devastated for the band, his family and friends, and the metal community.
  • Tuffty 26 Aug 2020 15:47:16 4,646 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Its such a brutal gut punch. Really like Power Trip and the stories coming out today of Riley being the nicest guy to anyone and everyone is really sad and I feel for all those who knew him personally, sounds like they were lucky to know him. Fuck this fucking year.

Edited by Tuffty at 15:50:42 26-08-2020
  • Drakesmoke 28 Aug 2020 08:48:00 654 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    S&M2 is out today. Just listened to maybe a third on Spotify. I have the super deluxe pre-order arriving today so am leaving my listening there until I can watch the blu ray over the weekend.

Vocally Hetfield is not in the same shape as the first but it's been superb. Only criticism is I'd like more bass. You can hear Rob and he's doing some excellent Cliffisms but it just needs more IMO.

I've also heard a really raw leak (mobile phone recording in pocket in the same room as speakers raw) of the reported new Deftones single. Interesting. Reminded me a bit of Gore in the vocals for better or worse (maybe a bit LMIRL) and was a bit Depeche Mode in the verses, but interspersed with palm mutey thrashy bits following the chord progression.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 28 Aug 2020 09:03:40 14,876 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I think Iíd like a rawer sound to Deftones in general, theyíve had quite a lush thick produced sounding vibe for awhile
  • Drakesmoke 28 Aug 2020 09:47:23 654 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @simpleexplodingmaybe

Apologies. I was talking about the fact the leak was crap. Judging from the single I don't think we're in for a raw album.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 28 Aug 2020 10:21:51 14,876 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I know, Iíd still a little more bite here and there though
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 28 Aug 2020 10:25:01 14,876 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Back in secondary school when I was off ďsickĒ I used to play Final Fantasy 7 with the volume off and the original S&M playing instead.

The new one sounds pretty cool although bringing back anything from St Anger for it is still a bit weird.

Iím also totally blown away by how young they were when they did S&M1. Papa Het has seem so old for so long and all of a sudden Iím in my mid 30s and the same age or older than them when they were Ďpast ití in the late 90s
  • Drakesmoke 29 Aug 2020 08:15:42 654 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I watched the first half of S&M2 last night and wow, it's fantastic, both in terms of the performance and the filming. The orchestra has a lot more clarity than the original, I actually think the more balanced bass helps, the original was more of just a big, unified bombast.

One stark difference though from back in the day is all the crowd holding up mobile phones to film it for Insta. Metal!
  • drhickman1983 2 Sep 2020 18:08:43 7,120 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago

A rare Anaal Nathrakh lyric video.

I think I like them more than most here, but you have to give props to the Monty Python reference in the second verse. Even the pronunciation is correct.
  • TechnoHippy 2 Sep 2020 18:17:02 17,842 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I've not listened to much of their stuff before, but I do quite like that song. And as you say - fun reference.
  • Beetroot_Bertie 10 Sep 2020 21:58:20 519 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Dunno if this has been posted before but it made me smile :)

• drhickman1983 22 Sep 2020 19:26:41 7,120 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Been listening to the Napalm Death album. I sometimes find their music a bit impenetrable but one thing I do love on this record is Barney's vocals.

Seems to employ a few different screams, at times going into a higher register than I'm accustomed to him doing, on a few occasions bordering on black metal shrieks instead of the more gutteral sounds. (not saying it's new for him, just not really heard it before).

I think i like the album, but im not sure.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 22 Sep 2020 23:48:52 14,876 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ive always liked the idea of Napalm Death a lot more than the reality of them but i am digging this album. Thereís something almost Godflesh-y about the slower sounds which Im very into.
  • thelzdking 22 Sep 2020 23:53:50 10,218 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've been enjoying it.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.