• FoxMoody 23 Sep 2020 08:58:22 104 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 4 months ago

It's like i'm 17 again.

Edited by FoxMoody at 08:58:48 23-09-2020
  • Bichii 23 Sep 2020 18:55:48 3,606 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Just finished a play through of seasons in the abyss while popping to the shops and cooking dinner. My god I think it might be my favourite slayer album. I always thought it would be reign in blood but I think this one has a bit more variety and tempo switches which is what I prefer. Think my neck needs a break.
  • EMarkM 23 Sep 2020 19:02:29 5,065 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Reign In Blood is still chuffin’ fantastibles, though :)
  • Bichii 23 Sep 2020 19:15:19 3,606 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Oh hell yes, it's still one of my favourite albums but I think seasons has a bit more hmmmm panache :)
  • EMarkM 23 Sep 2020 19:26:10 5,065 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Bichii wrote:
    Oh hell yes, it's still one of my favourite albums but I think seasons has a bit more hmmmm panache :)
    And this week, on "Phrases No One Was Expecting"...
  • StixxUK 23 Sep 2020 19:26:20 8,404 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Stoked for new Deftones this Friday. Didn't love either of the singles initially but they've grown on me a lot! Looking forward to hearing the rest!
  • Drakesmoke 23 Sep 2020 19:56:11 660 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @StixxUK you can hear it right now should you like to.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 24 Sep 2020 00:11:27 14,888 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    StixxUK wrote:
    Stoked for new Deftones this Friday. Didn't love either of the singles initially but they've grown on me a lot! Looking forward to hearing the rest!
    So far the two singles are probably the tracks of theirs I’ve been into most since Saturday Night Wrist
  • Drakesmoke 24 Sep 2020 09:25:34 660 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It's a mixed bag and I think a bit of a grower, probably tbf not unusual for that band. There's one song called 'The Spell of Mathematics' that I put in their top drawer so far.

I'll still always like Saturday Night Wrist best, which seems uncommon.
  • RichDC 24 Sep 2020 10:54:38 8,930 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Maybe a bit to proggy/power for most tastes in this thread but... new Ayreon tomorrow! \o/
  • StixxUK 24 Sep 2020 11:18:29 8,404 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @Drakesmoke can't be bothered with pirating stuff, I'll wait for tomorrow!

@simpleexplodingmaybe I bloody loved Diamond Eyes and Koi No Yokan. Gore felt like a side project

Edited by StixxUK at 11:21:26 24-09-2020
  • Drakesmoke 24 Sep 2020 12:29:43 660 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @StixxUK I know what you mean, and it seems harder than it used to be, and with people not routinely syncing ipods and streaming these days I get why piracy is less of a thing. One of a tiny handful of bands I'd put he effort in to pirate still though. Theoretically.

DE felt like an uber slick, 'this is what Deftones sound like/greatest hits' effort. Very good songs but not pushing many boundaries. Their Black Album IMO.

Koi is a God damned masterpiece and to me will probably always stand as the best of the Sergio era.

Gore has its moments, mired by terrible production, a fractured band and allowing too may 90s alt rock influences that didn't suit them in. I still overall love it, just think it's flawed.

Whatever I think of individual albums, they always have something and band will always be special and you may not be blown away by Ohms (some people are however) but I doubt you'll be disappointed.

There is one song that uses the Gore style vocal melodies just to warn you!

Edited by Drakesmoke at 12:33:44 24-09-2020
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 24 Sep 2020 12:51:14 14,888 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ive found everything a bit too slicky produced since SNW for my tastes (same for selftitled too) but this feels a bit more energised.

Although i admit those albums could be great amd i just wasnt receptive
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 24 Sep 2020 12:52:39 14,888 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I only just discovered there’d been a new Jesu ep in the summer and album possibly this autumn.

A lot more electronic and beat based but feels a good companion to a Deftones revival
  • StixxUK 25 Sep 2020 08:58:15 8,404 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    So... thoughts on the new 'tones after a couple of listens

It's pretty energetic, rocky, accessible. Also quite smooth and some different sounds from them. Fairly synthy but very much as an accompaniment to the heaviness.

I really like it so far, almost to the point I'm worried it's too easy to get into and might not have the growing/staying power of their best work... Overall though I'm loving it, very much not disappointed.
  • Bichii 25 Sep 2020 19:24:30 3,606 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Is there a better transition between songs on a metal album than postmortem to raining blood!? So sweet every time.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 25 Sep 2020 20:52:52 14,888 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @StixxUK that mosh riff in Error makes me miss metal club nights
  • convz 25 Sep 2020 22:14:22 1,207 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Anyone listened to the new Alpha Wolf? It's sooooo good https://open.spotify.com/album/5lhJd031Bu6j42O8wnXWIc
  • Bichii 26 Sep 2020 17:26:31 3,606 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Just finished a hot bath in which I listened to all of god hates us all for the first time ever. I feel like I've been assaulted. I think I love it but my god it's angry, even for slayer.
  • Drakesmoke 27 Sep 2020 00:32:45 660 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Wasn't a big fan of GHUA even at the time (when I just devoured anything metal whatsoever regardless of quality), although there are *some* great tracks for sure. I remember it being all over the Mary Ann Hobbs show back in the day!

I think World Painted Blood was a very good album and Christ Illusion before it was actually pretty awesome.

I love the new Deftones record after listening all week, although they always have that one tune I don't care for and on this one it's 'Link'. I reject the idea the record is some return to monstrous heaviness as some kids on Reddit etc are making out, but I don't need that at this point from them tbh anyway.

I'll say the packaging is cheap and nasty on both CD and vinyl, which is a shame as the artwork is so distinctive. Sonically the vinyl isn't brilliant either, not worth buying over the CD IMO. I played half of Garage Inc. on that format today and it completely showed it up (Metallica does get this right).

Edited by Drakesmoke at 00:33:50 27-09-2020
  • Drakesmoke 27 Sep 2020 00:39:29 660 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Speaking of baths, I've taken to listening to the Devin Townsend podcasts in there. It takes a few baths per podcast lol. He's doing episodes on all of his post-Vai albums and if you're familiar with him, as you can imagine goes on a lot of psych-existentialist tangents about his life at the time and his perspective after the event.

Really interesting stuff and what it then does it make you want to play the album afterwards. He did Ziltoid this week and my word, for all its silliness that is an amazing record.

I need to cut back on expensive music purchases really but I couldn't not pre-order the art book edition of his live show from the Empath Vol 1 tour. Sadly for me it's the London show and not the Manchester show I was at, but it was a special, special concert to me and I'm really looking forward to watching the ten piece band again. Morgan Agren was amazing on the kit.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 27 Sep 2020 00:47:16 14,888 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Drakesmoke Im not sure if heavier is quite the right word for Ohms but its got an energy and momentum to it that means it certainly rocks harder than they have for a long time
  • Drakesmoke 27 Sep 2020 01:10:57 660 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @simpleexplodingmaybe

I won't disagree with that. Bit of a Diamond Eyes style return to signature.
  • StixxUK 27 Sep 2020 19:46:20 8,404 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    (Ohms) seems to me a bit more straightforward perhaps than the last few records... Lyrically especially it seems a lot more literal and less abstract than I expect from them. Still bloody loving it though.
  • Bichii 30 Sep 2020 17:49:09 3,606 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I've been discovering so many amazing albums lately. Today is Ozzy's no rest for the wicked after coming across a video about how apparently underrated this album is. Is fucking awesome after first listen, how have I never heard this!!?
  • EMarkM 30 Sep 2020 19:22:25 5,065 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Bichii Agreed. Ozzy is well worth exploring again.

When you have five minutes (or hours...) revisit Led Zep and Deep Purple too; you won’t regret doing so, I promise you.
  • Bichii 30 Sep 2020 21:12:44 3,606 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @EMarkM oh led Zeppelin and black Sabbath are the two bands I know every single album back to front :). Black Sabbath are comfortably my favourite band ever. Then led zep, megadeth, slayer, Metallica, rolling stones fight out for the other spots below. Led Zeppelin probably number two but there are quite a few songs on certain albums I hate.

Edited by Bichii at 21:14:11 30-09-2020
  • PierrePressure 1 Oct 2020 12:08:44 1,184 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The new deftones album is great, best since White Pony IMO.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 1 Oct 2020 12:11:49 14,888 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Deep Purple have never done it for me. Alongside the other top guns of the classic hard rock canon I just don’t think they’ve got the songs.
  • wuntyate 1 Oct 2020 12:20:23 15,481 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    PierrePressure wrote:
    The new deftones album is great, best since White Pony IMO.
    I haven't listened to Deftones since White Pony. May need to check it out.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.